Canada Computers Employee Review

View all Canada Computers reviews

Average pay, but always expected to do more.
Retail Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 August 2013
As the Manager I was to oversee the staff and day to day operations. However, the way that upper management viewed us, we were to be on call 24/7 and expected to work overtime hours without any compensation other than "It's what we expect.".
In this job I learned how to manage resources, staff and finances. I always put safety first and worked hard.
Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that I was working in a computer retail environment, I wouldn't have stayed as long as I did.
The company was managed in a way that if you didn't fit into their racial culture, there would always be some push back. The upper-management I felt always talked down to us. I enjoyed interacting with our regular customers and developing a relationship with them.
Pros
Employee discount on purchases
Cons
Very long hours, extremely high expectations, constantly worked feeling that everything I did was not enough.

Other Canada Computers Employee Reviews

travail
Superviseur/Assistant Gérant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 January 2018
C'étais un travail intéressant, mais très demandant.
Great if you like computers, but not a great place to work at
Merchandiser/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON19 December 2017
I was a sales clerk when I started, the company stresses the importance of selling their DRP plan, and yet my superior denies me the chance to sell them by not allowing me to go behind the counter to sell the more valuable hardware like CPU, Motherboard, Hard drives, etc. all of which the plan is catered to. My colleagues ends up getting a hefty commission bonus and praise, and all I got was a berating

No respect for seniority. During my time there were several new employees whom came after me, one of which I personally show him the ropes from scratch, in no time he was promoted over me and starts to boss me around.

The hours are long and the schedules are inflexible, missed many social events and gathering with family and friends. Lunch break is short, they expect you to get back to work even if you still have some time left, so as long as you're done eating. The rotation is also ridiculous, it's often 3pm before I get to eat lunch.

Management is lacking in giving praise on a job well done, yet quick to point out and berate you over the smallest mistake.

Bottom line, I could have become a good worker if management just put some trust in me and allow me to sell those expensive merchandise that warrants the need of DRP plans, instead they relegate me into doing menial chores. Not the best prospect for a new employee.
Pros
Learn lots about computer-related knowledge, keep you up to date to the latest info in the industry
Cons
Long hours, inflexible schedules, low chance for advancement, management don't show any trust

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Computers. Our community is ready to answer.