Canad Inns Employee Reviews

Very exhausting work for very little pay!
Server and Bartender (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB23 June 2017
Being a server is tough work. But nothing is better than having customers who only come in when your the one working!!

Great people to work with.

"All over the place" hours. Never a set schedule.

One week - Over time hours
Second Week - No hours at all.
Pros
Tips and great customers
Cons
Very exhausting work.
Bad management
Room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 May 2017
I got hired as a room attendant that would work in laundry also. I also got told that I would work weekends SOMETIMES. That ended up not being the case. The manager that hired me was only there 2 times out if the week and did not care about anybody other than the 2 people that were there more than 5 years. I got taken off my evening shift because I was more needed in the rooms. Then they stopped putting me in laundry at all because 2 women were complaining that they weren't getting any hours. Essentially I worked as a room attendant, laundry attendant, and house person. They never had enough people to let people have weekends off, plus putting only one person in laundry while the hotel was busy and penalizing people for not being able to keep up with laundry. The straw that broke the camel's back was a new manager coming in and treating me differently than everybody else. I got stared at, followed around, and even though I was nice to her she never once was nice to me back. After I got a second job I was refused to start my new job, so I left.

Don't work here!!!!!!!! Especially for housekeeping. They push you to work your hardest and more for minimum wage!!!!
Cons
Management, messy hotel
Continues to grow and improve
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB19 March 2017
- Shows a sincere interest in employees and the solutions to their problems

- Lends support and guidance to employees

- Uses sound coaching techniques to solve disciplinary problems

- Provides continuous coaching

- Is highly respected by employees for sharing concerns, problems, and opportunities
Pros
Free food
Cons
Part time hours
Not Great
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 March 2017
Company continuously tries to go in 'NEW' directions but rarely succeeds. Lets go of staff without notice on a regular basis. Higher management try to trap staff to terminate! Not worth your time!
My typical day at work
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 February 2017
What I've learned is to be respectful to everyone no matter how difficult the situation is or the service and to respect each other opinions and abilities.

I organize my time between prep and orders so I can get as much accomplished.

The hardest part sometimes at my job is to make sure we can get the orders out on time and so the customer does not have to wait too long.

The most enjoyable part of this job is how the team can joke around and laugh with each other and come together when we need to get Service done.
Somethings missing
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 December 2016
Staff are great to work with and work conditions are good. Problem is most GM and managers see absolutely only the negative and focus on those points. You can work your butt off and do your best and still you will only hear negative comments. They don't understand that most of the staff are desperately trying to do their best and help the company succeed. It's hard to continue doing your best when they first and foremost believe you only screw up.
Taking criticism and correction are part of work...but not 100% percent of the time. Off set it with deserved and frequent praise and you will have staff that shines

It's a good work experience...work Here, but wait to see if you have a desire to go over and above.
Pros
Good department heads mostly...Good experience
Cons
No compliments ever made
Stay away....especially the Transcona location
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 October 2016
This is the absolute worse company that I have ever worked for. Was at the Transcona location and it was an absolute mess, led by a GM that knows nothing about managing but everything about screwing people over. No matter how hard you work the GM will always have something up his sleeve to make your job harder. Head office knows about this guy but doesn't care at all, no wonder this place is falling apart.

Seriously take your talent elsewhere, you deserve better than this!
Pros
50% discount
Cons
You'll regret the day you agreed to work there
Bring your resume elswewhere
Management (Former Employee) –  Rather not disclose26 July 2016
Having been a on the management team I can suggest to all prospectus applicants tgat you may want to reconsider dropping your resume off with Canad Inns.
When I was hired it was made clear to me there is an unwritten policy called "90 day wonders" this covert policy looks to eliminate employees before their 90 day review as a cost effective way of controlling labour costs.
Pros
You may only need a short term job
Cons
You can never expect management to deliver on their promises
Terribly managed
Disposable employee (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 May 2016
Regent location is terribly managed. Go talk to any staff there, most will tell you all about how the GM and head office is running things. This is the kind of company that jumps before it looks, then wonders why it didn't go well and then blames everything except themselves.

