Calgary Public Library Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Fun, simple, enjoyable.
Volunteer for Creativity Club (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 August 2017
It was simple to get into, and well managed, especially considering the club was new to the library's programs. It was a very relaxed environment, aside from when some of the kids got more rowdy, but overall, it was quite calm.
Volunteering Experience
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 July 2017
I learn new things about computers and about other cultures every time I Volunteer their. I enjoy reading, therefore I volunteer at library and I help kids read and use computers.
good to talk to other and develop communication skills
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2017
Improve teaching skills
Good for the community
Developing a great skill set
Self motivated
Competitive
Customer service
Public speaking
Organized
Independent as well as a team player
Good enough
Page (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2017
This job there's nothing wrong but for my taste, it is very repetitive and boring. Managers won't trust you with anything you can not take initiative with anything they will not allow that.
Pros
Good work-life balance
Cons
Repetitive and boring
productive workplace,
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 March 2017
As a volunteer I only work on for an hour and a half a week on Saturdays. Its a rather enjoyable experience, as the students are always keeping things interesting. The other volunteers are easy to work with.
Pros
Refreshments are provided
Fun and easy to volunteer
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2017
It is super easy to volunteer at the library. The staff is super warm and polite. There is a cute coffee shop located right inside the library to it's perfect to just go in and sit down while reading a book.
Cpl
ESL conversation club (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 July 2016
great place to volunteer. Volunteer and Staff are very helpful. The environment is a great place for personal growth. You get to work with different people which is a bonus. The CPL is a great place to work if you have a laid-back personality.
Pros
everything
Quiet and productive workplace
Library Page (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2016
I sharpened my focus and the supervisors and managers were very helpful. Co-workers were willing to help me out when needed and overall a very positive experience.
Volunteering
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2016
Volunteering at the Calgary Public Library was an exciting challenge that both myself and the seniors/kids. They were very friendly and energetic, always ready to learn new things. I provided a concise set of instructions for them to follow and they did so accordingly. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know a wide range of people, from kids, to seniors. It was an overall exciting program that I would not hesitate to do again.
Pros
Getting to know others
Nice
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 January 2016
It is fun helping out kids to learn new things in a fun way. To help them learn and understand things is the most fun thing I have experienced working under the library as a volunteer.
Nice.
Librarian Assistant. (Current Employee) –  Calgary AB26 September 2015
Repetitive tasks despite which you learn to attend some patrons. Environment of friendly manager and co-workers where the hardest is unload boxes with items and the enjoyable is perform pick list in order to get holds for clients.
Pros
Quiet without pressure.
Cons
Slow development..
Positive Environment
Reading Buddies - Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 May 2015
I really enjoyed volunteering here, my volunteer supervisor was amazing and was very understanding with my commitment to school. I love the Reading Buddies program, an excellent way to develop new relationships with my fellow volunteers, while also helping out younger kids with their literacy skills.
Balanced paced work
Student Page (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2014
Slow to balanced paced work
Individual work mostly
Very minimal teamwork
Absolutely no talking
Pros
Free Library Card
Cons
Absolutely no talking
Fun, learning environment
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2013
A typical day at volunteering at the Calgary Public Library (computer buddies, reading buddies) is that the group would get together before splitting up into their designed partners and would read a book together. Volunteers would split up with their reading buddy/computer buddy (kid) and they would teach them either how to read or use basic skills on the computer. At the end, the group would get together and do a small activity which required the kids to use their knowledge and skills. What I learned was how to be patient with children while they are in their beginning stages of development. The hardest part of the job was getting the kids to focus on their reading because sometimes they would refuse to read. What I would have to do here is to try and talk to them to read a simpler book or a book that they had interest in. What I enjoyed most was planning the activities with the kids for the group, because sometimes it was required of us to share what we learned from the book and the games that we would play with everyone.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Getting the kids to focus which allowed me to be patient
Good and solid place to work
Page (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2013
A typical day at the library would entail signing in, grabbing a cart of books and beginning to shelve them. However, when any customers needed the location of any books, I would show them where the location of books was. Out of this job, I learned how to efficiently manage my time. As we had a certain number of books to re shelve in a small amount of time, I had to manage my time and work quickly but accurately. My co-workers and I didn't engage much as being a page consists of shelving books by yourself. The hardest part of my job was learning to be efficient with the sorting of the books. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my hands and actually doing hands on work.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
boring