Canada Cartage System Employee Reviews

Overall a good work place to get your experience in the field of warehousing and trucking
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCSeptember 18, 2016
Loading offloading trailers
Leadership, handling pressure
Managing the flow of drivers
Hard working, trusting
Fast paced
Working safe
Pros
Free donuts and coffee
Cons
Poor communication
So far, good place to work
Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABSeptember 9, 2016
Have worked here for four months, and they have been good. I had excellent training (almost too long) and my manager knows who I am and checks up on me. HR has also checked on me. I'm getting the hours they said I would.
Pros
People all seem good.
Cons
Don't have same truck every day, but trucks have been in good shape
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 9, 2016
I really like working at Canada Cartage. Although it's a big company, it feels like a family run business. The people are great and the work is fulfilling. There are several events throughout the year (i.e. BBQs, ice cream day, bowling, baseball game, holiday parties, etc.) that really bring the team together.
driver
Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 21, 2016
In my opinion there are far better places to work but if your new your choices would be more limited , I believe that this company takes advantage of new drivers . I have been driving for a over 30 years and decided to try these guys during the slow time in Alberta's oil and gas industry
I am aware that the money is not the same but I at least thought it would be fair for the industry but I was mistaken.
Some of the people are really nice to work with but management is very unorganized .
There seem to be some sort of balancing act between drivers and loads and management will leave out key bits on information to trick you into thinking your on a cake walk run to easy street.
It is nice to hit the open road and see the sites and we all know that we have to work to earn money but these guys are not at all what they say they are.
To make a long story short and to be fair to all ,,,,this place is not for you if you have a bunch of miles under your belt already,and especially if you want to be treated like a human being instead of a work horse.
Use this place as a stepping stone to something better and don't expect much in the line of thanks for anything you do.
They will keep you waiting for loads in your truck and say they pay you but you will see they pay only what they want. your time away from home vs money earned will make you sick when you think of what they think your worth.
Pass this one by unless you really need time behind the wheel. Nothing is exactly how they explain it to you during your orientation
Pros
good if you need wheel time, but nothing else
Cons
Management will flat out lie to get to to work there
Great job ,but watch your back.
Class 1 Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABAugust 13, 2016
Job wise, there is nothing like driving the open road. The latest dispatch was great the one before him was not. It came down to a yelling match over the phone. I had a problem with my truck and he told me to bring it home early in the morning! This was illegel and dangerous! All to save money! There is other stories!
Pros
Open road. Just drive!
Cons
Management sucked!
nobody
no one important (Former Employee) –  western canadaJuly 29, 2016
If your a seasoned driver ,your wasting your time even filling out a job app at this place.
They don't really lie to you ,,they just leave out key bits of information unless you ask,,and when your new you trust them but that will change in a very short time.
This company will get you out of the soup line if your in trouble but a good driver has no business being with these guys for any amount of time,,,,there are far better places to work,
A closer look inside of some of these trucks will tell you what kind of people are driving them..would you relieve yourself in a bottle and leave for someone else to find?? and when this guy shakes it of,,,where is that flying???Get the picture now???
There are lots of things that would make this place better to work at but I think that management would not listen,,they are hard wired to make money,,,you will mean nothing to them.
You will be much happier at almost any other job,,,I was really disappointed in the things I saw because it sounded like such a great place to work,,,,live and learn....
Pros
any pros I saw faded fast
Cons
The review should be enough to give you an idea

Comment – August 4, 2016

check out the internet to find out more about a lawsuit filed on this company

a drag to work for
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 18, 2016
No follow-up, HR is not efficient. Late on pays,dispatch often makes mistakes and the trucks are in poor condition. I don't recommend this company to anyone.
Great Management
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BCJune 4, 2016
Unbelievable team of professionals at our BC Hub. Tight knit group focused on profitability and safe operations. Continuously expanding market share.
productive
Payroll/Billing Associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 2, 2016
meeting deadlines (whether payroll or invoicing/billing)

Learnt - creating SOPs, processing payroll, billing customers and the customer communication through emails and/or phone

Hardest - meeting weekly deadlines
Enjoyable - work environment
Pros
flexible timings
Cons
no appreciation
Lack of qualified managers
Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 15, 2016
Overall a decent place to work, when you take into account the some of the great people that work there.

