Calgary Stampede

Calgary Stampede Employee Reviews

Hard work, long hours, but worth it.
Sweeper (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 1, 2016
Worked 8 days of stampede as a sweeper, cleaning up wrappers, trash, and garbage leaking from a compactor that had been rotting for months. But as bad as it seems, it is a great way to give your bank account a stimulus. The hours are long and hard, but at the end of Stampede, I was lucky enough to work an extra three days after, and make close to an extra half grand. Co-workers are all nice, and help each other make it through the day. It doesn't help that i unwittingly chose one of the worst available jobs, but I have heard that there are lots of other jobs apart of the stampede that pay really nice, and don't suck either. So really, it is a great way to make some cash quick, but you got to know what you're looking for when you apply.
Secure BMO Center and surrounding Stampede Buildings
Team Lead and Security Guard (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 19, 2016
The Calgary Stampede is a very dynamic place to work year round.
Working in the Security Department has given me a chance to see
what to takes to pull off a large scale 1,000,000 person event
too a small scale mom and pop event on Stampede Grounds.
The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people from all over
the world. Helping people makes me happy and being able to make them happy is a fulfilling career choice.
Pros
Free coffee and water, never mind the GREATEST OUTDOOR SHOW ON EARTH
Cons
Not full time.
Exhausting but worth it
Dishwasher/Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 30, 2016
A typical day included, but was not limited, to tasks such as washing dishes, ensuring a sanitary environment, prepping, handling, and serving food to endless streams of customers from around the world. It was fast paced, long, and at times, stressful.But the benefits allow for one to turn a blind eye to the scheduling conflicts or the long hours. The salary is fair, the individuals in charge are reasonable and accommodating, the fast paced environment is also fun and exciting, and the co-workers were positive all round. From this job I learned a number of skills valuable to the food service industry, and developed personal skills, such as patience and stamina.
Pros
free admission to fair grounds, friendly environment, good salary
Cons
long Hours, overstaffed
Good first job
Cleaner, afternoon shift - 12 days (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2016
Training on the job. Coworkers are close to same age, and team leader understands what needs to be done and helps when needed. Typical day run through of how we did the day before, head to suits and clean them, do any extra work then have break,then empty trashes form the kitchen and pantry. Lots of walking which is good. Direct the public if they have a hard time finding something. Hardest part is there is a lot of repetitive stuff like cleaning bathrooms.
Pros
pros: long break(s)
Cons
cons: taking out heavy trash
amazing work exsperience
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 23, 2016
always looking forward to the summer coming so i am able to work the 10 days of stampede, i love keeping busy and meeting new people and those are both the main things you receive from working this job. i get to change my job every year to learn new techniques and gain more experiences. You get very good money for the 10 days as well as a job to remember.
Pros
good money, fun atmosphere, free admission into the stampede grounds
Cons
hot weather
Great work experiance
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 29, 2016
Everyday at this establishment I had to help maintain a clean park, i did this by sweeping the stampede grand stand and keeping the washrooms clean etc. i learnt more organizational skills, the management was excellent, the hardest part of the job was getting thew the crowd but other then that i enjoyed everything
Pros
free lunches and great hours
Cons
N/A
Fun experience with a friendly and profession environment
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 13, 2016
I was able to connect and work with my team mates quite well. I enjoyed conversing and giving proper service to each of our customers. The management that they offered was organized, professional and trusting. I learned to handle and secure cash, do inventory and maintain the good quality of our product.
Wonderful temporary work.
Night shift park laborer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 26, 2016
A typical night and day started off the same, every one knew their jobs and did them well. temps like myself learned the rythem very quickly and the daily process became faster and easier.

the hardest part of the job was switching from nights to days but that was easier then expected and didn't affect the moral of any one
Fast pace enviroment, fun job for the most part
Games Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 14, 2015
Everyday at work I would go to my stand and call people over to come into the stand and play the game I was at. I learned a lot more people skills, as before I was pretty shy. Although I felt expendable to my employer and there was no job security which made me uncomfortable. The people I worked with were very energetic and enthusiastic about their jobs which I worked well with. The hardest part of my job was being out in the hot sun all afternoon and working all night, then closing up the stand. I enjoyed interacting with people and working with my co-workers.
Pros
having good people to work with.
Cons
Productive and fun workplace with a great support and managerial staff
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 15, 2016
Every day is different, with varying benefits and challenges. Ultimately we provide the best experience for the client, which is emphasized in a positive manner by the management. The team work ethic is second to none, with every member helping without question.
Great work place
Gate Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 18, 2016
It was a very nice working environment with free rides and few free shows. I counted all the money, recorded them, separated the petty cash, and deposited the rest of the amount. That's the work I did at that time. There were some nice coaches to guide me and the people like me.
Pros
pleasant work environment with free rides
Cons
N/A
Calgary Stampede
Concession booth cook at the BMO (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 25, 2016
1. A day at work would include cooking food for the costumers and cleaning the flattop and deep fryer after work, as well as stocking and cleaning the station for the next day.
2. The hardest part of the job was the late hours and dealing with the oil burns from the deep fryer.
3. The most enjoyable part of the job was learning how to work fast and sanitary.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Tight spaces.
productive and fun workplace
Usher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 11, 2016
I learned that It's critical to work as a team, because it can improve the work efficiency and increase workplace cohesion.

The hardest part of this job is to provide a high level of customer service at a fast peace environment. I think it's very challenging and I was eager to do my job very well.
Exciting, fun, unique work environment
Station Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 5, 2016
Fun, fast paced, long and exciting.
Improved my cash handling skills, improved in my supervising skills.
Management is well accommodating and understanding, helps if you need them.
Co-workers are fun, upbeat, and existed to be there.
Dealing with unhappy and difficult customers.
Getting to work for a fun, unique and exciting corporation.
Pros
Working in a fun and upbeat environment
-challenging but rewarding enviroment
carny (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 23, 2016
-long hours in the sun but worth it because of all the people you get to meet
-Taught me public-speaking and how to attract customers
Fun workplace
Event Staff, Bar Security (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 17, 2016
Had to make sure this bar was a safe place.
Guided people to places they needed.
This was only a 10 day event.
I enjoyed my coworkers very much! In the beginning it was a little scary as this was my first time being security.
Pros
Everything was enjoyable
Not that great
Busser (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 20, 2016
The pay was good, but the environment and the dress code weren't very good. We were required to be on our feet for long hours at a time (one half hour or two fifteens in a 6 to 8 hour shift is not long enough) and were required to wear dark clothing in 20+ degree weather.
Pros
Half off food at kiosks in same building
enjoyed customers
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 25, 2016
it was an enjoyable place to work and meet people hearing all the fans comment on the plays you could tell by there faces wether it was good or bad at the end I had to cash out and balance the money and beer tickets
Pros
meeting people
Cons
dealing with intoxicated people
work was outstanding and I got to work with a lot of cool people.
Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 28, 2016
My day to day work schedule was stamping people's hands, and scanning peoples tickets when they came through the gate greeting them.
Pros
Greeting people
Cons
Long Hours
Safety conscious and great staff
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2016
The Management was very flexible and accommodating. My co-workers were very knowledgeable and great to work with. I loved the job, our supervisors were great at debriefing us about what was expected on a typical day and what events were happening. They made sure we knew our duties and what was expected of us. They handled any issues with staff and equipment professionally and respectfully.

Calgary Stampede Reviews by Location