Calgary Public Library Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Nice
Volunteer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 25, 2016
It is fun helping out kids to learn new things in a fun way. To help them learn and understand things is the most fun thing I have experienced working under the library as a volunteer.
Nice.
Librarian Assistant. (Current Employee), Calgary ABSeptember 26, 2015
Pros: Quiet without pressure.
Cons: Slow development..
Repetitive tasks despite which you learn to attend some patrons. Environment of friendly manager and co-workers where the hardest is unload boxes with items and the enjoyable is perform pick list in order to get holds for clients.
Positive Environment
Reading Buddies - Volunteer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 26, 2015
I really enjoyed volunteering here, my volunteer supervisor was amazing and was very understanding with my commitment to school. I love the Reading Buddies program, an excellent way to develop new relationships with my fellow volunteers, while also helping out younger kids with their literacy skills.
Good and solid place to work
Page (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 19, 2013
Pros: meet new people
Cons: boring
A typical day at the library would entail signing in, grabbing a cart of books and beginning to shelve them. However, when any customers needed the location of any books, I would show them where the location of books was. Out of this job, I learned how to efficiently manage my time. As we had a certain number of books to re shelve in a small amount of time, I had to manage my time and work quickly but accurately. My co-workers and I didn't engage much as being a page consists of shelving books by yourself. The hardest part of my job was learning to be efficient with the sorting of the books. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my hands and actually doing hands on work.
Balanced paced work
Student Page (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 1, 2014
Pros: free library card
Cons: absolutely no talking
Slow to balanced paced work
Individual work mostly
Very minimal teamwork
Absolutely no talking
Fun, learning environment
Volunteer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 25, 2013
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: getting the kids to focus which allowed me to be patient
A typical day at volunteering at the Calgary Public Library (computer buddies, reading buddies) is that the group would get together before splitting up into their designed partners and would read a book together. Volunteers would split up with their reading buddy/computer buddy (kid) and they would teach them either how to read or use basic skills on the computer. At the end, the group would get together and do a small activity which required the kids to use their knowledge and skills. What I learned was how to be patient with children while they are in their beginning stages of development. The hardest part of the job was getting the kids to focus on their reading because sometimes they would refuse to read. What I would have to do here is to try and talk to them to read a simpler book or a book that they had interest in. What I enjoyed most was planning the activities with the kids for the group, because sometimes it was required of us to share what we learned from the book and the games that we would play with everyone.