Calgary Stampede

Calgary Stampede Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great learning place with rich western hospitality tradition
Mechanical Operator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 19, 2013
Pros: great learning place
Cons: pay is a lot lower compared to the rest companies in the industry
We usually start the day with rather informal round-table gathering in the morning. Our chief and assistant chief will tell us what work should be done or what concerns they have or special requests they received from other departments or dispatch center. They would then ask each individual of us who is willing/volunteering to handle these tasks. After that, we will take care less urgent tasks such as keep preventative maintenance up to date or do the water tests.

I have learned how to interact with guests, coworkers, and with various trade people. I have also acquired more interpersonal and better customer service skills. Exposing myself to myriad equipment in the park make me more humble as almost everyday I am facing new challenges.

Our department manager always lead us by the example as they all worked their way from the bottom. I wouldn't want to be them (our chief and assistant chiefs) as our department is constantly running under the budget, not protected by the union and our new staffs constantly being lured by other companies as our wage is a lot lower than the rest of companies in the industry.

The hardest part of the job is probably a lot of building's HVAC design are done without HVAC/Refrigeration mechanics expertise opinions and lots of equipment are mix and matched (as air handler unit is Trane while AC and heating is Carrier) which make them aren't fully compliant with control system. Sometimes we have to pay extra money to have these kinds of issues rectified. The result of this is our department constantly operating under the budget. On top of that, all – more... the other trades who work in the park are unionized but ours are not. Quite a lot of time the plumbers or electricians won't allow us to touch area that deals with piping or electricity on our own equipment which they have no previous training at all. Things can get frustrated if we have deadlines to meet.

The most enjoyable of this job is when we can resolve issues some contractors or engineer overlook or couldn't resolve; however, for this year it would be getting Stampede 2013 going after the entire park was ravaged by the flood despite having only 2 weeks to cleanup and setup. This not just proved together we are greatest, keeping the tradition going as well as keep the economy flowing as many business in the city and out of town all depend on this event. – less
Fun job BUT beware... parking department is in midst of management crisis
Parking Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2014
Pros: fun events make for good atmosphere, flexible
Cons: weather, poorly managed, over worked
I loved the job and was such a proud Stampede employee but watching as prices rose, customer service levels fell and experienced, knowledgable staff were squeezed out became too much to bare. Management has proven unable to proactively plan and staff appropriately for annual events. Perpetual staff shortages mean staff are often over worked, undervalued and unappreciated. Leading to high turn over and the cycle repeats. Management is unwilling or unable to do anything to change this cycle. Opportunities for advancement are reserved for favourites and not based on experience, knowledge or education. If you enjoy greeting people, providing information and directions and can work in an environment that does not value you and varies from crazy- cars everywhere, to ghost town- not a car to be seen, then working for parking might be for you. Ah ya, don't forget parking is outside so you need to be able to brave all weather conditions. The Stampede means a lot to me. It has potential to be a great place but at present I would recommend avoiding employment there especially in the parking department.
its fun place to work and get to meet people all over the world when they come to see th e Indian Village.
Event Staff (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMay 12, 2014
Pros: get free meals at the bannock booth and down the midway
Cons: i just dont like working towards nighttime, the drunk people really gives the event stauff a hard time
There are different job sites in the Calgary Stampede and different shifts within the village.
I've learned a lot from the stampede board and the elder's what the Calgary stampede is all about?
We keep up with our duties in the village to keep it safe and welcome every visitor that comes in through that gate of the midway.
We always make sure our co-workers do make it to work on time so we don't get ducted from our pay. We try to keep things simple and easy for the rest of the group.
The hardest part of the job is keeping the drunk people out of the village and safe for visitors to take a look around in the village.
We go and enjoy the grandstand show after every shift we get off and try to ride every ride in midway and have a jolly good time. my most enjoyment of the Calgary Stampede is going to the coca cola stage to watch my favorite bands play.
Young Fun Environment
Gate Administration (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: fun co-workers, great environment, flexible hours
Cons: strict dress code, low pay
This is a great place to look for a fun summer job. The 2 years I worked here I always had fun, and it was a great stepping stone for customer service experience. The management team was fun and all my co-workers became close friends. The hours were always reasonable and you had a decent amount of flexibility with when you could work. The only thing I do not like about working for these guys is they discourage certain looks, anyone with piercings, colored hair or tattoos of any kind will either not be hired or will be asked to remove or cover them while at work, even the smallest of piercings like a nose stud or more than one piercing per ear. The other hard part of this job is you're standing all day in the sun, in black and your water bottle must be kept in the back storage area. The great co-workers and fun environment make up for the few places this job faulters.
Work life at the Calgary Stampede
Team Leader (Former Employee), Leader, SKSeptember 20, 2015
Pros: Always had people to make me laugh even when I was upset, and the rewards.
Cons: Drunken people, unreliable employee (one)
I was a team leader for the facilities, yeah it was gross. But i still had great reliable co-workers with me. What i learned was to be more patient, because sometimes there was just a rush of people come into the washroom and i wouldnt be able to clean in the toilet area i should say. Management was incredible, my boss put so much authority out to let people know that he was THE BOSS, but i always was on his good side, never had any blow ups, or anything from him to me, so i'd say i did a really good job. My coworkers were supportive, but just as much very hard on me, they were challengening me to do a good job, and they did. The hardest part of the job was just waiting for the line up to go down so i could clean the counters/bathroom areas. The most enjoyable part was I had so many supporters around me it made me feel like I was at home.
Productive family friendly workspace
Host/usher (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Pros: 2 hour lunch break for swich over to night shift
Cons: Championship sunday
Cannot wait to return to the Calgary stampede for my 4th year, very excited!

