Canada Computers Employee Reviews

Fun atmosphere
Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON10 September 2017
Great place to work.
Very educational, good people, good hours, close to home, learned a lot about computers which is what i'm taking in college. enjoyed helping customers
Pros
Close to home
Cons
non accomodating hours during school
terrible experience working at canada computers
Corporate Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON22 August 2017
The Management is terrible , very little training and direction. your job description is barely correct. There are a few great people in the company. 90% of the company is unorganized and have no clue how to run a business. NO motivation this was a very depressing enviorment as the people in management always bring you down over every little thing this is one of the reason i left without notice and more people will do same as i was not the first. please apply elsewhere save your time
Pros
No pros
Cons
everything
Computer retail Store
Senior Technician and Sales (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 August 2017
Computer Technician.
1.hareware and software diagnostic and fix
2.system build.
3.customer service.
in the past years I learned computer diagnostic skill, system build skill.and how to deal with customers.
Pros
Good Company, nice work environment. Excellent leader
Friendly environment.
PC and network adviser (sales) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, CA.16 June 2017
Working in Canada computers was hard because of many customer that we had to support but it was also fun cause of the environment we had there. Everyone was friendly. They made me feel I'm in a big family specially our manager and supervisor. We always share our knowledge so it mage us really effective group.
the reason I enjoyed to work with them was the great team work and I'm glad I was part of it.
worst place
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON14 June 2017
Very busy, under pay, poor management, everybody even who is not working with you or who just come for somewhere will give you a hard time, always overtime but after 44 hours it is NO one & half pay!
Great product, dodgy company
Service Center Lead Technician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 June 2017
The clientele is of a higher pedigree compared to other 'big box' stores, usually more technologically in-the-know. The sales associates can be a mixed bag ranging from "how have you not been promoted yet" to "how did you even get in the door". Find those that seem to have a common work ethic or professional goal, and keep your head down. I enjoyed who I worked with more than who I worked for. Upper management is cold and unapproachable, mainly ambivalent to the concerns of the underlings.
Pros
Decent staff discount, paid training at the offices of major manufacturers
Cons
No real reward system or sense of loyalty from the company itself
When I worked for head office
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON27 April 2017
It is not an enjoyable environment to work in.
there is no job culture and poor management. Employees were not recognized for their performance. Strict rules with your breaks, if you are caught for taking a break of 2 mins, it is an automatic deduction in your pay cheque, as well as taking your lunch breaks over by a few mins. No job advancement, and no security.
Great place to learn about computers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON27 March 2017
A typical day include merchandizing (tags, stocks) and sales.
If you're not good at sales, you may not excel in this role
You should be a computer enthusiast, so you're not thrown off by the customer's detailed requests
Pros
Relaxed atmostphere
Fairly new supervisors prospective.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  GTA, ON19 March 2017
Many of the reviews fouled the ball. Looking at the reviews that state there is no room to progress is really not true.

Canada Computers has been expanding its reachs rapidly over the last couple of years. Head office is always looking for trustworthy and hardworking individuals to move into leadership roles. However, from my own experience, many employees are not ready for said role. If you believe that you should be able to walk into a role or given a management role based on your sales performance, you are sadly mistaken. Canada Computers does value your work performance but not in the form of a promotion. Management is given to those who show leadership character. "Works well with a team" "teaches others with ease" "can make proper decisions". Etc.

Anyways, I do enjoy working with Canada Computers. Technology is always growing and fun to learn as well as the staff members are great. Though working in management can be very under valued at times and exhausting. Hours are long and there is no compensation for overtime hours. Most of the reward from the job comes from ensuring employees are taken care of and customers are assisted. If you're a hardworking dedicated individual that shows leadership potential, then this is a job for you. But, if you're easily swayed then don't bother.
Pros
>Benefits >Paid Vacations >Anual Party > Employee Pricing
Cons
>Long Hrs >Pay is "Ok" >Managment needs to be taken care of more >High stress levels
Productive and fun Environmental place
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 February 2017
I had great expericene working with this company where they have innovatice , friendly and hardworking management. The unlikely part of this job for me was less working hours with minimum salary.I enjoyed each and every part of my job.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Less Salary
There are definitely worse places.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON24 January 2017
If you read through reviews about the various locations of Canada Computers you'll find most of the negative reviews will point to Head Office issues. Contacting them, policies in place, shipping, etc. things that the stores don't have really any control over. This sucks because it's the employees at those stores that are forced to hear about it; and customers expect them to fix it.

Most employees love to help customers and try their best to put on a smile, but I've seen even the nicest of people reach their limit and just question the common sense of certain customers. IT is a complex field sometimes. Worked with both amazing and not so amazing people, like any retail job, and that's what really makes or break your day-to-day atmosphere.

