Calgary Co-operative Association Limited

Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Employee Reviews

Amazing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2016
strongly recommend a job here. Flexible hours, great pay. Love the union. Make friends for life. Great place to start a career
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB14 October 2016
I quite enjoyed working for Co-op, it was a good learning experience that also allowed me to earn some money and meet new and lovely people. Everyone that worked there was really nice and even though things got a bit overwhelming sometimes, we always managed to do a good job.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
A lot of night shifts
doing job at coop is fun ...
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2016
best customer service coworker are are great good environment management stick to there goals every one is quite skilled person
Pros
breaks long week end offs in alternative
Cons
wages and they cut too much
My current job
Gas Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2016
My co-workers and helping customers is the most enjoyable part of my job.
I pump gas gas for customers, stock items in the gas bar, clean outside eg. pumps, car wash etc...

Management isn't the greatest, feel bullied and picked on at times.
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
Management - feel bullied at times
Fun place to work with good staff
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
Basic cash functions and store merchandising and maintenance. Some room for development and growth with different positions. Great management and open door policy within the company.
My favorite job while in school
Grocery Clerk /File Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2016
This place is the best place to work while being a full-time student. There is a ton of great opportunity here and the staff becomes like family. Most of my long-time friends started as grocery clerks with Coop.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Union
Calgary Co-op: Overall Review
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2016
A great place for a high school student to seek a first job. Calgary Co-op provides first time employees (and long term employees) with the necessary skills to move forward in the job market (either outside, or within the company). Essentially, Calgary Co-op is a steady and prosperous form of employment for those who wish to engage in greater interpersonal skills.
Pros
Fair and equitable allocation of hours
Cons
Long work terms for very little gain
Not the best, not the worst
Stockperson/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2016
I worked as a cashier and as a stockperson at two different locations. The work itself wasn't awful, definitely not something I'd want to do forever, but it wasn't bad. About half of the managers I worked with were totally awesome, good leaders, understanding, organized, and very friendly. Some were average, and a handful were just god awful, unorganized, unnecessarily controlling, and on one occasion just downright creepy. But that doesn't reflect the attitudes of the company, it seems to me like its either hard for them to get rid of people like that because of the union, or upper management doesn't quite understand how inefficient they are as leaders. I also had a few co workers that seemed to only make my job more difficult, people who had worked there longer than I did but still couldn't seem to remember (or care) where things go, despite multiple write-ups none of those people were ever let go, so there is a massive amount of job security, but its hard to even bother to try my best when people are getting paid more than me to either make more work for the rest of us, or barely do any work at all, and unfortunately I think a lot of people felt the same, many people seemed really unmotivated. And also the schedule was done in a way that morning and evening shifts were alternated, which did a great job of messing up my sleep schedule, and my life, but we did get every third weekend off, so that was good.
Pros
good benefits, mostly friendly management, lots of job security
Cons
lazy co workers, annoying schedule, impractical white uniforms
High-paced Customer Oriented work environment
Deli-Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB31 May 2016
A typical day was going to work and completing daily orders and assisting customers to the best of your ability.

I learned time management in a high-paced work environment in regards to a set schedule and checklist which had to be completed everyday.

Management was relaxed and approachable in with issues.
Fun place
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 May 2016
Co-op gas bar was a fun place to work, i got free hot chocolate when it was cold out. I always had fun meeting new people and chatting with them, overall its a fun place to work at.
Pros
Free Hot chocolate
Cons
Working outside
work environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB27 May 2016
The management does not have control over the supervisors who promote an environment of bullying, gossip and favoritism.
Pros
shift flexibility
Cons
inconsistant processes, lack of training
A workplace that is great when it is temporary.
Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  High River, AB28 April 2016
A typical day at Co-op is walking in, saying hellos, and seeing which products the floor needs to be fully stocked. It has taught me a lot about fresh produce, baked goods, and gasoline. The management was difficult to work with but had its moments. My coworkers were excellent a majority of the time, although other departments were always more pleasant when it came to constantly interacting. The hardest part would've been having to deal with the managers not helping you or giving you a direction in which to work in. I absolutely loved interacting with the customers and making friends with the revisiting patrons.
Pros
Learning about all departments in the typical store
Cons
The way management works
Nice Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, AB11 April 2016
Working at Calgary co-op was a great experience, they allow for advancement and give plenty of training, both in theory learning and on the job training.
Pros
friendly work environment and regular breaks and shifts
Cons
long hours on your feet.
Engaging and cooperative environment
Deli Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 February 2016
I had good relationships with my co-workers and we had worked well together. I provided customer service and also managed inventory. I had learned how to clean and maintain the department. The hardest part of this job was being able to sustain a balance between customer service and department upkeep. The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with co-workers and customers.
Pros
Great co-workers
Fun place to work
Grocery clerk and front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2016
Really enjoyed working here.
Great first job to have, enjoyed the overall experience and learned a lot while I worked there.
Produce Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  High River, AB13 January 2016
day on the job was pretty basic, Mostly just stocking shelves and receiving stock.My manner was a really nice person he treated all his employees with dignity and respect. my co-workers worked really well with me, no problems when working with them at all. The hardest part of my job would have to be Christmas time, due to how busy it was. The most enjoyable part of my job was being with my co-workers and manger all the time.
Pros
fun work with customers
Cons
long days
Used to be a great company
pharmacy (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 December 2015
Loved to work here in the beginning but the Company has deteriorated. Management appears to have not much knowledge of what is going on. Like the Emperor has No Clothes scenario. Everyone agrees and it doesn't get better.

There is no culture of employee recognition or appreciation. The focus appears to be on quashing initiative.

Coworkers were excellent and very caring.

I have since moved on to another company, in an identical position. I ask myself everyday why I stayed with Coop so long. The culture of this new employer in terms of employee appreciation and corporate culture is decades beyond Coop
Pros
Best produce and meat in the city
Cons
Management.
Fun and very productive
Deli Clerk Co-op (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 December 2015
A typical day at work consists of doing customer service. It is the number 1 priority in the company. I learn how to merchandise and order supplies and products for the Deli each and everyday. I communicate with my co-workers very well. When a new employee has been hired it is my job at times to train them basic ideas on the job site.

I enjoy keeping the customers happy and satisfied.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
contract
Ok to work at in summer not a good winter job
Pump Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 November 2015
had to work outside didn't mind it till -30
taradale coop
only like white skin and are usually less prioritized to anyone else
Pros
free pizza parties
Cons
outside work low pay for amount of work
Fun place to work with no advancement or hours.
Produce Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rundle, AB18 November 2015
good benefits and pay if your a full time or part time employee.
The problem with coop is there cutting down on Full time and part time jobs and giving everyone casual hours with no benefits and its impossible to move up.
Pros
fun work enviroment
Cons
hours

Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Reviews by Job Title