Calgary Co-operative Association Limited

Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Employee Reviews

Calgary Co-op: Overall Review
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2016
A great place for a high school student to seek a first job. Calgary Co-op provides first time employees (and long term employees) with the necessary skills to move forward in the job market (either outside, or within the company). Essentially, Calgary Co-op is a steady and prosperous form of employment for those who wish to engage in greater interpersonal skills.
Pros
Fair and equitable allocation of hours
Cons
Long work terms for very little gain
A workplace that is great when it is temporary.
Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  High River, ABApril 28, 2016
A typical day at Co-op is walking in, saying hellos, and seeing which products the floor needs to be fully stocked. It has taught me a lot about fresh produce, baked goods, and gasoline. The management was difficult to work with but had its moments. My coworkers were excellent a majority of the time, although other departments were always more pleasant when it came to constantly interacting. The hardest part would've been having to deal with the managers not helping you or giving you a direction in which to work in. I absolutely loved interacting with the customers and making friends with the revisiting patrons.
Pros
Learning about all departments in the typical store
Cons
The way management works
High-paced Customer Oriented work environment
Deli-Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMay 31, 2016
A typical day was going to work and completing daily orders and assisting customers to the best of your ability.

I learned time management in a high-paced work environment in regards to a set schedule and checklist which had to be completed everyday.

Management was relaxed and approachable in with issues.
My current job
Gas Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 31, 2016
My co-workers and helping customers is the most enjoyable part of my job.
I pump gas gas for customers, stock items in the gas bar, clean outside eg. pumps, car wash etc...

Management isn't the greatest, feel bullied and picked on at times.
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
Management - feel bullied at times
My favorite job while in school
Grocery Clerk /File Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 12, 2016
This place is the best place to work while being a full-time student. There is a ton of great opportunity here and the staff becomes like family. Most of my long-time friends started as grocery clerks with Coop.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Union
doing job at coop is fun ...
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 6, 2016
best customer service coworker are are great good environment management stick to there goals every one is quite skilled person
Pros
breaks long week end offs in alternative
Cons
wages and they cut too much
Fun place to work with good staff
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 17, 2016
Basic cash functions and store merchandising and maintenance. Some room for development and growth with different positions. Great management and open door policy within the company.
Engaging and cooperative environment
Deli Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 20, 2016
I had good relationships with my co-workers and we had worked well together. I provided customer service and also managed inventory. I had learned how to clean and maintain the department. The hardest part of this job was being able to sustain a balance between customer service and department upkeep. The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with co-workers and customers.
Pros
Great co-workers
Fun place
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 31, 2016
Co-op gas bar was a fun place to work, i got free hot chocolate when it was cold out. I always had fun meeting new people and chatting with them, overall its a fun place to work at.
Pros
Free Hot chocolate
Cons
Working outside
Nice Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, ABApril 11, 2016
Working at Calgary co-op was a great experience, they allow for advancement and give plenty of training, both in theory learning and on the job training.
Pros
friendly work environment and regular breaks and shifts
Cons
long hours on your feet.
Produce Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  High River, ABJanuary 13, 2016
day on the job was pretty basic, Mostly just stocking shelves and receiving stock.My manner was a really nice person he treated all his employees with dignity and respect. my co-workers worked really well with me, no problems when working with them at all. The hardest part of my job would have to be Christmas time, due to how busy it was. The most enjoyable part of my job was being with my co-workers and manger all the time.
Pros
fun work with customers
Cons
long days
work environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMay 27, 2016
The management does not have control over the supervisors who promote an environment of bullying, gossip and favoritism.
Pros
shift flexibility
Cons
inconsistant processes, lack of training
Used to be a great company
pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 12, 2015
Loved to work here in the beginning but the Company has deteriorated. Management appears to have not much knowledge of what is going on. Like the Emperor has No Clothes scenario. Everyone agrees and it doesn't get better.

There is no culture of employee recognition or appreciation. The focus appears to be on quashing initiative.

Coworkers were excellent and very caring.

I have since moved on to another company, in an identical position. I ask myself everyday why I stayed with Coop so long. The culture of this new employer in terms of employee appreciation and corporate culture is decades beyond Coop
Pros
Best produce and meat in the city
Cons
Management.
Fun and very productive
Deli Clerk Co-op (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2015
A typical day at work consists of doing customer service. It is the number 1 priority in the company. I learn how to merchandise and order supplies and products for the Deli each and everyday. I communicate with my co-workers very well. When a new employee has been hired it is my job at times to train them basic ideas on the job site.

I enjoy keeping the customers happy and satisfied.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
contract
Fun place to work with no advancement or hours.
Produce Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rundle, ABNovember 18, 2015
good benefits and pay if your a full time or part time employee.
The problem with coop is there cutting down on Full time and part time jobs and giving everyone casual hours with no benefits and its impossible to move up.
Pros
fun work enviroment
Cons
hours
Fun place to work
Grocery clerk and front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Really enjoyed working here.
Great first job to have, enjoyed the overall experience and learned a lot while I worked there.
A big boardroom, and lunch room
BAKER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 11, 2015
Fun place to work,managers where great, got 40hrs, good working conditions, a good enjoyable job while working along side colleagues, enjoyed going to work every day.
Pros
got the hours I needed
Cons
they were cutting back hours for some so lots of work during my hours
Great team to work with. Seriously awesome people. Not very flexible in scheduling, hours not the best in my department
Front End Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 23, 2015
I work the evening shift which was great for working while going to school. The culture is pretty awesome, but the best part of the job by far is talking to kids who come through the till (and other customers are sometimes entertaining).
Ok to work at in summer not a good winter job
Pump Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 28, 2015
had to work outside didn't mind it till -30
taradale coop
only like white skin and are usually less prioritized to anyone else
Pros
free pizza parties
Cons
outside work low pay for amount of work
Monterey Store Management/supervisors
cashier (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, ABNovember 3, 2015
The management team here is micromanaged. Always watching you. Always on your case for a small mistake. Not a friendly place to work at.
Pros
Can't think of any!
Cons
7 minute coffee breaks

Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Reviews by Job Title