Calgary Co-operative Association Limited

Calgary Co-operative Association Limited Employee Reviews

n/a
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 May 2017
A good choices for summer job. Working environment is depend on weather.
Constantly deal with chemicals that may harm the skin.
Job benefit with dental care after three month
Pros
n/a
Cons
unsafe working environment
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2017
The people were helpful, always available if you have a question even from my home. The customers were nice.

When I received tips, I had to report it.
Cons
Have to report tips
Fun workplace but few hours and low wages
Bakery utility clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 April 2017
I've been at Co-op for over two years now, and I love most of my co-workers, I've made some great friends. A regular day at work is just going through the motions, answering customer questions (and more and more frequent complaints) My issue is that head office does not recognize just how much work has to be done (especially in the bakery) and they decide how many hours each department gets based on how much money said department makes. Now this is good in theory, but in practice it just doesn't work. Departments like the grocery department will make the most money, but have the least amount of work to do. Everyone's hours have been cut but yet the same amount of work is expected to be completed, and as a result we are always running behind. There is also the issue of wages, before minimum wage went up I had been making over the minimum, but once it went up to 12.20 I was making the same as everyone below me, its sad that after being a loyal employee for years and excelling at my job, I am worth the same to the company as a new person with no knowledge. The only way to get a raise is to work 1250 hours, and as a student this has not been possible for me. I would still have felt better if my skill over new employees was acknowledged, especially after assisting in the training of some of them.
Pros
Fun work environment, flexible hours
Cons
low wages, no overtime
Productive, fun, loved my job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 March 2017
It's all good! There isn't enough room here to tell you how I feel about the store and the customers; the promotions and products. Diverse. fast-paced.
Pros
Great customers, great music; love the products and promotions
loved the job
MEAT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2017
The job was fantastic til about the last 2 and half years when the company slashed hours and staffing. My my work load kept increasing to the point where I was putting 2 to 4 hours extra off the clock to keep up.

I take great pride in my job and could not leave before the tasks where complete.
Pros
good wages and benefits
Cons
Upper management not realizing what the conditions are like at store level
fun workplace to work at, management not so great
Produce Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2017
working there got me working with a lot of customers and got me becoming great at customer service, as well as helped me expand my knowledge and experience
Attentive to school needs
Bakery, Deli, Grocery & Produce Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2017
I was able to work here and go to school because the company was understanding of my needs as a student. I have had a bad experience with one of the managers but I believe this allowed me to grow and learn how to stick up for myself.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
manager
Clean and organized work environment
Customer Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  High River, AB8 February 2017
Typically, a day at work had very busy times and very slow times. The job was not hard per say but it took a lot of concentration and problem solving at times.
The management was always very helpful and organized
The culture of the workplace was clean, fun but sometimes very stressful
The hardest part of the job was dealing with two of the employees. I tried for a long time to make things work with them and we could not see eye to eye on anything. eventually i worked it out with my boss that i would not have to work shifts with them as to avoid conflict
The best part of working for Calgary Co op was all the friends i made, both employees and customers, and everything was easy to find and use because the workplace was cleaned regularly and supplies were maintained
Pros
meal tickets if you worked over time, employee discounts
Cons
sometimes inconsistent hours
Decent Summer Job
Gas Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, Deerfoot Meadows7 February 2017
Pay is what you expect for filling up cars. If you're taking the job, make sure you dress for the weather, from 30+ in the summer to below freezing, you're outside in it all. Management is questionable, I wanted to work only after 9am in the summer as i wasn't an early riser, but i found myself taking earlier and earlier shifts because someone was sick, or didn't show, and i knew no one else would, so I stepped up. Eventually I was opening at 6am. The customers are lovely to chat with, you'll get a couple here and there who try and scam you, but if you keep your wits about you it's all in a days work.
Pros
very simple job, good experience
Cons
8 hours standing on concrete
Productive, fun work environment
Produce Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
I have learned more about produce and handling on product that I ever imagined I would.

The hardest part is when order comes in we separate, rotate, and code date every night.
Was very positive
Grocery Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 February 2017
the only reason I had to quit was because when i was hired I had a lot going on with school. The hours were great and the managers were very accommodating
Summer Job
Deli Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 January 2017
It was a good place to work. Nothing exciting about the job. Very basic skills needed to complete task. Not challenging. Easy way to make some money P/T.
Amazing
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2016
strongly recommend a job here. Flexible hours, great pay. Love the union. Make friends for life. Great place to start a career
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB14 October 2016
I quite enjoyed working for Co-op, it was a good learning experience that also allowed me to earn some money and meet new and lovely people. Everyone that worked there was really nice and even though things got a bit overwhelming sometimes, we always managed to do a good job.
Pros
Friendly co-workers
Cons
A lot of night shifts
doing job at coop is fun ...
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 September 2016
best customer service coworker are are great good environment management stick to there goals every one is quite skilled person
Pros
breaks long week end offs in alternative
Cons
wages and they cut too much
My current job
Gas Bar Attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2016
My co-workers and helping customers is the most enjoyable part of my job.
I pump gas gas for customers, stock items in the gas bar, clean outside eg. pumps, car wash etc...

Management isn't the greatest, feel bullied and picked on at times.
Pros
My co-workers
Cons
Management - feel bullied at times
Fun place to work with good staff
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 August 2016
Basic cash functions and store merchandising and maintenance. Some room for development and growth with different positions. Great management and open door policy within the company.
My favorite job while in school
Grocery Clerk /File Maintenance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 July 2016
This place is the best place to work while being a full-time student. There is a ton of great opportunity here and the staff becomes like family. Most of my long-time friends started as grocery clerks with Coop.
Pros
Flexible shifts
Cons
Union
Calgary Co-op: Overall Review
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 June 2016
A great place for a high school student to seek a first job. Calgary Co-op provides first time employees (and long term employees) with the necessary skills to move forward in the job market (either outside, or within the company). Essentially, Calgary Co-op is a steady and prosperous form of employment for those who wish to engage in greater interpersonal skills.
Pros
Fair and equitable allocation of hours
Cons
Long work terms for very little gain
Not the best, not the worst
Stockperson/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2016
I worked as a cashier and as a stockperson at two different locations. The work itself wasn't awful, definitely not something I'd want to do forever, but it wasn't bad. About half of the managers I worked with were totally awesome, good leaders, understanding, organized, and very friendly. Some were average, and a handful were just god awful, unorganized, unnecessarily controlling, and on one occasion just downright creepy. But that doesn't reflect the attitudes of the company, it seems to me like its either hard for them to get rid of people like that because of the union, or upper management doesn't quite understand how inefficient they are as leaders. I also had a few co workers that seemed to only make my job more difficult, people who had worked there longer than I did but still couldn't seem to remember (or care) where things go, despite multiple write-ups none of those people were ever let go, so there is a massive amount of job security, but its hard to even bother to try my best when people are getting paid more than me to either make more work for the rest of us, or barely do any work at all, and unfortunately I think a lot of people felt the same, many people seemed really unmotivated. And also the schedule was done in a way that morning and evening shifts were alternated, which did a great job of messing up my sleep schedule, and my life, but we did get every third weekend off, so that was good.
Pros
good benefits, mostly friendly management, lots of job security
Cons
lazy co workers, annoying schedule, impractical white uniforms

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Co-operative Association Limited. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval