This is an exciting full-time career opportunity. The CSSC is Calgary’s largest provider of adult recreational sports leagues, tournaments and events. The Manager of League Operations will have a significant impact on the success of our programs. This position will be challenging but very rewarding; only highly motivated people should apply. The four primary areas of focus will be:
1. Games Coordinators (GCs): Similar to any restaurant, bar or campaign manager, the MLO will be responsible for the management of a team of 50 - 65 young, energetic part-time employees. In addition to GC program management, the MLO will also be the direct manager of the Field Advisor*.
2. Facility Bookings: In 2012, the CSSC hosted over 4,000 teams, all of whom played at our rented private or public facilities. The MLO will play a large role in helping to grow our leagues through development of new facility partnerships as well as managing the current relationships that we have.
3. Manage Field Staff: The MLO will hire, train and manage seasonal field staff who are onsite at our Grass Volleyball courts, Beach Volleyball courts, and at outdoor grass fields performing maintenance.
4. League Operations: At the CSSC, we are always looking to develop new programs and find ways to better manage our current offerings. The MLO will ensure continuous growth by upholding our high standards for current league players, while also working on potential new offerings.
- Field Advisor: Full-time, year-round position that is focused on helping the MLO manage the Games Coordinator program, being on-call for GC’s and helping to maintain and scout indoor facilities.
*Start date*: Oct/Nov 2013
*Completion date*: Permanent Position
*Hours*: Full-time hours Monday – Friday (40-44 per week). Some weeknight or weekend work will be required.
*Rate of pay*: $57,000 - $61,000 inclusive of Salary, Bonus and Benefits
- Annual performance evaluations facilitate growth in responsibilities and compensation
- Two raise opportunities in first 12 months typically equate to approximately 8% - 10%
- Unlimited free play in Sport and Social Club leagues and tournaments
- Discounts on adventure trips
- Free annual team building trips
1. Games Coordinators:
Work with the GC Field Advisor to:
- Hire a team of GCs prior to each season
- Train the team via classroom sessions and at the gyms
- Create weekly schedule of shifts, communicate to GCs, ensure 100% shift fulfillment
- Lead your team via in-field coaching, weekly Scorekeeper emails and fun events
- Visit GCs during CSSC games
- Work with Calgary and Edmonton MLOs to develop and maintain training programs, evaluation programs and budgeting initiatives
2. Manage Facilities:
- Work with Director to decide on facility needs
- Attend allocation meetings with the City of Calgary
- Work closely with the City of Calgary and Private facilities to maintain and further develop our working relationship
- Manage the facilities file(s) in Excel and using online software
- Manager the Field Maintenance Coordinator(s) - schedules, pay, performance
- Manage office staff when dealing with facility complaints and follow-ups
- Delegate to Field Advisor where possible
3. Staff Leader:
- Role model excellent customer service for the office and staff
- Ensure that all items on Seasonal and Annual planners are completed on time
- Help train and manage office and seasonal field staff
- Coordinate team goals and allocation of staff resources
- Help plan and lead weekly staff meetings
4. Manage Leagues:
- Plan and implement league pricing, dates and sports offered for each new season
- Research and develop new league offerings with Director, GM and Calgary/Edmonton MLO’s
- Direct collaboration with the Director and General Manager on potential improvements and changes to CSSC policies and procedures
- Work closely with the General Manager and other MLO’s to develop new league offerings
- Work closely with the Director and other MLO’s to make decisions on day-to-day operations
- Manage and teach seasonal Players Meetings
The SSC culture (Calgary and Edmonton offices), is based on a performance oriented environment. We place a strong emphasis on hiring exceptional people and giving them all of the support that they need to excel in their roles. New staff are given strong support and direction, but are encouraged to gain freedom through commitment and results. Weekly goal setting meetings with their manager help each staff person to have a plan for success. Ongoing skill development sessions increase admin staff and managers’ effectiveness in their roles. We also like to have fun: frequent staff outings, our innovations program, out of town trips to Banff, Sylvan Lake, Calgary, etc. are a few examples of our play hard, work hard mentality.
- University degree
- A leadership or management role in previous work experience is preferred (particularly in an office environment)
- High level of computer competence
- Driven and goal oriented
- Extremely organized
- Strong time management skills
- Communicator: written and oral
- Work well under deadline pressures
- Independent worker with strong group work skills
- Customer service oriented
- Willing to work full-time days and some evenings throughout the year
*How to apply*: All applicants must complete the online pre-interview form at www.calgarysportsclub.com. Please attach your resume and cover letter at the bottom of the pre-interview form. Attn. Rob Gillespie, Director.