Calgary Co-op

Calgary Co-op Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great co-workers, not so great work/life balance
Gas Bar Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 29, 2015
Pros: Job Security, lots of hours (generally)
Cons: Lots of hours, heavy shift rotation
Calgary Coop was my first real employer. I loved the support and security I felt with my managers and co-workers. As time went on, I had more and more problems with this job. When I transferred from the High River store to the Shawnessy gas bar, I was scheduled for 30 hours a week on top of High School. After High School, the shift rotation was almost unbearable, and a life outside of work was unheard of. If you are willing to live for this company, then go for it! They are great. Just not for me.
Social and productive place
Cashier, Backup-Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 12, 2015
Pros: Great Location
Cons: Not much for career advancement
I really enjoyed Calgary Co-op at the Dalhousie site because of the social and engaging people and fun co-workers. The environment and atmosphere was really great and cultivated a lot of friendships, which made the job more fun absolutely. The management and job opportunities were the most difficult part but the policies and practices made it easy to learn and get more certifications and programs complete.
Hard working fun!
Intermediate Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 11, 2015
Describe and sell travel destinations, products and services to clients
Prepare quotes for clients following requests and providing recommendations
Access information about costs, routes and schedules from computerised reservation systems and the Internet
Make reservations using telephone, fax, computerised systems and the Internet
Issue required documentation such as electronic tickets, travel – more... insurance policies and itineraries
Calculate and prepare invoices, accept payment from customers and pay suppliers using Global-Matrix accounting system
Great computer skills; experienced with Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word etc.)
Deal with all types of people patiently and pleasantly
Handle stressful situations calmly and effectively.
Created and organized many marketing projects
Excellent organization skills, attention for detail, great memory – less
Good first job
Produce Service Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMay 20, 2015
Pros: Co-op membership
Cons: on your feet the entire shift
Fairly easy work. You just do the same stuff everyday so its not difficult at all. Pay is accurate for what you are accountable for.
Productive, good work environment with nice co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee), Village SquareMay 8, 2015
Pros: Good overtime opportunities
Cons: Difficult to get time off
Co-op was a good place to work that could be very busy at times. I learned how to properly stock and count items the store sold, including cigarettes, food products, and miscellaneous products, as well as how to run a lottery machine and how to clean and use many of the coffee and other drink machines in the store. The management was good, and the co-workers were very friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep items stocked and the line short at peak hours of gas, as well as keeping an eye out for drive offs and sometimes helping the pumpers. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining experience as a cashier and helping to keep things running smoothly.
I have enjoyed my job at Calgary Co-op and learned from all the difficulties I encountered.
Bakery Cake Decorator (Current Employee), Calgary ABFebruary 16, 2015
Working in the coop bakery requires early mornings and the ability to well organize my days. I love making cakes and desserts that sell well, it has been lots of fun exploring that creative side of me. The toughest part is figuring out how to please the customers. Each person comes with their own challenge that I have had to learn to think on my feet to ensure customer satisfaction.
I felt exploited there
Special Placement\Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary AlbertaJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: working with people
Cons: being treated equally and being recognise as people with a disability
In 2005, I did work experience to gain high school credit. I wasn't getting paid wage, but only credit to graduate. I finished my work experience there. I few months later I applied. After I applied to work at Co-op and got the job, as a courtesy clerk, they decided to place me in a special placement position. It would acquire that I got paid less then any other employee working as a courtesy clerk, – more... even though my job required the same responsibility. It had to do with the fact that I had a learning disability. It made me feel very uncomfortable and discriminated working at Co-op. I felt that I wasn't recognised as an employee, and I wasn't being treated equally like any other employee. Now I work at Home Depot now, I look back at how much better and equally I am treated at Home Depot, then I was working at Calgary Co-op. And the fact I was able to be very open about my disability. – less
Best job I've ever had, was at Calgary Co-op.
Produce Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 29, 2014
Pros: the people.
Cons: the politics.
Please see other review, which was of Calgary Co-op. Thank you.
You always learned something new in the year on your products.
Manager (Former Employee), Beddington and HamptonsOctober 6, 2014
Pros: lots of product knowledge seminars
Cons: long hours
I would go in first thing in the morning and do opening procedures. Handle deposit from night before. Handle in coming emails from other stores and head office. Deal with the reps from companies, that we carried product for. Build displays to merchandise.Helped customers with product choices. Ordered product in for our store from Connect, Brewers Distributors, Big Rock and Sleemans. Did store schedules for staff. Handled employee's complaints through our human resource department and our upper management. The hardest part of the job was the possiblity of armed robbery while the most enjoyable part being able to help customers with their product choice.
There is a reason they are always hiring...
Customer Service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: its warm in there atleast...
Cons: long hours, repetative work, i was paid belowe minimum wage, expected to work when so sick you need hospitalization, reselling bad meat
Kept us at minimum wage for a month after minimum wage rose, and never caught up.

They had sent out bad meat and had people return it. They put a safe cooking sticker on it and put it back on the shelf. (Even the ones sitting in the trunks for hours.)

One time I had pneumonia and at that stage it stops being contagious. They said if its not contagious I should be in working. (I was the bagger at this time)
Good for students
Gas Pump Attendant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 31, 2014
Pros: cheap coffee, flexible scheduling.
Cons: monotony, lack of fulfillment.
Calgary Co-op is the perfect place for a university student to work. They are flexible with schedules, allowing a person to dedicate a proper amount of time for to school, while allowing them to make an income. The culture at the job is made up by the people, and while you won't get along with everyone, Co-op employees are generally very social and friendly. The most difficult part of the job is the monotony of it; daily tasks are the same and very rarely stimulating, making the hardest part of working at Co-op feeling fulfilled in your work.
good.
Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2014
it's a great place to work, people are friendly and it's a relaxed environment.
eh
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), airdrie,albertaJuly 8, 2014
hardest part of job was putting up with the the manager he was just so quiet and watched you while you worked
Productive workplace
Front end service clerk (Former Employee), calgaryMay 13, 2014
Even though it was an entry level job it was frustrating to have so little hours. I was hoping work would be more regular.
Pumped Gas
Gas Station Supervisor (Former Employee), calgary, abJanuary 21, 2014
Supervised staff. Learned a lot. Learned how to do payroll.
Exciting place to work
Produce Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: smile rewards
Cons: occasionally super busy
Working at the busiest stores in calgary, store number one, is fun most often. I learnt much about time management and customer satisfaction. Managers are great a fun to work with, driven and passionate about their work. Co workers come from all over the world of different age groups and back grounds. The hardest part of the job is during extremely busy days when many items on shelves need filling almost immediately.I like this job very much, keeps me fit and i get the chance to socialize with people from different countries.
No organization, high stress job that requires you to tolerate the intolerable.
gas bar attendant (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 13, 2013
Cons: long hours, low pay, degrading work, stressful
I job I feel trapped in due to the low pay and no skills gained. I'm constantly under stress and it is near impossible to balance with student life. Avoid this position if you can.
Fun work environment
Full Serve Attendant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABAugust 10, 2013
You learn a pretty decent amount about vehicles if you don't know much about them, management is always good and fair.
Good workplace
Grocery Utility Clerk (Current Employee), Creekside, NWJune 28, 2013
Pros: looks after employees
Cons: a dead end job
It's a paycheck. Good people, safe workplace, great management, an occasional very busy day, helping customers is the best.
Quality company
File Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee), Calgary, ABJune 17, 2013
Pros: flexable hours
Cons: weekend work
Great opportunities available for advancement.
Good company values.