Calgary Co-op Employee Reviews

I felt exploited there
Special Placement\Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary AlbertaJanuary 26, 2015
In 2005, I did work experience to gain high school credit. I wasn't getting paid wage, but only credit to graduate. I finished my work experience there. I few months later I applied. After I applied to work at Co-op and got the job, as a courtesy clerk, they decided to place me in a special placement position. It would acquire that I got paid less then any other employee working as a courtesy clerk, even though my job required the same responsibility. It had to do with the fact that I had a learning disability. It made me feel very uncomfortable and discriminated working at Co-op. I felt that I wasn't recognised as an employee, and I wasn't being treated equally like any other employee. Now I work at Home Depot now, I look back at how much better and equally I am treated at Home Depot, then I was working at Calgary Co-op. And the fact I was able to be very open about my disability.
Pros
working with people
Cons
being treated equally and being recognise as people with a disability
Hard working fun!
Intermediate Travel Consultant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 11, 2015
Describe and sell travel destinations, products and services to clients
Prepare quotes for clients following requests and providing recommendations
Access information about costs, routes and schedules from computerised reservation systems and the Internet
Make reservations using telephone, fax, computerised systems and the Internet
Issue required documentation such as electronic tickets, travel insurance policies and itineraries
Calculate and prepare invoices, accept payment from customers and pay suppliers using Global-Matrix accounting system
Great computer skills; experienced with Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word etc.)
Deal with all types of people patiently and pleasantly
Handle stressful situations calmly and effectively.
Created and organized many marketing projects
Excellent organization skills, attention for detail, great memory
You always learned something new in the year on your products.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Beddington and HamptonsOctober 6, 2014
I would go in first thing in the morning and do opening procedures. Handle deposit from night before. Handle in coming emails from other stores and head office. Deal with the reps from companies, that we carried product for. Build displays to merchandise.Helped customers with product choices. Ordered product in for our store from Connect, Brewers Distributors, Big Rock and Sleemans. Did store schedules for staff. Handled employee's complaints through our human resource department and our upper management. The hardest part of the job was the possiblity of armed robbery while the most enjoyable part being able to help customers with their product choice.
Pros
lots of product knowledge seminars
Cons
Productive, good work environment with nice co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Village SquareMay 8, 2015
Co-op was a good place to work that could be very busy at times. I learned how to properly stock and count items the store sold, including cigarettes, food products, and miscellaneous products, as well as how to run a lottery machine and how to clean and use many of the coffee and other drink machines in the store. The management was good, and the co-workers were very friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep items stocked and the line short at peak hours of gas, as well as keeping an eye out for drive offs and sometimes helping the pumpers. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining experience as a cashier and helping to keep things running smoothly.
Pros
Good overtime opportunities
Cons
Difficult to get time off
Exciting place to work
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 17, 2014
Working at the busiest stores in calgary, store number one, is fun most often. I learnt much about time management and customer satisfaction. Managers are great a fun to work with, driven and passionate about their work. Co workers come from all over the world of different age groups and back grounds. The hardest part of the job is during extremely busy days when many items on shelves need filling almost immediately.I like this job very much, keeps me fit and i get the chance to socialize with people from different countries.
Pros
smile rewards
Cons
occasionally super busy
There is a reason they are always hiring...
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2014
Kept us at minimum wage for a month after minimum wage rose, and never caught up.

They had sent out bad meat and had people return it. They put a safe cooking sticker on it and put it back on the shelf. (Even the ones sitting in the trunks for hours.)