Arrive at work half an hour before shift, swipe in then walk up to the 4th level, await the first shift to start, crowds would flood in over the time of the rodeo and would settle down about 2hours in.

I learned customer service skills that are with me to this day and how to act with all different types of customers and bring them great service

The manager was exceptionally well knowledge and trained

co-workers all very friendly to the existent of a work family

hardest part of the job, running into a new struggle but then benefiting with a new skill on to handle a certain situation.

Getting to see thousands of new faces, warm smiles and a great rodeo and chuck wagon race in the evening.
Fun work environment and good experience
Security (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 7, 2014
Pros: freedom/unsupervised, meet lots of people, get into stampede for free
Cons: long hours for 11 straight days, sometimes standing in the heat for hours, can be very boring
I met lots of new people working at the stampede, from all over the world. My co-workers were kind and hard working and my supervisor was one of the nicest men I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. I would have new experiences every day and learnt many new things in the 11 days that I worked there. I enjoyed the freedom of walking around the BMO centre and interacting with people, whether I was answering their questions or they were answering mine. It got hard at night sometimes when people from the beer gardens would beg to get into the BMO centre to use the wash room and we had to continuously tell them it was closed or when people wouldn't leave when it was close. Overall it was a good experience and I would work there again.
Nice Co-workers and Supervisor
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 11, 2012
Pros: 50% of purchases on the grounds. prizes for doing a good job.
Cons: standing and walking for long hours
Work usually started at 8 am in the morning. It varied most of the time but normally it was an early shift. We worked till the evening. The Calgary stampede is a 12 day job, so this was a routine for about 12 days. I loved working at the stampede. The staffs and supervisor were super friendly and willingly to help you if you had any problem with your schedule or just problems in general. There was a specific team I worked with everyday and by the end of Stampede, we became like a family. The teamwork was impeccable. Everyone helped each other when necessary. The hardest part of my job was probably dealing with customers when it got extremely busy.
Productive hard work , Fun to work with others
Litter partol (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 3, 2014
Pros: some days they would give us these free lunch passes
Cons: i would only get long hours if its a really busy day
a typical day at stampede wasn't to bad it was exciting to see people around me feel the need that they should be in a clean environment, I've learned that helping the global warming makes not only yourself but the community around you feel like its should be clean and feel good in a happy place, If it wasn't for my co-workers i wouldn't have been a social person i am today, i would like to thanks everything they have done for me. The most hardest part of the job was the moving around part, around stampede time there's plenty of people walking around and it makes it hard for us to get around sometimes. The most enjoyable part of the job was that i got to see some of my friends and to experience the rides and stampede i really enjoyed that job.
It was a fun place to work
Calgary Stampede (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 22, 2013
Pros: "employee bucks" were used as cash for the employees
Cons: heat
A typical day of work included informing customers they were not allowed to park/ drive their vehicles into the protected area. There was really nothing new that I learned. I did though get to see how the Stampede was put together and how it recovered from the resent flooding that occurred in Southern Alberta. I never really got to see any of my co-workers, we primarily worked alone. The hardest part of the job was having to stand for 8 hours in over 25 degree celsius, but we had water jugs at all stations. The most enjoyable part of my job was getting to know new people and helping others.
Unprofessional and incompetent management create a negative culture.
Skilled professional (Former Employee), CalgarySeptember 1, 2012
Pros: occasional discounts on western clothing
Cons: the work environment, culture and management
The Calgary Stampede is one of the worst places I have worked in my entire career. It may be a fun place to work as a temporary employee during the 10 days of Stampede, but as a professional employee, it is a waste of your talents and time. I resigned within my first year of working there because the management are completely incompetent, bordering on abusive. I discourage anyone who is thinking of working there based on my own experience and what I have seen taking place within the months since I resigned. Certainly do not work in the Human Resources department which has had more than 100 percent turnover in the past 2 years.
communicating with people and meet new people each days
Praking (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 25, 2014
Pros: it's makes easier to not carring food from home
Cons: eating unhealthy everyday
I learned each day at work a lots of things like communicating with different people and learing from each others.sharping ideas, team works always without any conflicts. I love working with my co works because it increasing the chanes of getting to know their personalites and make it easier working enviroments. the hardest job I had ever dane is working outside by river in -30 degress . The most enoyable part time I have done is working at Calgary Stampede during summer and where I met great people and get to know them each indiviual which is pretty great.
Fast pace enviroment, fun job for the most part
Games Attendant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 14, 2015
Pros: having good people to work with.
Cons: long hours
Everyday at work I would go to my stand and call people over to come into the stand and play the game I was at. I learned a lot more people skills, as before I was pretty shy. Although I felt expendable to my employer and there was no job security which made me uncomfortable. The people I worked with were very energetic and enthusiastic about their jobs which I worked well with. The hardest part of my job was being out in the hot sun all afternoon and working all night, then closing up the stand. I enjoyed interacting with people and working with my co-workers.
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaSeptember 9, 2014
I enjoyed working for the Stampede because everyday was a new experience, and a new challenge. I was in charge of completing payroll entries for my department, updating kitchen orders and I handled all reception duties. I worked with a variety of people and was able to get along with everyone, while keeping a professional and mature attitude. The part I enjoyed the most about working for the Stampede was the excitement and the pressure when it came to planning a large event. Being part of a team and being able to complete a event was always a great experience, and I valued the time I spent working for this company.
fun place to work.. during stampede time
Building Attendant1 (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 7, 2016
Pros: free luches great staff
Cons: to much favortisim
good company are it used to be until the super attendant candace took over she does not know how to run anything but without her it would be a great company loved working with the staff company has gone done hill drastically in the last 5 years but even still its the type of job that makes u feel like family and a home away from home
produtive place, good working environment
waste management (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 5, 2015
get to work 15 minute's early get to your group, go to your route and clean help others and such.

