Canada Computers Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun workplace for any and all computer enthusiasts
Sales and customer service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 12, 2016
Work consists of sales mostly and helping customers find items and talking to them about computers and other related technologies. Co-workers are also like minded people interested in computer systems and there possible applications. Management is nice and accommodating to employees but too lenient in some areas. Hardest part of the job would be re-tagging the store (not that it's difficult in the first place) and the most enjoyable part of work would be discussing computer systems with customers and employees alike.
Pros
Flexible hours, No hard labour, Good co-workers
Cons
Tasks are not well enforced leading to things not being done for days/weeks
Unreasonable with no room for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONFebruary 4, 2016
- only a place to get temporary financial aid
- negative work culture depending on which store you work at
- high expectations for productivity yet does not compensate demand with proper income
Pros
won't ever fire you
Cons
won't fire people who needs to be fired
Great prospects, rocky Head Office
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ONOctober 14, 2015
Canada Computers was the first job where I actually felt like I could use it as a permanent career, sadly they switched off a hard commission style and although they stuck with a great starting wage it was no where near what I was making before and caused lots of personal stress.

Co-Workers were on and off good and bad, although everyone was competent and fun to work with there was a lot of school yard antics and backstabbing going on.
Pros
Great starting pay, Busy enviroment never boring
Cons
Staff can be a bit cuthroat, Head Office can be difficult to deal with
A Tech Heaven Run by the Wrong People
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONAugust 11, 2015
As a Service Technician I got to build and repair computers for a living. It was a tech heaven. I got to get my hands on the latest and greatest hardware and really enjoyed my day to day work. I got to converse with customers about computer parts and help guide them on their choices. Essentially I got paid to talk about what I love and to build awesome systems.

The pay was better than any other retail computer technician job I have ever been at. The raises were few and far between but were massive when you got them. I went up by $4.25 an hour in the 3 1/2 years I worked there.

The downside was the management and the higher ups at head office. Few if any people that were supervisors, store managers or at head office knew how to do their job properly. Their screwups made my job harder every day because I constantly had to call customers and let them know things would take way longer than it should have if it had to do with RMA's or special order parts.
Pros
Get to play with a lot of fun toys, great pay and raises
Cons
poor management and higher ups
Great place to work, poor management
TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 4, 2015
Worked as tech for one month, you get to work with the latest technology, direct interaction with customers which was fun.

A typical day at work included a number of PCs to troubleshoot, answer customer calls, build new custom PCs. Return items. Calling customers

I learned how to interact with Canadian customers.
Management was Chinese and it was difficult to understand instructions because of English spoken in Chinese accent.

The hardest part was entering returns from customers in the online software.

Most enjoyable part was building High configuration computer systems.

Co-workers were very good, but the existing Techs were clearly jealous and insecure.

I was fired when I was actually starting to get a better understanding of what was required from me.
Pros
Get to work with latest technology
Cons
Uncooperative managemet
Great Place to Work
Computer Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Ajax, OntarioJuly 24, 2015
This is one of the best places to start building a career in technology. Both the customers and staff make the job extremely fulfilling and working with the most up to date technology provides you with a great groundwork.
Its a different style to work for
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  HamiltonMarch 18, 2015
Canada Computers is a stressful environment driven by success however, the company needs to learn to keep the stress level down and assist management with it. the job culture is not the greatest when i worked their however, they are always looking for new ways to improve. if you have patients to wait and improve with them than its a great opportunity.
Pros
great way to improve computer knowledge
Cons
very stressful environment
Pretty good working experience, mid management
Senior Sales - Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 4, 2015
Great to talk computers with customers, learned a lot of computer hardware/software knowledge, hardest part of the job is to dealt with problematic customers.