- 40-44 hours with pretty consistent days off each week.
- Salary is nothing to complain about, any sort of raise above minimum wage is good to have.
- Full-Time benefits (used to be better a couple years back).
- Learned lots about electronics, of all kinds.
- Managers try their best, but don't always hit the mark.
- Typical retail complaints.
Pros
Good people, cool stuff, relaxed work place.
Cons
Entitled/stubborn customers, Head Office, Holiday season (send help)
Enjoyable with the right staff
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2016
be prepared to stand all day! Overall the job isn't bad if you are into technology! Just as long as the staff and management are cool, it isn't a bad place to work at. Just beware, policies and benefits change...and it has been going downhill in recent times.
Pros
Tech
Cons
Hours aren't as flexible, long shifts...but to each their own
Not exactly enjoyable
Sales Associate/Service Technician (Former Employee) –  North York, ON23 August 2016
I would not recommend anyone to work at Canada Computers, let alone any hardware stores. They've all become obsessed with the notion of selling warranties and really pushing that front.

The atmosphere wasn't great at my place of work. Aside from the great co-workers, the rest of my tasks were menial and all came down to paying us very little for our knowledge, those who did know quite a bit of PC hardware.
Cons
Long hours, no paid breaks. Below average atmosphere
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto Ontario Canada8 August 2016
Place i would recommend to anyone

People are pleasant and they help you with the work till you cant.

Management likes to be hands on.
Horrible Employer
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON21 July 2016
Management and Headoffice always in disarray, no-one to talk to about HR issues, HR changed over 4 times in my two years with the company.

Asked for a raise and was offered a 10 cent increase.

Don't waste your time goto NCIX or Bestbuy instead
Great co-workers, garbage management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON22 June 2016
I suppose you can gain a lot of customer service from this job however it shouldn't be your first pick for picking. Just about everyone here is being paid minimum wage, there's zero growth unless you're with the company for almost a decade and manager is too cheap to give raises.

You'll be hired for a position and then possibly moved into a different division of the store with no raise or notice until last minute. You get zero recognition for your work so don't bother going above and beyond. It's a minimum wage job with minimum requirements.

There will be days where the store has almost no customers and sales would be blamed and verbally attacked that they can't reach their goal. That's beyond anyone's control so understand the situation before you make accusations. Luckily for all the employees, those are deserve to be fired are not fired because management is desperate for people.
Pros
Lots of hours, co-workers
Cons
Long shifts, low wage, management
Fun workplace for any and all computer enthusiasts
Sales and customer service (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 May 2016
Work consists of sales mostly and helping customers find items and talking to them about computers and other related technologies. Co-workers are also like minded people interested in computer systems and there possible applications. Management is nice and accommodating to employees but too lenient in some areas. Hardest part of the job would be re-tagging the store (not that it's difficult in the first place) and the most enjoyable part of work would be discussing computer systems with customers and employees alike.
Pros
Flexible hours, No hard labour, Good co-workers
Cons
Tasks are not well enforced leading to things not being done for days/weeks
Unreasonable with no room for advancement
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 February 2016
- only a place to get temporary financial aid
- negative work culture depending on which store you work at
- high expectations for productivity yet does not compensate demand with proper income
Pros
won't ever fire you
Cons
won't fire people who needs to be fired
Great prospects, rocky Head Office
Retail Sales (Current Employee) –  Nepean, ON14 October 2015
Canada Computers was the first job where I actually felt like I could use it as a permanent career, sadly they switched off a hard commission style and although they stuck with a great starting wage it was no where near what I was making before and caused lots of personal stress.

Co-Workers were on and off good and bad, although everyone was competent and fun to work with there was a lot of school yard antics and backstabbing going on.
Pros
Great starting pay, Busy enviroment never boring
Cons
Staff can be a bit cuthroat, Head Office can be difficult to deal with
A Tech Heaven Run by the Wrong People
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 August 2015
As a Service Technician I got to build and repair computers for a living. It was a tech heaven. I got to get my hands on the latest and greatest hardware and really enjoyed my day to day work. I got to converse with customers about computer parts and help guide them on their choices. Essentially I got paid to talk about what I love and to build awesome systems.

The pay was better than any other retail computer technician job I have ever been at. The raises were few and far between but were massive when you got them. I went up by $4.25 an hour in the 3 1/2 years I worked there.

The downside was the management and the higher ups at head office. Few if any people that were supervisors, store managers or at head office knew how to do their job properly. Their screwups made my job harder every day because I constantly had to call customers and let them know things would take way longer than it should have if it had to do with RMA's or special order parts.
Pros
Get to play with a lot of fun toys, great pay and raises
Cons
poor management and higher ups

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Computers. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9