Canada Border Services Agency

Canada Border Services Agency Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Federal Public Service
Border Services Officer (Current Employee), Fort Erie, ONOctober 22, 2014
Read/interpret/administer over 90 acts of legislation. Thousands of interactions with people of all backgrounds, in all environments.
A Customs Officer learns their job only through the people they process.
Customs Officer (Former Employee), Pearson Airport, Toronto, ONJuly 3, 2014
Each day I was able to process hundreds of passengers from all over the world. I learned many interesting things about many different cultures. Over the years I became very good at detecting both honesty and deception. I followed all leads and accumulated all evidence that proved a passengers guilt or innocence. I had officer discretion which allowed – more... me to release or perform an enforcement action on a passenger after uncovering an infraction. I am fair and treat all passengers I encounter in the same manner. I learned that being consistent, thorough, organized and systematic in my notes and reports made me one of the most recognized officers for having successful and uncontested cases from start to finish. My co-workers provided both experience and assistance when I needed it. – less
A friendly place to work with lots or tasks to do
Student General Administrative Clerk (Former Employee), North Portal, SKApril 30, 2014
Get to work. Start with entering data into the computer. Most of the data was entered into excel or an ACROSS system. Most duties were divided between the other summer student and I. Twice a week we'd each get a day to do Out-port runs, which is where we talk mail, cash, water, and other supplies to the out-ports. Mail had to be picked up daily and – more... the daily deposits had to be taken into town. I learned how to write up the deposits. My supervisors and co-workers were all very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed all the driving this job provided to reach the out-ports. – less
Energetic and exciting work environment
Senior Program Advisor (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONApril 11, 2014
a great place to work with plenty of challenges on a daily basis.
Public Service
Program Delivery Support Clerk (CR-04) (Former Employee), London, ONMarch 2, 2014
Pros: good wage, service to the public, job security
Cons: job was dictated by politics
It was an enjoyable job. I was required to have daily interactions with public clients, brokers, importers and staff at all levels. The hardest part of the job was that it often changed due to political motivations. The most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked alongside and for.
Clerk
Office Administrator (Former Employee), North Portal, SKFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: n/a
Some Duties would include:
Data entry of NTO’s (Non- Terminal Office), Broker information and Recoveries
Scanning import documents
Entering statistical information into an Excel spreadsheets
Sorted and delivered mail to departments at North Portal, Northgate and Carievale
Port of Entries.
Bank Deposits

