Position: EH&S Assistant
Competition Number: 13-EXT-024
Status: 1.0 FTE Full-time
Duration: Temporary – March 31, 2014* (with potential to become permanent)
Closing Date: Open until filled
Rate Scale (hr): $20.369 to $25.585
Location: Diagnostic & Scientific Centre (#9, 3535 Research Road NW)
Schedule: Monday to Friday
- The duration of a temporary position may change due to operational needs
**Hours, location, and shifts are subject to change due to operational needs
This position provides assistance for the development, review, evaluation, implementation, maintenance and education of safety policies and practices throughout CLS.
Maintains WHMIS Material Safety Data Sheet database, including:
- Processing requests for MSDS updates
- Issuing, copying, and filing MSDS’s
- Maintaining laboratory departmental chemical inventories
Participates in the organization of WHMIS, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, and First Aid/CPR training including:
- Booking of staff for classes
- Issuing training materials
- Correcting examinations and issuing certificates
- Maintaining files and databases
- Assembling first aid kits and performing monthly inventory checks to maintain supplies for all CLS sites
- Preparation of specimen transport boxes for routine and Dangerous Goods shipments.
Provides secretarial and clerical support to the Environmental Health and Safety Office, including:
- Preparing meeting agendas, attending meeting for the purposes of taking minutes, types and distributes minutes
- Data entry of EH&S related courses in the Avanti Payroll System
- Types general correspondence including letters and memos as required. Receives, opens and sorts departmental mail.
Other duties as assigned.
Professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use confidential information appropriately and maintain the confidentiality / security of all information related to patients, staff and CLS business.
Demonstrates professionalism, respect/caring, integrity, dedication and excellence (PRIDE) in the work environment.
Skills and Aptitudes
- Grade 12 diploma required.
- Graduate of a recognized program in Secretarial Arts program or equivalent experience and education.
- Previous experience in healthcare field is preferred.
- Previous experience in Safety, WHMIS and Transport of Dangerous Goods is an asset.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite and Microsoft Outlook as well as up to six months of experience working in a clerical support role required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills.