Canada Bread Employee Reviews

interesting job, 4 day week is great
Maintenance Millwright/Power Engineer/Machinist (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC21 March 2017
This location has a very poor culture...no accountability on production employees, middle management with zero experience in the core functions, an archaic Union contract that handcuffs the company resulting in excess production costs which all threaten the future viability of the business. Most Supervisors have little knowledge or integrity, specifically in Engineering. The company does little to nothing to encourage teamwork or knowledge sharing except to put up billboards and slogans and hold endless meetings. The company routinely hires people with little to zero experience in key supervisory positions and relies heavily on the long time experienced employees to keep the place functioning with zero positive feedback.
Unfortunately, while the pay, benefits and 4 day week are good, the long term prospects are not good without a significant culture change, investment in production and maintenance machinery and most importantly, an investment in the people.

This is by no means a unique situation...the race to the bottom that we have endured for the last 30 years has fostered the poor management and culture evident.
Pros
smells good, warm in winter, 4 day week, variety of work
Cons
poor culture, no accountability, high unit cost, high waste
Awesome workplace
SUPPLY CHAIN ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 March 2017
Love working here, only challenge is i am on a contract position. But it was really close to my house and proud to be a part of the world's largest bakery company.
Good union position
Production Worker/ Shipping receiving (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 March 2017
Good company with a solid union, very physical with alot of hours in the summer. pay is slightly lacking compared to other production facilities, not much room for advancement.
Pros
lots of ot hours
Cons
max pay rate not comparable to other production jobs
Positive Experience
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 March 2017
While working at Canada Bread I had a positive experience, learning the process of working on a production line and ensuring a quality product is something I will carry with me for the rest of my career.
Pros
Good Team
Cons
Night Shift Hours
very productive
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC26 February 2017
Once I start working, It was very busy.
The workplace was very friendly and co-operative.
Although it was very hot in summer due to large ovens, still i loved to work there.
was a good job
Bakers. Helper (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 February 2017
was a good place to work,people were friendy,management was fair to work with,lunch room available,safety boots supplied and uniforms.
Hours were reasonable shift work.
Pros
paid weekly
Cons
not complaints about it
It was alright
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 January 2017
Typical day was punching in getting to the line and working. If you had a smooth day consider that a blessing compared to what could happen while working there. Lines are old as dust. Problems come up outta no where and you get blamed for stuff that you were NEVER trained to deal with. Basically trained myself with the exception of two employees that trained me, the rest were either useless and/or language barrier was to distant. In the summer you might as well be in the depths working with the devil. Co-workers werent bad except for a few. Most enjoyable part was punching out and not having to deal with faulty machinery for 8 hours then it starts again the next day.
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
Weird Hours, Old machinery
Enjoyed my 14 years
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON10 January 2017
Although they have closed the North Bay location if ever given the opportunity to work there again and was not employed I would definitely return to the Company.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
shifts could be arranged better to accommodate family life
new factory
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2017
the factory was being assembled from ground up. as part of my job was to make sure everything was 100% as it took many tries and errors until we got it to 100% it was interesting and educational which is something I enjoy so it was more of a experiment than a job..as we got all production 100% .It was my job to keep the machines clean per the health regulations.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
lay offs
great for getting well rounded experience in marketing field
Administrative Assistant - Marketing (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON3 January 2017
very hectic, lots of meetings but very engaged helpful middle management leaders. long days but opportunity to learn alot if just out of university work physical environment leaves alot to be desired.
very demanding, and no schedule flexibility
Plant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 November 2016
Supervising and responsible for number of department including quality, production, shipping and receiving, maintenance, sanitation, and customer service. Completing more than 3 production reports in a daily bases in addition to 4 inspection reports. Notification for schedule change was in a weekly bases unable to plan for family time.
Making that bread
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 September 2016
First job was a good experience, good to learn many things
worked hard and they rewarded more than expected.
Good with hours and changes, management was the best in my case
Productive and fun environment, Emphasis on Safety, 5S and GMP
Line Shipper (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 September 2016
comfortable working environment with great staff members
very adaptive management
emphasis on training and safety
adherence to GMP 5S
overall great working experience
Pros
across the board openness in communication at all levels
Productive and good learning experience.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 August 2016
A typical day at work consists of me getting on my slacks and signing in and checking in with the supervisor about your shift. You then go to your station and get caught up with your co-workers about the previous shift so you're aware of everything. Management normally provide us with systems training every month or so, so we're up to date with safety manuals and work environments or with any new additional rules and procedures. Overall I learned a lot about different work procedures by working on both the production area and wrapping area and also by observing how others work from the shipping and sanitation area.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Fast paced work with great staff
Transporter/driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 August 2016
Working as a driver by delivering loads to Costco and Wal-mart. Transporting during the nights and merchandising during business hours.
Pros
Fast paced environment
Cons
Quiet environment with many long time employees
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  British Columbia20 June 2016
Lack of communication between functional groups
Would like to foster an environment of continuous improvement, but does not facilitate programs for individual growth.
driving is fun
driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 June 2016
i start with canada bread april 2015 its fun job u just drive and deliver bread no bose is watching u but there not enough hours
A large tv room along with our lunch room
Operator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 May 2016
Learned standard working procedure and hygiene sanitation and operating job
Good work atmosphere and cooperated staff and equal opportunity employer
Pros
Free luch time
Cons
Normal Hours like 8 hours in a day
Every day is both unique and challenging - dynamic
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton On - Trillium Facility7 April 2016
A great team of people to work with. The associates actually wanted to be engaged in the day to day activities. I enjoyed my time there as a production supervisor.
Pros
Good relationships
Cons
Awkward working hours
High stress, hard word = high pay
Route Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB30 March 2016
High stressed
Timed crunch
High demand
Zero room for error
Over 10 hrs/day shift work..
And I still loved the job, it show me what it take to run at peak performance and to maintain it over a number of years.

It was never the job that took it toll, if you understand the numbers and listen to the accounts then you will succeed and well that is.Management expended 110% from you but when they were needed to do the same it was lacking and followed by excuses of it's not their job normally. Saddly that is why I am no longer there. I fully beleave in lead by example and if this is done "right" I will do what ever it takes to do 110% for you.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Canada Bread. Our community is ready to answer.