Calgary Co-operative Association Limited

Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Employee Reviews

Decent Summer Job
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, Deerfoot Meadows7 February 2017
Pay is what you expect for filling up cars. If you're taking the job, make sure you dress for the weather, from 30+ in the summer to below freezing, you're outside in it all. Management is questionable, I wanted to work only after 9am in the summer as i wasn't an early riser, but i found myself taking earlier and earlier shifts because someone was sick, or didn't show, and i knew no one else would, so I stepped up. Eventually I was opening at 6am. The customers are lovely to chat with, you'll get a couple here and there who try and scam you, but if you keep your wits about you it's all in a days work.
Pros
very simple job, good experience
Cons
8 hours standing on concrete
Clean and organized work environment
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  High River, AB8 February 2017
Typically, a day at work had very busy times and very slow times. The job was not hard per say but it took a lot of concentration and problem solving at times.
The management was always very helpful and organized
The culture of the workplace was clean, fun but sometimes very stressful
The hardest part of the job was dealing with two of the employees. I tried for a long time to make things work with them and we could not see eye to eye on anything. eventually i worked it out with my boss that i would not have to work shifts with them as to avoid conflict
The best part of working for Calgary Co op was all the friends i made, both employees and customers, and everything was easy to find and use because the workplace was cleaned regularly and supplies were maintained
Pros
meal tickets if you worked over time, employee discounts
Cons
sometimes inconsistent hours
Attentive to school needs
Bakery, Deli, Grocery & Produce Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2017
I was able to work here and go to school because the company was understanding of my needs as a student. I have had a bad experience with one of the managers but I believe this allowed me to grow and learn how to stick up for myself.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
manager
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB14 October 2016
I quite enjoyed working for Co-op, it was a good learning experience that also allowed me to earn some money and meet new and lovely people. Everyone that worked there was really nice and even though things got a bit overwhelming sometimes, we always managed to do a good job.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
A lot of night shifts
Productive, fun work environment
Produce Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
I have learned more about produce and handling on product that I ever imagined I would.

The hardest part is when order comes in we separate, rotate, and code date every night.
fun workplace to work at, management not so great
Produce Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2017
working there got me working with a lot of customers and got me becoming great at customer service, as well as helped me expand my knowledge and experience
My current job
Gas Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2016
My co-workers and helping customers is the most enjoyable part of my job.
I pump gas gas for customers, stock items in the gas bar, clean outside eg. pumps, car wash etc...

Management isn't the greatest, feel bullied and picked on at times.
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
Management - feel bullied at times
Was very positive
Grocery Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2017
the only reason I had to quit was because when i was hired I had a lot going on with school. The hours were great and the managers were very accommodating
Calgary Co-op: Overall Review
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2016
A great place for a high school student to seek a first job. Calgary Co-op provides first time employees (and long term employees) with the necessary skills to move forward in the job market (either outside, or within the company). Essentially, Calgary Co-op is a steady and prosperous form of employment for those who wish to engage in greater interpersonal skills.
Pros
Fair and equitable allocation of hours
Cons
Long work terms for very little gain
Summer Job
Deli Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
It was a good place to work. Nothing exciting about the job. Very basic skills needed to complete task. Not challenging. Easy way to make some money P/T.
doing job at coop is fun ...
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2016
best customer service coworker are are great good environment management stick to there goals every one is quite skilled person
Pros
breaks long week end offs in alternative
Cons
wages and they cut too much
My favorite job while in school
Grocery Clerk /File Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2016
This place is the best place to work while being a full-time student. There is a ton of great opportunity here and the staff becomes like family. Most of my long-time friends started as grocery clerks with Coop.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Union
High-paced Customer Oriented work environment
Deli-Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB31 May 2016
A typical day was going to work and completing daily orders and assisting customers to the best of your ability.

I learned time management in a high-paced work environment in regards to a set schedule and checklist which had to be completed everyday.

Management was relaxed and approachable in with issues.
Fun place to work with good staff
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
Basic cash functions and store merchandising and maintenance. Some room for development and growth with different positions. Great management and open door policy within the company.
A workplace that is great when it is temporary.
Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  High River, AB28 April 2016
A typical day at Co-op is walking in, saying hellos, and seeing which products the floor needs to be fully stocked. It has taught me a lot about fresh produce, baked goods, and gasoline. The management was difficult to work with but had its moments. My coworkers were excellent a majority of the time, although other departments were always more pleasant when it came to constantly interacting. The hardest part would've been having to deal with the managers not helping you or giving you a direction in which to work in. I absolutely loved interacting with the customers and making friends with the revisiting patrons.
Pros
Learning about all departments in the typical store
Cons
The way management works
Amazing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2016
strongly recommend a job here. Flexible hours, great pay. Love the union. Make friends for life. Great place to start a career
Fun place
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 May 2016
Co-op gas bar was a fun place to work, i got free hot chocolate when it was cold out. I always had fun meeting new people and chatting with them, overall its a fun place to work at.
Pros
Free Hot chocolate
Cons
Working outside
Engaging and cooperative environment
Deli Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2016
I had good relationships with my co-workers and we had worked well together. I provided customer service and also managed inventory. I had learned how to clean and maintain the department. The hardest part of this job was being able to sustain a balance between customer service and department upkeep. The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with co-workers and customers.
Pros
Great co-workers
work environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB27 May 2016
The management does not have control over the supervisors who promote an environment of bullying, gossip and favoritism.
Pros
shift flexibility
Cons
inconsistant processes, lack of training
Nice Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB11 April 2016
Working at Calgary co-op was a great experience, they allow for advancement and give plenty of training, both in theory learning and on the job training.
Pros
friendly work environment and regular breaks and shifts
Cons
long hours on your feet.

Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Reviews by Job Title