Canada's Wonderland

Canada's Wonderland Employee Reviews in Canada

lots of hours for little pay
Food & Beverage - Service / Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMarch 4, 2016
Sign in at beginning of day, clean work area, then prepare food, then take food orders.

I learned how to use their old cash registers as well as their new ones.

The managers were very helpful and understanding never judgmental.
Co-workers always liked to help with each area that needed to be worked on.
Hardest part was the amount of hours you put into a day/week and the pay being barely enough to travel back and forth from work and use for daily life.

The most enjoyable part of working there was working with the managers and co-workers and seeing all the customers enjoying themselves.
Pros
Got to meet new people from different cultures
Cons
long hours very little pay
Productive and fun working environment
Lifeguard & Lifesaving (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONDecember 24, 2015
My typical day at work would be a 9am-8pm shift, consisting of 1-2 breaks depending on when I get to have my first break. It was a full-time season and outdoor job where I got to meet a lot and new people everyday.

I learned that you have to stay focused and be really attentive to do your job properly. I learned more communication and guest service skills as well as time management between work and social life.

My co-workers were really great people and wonderful to work with. They were co-operative and easy going and that just made it more exciting to look forward to going to work everyday.

The hardest part of the job would be having to deal with the climate whether its really hot and humid or rainy and cold. Also, dealing with the risks of the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job would be meeting new people and the after-work crew events.
Pros
Free food sometimes, meeting new people, the paycheque
Cons
long hours, climate
Great team but management isn't always on top of things
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 3, 2016
Some days you get long hours, management wasn't always on top of the schedule and didn't remember days you couldn't work. Sometimes lunch breaks were shortened because schedules weren't written ahead of time during work period. Team management in the beginning was unorganized and uncooperative.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Long hours, sometimes short lunch breaks, unorganized
Great experience
Cash Control Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 3, 2016
Good place to start working and gives plenty of opportunity to gain experience and potentially get a few promotions under your belt. I am lucky to be in a good department, but have been told that the experience is more negative in other departments. Would be nice if there was better pay/benefits.
Pros
Fun work environment
Cons
Long work hours that could go very late
Very hard work
Park Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 31, 2016
A typical day at work would be the same walking around cleaning up for park services. The management is very good, co workers are very nice people. Hardest part of the job was getting home. Most enjoyable part was talking to people.
Pros
Discounted food for lunch
Fun and interactive environment
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  vaughn, ontarioSeptember 16, 2015
Working at Canada's Wonderland was an amazing experience. It was a very fast pace environment where everything had to be done with precession. As a ride operator ensuring the customers safety was your number one priority and providing exceptional customer service. Working at Canada's Wonderland allowed me to improve my customer service skills as my entire shift was engaging with customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was having an amazing team to work with, and strengthening out teamwork skills together. The most difficult aspect was working in hot weather conditions for long hours such as 40-50 hour weeks.
Pros
good co-worker and management environment
Cons
weather conditions
Simple, yet long work, but very rewarding
Line Cook for Thrill Burger restaurant (Former Employee) –  Thrill Burger RestuarantNovember 29, 2015
The jobs are largely simplistic but time intensive. The work environment is welcoming and there are many learning opportunities for inexperienced workers to improve. Also, the long hours ensure big paychecks and there is always work available.
Pros
high paychecks with chance of advancement
Cons
long hours and staff turn-over
Average workplace
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONFebruary 22, 2016
good people and management, long hours. The hardest part of the job was cleaning up at the end of the shift. A lot was needed to e done, but there weren't many people
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
Tons of work, very little pay
Associate (Former Employee) –  9580 Jane StreetNovember 24, 2015
Canada's Wonderland associate in the food & beverage department is not a very well job. There is a ton of work, small work space and the bare minimum wage pay with no benefits or salary increases. The supervisors are very strict with timing and with things that you do, schedule is rarely open for discussion, must fit their times no matter what (even if religious). Work area is disgusting, smells very bad in some locations and cleaning is not done very well. Supervisors sometimes do not allow associates to go on their 5 hour break, some go 6 or 7 hours without a break, writing on the transcript that they had their break earlier, stating to fix the tas (Phone sign in/out).
Pros
Lunches are at a discount
Cons
Hours are too long
Fun people, and some good memories.
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  ONAugust 23, 2015
There's a lot of work to be done, so some days ended at about 2 or 3 AM. The location I worked at got very busy a lot of the time so costumers were very impatient and the kitchen staff was very slow. Supervisors were very nice, and some of my co-workers even climbed up the ladder and got a bit more responsibility. Therefore advancement is possible.The co-workers were definitely the best part about this job. Not a bad place to work, just be ready for a lot of work and not much time off.
Pros
Long hours, so it's good money.
Cons
Very long hours, ask a lot out of you, sometimes lots of risk
Fun people, lots of work
Ride Operator (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONDecember 12, 2015
I have worked at wonderland for two years now. A typical day there starts with doing safety checks on the ride and making sure it's 100% ready for guests to go on. You learn how to deal with VERY difficult customers to say the least. Since you are assigned to a ride group (a group of people you work with all season and 2-4 rides you work at consistently) you really learn how to get along with different personalities. The management is great, since they have been in your position in the past, they are very understanding. I love my co-workers, they are always great people to spend your whole summer with-- you become almost a family. The hardest part of the job is probably working in the hot summer sun for many hours and if you aren't physically active, it's a lot of rushing and running around. Overall, I love the exercise I get in the summer; you gain lots of muscle, lose unwanted fat, and often get at least 50,000 steps a day! The people you meet are what make wonderland worth while; some of the co-workers I've met are the best people I've ever had the pleasure of having in my life.
