Canada Border Services Agency

Canada Border Services Agency Employee Reviews

Great pay and hours
Student Border Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJanuary 5, 2016
I enjoyed the role while at CBSA. The pay was great for a student job, and I was able to renew my contract for a total of four summers. Hours are early, but it is worth it getting off fairly early in the day. The workplace culture is not that great, with student officers being looked down on constantly, and many appearing bitter about being in the exact same role for most of their career. Next to no schedule flexibility, especially for student officers.
Pros
Pay and hours
Cons
work culture and vacation availability.
CBSA
BSO (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCAugust 28, 2015
Good job, culture needs updating. A great feeling of accomplishment can come with this job but it is hard to not get tangled in the politics.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
Old Boys Club
Border Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Windsor, Sarnia, otherJune 12, 2013
Every Port of Entry is different. Airport is more inclusive. Windsor, more young people, better Union representation, interesting things, management more supportive.Sarnia, alot of new employees, too many are local and have a narrow-minded, misogynistic attitudes - it is like High School, but instead of class together, you share working hours and duties - not everyone falls into this description, but I would say far more than half of all the people who work there do. Alot of either under-educated or over-educated younger employees. Also, Sarnia's local Union is very poorly managed and gives the entire Union a bad rep.
Pros
pay, benefits, job security
Cons
understaffed, lack of consistancy, working environment
Cbsa
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  SaskatchewanJune 23, 2016
Training not paid for during the 4 months at the college,not for persons with family obligations, must be willing to work anywhere in Canada. Excellent instructors to guide you
Excellent Job Security
CR-04, Administration Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 25, 2015
The Administration Clerks are not valued as they should be and are underpaid. The job security is so high that some people take advantage of the situation and just keep their seat warm. There is too much red tape to fire someone; managers don't bother with it.
Pros
Job Security
Horrible place to work
Border Services Officer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 28, 2015
Probably the worst occupation and position that I have ever held. The job is not bad...it is management that is terrible. If anyone is looking to get into this career, I highly suggest you look elsewhere. There is a reason that it is viewed as one of the worst places to work in the Government.
Pros
Cons
job security, sort of...
Great People
Mail Room and General Services (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ONOctober 20, 2015
Great place to work. Great People. Learned alot during my 3 years there as a Temp worker. Was hired by Adecco Personel. Assisted in many different departments.
CBSA Summary
Border Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONApril 8, 2013
Typical day has a BSO (Border Services Officer) saw me doing Primary assessments for part of the day and processing travelers that require to pay taxes on goods they are bringing back in to the country where applicable.

Management was fairly good, although there were some issues.

