Calgary Stampede

Calgary Stampede Employee Reviews in Canada

Exhausting but worth it
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 30, 2016
A typical day included, but was not limited, to tasks such as washing dishes, ensuring a sanitary environment, prepping, handling, and serving food to endless streams of customers from around the world. It was fast paced, long, and at times, stressful.But the benefits allow for one to turn a blind eye to the scheduling conflicts or the long hours. The salary is fair, the individuals in charge are reasonable and accommodating, the fast paced environment is also fun and exciting, and the co-workers were positive all round. From this job I learned a number of skills valuable to the food service industry, and developed personal skills, such as patience and stamina.
Pros
free admission to fair grounds, friendly environment, good salary
Cons
long Hours, overstaffed
Great work experiance
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
Everyday at this establishment I had to help maintain a clean park, i did this by sweeping the stampede grand stand and keeping the washrooms clean etc. i learnt more organizational skills, the management was excellent, the hardest part of the job was getting thew the crowd but other then that i enjoyed everything
Pros
free lunches and great hours
Cons
N/A
amazing work exsperience
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
always looking forward to the summer coming so i am able to work the 10 days of stampede, i love keeping busy and meeting new people and those are both the main things you receive from working this job. i get to change my job every year to learn new techniques and gain more experiences. You get very good money for the 10 days as well as a job to remember.
Pros
good money, fun atmosphere, free admission into the stampede grounds
Cons
hot weather
Fast pace enviroment, fun job for the most part
Games Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 14, 2015
Everyday at work I would go to my stand and call people over to come into the stand and play the game I was at. I learned a lot more people skills, as before I was pretty shy. Although I felt expendable to my employer and there was no job security which made me uncomfortable. The people I worked with were very energetic and enthusiastic about their jobs which I worked well with. The hardest part of my job was being out in the hot sun all afternoon and working all night, then closing up the stand. I enjoyed interacting with people and working with my co-workers.
Pros
having good people to work with.
Calgary Stampede
Concession booth cook at the BMO (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
1. A day at work would include cooking food for the costumers and cleaning the flattop and deep fryer after work, as well as stocking and cleaning the station for the next day.
2. The hardest part of the job was the late hours and dealing with the oil burns from the deep fryer.
3. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning how to work fast and sanitary.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Tight spaces.
-challenging but rewarding enviroment
carny (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 23, 2016
-long hours in the sun but worth it because of all the people you get to meet
-Taught me public-speaking and how to attract customers
Wonderful temporary work.
Night shift park laborer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 26, 2016
A typical night and day started off the same, every one knew their jobs and did them well. temps like myself learned the rythem very quickly and the daily process became faster and easier.

the hardest part of the job was switching from nights to days but that was easier then expected and didn't affect the moral of any one
Exciting, fun, unique work environment
Station Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2016
Fun, fast paced, long and exciting.
Improved my cash handling skills, improved in my supervising skills.
Management is well accommodating and understanding, helps if you need them.
Co-workers are fun, upbeat, and existed to be there.
Dealing with unhappy and difficult customers.
Getting to work for a fun, unique and exciting corporation.
Pros
Working in a fun and upbeat environment
Productive family friendly workspace
Host/usher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 14, 2016
Cannot wait to return to the Calgary stampede for my 4th year, very excited!

Arrive at work half an hour before shift, swipe in then walk up to the 4th level, await the first shift to start, crowds would flood in over the time of the rodeo and would settle down about 2hours in.

I learned customer service skills that are with me to this day and how to act with all different types of customers and bring them great service

The manager was exceptionally well knowledge and trained

co-workers all very friendly to the existent of a work family

hardest part of the job, running into a new struggle but then benefiting with a new skill on to handle a certain situation.

Getting to see thousands of new faces, warm smiles and a great rodeo and chuck wagon race in the evening.
Pros
2 hour lunch break for swich over to night shift
Cons
Championship sunday
work was outstanding and I got to work with a lot of cool people.
Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2016
My day to day work schedule was stamping people's hands, and scanning peoples tickets when they came through the gate greeting them.
Pros
Greeting people
Cons
Long Hours
Productive and fun workplace with a great support and managerial staff
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2016
Every day is different, with varying benefits and challenges. Ultimately we provide the best experience for the client, which is emphasized in a positive manner by the management. The team work ethic is second to none, with every member helping without question.
Safety conscious and great staff
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
The Management was very flexible and accommodating. My co-workers were very knowledgeable and great to work with. I loved the job, our supervisors were great at debriefing us about what was expected on a typical day and what events were happening. They made sure we knew our duties and what was expected of us. They handled any issues with staff and equipment professionally and respectfully.
productive and fun workplace
Usher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2016
I learned that It's critical to work as a team, because it can improve the work efficiency and increase workplace cohesion.

The hardest part of this job is to provide a high level of customer service at a fast peace environment. I think it's very challenging and I was eager to do my job very well.
Not that great
Busser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 20, 2016
The pay was good, but the environment and the dress code weren't very good. We were required to be on our feet for long hours at a time (one half hour or two fifteens in a 6 to 8 hour shift is not long enough) and were required to wear dark clothing in 20+ degree weather.
Pros
Half off food at kiosks in same building
enjoyed customers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 25, 2016
it was an enjoyable place to work and meet people hearing all the fans comment on the plays you could tell by there faces wether it was good or bad at the end I had to cash out and balance the money and beer tickets
Pros
meeting people
Cons
dealing with intoxicated people
It was a great learning experience.
Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 19, 2016
I was at the front gate greeting guests and welcoming visitors. I think that the supervisors were friendly and great. The training was excellent. Got to meet lots of people and it was great to have people encourage one another
Fast paced
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 9, 2016
Long hours on your feet for only okay pay. It is loud since I was working security at Nashville North. Hard to hear on the radios and hard to move when you are needed due to the amount of people there. It is a good job if you need some quick cash over the course of stampede, but don't expect very much free time.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Productive and intense work place
Venue Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 21, 2016
Take care of customers and keep the Grandstand clean. The hardest part part of the job is the night shift and due to the lack of participation of some lazy coworkers , the work is little bit harder.
Work life at the Calgary Stampede
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKSeptember 20, 2015
I was a team leader for the facilities, yeah it was gross. But i still had great reliable co-workers with me. What i learned was to be more patient, because sometimes there was just a rush of people come into the washroom and i wouldnt be able to clean in the toilet area i should say. Management was incredible, my boss put so much authority out to let people know that he was THE BOSS, but i always was on his good side, never had any blow ups, or anything from him to me, so i'd say i did a really good job. My coworkers were supportive, but just as much very hard on me, they were challengening me to do a good job, and they did. The hardest part of the job was just waiting for the line up to go down so i could clean the counters/bathroom areas. The most enjoyable part was I had so many supporters around me it made me feel like I was at home.
Pros
Always had people to make me laugh even when I was upset, and the rewards.
Cons
Drunken people, unreliable employee (one)
fun work place with grand stand show
Cleaning (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 25, 2016
Fun work place with cowboys, beautiful horse,grand stand show and good team work with co-workers.with good payment.i meet good friends who have good work ethic
Pros
free soft drinks

Calgary Stampede Reviews by Location