Most enjoyable of the job is to find newest technology daily.
Most latest technological environment
Computer Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 17, 2014
It is a good place to work. Everyday work with a new problem and solving part. Experience from co-worker as well as from customer too. The most hardest part is customer handling and talking over phone.
Pros
able to learn new product
Cons
long our
Unprofessional
Sales (Former Employee) –  WaterlooSeptember 8, 2014
They let me go through email which was directed to my spam inbox, I wouldn't have known about it if it wasn't for my colleague asking why I wasn't on schedule.
Productive environment
Sales (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJuly 26, 2014
We work as part as a team and everyone is motivated to do their best at work. Staff and Management are both supportive and co-operative.
Pros
knowledge enhancing working environment and continuous updating in it and products
Cons
pre-set work schedule and vacations are difficult to obtain
time is fexible
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 11, 2014
what you learned:

can learned different skills on there

a typical day at work:

with different person work together
Decent work place
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto,ONMarch 13, 2014
Ideal if you speak cantonese. Most who work there are nice. There's nothing difficult about the job.
Review a lot of updated Computer Products
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 14, 2014
Manage the inventory
Communicate with team, Marketing, Accounting, Receiving, Stores, Corporate sales.
Build relationship with Vendors, Distributors.
Plan how to achieve the goals
Bring in new products which can benefit the company.
Pros
products knowledge
Cons
too many issues
Terrible Management / 8-9 Shifts / No Overtime
Senior Sales/Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 28, 2014
It was a terrible place to work. What can I say? You need to speak an Asian language in order to work there to understand emails or anything management says. They don't even speak English in most morning meetings. I didnt get one cent paid while I worked there. The management shows no compassion whatsoever if you have a death in the family or problems at work. Stay very far away from this company.
Pros
i am not working for them anymore
Cons
they are still in business
Not impressed
Receiver/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONJanuary 21, 2014
Management was terrible and immature. Not much support or equity.
Pros
cool product, nice customers
Cons
unprofessional and power tripping management.
workplace was fastpaced and fun
Smartphone consultant (Former Employee) –  Ajax, ONDecember 3, 2013
it was ok, it really fun for anyone who loves tech i learned to fix smart phones
Excellent Experiance
Pro Audio Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 28, 2013
Understanding managers, great team, respectful environment, Learned about products in MY field of interest.
Pros
9-5, steady scheduling
Cons
large shipments, heavy lifting.
Fun to work with CC if you're a nerd, but overall "meh" experience
Supervisor and/or Acting-Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONNovember 17, 2013
A typical day at work was one that was overloaded, understaffed, frustrating, too often unsafe, and even just entirely nonsensical. What made it bearable were my fantastic co-workers, and a sense of satisfaction from helping grateful clients. During my time with CC, I honed my 6th sense for customer satisfaction, learned about operating a store, and learned to run a company like an evil corporatist!

Reconciling my personal beliefs with the head office style of operation was my greatest difficulty. In essence, the company is run much like an authoritarian dictatorship turning a profit at the expense of the physical and mental health of its employees (especially managers). Not only did most staff have little to no means of contesting their crazy policies, poor attitudes, and general disrespect and inattention (other than threatening with legal action), they were dismissed and even somewhat shunned people for pressing matters further.

The stores are typically understaffed, workloads are defined by impossible standards, and if certain criteria were not met the punishment was either severe to one's standing or compensation was cut. For example, even though most factors about certain store issues were out of my store hands (clientele demographics, store location and size), my bonuses were stripped away based on what was a biased and convoluted grading system by HO-designated individuals that had no previous reason to be involved in those operations. Plus, even though the end was customer satisfaction, I was repeatedly met with bureaucratic red-tape, conflicting policies, and a lot
  more... of full-circle "talk to this person" looping.

Moreover, not once in the 2+ years did HO send out any from HR to check on health and safety standards of their stores, truly campaign to better relations between them and the rest of the stores, and resolve their arguably illegal aspects of their operation. Instead, they ignored our repeated calls for help until we broke policy and took matters into our own hands, they made it more convoluted to earn commissions and bonuses (and easier to lose them), and I doubt the owner would be making millions if he paid a fair share to those he owes.
Pros
i got to touch and sell fancy toys, and help people with real problems
Cons
i absolutely hated the head office culture
Boring and stuck up
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 23, 2013
Rudest place ever, the treated you like garbage and when you did good, they still found something to complain about. greedy people