Calgary Co-op Employee Reviews in Canada

Calgary Co-op: Overall Review
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 15, 2016
A great place for a high school student to seek a first job. Calgary Co-op provides first time employees (and long term employees) with the necessary skills to move forward in the job market (either outside, or within the company). Essentially, Calgary Co-op is a steady and prosperous form of employment for those who wish to engage in greater interpersonal skills.
Pros
Fair and equitable allocation of hours
Cons
Long work terms for very little gain
Not the best, not the worst
Stockperson/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 8, 2016
I worked as a cashier and as a stockperson at two different locations. The work itself wasn't awful, definitely not something I'd want to do forever, but it wasn't bad. About half of the managers I worked with were totally awesome, good leaders, understanding, organized, and very friendly. Some were average, and a handful were just god awful, unorganized, unnecessarily controlling, and on one occasion just downright creepy. But that doesn't reflect the attitudes of the company, it seems to me like its either hard for them to get rid of people like that because of the union, or upper management doesn't quite understand how inefficient they are as leaders. I also had a few co workers that seemed to only make my job more difficult, people who had worked there longer than I did but still couldn't seem to remember (or care) where things go, despite multiple write-ups none of those people were ever let go, so there is a massive amount of job security, but its hard to even bother to try my best when people are getting paid more than me to either make more work for the rest of us, or barely do any work at all, and unfortunately I think a lot of people felt the same, many people seemed really unmotivated. And also the schedule was done in a way that morning and evening shifts were alternated, which did a great job of messing up my sleep schedule, and my life, but we did get every third weekend off, so that was good.
Pros
good benefits, mostly friendly management, lots of job security
Cons
lazy co workers, annoying schedule, impractical white uniforms
High-paced Customer Oriented work environment
Deli-Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMay 31, 2016
A typical day was going to work and completing daily orders and assisting customers to the best of your ability.

I learned time management in a high-paced work environment in regards to a set schedule and checklist which had to be completed everyday.

Management was relaxed and approachable in with issues.
Fun place
Gas Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 31, 2016
Co-op gas bar was a fun place to work, i got free hot chocolate when it was cold out. I always had fun meeting new people and chatting with them, overall its a fun place to work at.
Pros
Free Hot chocolate
Cons
Working outside
work environment
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, ABMay 27, 2016
The management does not have control over the supervisors who promote an environment of bullying, gossip and favoritism.
Pros
shift flexibility
Cons
inconsistant processes, lack of training
A workplace that is great when it is temporary.
Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  High River, ABApril 28, 2016
A typical day at Co-op is walking in, saying hellos, and seeing which products the floor needs to be fully stocked. It has taught me a lot about fresh produce, baked goods, and gasoline. The management was difficult to work with but had its moments. My coworkers were excellent a majority of the time, although other departments were always more pleasant when it came to constantly interacting. The hardest part would've been having to deal with the managers not helping you or giving you a direction in which to work in. I absolutely loved interacting with the customers and making friends with the revisiting patrons.
Pros
Learning about all departments in the typical store
Cons
The way management works
Nice Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Strathmore, ABApril 11, 2016
Working at Calgary co-op was a great experience, they allow for advancement and give plenty of training, both in theory learning and on the job training.
Pros
friendly work environment and regular breaks and shifts
Cons
long hours on your feet.
Engaging and cooperative environment
Deli Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 20, 2016
I had good relationships with my co-workers and we had worked well together. I provided customer service and also managed inventory. I had learned how to clean and maintain the department. The hardest part of this job was being able to sustain a balance between customer service and department upkeep. The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with co-workers and customers.
Pros
Great co-workers
Fun place to work
Grocery clerk and front end cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Really enjoyed working here.
Great first job to have, enjoyed the overall experience and learned a lot while I worked there.
Fun and very productive
Deli Clerk Co-op (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2015
A typical day at work consists of doing customer service. It is the number 1 priority in the company. I learn how to merchandise and order supplies and products for the Deli each and everyday. I communicate with my co-workers very well. When a new employee has been hired it is my job at times to train them basic ideas on the job site.

I enjoy keeping the customers happy and satisfied.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
contract
Ok to work at in summer not a good winter job
Pump Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 28, 2015
had to work outside didn't mind it till -30
taradale coop
only like white skin and are usually less prioritized to anyone else
Pros
free pizza parties
Cons
outside work low pay for amount of work
Fun place to work with no advancement or hours.
Produce Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Rundle, ABNovember 18, 2015
good benefits and pay if your a full time or part time employee.
The problem with coop is there cutting down on Full time and part time jobs and giving everyone casual hours with no benefits and its impossible to move up.
Pros
fun work enviroment
Cons
hours
A big boardroom, and lunch room
BAKER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 11, 2015
Fun place to work,managers where great, got 40hrs, good working conditions, a good enjoyable job while working along side colleagues, enjoyed going to work every day.
Pros
got the hours I needed
Cons
they were cutting back hours for some so lots of work during my hours
Monterey Store Management/supervisors
cashier (Current Employee) –  Monterey Park, ABNovember 3, 2015
The management team here is micromanaged. Always watching you. Always on your case for a small mistake. Not a friendly place to work at.
Pros
Can't think of any!
Cons
7 minute coffee breaks
Great team to work with. Seriously awesome people. Not very flexible in scheduling, hours not the best in my department
Front End Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 23, 2015
I work the evening shift which was great for working while going to school. The culture is pretty awesome, but the best part of the job by far is talking to kids who come through the till (and other customers are sometimes entertaining).
fast paced and hard work
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee) –  calgarySeptember 17, 2015
Co-op is a great company to work for. Good wages and a fair management team .Be prepared to work hard, it's fast paced and heavy work
nothihng to say
Front -end Cashier (Current Employee) –  calgarySeptember 15, 2015
it is different for everyone not always easy to deal with management

nor with people, it is hard sometime with customers and the supervisors are not always easy to deal with

But it is different for everyone
Pros
gain expereince
Cons
no oppertunity to move
Great co-workers, not so great work/life balance
Gas Bar Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2015
Calgary Coop was my first real employer. I loved the support and security I felt with my managers and co-workers. As time went on, I had more and more problems with this job. When I transferred from the High River store to the Shawnessy gas bar, I was scheduled for 30 hours a week on top of High School. After High School, the shift rotation was almost unbearable, and a life outside of work was unheard of. If you are willing to live for this company, then go for it! They are great. Just not for me.
Pros
Job Security, lots of hours (generally)
Cons
Lots of hours, heavy shift rotation
Social and productive place
Cashier, Backup-Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 12, 2015
I really enjoyed Calgary Co-op at the Dalhousie site because of the social and engaging people and fun co-workers. The environment and atmosphere was really great and cultivated a lot of friendships, which made the job more fun absolutely. The management and job opportunities were the most difficult part but the policies and practices made it easy to learn and get more certifications and programs complete.
Pros
Great Location
Cons
Not much for career advancement
Hard working fun!
Intermediate Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 11, 2015
Describe and sell travel destinations, products and services to clients
Prepare quotes for clients following requests and providing recommendations
Access information about costs, routes and schedules from computerised reservation systems and the Internet
Make reservations using telephone, fax, computerised systems and the Internet
Issue required documentation such as electronic tickets, travel insurance policies and itineraries
Calculate and prepare invoices, accept payment from customers and pay suppliers using Global-Matrix accounting system
Great computer skills; experienced with Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word etc.)
Deal with all types of people patiently and pleasantly
Handle stressful situations calmly and effectively.
Created and organized many marketing projects
Excellent organization skills, attention for detail, great memory