The Calgary Drop In & Rehab Centre (DI) is a leader in our community. We lead in serving up to 1250 Calgarians each day, we lead in the provision of support services to people seeking rehabilitation, Supportive Housing, career training, medical services, and assisted living; and we lead in our dedication to the art of compassion. We operate with 7 multi-use building structures within the city limits. The buildings are a combination of shelter, residential, clinical, office, training, recreational, food service, and meeting spaces.
To prevent homelessness where possible, offer care and shelter when needed, and provide opportunities for people to rehabilitate and rebuild their lives.
The working environment in the Woodworks Program at the Calgary Drop In Centre is a very supportive and creative one, and provides a unique opportunity to acquire a sound foundation in professional woodworking. This demanding program is designed to prepare students to pursue a career in woodwork as a skilled employee. Currently, we are looking for a Woodworks Employment Placement Specialist (WW-EPS) to develop strategic relationships with targeted employers, identify hiring needs and market trends, and recommend program graduates for full-time employment opportunities. We require an individual who has a high level of initiative, is passionate about helping others and has the necessary skills to perform outlined duties.
Hours of Work:
To be determined
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews with colleagues to evaluate resumes and applicants for placement
- Establishes and maintains relationships with targeted employers to determine human resources needs, promote use of service, and monitor progress of placed individuals
- Assists WoodWorks students in obtaining the necessary documentation (government issued identification, bank accounts etc.) to obtain and sustain full time employment
- Arranges job interviews for career seekers
- Assists training instructors and participates with training programs as required
- Receives and records information from employers regarding employment opportunities
- Obtains position descriptions, and negotiates offers of employment; keeping the career seekers’ goals, qualifications and work preferences in mind
- Stays well versed in the local job market to locate vacancies and identify employment trends
- Networks with the business community by attending hiring and employment related events
- Places cold calls and conducts info sessions with potential employers to generate awareness of WoodWorks program and their graduates
- Secures job opportunities to ensure established placement goals are met
- Other related duties as assigned
Qualifications and Key Skills:
- Completion of a college or university program in any of the following; counseling, business, sociology or other field related to employment recruitment
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in business sector or related field
- Previous work experience in a social service environment as a volunteer or in a support capacity would be an asset
- Energetic and self-directed, with effective time management and organizational skills including the ability to deal with several priorities at the same time
- Strong strategically-focused analytical skills, good common sense; and capacity to provide leadership
- Well-developed inter-personal and conflict resolution and negotiating skills
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written
- The use of a personal vehicle is an asset, and mileage will be reimbursed
- Computer skills including familiarity with word processing, database, and Internet
“The Di” is an “Employer of Choice”, and afford each employee an opportunity to help make a real difference in our community, and more importantly in the lives of less privileged people. We take great care in hiring the right people who fit, and who share our outlook on the value of people.