Position: Maintenance Person
Posting Date: February 21, 2014
Location: Georgian College - Barrie
1 Georgian Dr, Barrie, ON L4M 3X9
Start Date: May 1, 2014 (Approximately)
Interviews: March 10-14 (Approximately)
Application Deadline: March 9, 2014 at 11:59pm
Instructions: Applications must include a current resume and cover letter. Applications should be submitted via our website: http://campuslivingcentres.snaphire.com/home
Special Notes: Only selected applicants will be notified if they have been chosen to take part in an interview process.
Position Summary and Job Magnitude
The Maintenance Person must ensure that the entire building is in safe and good working order at all times. This includes a combination of preventative maintenance tasks, daily repair requisitions, and supporting outside contractors when on site.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
Preventative maintenance is necessary for all aspects of keeping the building running smoothly. Some of the responsibilities involved with this position include but are not limited to:
- Daily checks of the building and equipment
- Greasing bearings, replacing filters and belts on equipment as per maintenance schedules
- Check utility meters on daily basis to monitor consumption.
- Check standpipes and fire panel on a daily basis
- Check all fire extinguishers are at their proper levels and intact
- Keep detailed records of all maintenance and inspections
- Any other preventative maintenance as required
Daily repair requisitions are to be completed in a timely fashion to ensure proper building operation and customer satisfaction. Tasks can include, but are not limited to:
- Replacing or repairing burnt out lights and fixtures
- Moving furniture and appliances
- Basic plumbing repairs and replacements, including unclogging toilets
- Fixing damaged sections of drywall
- Maintaining interior finishes, including vinyl wall coverings and painting
- General janitorial tasks such as garbage collection and spill cleanups
- Keep detailed records of all work
- Any other maintenance or janitorial duties as required or asked to perform
The Maintenance Person’s role can be strenuous and requires the individual to be in good physical condition. Physical demands include:
- Climbing ladders
- Moving appliances and furniture
- Repetitive lifting of up to 60lbs
- Cardio vascular endurance for tasks such as snow removal and climbing stairs
- Working in confined spaces, including lying on their side or working on their knees for up to 30 minute.
- Ability to grip and manipulate basic hand tools and parts
- Hand dexterity and fine motor skills for working with small parts
- Repetitive reaching or working above their head
- Majority of the working day spent standing conducting repairs and maintenance
Performance will be primarily measured on the following factors:
- Inter-Personal Skills
- Customer Service
- Skill & Knowledge * Quality of Desired Results
- Adaptability & Flexibility
- Organizing & Planning
- Overall Performance
- Knowledge of commercial electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems
- Must be competent with general physical plant repairs
- Must possess positive attitude towards work and learning
- Must be able to handle multiple projects at once
- Must be able to work weekends when required.
Experience Required: Minimum of 1-3 years industry experience or equivalent
Education: High School Diploma, Recognized College Diploma preferred
Hours per Week: Scheduled 40 hours per week (may need to work more as required)
Indoor/Outdoor: Indoor and some Outdoor
Level of Interruption: High level of interruption
Stress Level: Moderate overall stress level (Peak stress levels in May and September)
Travel Outside of Location: Minimal
Campus Living Centres manages on-campus and off-campus residences with over 12,000 beds at
14 institutions across Canada. For additional information about Campus Living Centres please visit www.campuslivingcentre.com/careers.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is Campus Living Centres policy to promote equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. Campus Living Centres does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status or sexual orientation. Campus Living Centres prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the grounds listed above. This applies to all areas of employment including recruitment, hiring, training and promotion.
If you require accommodation in order to successfully submit an application, please email us to make your accommodation request via Human Resource Department.
Compensation for this position will be $13 an hour.
Director, Residence Operations