The long hours were a hard part of the job. Overnight shifts were not easy either.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the outdoors aspect of it. Conducting secondary assessments, as I worked there during the summer.
Interesting job, good team
CS3 Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 19, 2015
-usual testers day at a job, with a documentation reviews, designer meetings,
-team spirit is great
-I do not have any hard time there
-the most enjoyable part is to successfully achieve the mile stone in a software testing plan
Terrible work environment
Border Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 18, 2015
Bad management, terrible work environment. Poisoned work atmosphere, what more can I say? Do not work here, do not bother applying. Stay away
A Customs Officer learns their job only through the people they process.
Customs Officer (Former Employee) –  Pearson Airport, Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2014
Each day I was able to process hundreds of passengers from all over the world. I learned many interesting things about many different cultures. Over the years I became very good at detecting both honesty and deception. I followed all leads and accumulated all evidence that proved a passengers guilt or innocence. I had officer discretion which allowed me to release or perform an enforcement action on a passenger after uncovering an infraction. I am fair and treat all passengers I encounter in the same manner. I learned that being consistent, thorough, organized and systematic in my notes and reports made me one of the most recognized officers for having successful and uncontested cases from start to finish. My co-workers provided both experience and assistance when I needed it.
A day in the life of Border Services Officer
Border Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCJanuary 5, 2015
- worked a 10 hour shift that would involve day and afternoon shift.
- processed hundreds of travellers entering Canada on a daily basis.
- writing reports for customs and immigration infractions each day.
- consulting with supervisors on a multitude of issues each and every day.
Pros
working with knowlegable co-workers
Completed Administrative duties / maintained officer's uniform administration
Administrative Officer/Uniform Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSNovember 27, 2013
Contract position
Typical day involved all administrative duties for the section including accounts payable, employee travel claims, database updates, required reports, uniform ordering/returning for Border Officers and ensuring uniform database maintained; ordering supplies.
Learned that keeping daily operations up to date resulted in all inquiries/requests were met on a timely basis and resulted in happy working environment.
Management was available for any guidance required other than regular daily expectations.
Co-workers and management were extremely easy to work with and showed respect and considerations at all time. If any problems occurred a co-worker would take the initiative to explain what was required.
The hardest part of the job was not being involved with the improper import of goods upon inspections.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the direct dealing with all employees including management.
Public Service
Program Delivery Support Clerk (CR-04) (Former Employee) –  London, ONMarch 2, 2014
It was an enjoyable job. I was required to have daily interactions with public clients, brokers, importers and staff at all levels. The hardest part of the job was that it often changed due to political motivations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked alongside and for.
Pros
good wage, service to the public, job security
Cons
job was dictated by politics
Questions about becoming a CBSA
applied (Former Employee) –  canadaFebruary 26, 2013
Hi all, I was wondering whats the hiring process time for CBSA and is the fitness test for CBSA officers as hard as becoming a police in Ontario? I applied with them back in 2006 and finally heard back in march of 2012 saying I was selected, however I haven't heard back at all. I decided to call them today and was told that my application from the old process is no longer good I need to submit a new to due to change of hiring rules. I am also currently enrolled at Trios completing the Police foundation course and have completed my firearms and CPR. So I again submitted a new app. Whats my wait time like before I hear back. I truly want this job its a dream job for me ever since my childhood. any feedback will help. Thanks, kay.
An interesting and challenging workplace
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONOctober 16, 2013
A typical day at my workplace would involve reading and responding to various e-mails from staff, management and other clients, mentoring staff and responding to their needs on a work and personal level. In addition, during the last three years of my tenure, I was very busy scheduling, developing and facilitating one-day workshops on values, ethics and the Code of Conduct for the CBSA.
The things I learned were around communication and listening skills, as well as how to time and stress manage effectively. I headed a Division of Senior Ethics Advisors. They were all highly educated in their chosen field of study and were all extremely passionate about what they did, and what they hoped to achieve. They were hard workers and dedicated to the job. The hardest part of the job, for me, was trying to help clients who were often highly emotional, angry or upset, without taking on their troubles personally and carrying them home with me. Conversely, the most enjoyable part of my job was facilitating a session and having the material I was delivering really mean something to, and help, the participants in the room.
Pros
meeting people and travelling
Cons
stress
Great team player to work with
Field Communication Clerk (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 22, 2013
I would like to change and learn new works. Dealing with customers is one of my passion. I love interacting with clients in person, by telephone, fax, emails and written correspondence(e.g. mailed letters).Responding to their different enquiries make me feel valuable.
good
Cons
long hours, shifts work (graveyards)
A friendly place to work with lots or tasks to do
Student General Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Portal, SKApril 30, 2014
Get to work. Start with entering data into the computer. Most of the data was entered into excel or an ACROSS system. Most duties were divided between the other summer student and I. Twice a week we'd each get a day to do Out-port runs, which is where we talk mail, cash, water, and other supplies to the out-ports. Mail had to be picked up daily and the daily deposits had to be taken into town. I learned how to write up the deposits. My supervisors and co-workers were all very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed all the driving this job provided to reach the out-ports.
a great place to have a career
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 9, 2015
*face pace
*project info structure and time line commitment
*very approachable and intelligent, works together to get things completed
* exceptionally smart and willingness to support each other
*time lines
*end results
Pros
job fullfillment
Cons
limitations to forward progression due to legistlation
Productive workplace with great people
Trade Operations Division - Casual (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ONDecember 10, 2014
Working for CBSA was great during my two short terms. The unit in which I was employed was caring and supportive. They really enjoyed working as a team. I enjoy a fast-paced work environment with a variety of different duties and that is just what I got there.
Pros
team players
Cons
not permanent

Canada Border Services Agency Reviews by Location