I learnt to be mature because I really want to be taken seriously by others.

Duties included general clean up of stampede grounds during Stampede duties also include sorting recyclable materials

The only time I would talk to my co workers was at break and they would do the same.

The weather because it was the time that it was flooding in Calgary.

Helping others in the stampede.
a nice place to start a career
administrative assistant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 3, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
a typical day at work is a long day and it can be busy one day and very slow the next day so it is very unpredictable. co-workers are very nice, different ages but it works and the hardest part of the job is when you sit there for hours and do not do anything because there is not enough work for everybody.
the most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers, they are very friendly and easy to get along with.
Fun and fast paced workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 18, 2014
Pros: percentages off at some locations on the ground
I dealt with lots of people and i had fun doing so. I was never really bored and always had a job to do which is what i look for in a job. The seniors and supervisors were easy to get along with and always made sure us workers were alright and had everything we needed.
There wasn't really a hardest part of the job.
fast paste and fun environment
Office Administrator (Current Employee), CalgaryJune 4, 2014
• Welcoming visitors and staff.
• Administration and communication – Mail, Phone and E-mails.
• Scheduling- inputting data to create timetables for staff.
• Organising the paper work for daily events.
• Float count every day, cash outs and organising change for events.
• Procurement of merchandise Food and Drink and dealing with invoices and deliveries.
• Using excel sheets on a daily basis, people system software and programming tills.
not a bad place to work part time but full time is not an option.
Sanitary Engineer (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaJuly 24, 2012
Pros: easy job.
Cons: no hours.
Don't work here full time. The pay is not great, the hours are awful full time or part time.? The staff is friendly but you got to be out of your mind to work during the month of July ( that's when stampede is at it's peek ).
Overall I would rate it a 2 out of 5 because the hours are so inconsistent.