Camosun College Employee Reviews

Good and Bad
Administrative Team (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 September 2017
The most frustrating thing about Camosun is also the best thing. That is the union environment. It's great that they have your back, but it's also difficult to move someone who is not a good fit for position. I don't always feel like the union has my back, but with other aspects they sure do.
Meaningful work with supportive colleagues
Course Coordinator and Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 September 2017
Great place to work. Meaningful work with hardworking and talented students. Colleagues and management are supportive. Processes are updated regularly for efficiency.
Fun Place to Work
Health Officer’s Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 June 2017
Very fun place to work with great staff and lots of laughs. There was opportunity to learn other positions within the Student Society office. Management was friendly.
Pros
Fun
student
Student (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC31 May 2017
it was a learning experience. I mainly just did some upgrading and paved a way to getting my business administration degree. I took math and English courses. I do have my high school diploma.
Terrible labour relations
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC11 May 2017
Sadly, a decade of under-funding of public education has gutted this college like so many other institutions in the province. The result includes an administration that is perpetually at war with the unions. The grievances pile to the sky while morale sinks. Teaching excellence is paid lip-service, but there is no accountability other than in the counting of beans to balance budgets. Students deserve far better.

Tone deaf administration confuses an archaic and authoritarian management style with progressive and creative leadership.
Pros
Students will always be the highlight.
Cons
Administrative incompetence, poor advancement opportunities, stagnant culture
Great campus
Writing Instructor / Editor (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 May 2017
Good variety of courses and staff. Nice campus and buildings. The management is respectful. Pay is good. Union rates. Three campuses makes for great choices.
I was the Food Service Director at this location'
Director of Food Services (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC29 July 2016
Daily paperwork, scheduling, training, maintenance,inventory, shipping, receiving, disciplinary actions in a Union environment, banking, marketing and supervision of 32 staff all while maintaining an effect food and labour cost to be profitable.

I learned that a positive environment develops a a positive team to work with.

I received all the training and support for my District Manger he was great!

The hardest thing would have to be implement new items and strategies with the staff. Some are very reluctant to change but change is sometimes necessary for success.

Starting up the Starving Student Program, recycling program and Christmas for a student family they were all a success and made me very proud of not only myself but all my staff.
Pros
Great training.
Cons
My DM transferred to the Marketing Department and I only got to see him for specialized training.
Very fun time doing this job
International Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC15 October 2015
Was a summer part time job working with very talented people, sharing time with young student, giving guidance about Canadian culture, and showing them about habits and costume that people do every day.
Pros
Sharing time with students
Cons
Not at all
It's a fun and interactive place to learn and work
Peer Connections Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 August 2015
a typical Peer Coonections Meeting would help you to develop helping and personal interaction skills.
have opportunities to provide leadership and make a positive contribution to the Camosun community
have an opportunity to meet and interact with other international students and domestic students on a social and intellectual level
Pros
free snacks and drinks
Cons
long meetings
Biology Technologist (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC10 July 2015
Great place to work. Very busy during the term. Work a variety of instructors some are organized and some are not organized.
Pros
Diverse work
Cons
Low pay
Great People, Great atmosphere, Great variety of work, great Job!!!!!
HVAC Tech 2 Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC4 March 2015
Great People, Great atmosphere, Great variety of work, great Job!!!!! overall Camosun is a great place to work with great people that make everyday a pleasure
Enjoyed my time there
Barista (Former Employee) –  Victoria BC9 February 2015
I made specialty coffees for a college cafeteria. I really enjoyed my job there but no room for advancement. Hourly wages at that time were minimum($8 per hour) and I had a family. I learned how to make really yummy coffees. Management was very supportive of each employees needs. Hardest part of job was trying to secure enough hours to make a living. Most enjoyable was each day meeting clients and fellow employees.
Pros
Learned how to make great coffees
Cons
Not enough hours
Excellent learning environment
Project Management Program (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 January 2014
The Instructors very helpful and administrators very accommodating
and helpful.
Pros
Great location
Cons
Computer Labs are a little 'aged'
Great experience
Representative of University Recruitment Fair (Former Employee) –  Dalian, China19 March 2013
I met a couple of amazing people there, they are gentle and passionate about their jobs