I really enjoyed working with the people.
awesome
Data processor (Former Employee), halifax nova scotiaFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: great people, learning customs and rules and regulations.
Cons: it wasnt long enough
I loved working at CBSA it was a fabulous job I learned alot about customs. I do wish the job would of been a permanent position. i worked with a great group of people . There wasnt a hard part of the job it was a great learning experience and I got to solve my own issues and help out with others. It was fantastic!!
Completed Administrative duties / maintained officer's uniform administration
Administrative Officer/Uniform Administrator (Former Employee), Dartmouth, NSNovember 27, 2013
Contract position
Typical day involved all administrative duties for the section including accounts payable, employee travel claims, database updates, required reports, uniform ordering/returning for Border Officers and ensuring uniform database maintained; ordering supplies.
Learned that keeping daily operations up to date resulted in all inquiries/requests – more... were met on a timely basis and resulted in happy working environment.
Management was available for any guidance required other than regular daily expectations.
Co-workers and management were extremely easy to work with and showed respect and considerations at all time. If any problems occurred a co-worker would take the initiative to explain what was required.
The hardest part of the job was not being involved with the improper import of goods upon inspections.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the direct dealing with all employees including management. – less
Work environment
Administrative support in the government programs (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 26, 2013
• Ability to work in stressful situations with stringent deadlines while maintaining quality of work
• Excellent relationship-building and client services skills
• Ability to integrate technical skills, client support experience and related education to exceed technical, business and customer requirements
• Troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
An interesting and challenging workplace
Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONOctober 16, 2013
Pros: meeting people and travelling
Cons: stress
A typical day at my workplace would involve reading and responding to various e-mails from staff, management and other clients, mentoring staff and responding to their needs on a work and personal level. In addition, during the last three years of my tenure, I was very busy scheduling, developing and facilitating one-day workshops on values, ethics – more... and the Code of Conduct for the CBSA.
The things I learned were around communication and listening skills, as well as how to time and stress manage effectively. I headed a Division of Senior Ethics Advisors. They were all highly educated in their chosen field of study and were all extremely passionate about what they did, and what they hoped to achieve. They were hard workers and dedicated to the job. The hardest part of the job, for me, was trying to help clients who were often highly emotional, angry or upset, without taking on their troubles personally and carrying them home with me. Conversely, the most enjoyable part of my job was facilitating a session and having the material I was delivering really mean something to, and help, the participants in the room. – less
Great team player to work with
Field Communication Clerk (Current Employee), Vancouver, BCJuly 22, 2013
Pros: good
Cons: long hours, shifts work (graveyards)
I would like to change and learn new works. Dealing with customers is one of my passion. I love interacting with clients in person, by telephone, fax, emails and written correspondence(e.g. mailed letters).Responding to their different enquiries make me feel valuable.
Old Boys Club
Border Services Officer (Former Employee), Windsor, Sarnia, otherJune 12, 2013
Pros: pay, benefits, job security
Cons: understaffed, lack of consistancy, working environment
Every Port of Entry is different. Airport is more inclusive. Windsor, more young people, better Union representation, interesting things, management more supportive.Sarnia, alot of new employees, too many are local and have a narrow-minded, misogynistic attitudes - it is like High School, but instead of class together, you share working hours and duties – more... - not everyone falls into this description, but I would say far more than half of all the people who work there do. Alot of either under-educated or over-educated younger employees. Also, Sarnia's local Union is very poorly managed and gives the entire Union a bad rep. – less
CBSA Summary
Border Services Officer (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONApril 8, 2013
Typical day has a BSO (Border Services Officer) saw me doing Primary assessments for part of the day and processing travelers that require to pay taxes on goods they are bringing back in to the country where applicable.

Management was fairly good, although there were some issues.

The long hours were a hard part of the job. Overnight shifts were not – more... easy either.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the outdoors aspect of it. Conducting secondary assessments, as I worked there during the summer. – less
Questions about becoming a CBSA
applied (Former Employee), canadaFebruary 26, 2013
Hi all, I was wondering whats the hiring process time for CBSA and is the fitness test for CBSA officers as hard as becoming a police in Ontario? I applied with them back in 2006 and finally heard back in march of 2012 saying I was selected, however I haven't heard back at all. I decided to call them today and was told that my application from the old – more... process is no longer good I need to submit a new to due to change of hiring rules. I am also currently enrolled at Trios completing the Police foundation course and have completed my firearms and CPR. So I again submitted a new app. Whats my wait time like before I hear back. I truly want this job its a dream job for me ever since my childhood. any feedback will help. Thanks, kay. – less
fun energectic work place
General Support Clerk (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONSeptember 10, 2012
I have enjoyed my time at CBSA, I have learned how the business works, colleagues were great. I just wish I had full time employment there.
Great
Border Services officer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 26, 2012
This is a great place to work. I enjoy it.Its very satisfying work here. I would love to continue working here.
Shift work
Student Border (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 28, 2012
It is a great job, fun and interesting. The people were a bit hard to work with as I was a student officer, so we were kinda put through the ringer that way.

I loved the job, I loved meeting new people everyday and having new challenges daily.
Great job !
Investigator - Intelligence Officer (Current Employee), Canadian - American BorderDecember 11, 2013
To be discussed face to face, as there are no two days of the same.

About Canada Border Services Agency

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is a federal law enforcement agency that is responsible for border enforcement, immigration – Read more