To many inexperienced Operation Managers, that do not have an understanding of the Transportation Industry. Or even know how to use the talented people that they have working for them. To many of the front line individuals feel over worked and under appreciated.

The lack of Hours of Service training to people seems to be a joke. They way people are treated by certain managers within the company should be raising eyebrows of the most senior of managers.

The company really needs to look at putting the right people in the right places, so that they have a chance to grow.
Good team
1A Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 14, 2016
Its a nice company to be with.Good managers.They need better dispatchers.they have good equipment.The cons are that they dont have a fixed shift.
Pros
Good manager
Cons
Not too good dispatchers
One of the worst companies out there!!!
Class 1 Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 31, 2016
Hardly any communication, managers not qualified to do the job.
High turnover.
Just a waist of your life!!
Company looks great from the outside but you will be disappointed when you get in.
Delivery
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 4, 2016
This work experience was very helpful for me. I got to work with other empolyees. I also had to deliver and I was able to according to company procedures to serve the company well for the costumers.
Good company to work for. Hold a lot of events in recognition of their employees' dedication.
Operations Manager-Direct2Home- Canada East (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONFebruary 1, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job can also be the hardest part of the job. It is a very fast paced working environment with constant trouble shooting and decision making. It's very rewarding when you're able to help that customer receive their delivery on time and trouble free. It's very rewarding when you offer a new team member proper training and then watch them apply their newly learned skills to the job in a positive and productive way.
Pros
Staff recognition events.
Cons
Technology.
work
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 26, 2016
loved it here learned so much and they were willing to teach me so that was awesome was a great place to work will love to get a job back here was a great place
Pros
great place
Cons
ealier mornings
good people to work with to complete a task is essential
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 20, 2016
Maintenance is good. Requires better management. Most are not ready for their position. Dealing with their employees requires a great deal of improvement. From Upper Management to the lower management.
Pros
Equipment is manageable and structure is good
Cons
Less than friendly and even less likely to go the extra to assist it employees
Working at Canada Cartage
Yard Control (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Work with minimal supervision
Work at fast pace to keep the flow of traffic moving.
Work on a rotating 4 day, 12 hour shifts, Including weekends and holidays.
Log every vehicle that enters and exits the yard into the computer
Make sure the drivers have proper safety equipment upon entry
Interact with the driver’s to obtain their paperwork for the trailer they are hauling
Input data into the computer that’s provided on the driver’s paperwork.
Reading and understanding the drivers paperwork.
Call into the warehouse to obtain a door for the drivers
Informer the drivers of where they are to proceed within the yard with their trailer
Deal with any problems with the trailer temperatures if they arise, notify the right personnel of the issue, in a quick and timely manner.

I do not see management much if at all when I am working.
Typical daily environment
AZ TRANSPORT DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 9, 2016
Head in to work like everyone else, but once i'm there, i meet the other drivers and dispatchers whom all have been drivers once.

We support each other because we all know what the roads are like. depending on my energy levels, they find routes that fit my needs.

the system they have is fantastic, and they don't keep calling to check on you as other companies do... they trust you and let you manage your day.

I am interested in putting some of my college learning to work and perhaps learn something new.

it would be nice to have a position with advancement and room to grow
Pros
no micro managing... babysitter
Cons
no room to grow
Productive fun workplace, open door policy
Driver (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 7, 2016
Canada Cartage offers a dynamic fast paced challenging environment where people can find many opportunities for career advancement.
Pros
Fast paced, growing organization with multiple career opportunities
Cons
Solid company with a long history in Canada
PLANNER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 2, 2016
Canada Cartage is a company that has been around for over 100 years, providing your company a unique transportation option.

2.7