Position: Secretary II
Competition Number: 14-EXT-012
Rate Scale (hr): $20.369 to $25.585
Closing Date: March 12, 2014
Location: Foothills Hospital
Schedule: Works mostly day shifts, Monday to Friday.
Reporting to the Division Head, Hematology and Transfusion Medicine, this position provides administrative and secretarial support to Division Head and Pathologists of Hematology/Flow Cytometry and Transfusion Medicine.
Administrative/Secretarial support to Division Head and Pathologists:
- Screens incoming mail; prioritizes, responds as necessary, routes inquiries. Composes/types correspondence, bulletins, reports, forms, memos, etc. Coordinates schedules, appointments, or meetings. Books conference/meeting rooms/arranges catering.
- Updates pathologists’ annual reports, curriculum vitae.
- Responsible for Pathologists’ CME Account approvals and records and Pathologists’ vacation and absence approvals and records.
- Makes travel arrangements as necessary and processes expense claims.
- Develops and maintains accurate and comprehensive filing system.
- Provides administrative support to Committees. Prepares agenda, records and transcribes minutes, correspondence, distributes minutes. Ensures outstanding items are brought forward, compiles relevant material for meetings and agenda items.
Research and Academic Support:
- Assists in preparation of research grants application. Prepares Special Purpose Account Request forms, as required for grant funds. Prepares Financial Accounting Reports for all grants received.
- Assists in preparation and submission of manuscripts and abstracts, as required. Assists in the preparation of overheads, slides, PowerPoint presentation and materials for presentations/teaching as required.
- Responsible for Pathologist on call “Rota”.
- Creates and maintains databases in Excel and Access.
- Back-up in compiling and distributing monthly Tumor Board meeting information.
Resident Training Program Administration:
- Maintains the program master schedule and coordinate residents/preceptors scheduling.
- Provide administrative assistance to the Program Director, committee members, and preceptors/supervisors.
- Manage teaching materials and resident/program evaluations.
- Assist in preparation of funding proposals and reports; keep financial accounting of the professional and resident training funds.
Professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use confidential information appropriately, and maintain the confidentiality and security of all information related to patients, staff and the business of CLS.
Demonstrates Professionalism, Respect/Caring, Integrity, Dedication and Excellence (PRIDE) in the work environment.
Key Skills and Aptitudes
- High School graduation supplemented by post-secondary education in secretarial arts required.
- Medical terminology required.
- Five years of progressively more senior secretarial experience in a medical environment.
- Intermediate to advanced database and spreadsheet skills, excellent Microsoft Office skills including Word and Powerpoint.
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal skills; excellent administrative skills.
- Any Canadian equivalency to English 30 or 33 or CLBA score of Benchmark 8 completed within the last six months.
Please forward your resume, specifying competition number, to the Calgary Laboratory Services Human Resources Department via Fax at 403-770-3297 or online no later than 4 pm on the closing date.
Calgary Laboratory Services (CLS) is a medical diagnostic laboratory that offers a full range of laboratory services to Calgary and parts of...