Looking for job security? Look elsewhere. Hoping to climb the ladder and get recognized for your hard work? Good luck with that. Looking for a place that cant even figure out how to properly schedule enough people for the assigned workload, forcing the scheduled employees to do the extra work? PERFECT! This may be the job for you. Lord knows they could use you. "use" being the perfect word here. Pay attention to the job postings and you will see alot of positions for Canad inns, it makes me wonder why. Oh wait ive met and seen the wisdom of head office and thier decisions and implementation. Its a wonder they still even exist. Someone do them a favour and just buy them out allready, it could be a good business with some leadership and advertising. But currently its not.

Lets not even talk about how much they care about their long time employees, like how they decided to not fire ( that would have been illegal) thier current staff, but that they didn't want any of them to represent thier new bar so they hire completely new barstaff for the transistion from the oak to nashilles (some who had no bar experience at all, ask around) while simply not giving old staff any shifts at all. These are some of the best bartenders in the business basically given the boot for untrained unprepared new staff. A
  more... friend of mine who is still on payroll and had worked there for years has not even had 1 shift since they lied to all the old staff telling them not to worry about thier jobs. This could be you in 5 years!  less
Pros
Not knowing you work and finding out your scheduled in 24 hours, This is a pro if you like a life where you cant plan or depend on your schedule, Its like a box of chocolates
Cons
The list is extensive, Before you apply, do some research and Seriously go down and find someone to honestly talk to about the company, Im writing this to try to help people, You have been warned.
Great place to grow
Banquet / Buffet / Line / Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  826 Regent Ave W, Winnipeg, MB11 March 2016
The staff and company are great for those who are looking to get settled in to a permanent position with a thriving organization.
Easy job with great coworkers. Lots of laughs
Barback/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 September 2015
A typical day is never the same, because it is a nightclub.Some days you get the business, and others you don't. I learned a lot on how to become a better bartender by people who have bartended for over 20 years. So I learned a lot.

I love the coworkers over there. We all get a long and the shifts are never without a laugh,
Pros
Tips
Cons
You're up until 4am
Productive and everyday is a learning process
Guest Services Agent (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba2 June 2015
Customer service oriented. Working as team player. Most enjoyable part of the job is talking to different type of people and learning something form them.
Physically exhasting
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 January 2015
Great for learning skills such as communication, leadership, and organization. Best place to experience physical work and learn team management capabilities, and to build extra muscle. Most enjoyable part is everyone works as a team.
Pros
Work experience
productive and fun workplace
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 September 2014
I just love cleaning.
people who i work with are very friendly and caring.
its very safe place to work
i enjoy working with Canad Inns team
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
No good
Front desk (Former Employee) –  Polo Park15 July 2014
Good staff, unprofessional managers the general manager is very friendly though
Definitely was a pleasure to work with different people and see happy guests everyday.
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 January 2014
I definitely would work here again. Was looking to working as Front Desk Manager had family emergency had to leave position.
Pros
Lunch and room discounts
Cons
very disorganized
wash dishes and stock shelves in cooler
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 December 2013
cleaning restarant and washing dishes peeling vegetables and stocking coolers.is was soso working here at beginning but not at end
Great Place to Work
Room Attendant/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB19 August 2013
I learned a lot working at Canad Inns, really enjoyed being part of a team but also enjoyed that I got to work independently. Hardest part of the day was when the hotel was booked full and there was a deadline to have everything cleaned.
Pros
Great GM
Cons
no cons, only con was my lifestyle at the time :(
Exciting, fast paced, ever-changing work place
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  Garden City, Transcona, Fort Garry, Metropolitan25 April 2013
As Executive Chef, required to over see all kitchen & administrative operations for all divisions of the company; Altos Garden Café, Tavern United, Banquets, The Oak Food Bar, Celebrations Dinner Theater, Catering, Metropolitan Center

In charged of maximizing productivity of the kitchen staff, as well as managing sous chef and chef de partie.

Strong ability to spot problems and resolve quickly and efficiently, while maintaining a level head, and delegate many kitchen tasks simultaneously.

Accountable to management for the production of budgeting, food & labor costing, menu planning, with the ability to implement corrective action when necessary to help assure that financial goals are met.

Customer service, with emphasis on customer satisfaction through exemplary quality and service.

Ability to step in on any area that requires assistance.
Pros
exciting and challangeing work place
Cons
long hours, poor work / life balance
low pay and very hectic place to work
Hotel Accountant (Former Employee) –  winnipeg, MB24 February 2013
flexible time. very low salary. some managers are very unprofessional. co-workers were very nice. hardest part of the job was to deal with some managers attitude. most enjoyable part was to have flexible time.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
low pay