Pros
Amazing friends
Cons
Hot days (in the mid summer)
productive and enjoyable work assignments
Haunted House Maze Attendant (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 17, 2016
working at Wonderland meant working around people of many responsibilities that encouraged a team effort to maintain a successful day on the job. The job of a maze attendant along with many others were seasonal during the month of Halloween. People in the particular maze where assigned a job that ensured the proper functioning of the maze due to all members who contributed.
working in an environment that directly targeted thrill for the enjoyment of the customers made the job very exciting because of the enthusiasm that went into the job which in-turn made for a friendly co worker experience.
Pros
weekly awarding of the best maze attendant of the night, a friendly and learning environment for people with no job experience
Cons
no opportunity for mobilization for a higher position, mainly because the job was seasonal
Fun place to work with a very engaging environment
Rides Operator/Attendant/Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 13, 2016
Working at Wonderland is a great experience. You gain tons of experience in customer service when you interact with guests as they walk through the park and ride the rides. There are many opportunities for advancement.
Pros
Tons of discounts on a variety of tourism spots in Canada. Ex: Free visit to CN Tower
Cons
Working outdoors, sometimes in extreme heat.
Canada's Wonderland Admissions
Admissions Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJanuary 14, 2016
Received about 30-50 hours in summer during full time. Engaged with thousands of guests daily. Can get very overwhelming, however the young group of people share a lot of similarities with me and therefore enhanced my experience at the park.
Pros
Lots of hours, great co workers, Great benefits
Cons
Overwhelming, Very Busy
enjoyable workplace
Usher (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 18, 2016
not only was working at canada's wonderland a great opportunity to develop amazing communication skills, i also loved the people i worked with. i have nothing negative to say about my experience.
Pros
good payment
Cons
a day being a games associate
Games Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONJanuary 18, 2016
when you come into the park , all the staff would go through employee entrance, then go into your area and sign in then relax for a bit then your supervisor would tell you to start opening up the booths and start filling up the games with prizes . then youd go back and get your money bag and depending on how many workers are there you would go to a certain game . most of the co-workers were fun , sometimes other co-workers from different areas would come and buy everyone food or drinks , but there was one co-worker I didn't get along with, she was just super annoying but I didn't have to work with her a lot :) , the hardest part is standing for the long periods of time and the enjoyable parts are when the kids show comes on and all the co workers start dancing and stuff to attract other kids, I mean sometimes its super boring and one day its a lot of fun
Pros
good break time
Cons
standing for long peroids, transportation
Disrespecful and depressing work environment
Creative Team Member (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONApril 24, 2015
None of the management knew how to communicate with each other - it was a giant game of "pass the buck" the entire time. I worked in the Halloween Haunt department, and although the title of my job was "creative team member", there was nothing creative about it. The bosses would listen to your suggestions, immediately reject them because of some small problem that would be very simple to solve, then weeks later put the idea into action under the guise of it being their original thought.
The hours were fine, but the pay was far too low and no one ever got a raise. I have a few friends who worked there for over four years without seeing a pay increase. We got no benefits, and there was either absolutely no work to keep us busy or way too much because management didn't know how to properly delegate or schedule anything.
Bottom line, don't work there. It's awful.
Pros
Work outside, free apples once in a while, free admission to the park, preview of all the haunted attractions the night before opening
Cons
Bad management, disrespectful atmosphere, negativity all the time
Canadas wonderland
ride operator (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ONJanuary 11, 2016
People will say its a bad job but i worked there for a few months and i totally loved it. Fun people, good atmosphere and just a good way to earn good money and meet new people
Pros
everything
Cons
long hours but thats also a pro
Usually Fun and Comfortable Atmosphere
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONOctober 16, 2015
You are not treated with respect. supervisors are very explicit. you are disrespected by every area sup, and sup. they cut your hours, send you home early so youre not making anything,Fun workplace
Very out-going Team oriented Sufficient Trainings Supportive Management Very Exciting Sometimes Challenging
Pros
Great management, flexible hours, friendly co workers and accommodate each individual
Cons
Cons: Hard to meet the quota during certain hours
Great place for high school kids needing job.
Games Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ONMay 8, 2016
Canada's Wonderland is not the most terrible place to work at but in no means is is a good place. As a Games Associate you are going to have to stand in the burning heat, with no shade, or the freezing cold, with the wind coming over the magical mountain, and suck it up. You are going to have to deal with some of the worst customers who think that you are dirt on their shoe or that you make commission and you just want to drain their wallet when you really could care less because you are making minimum wage. If you are in college your supervisors are going to be the same age or younger and you will be surrounded by high schools kids.
That being said you are going to meet some of the coolest people and make great connections with your co workers. You get to be the reason that a kids day is just that much better. Not to mention you can go to the park whenever you would like and the job has great hours.
I would never go back as a college student but if I was a high school student it would be the best job.
Pros
Get to go to the park for free, get 4 free tickets, good hours
Cons
Have to stand in blistering heat, you will lose your voice, they call you to come in all the time