Reporting to the Vice President, Finance & Administration, the Finance Manager – NHL Reporting, Planning & Tax is a key member of the Finance Department helping to lead the accounting and finance functions of the Calgary Sports & Entertainment Corporation (“CSEC”).
- Function as a finance leadership team member, operating at strategic and operational levels
- Create and foster effective working relationships with team members, business partners and external stakeholders
- Mentor and coach team members for professional development and continuous improvement
- Hold direct and indirect reports accountable for achieving goals and completing deliverables on time
- Contribute to maintaining a cohesive, engaged and positive team
o Steward the development of the CSEC annual operating and capital budgets and, as required, periodic forecasts and multi-year projections of financial results and positions. Effective and comprehensive analysis is required to bring management focus to the critical underlying issues and opportunities identified in the projections in all of the businesses of CSEC.
o Employ business acumen to ensure that departments set targets that fully reflect their true capacities in the business environments in which they operate and that allow CSEC to meet its owners’ expectations.
o Prepare and present budget, forecast and planning material to senior management (CEO, COO and Vice President Finance & Administration) as required.
o Develop budget and, where required, forecasts and plans for the Finance department.
o Maintain effective relationships with all departments to ensure that budget, forecast and planning processes run smoothly and that there is a thorough understanding of developments in the business.
o Identify and implement process improvements for budget, forecast and planning activities including system development and enhancements.
o Prepare all income tax returns for the CSEC family of legal entities. This includes but is not limited to Canadian income tax returns, partnership returns and charity information returns. This role is accountable for the timely, efficient and accurate filing of these various filing and computational requirements. It also includes accountability for the timely and optimal basis of tax payments if and as required.
o Prepare the annual partnership income estimate for the owners’ tax planning strategies.
o Provide ad hoc income tax and income tax accounting advice to the COO and the Vice President Finance & Administration.
o Monitor changes in income tax legislation applicable to the CSEC family of legal entities and ensure relevant changes, including their impact, are evaluated and communicated to the appropriate person(s).
o Coordinate Canada Revenue and provincial tax authority income tax audits, as required.
o Lead preparation of hockey related revenue (“HRR”) and unified report of operations (“URO”) that occur throughout the year.
o Ensure accuracy and completeness of HRR and URO reporting.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor degree in Commerce or Business Administration, alongside a professional accounting designation and CICA in-depth Tax Level I. You will have a minimum of ten years combined accounting, tax and budget experience along with a minimum of five years of leadership experience coupled with leading indirect reports. With your strong analytical skills to validate and challenge department projections and internal consistency, you will thrive on your strong process leadership skills to organize, plan, schedule and coordinate organization wide execution and resources. You will have exceptional interpersonal skills to attract candor and cooperation from all departments along with advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite including; Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Outlook. With your general knowledge of the Canadian Income Tax Act and tax compliance experience (including Canadian tax return filings) you will become an integral Business Partner to the organization. Hands-on experience with Great Plains Dynamics and Forecaster will also be considered a strong asset. In addition to the above your will have the following competencies:
- Attitude: Stays focused on the positive
- Business partner focus: Understands business partners’ needs, opportunities and challenges
- Collaborative: Builds effective working relationships with colleagues
- Communications: Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment: Dedicated to quality in all aspects of work
- Continuous improvement: Strives to optimize processes in areas of responsibility to deliver level of quality required
- Solutions focused: Focuses first on what it will take to make it work and explores options to overcome barriers
- Organizing: Ability to multi-task and prioritize
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in this position, please forward a copy of your resume and cover letter to jobs@calgaryflames. com.
Deadline for application is noon, Friday, December 27, 2013. Interviews will be conducted early in the New Year.