One time I had pneumonia and at that stage it stops being contagious. They said if its not contagious I should be in working. (I was the bagger at this time)
Pros
its warm in there atleast...
Cons
long hours, repetative work, i was paid belowe minimum wage, expected to work when so sick you need hospitalization, reselling bad meat
Good for students
Gas Pump Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 31, 2014
Calgary Co-op is the perfect place for a university student to work. They are flexible with schedules, allowing a person to dedicate a proper amount of time for to school, while allowing them to make an income. The culture at the job is made up by the people, and while you won't get along with everyone, Co-op employees are generally very social and friendly. The most difficult part of the job is the monotony of it; daily tasks are the same and very rarely stimulating, making the hardest part of working at Co-op feeling fulfilled in your work.
Pros
cheap coffee, flexible scheduling.
Cons
monotony, lack of fulfillment.
Great co-workers, not so great work/life balance
Gas Bar Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 29, 2015
Calgary Coop was my first real employer. I loved the support and security I felt with my managers and co-workers. As time went on, I had more and more problems with this job. When I transferred from the High River store to the Shawnessy gas bar, I was scheduled for 30 hours a week on top of High School. After High School, the shift rotation was almost unbearable, and a life outside of work was unheard of. If you are willing to live for this company, then go for it! They are great. Just not for me.
Pros
Job Security, lots of hours (generally)
Cons
Lots of hours, heavy shift rotation
calgary co-op airdrie location
service clerk (Former Employee) –  airdrie albertaFebruary 24, 2012
amazing place to work i personally loved it every second i was there, always something to do so you are never just standing around, really funny and upbeat people to work with and be around all day, they care about the community only down fall is the fluctuation of hours
Pros
upbeat people around you, health benefits, always busy, room for advancement in departments
Cons
fluctuating hours, can get alot of hours one week and none the next, get a bit overwhelming some of the time
I have enjoyed my job at Calgary Co-op and learned from all the difficulties I encountered.
Bakery Cake Decorator (Current Employee) –  Calgary ABFebruary 16, 2015
Working in the coop bakery requires early mornings and the ability to well organize my days. I love making cakes and desserts that sell well, it has been lots of fun exploring that creative side of me. The toughest part is figuring out how to please the customers. Each person comes with their own challenge that I have had to learn to think on my feet to ensure customer satisfaction.
Fun workplace
Cashier Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 8, 2013
-Typical day at work was assisting customers (providing customer service) and balance monies at the end of each day.
-I learned to become a better people person, and also the important ways of how money is handled daily.
-Management and co-workers were the best part of the job, everyone got along well and made it a better workplace.
-Hardest part of the job is when you have unhappy customers- need to learn to deal with it in the best way.
-Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendliness and fun interaction we have with co-workers and also customers.
Awesome place to work! Wonderful employees and management!
grocery clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 1, 2013
I really enjoyed working here and often wish I could go back had I not moved away. I stocked shelves during the early morning hours up to noon. There was strong teamwork and team incentives and everyone was welcoming and friendly. I had many opportunities to explore other areas of the store as well including file maintenance. The hardest part of the job was adjusting to such an extreme schedule.
Pros
afternoons free, friendly employees, team incentives
Cons
very early shifts
Fun and very productive
Deli Clerk Co-op (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2015
A typical day at work consists of doing customer service. It is the number 1 priority in the company. I learn how to merchandise and order supplies and products for the Deli each and everyday. I communicate with my co-workers very well. When a new employee has been hired it is my job at times to train them basic ideas on the job site.

I enjoy keeping the customers happy and satisfied.
Pros
Benifits
Cons
contract
Social and productive place
Cashier, Backup-Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 12, 2015
I really enjoyed Calgary Co-op at the Dalhousie site because of the social and engaging people and fun co-workers. The environment and atmosphere was really great and cultivated a lot of friendships, which made the job more fun absolutely. The management and job opportunities were the most difficult part but the policies and practices made it easy to learn and get more certifications and programs complete.
Pros
Great Location
Cons
Not much for career advancement
Great people, physically taxing.
Front End Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 14, 2013
Customer-focused work, growing the ability to talk with new people on the fly. Managers are smart and easily accessible when they're needed. When co-workers fail to get along there is a fairly comfortable mutual avoidance, but most are friendly and social. Work is surprisingly physical, you're on your feet for your entire shift.
Pros
free munchies, cheap groceries.
Cons
constantly standing.
Review
Produce Utility Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 30, 2012
It has been a very fulfilling work environment. I work with skilled and knowledgeable management and staff.The typical day at Co-op is filled with many challenges and a very fast paced environment. There are many challenges every and all day ,it forces you to be on your toes every day.The day to day challenges are frustrating and fulfilling every day. I am thankful for the experiences at co-op.
Pros
the great work enviroment and friendly peaple
Cons
the retail hours can be demanding.
Great team to work with. Seriously awesome people. Not very flexible in scheduling, hours not the best in my department
Front End Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 23, 2015
I work the evening shift which was great for working while going to school. The culture is pretty awesome, but the best part of the job by far is talking to kids who come through the till (and other customers are sometimes entertaining).
I have enjoyed working for Calgary Co-op for 19+ years.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2013
I have always enjoyed new challenges, interesting new marketing and merchandising strategies over the years, and have found setting up new casms and displays to be most enjoyable. Calgary Co-op is a good company to work for.
Pros
job security, benefits even for part-time workers
Cons
working varied shifts as opposed to regular shifts.
No organization, high stress job that requires you to tolerate the intolerable.
gas bar attendant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 13, 2013
I job I feel trapped in due to the low pay and no skills gained. I'm constantly under stress and it is near impossible to balance with student life. Avoid this position if you can.
Cons
long hours, low pay, degrading work, stressful
A big boardroom, and lunch room
BAKER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 11, 2015
Fun place to work,managers where great, got 40hrs, good working conditions, a good enjoyable job while working along side colleagues, enjoyed going to work every day.
Pros
got the hours I needed
Cons
they were cutting back hours for some so lots of work during my hours