Calgary Co-op Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Fun and very productive
Deli Clerk Co-op (Current Employee), Calgary, ABDecember 3, 2015
Pros: Benifits
Cons: contract
A typical day at work consists of doing customer service. It is the number 1 priority in the company. I learn how to merchandise and order supplies and products for the Deli each and everyday. I communicate with my co-workers very well. When a new employee has been hired it is my job at times to train them basic ideas on the job site.

I enjoy keeping the customers happy and satisfied.
Fun place to work with no advancement or hours.
Produce Utility Clerk (Former Employee), Rundle, ABNovember 18, 2015
Pros: fun work enviroment
Cons: hours
good benefits and pay if your a full time or part time employee.
The problem with coop is there cutting down on Full time and part time jobs and giving everyone casual hours with no benefits and its impossible to move up.
Engaging and cooperative environment
Deli Utility Clerk (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 20, 2016
Pros: Great co-workers
Cons: Long hours
I had good relationships with my co-workers and we had worked well together. I provided customer service and also managed inventory. I had learned how to clean and maintain the department. The hardest part of this job was being able to sustain a balance between customer service and department upkeep. The most enjoyable part of this job was interacting with co-workers and customers.
A workplace that is great when it is temporary.
Utility Clerk (Current Employee), High River, ABApril 28, 2016
Pros: Learning about all departments in the typical store
Cons: The way management works
A typical day at Co-op is walking in, saying hellos, and seeing which products the floor needs to be fully stocked. It has taught me a lot about fresh produce, baked goods, and gasoline. The management was difficult to work with but had its moments. My coworkers were excellent a majority of the time, although other departments were always more pleasant when it came to constantly interacting. The hardest part would've been having to deal with the managers not helping you or giving you a direction in which to work in. I absolutely loved interacting with the customers and making friends with the revisiting patrons.
Nice Place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Strathmore, ABApril 11, 2016
Pros: friendly work environment and regular breaks and shifts
Cons: long hours on your feet.
Working at Calgary co-op was a great experience, they allow for advancement and give plenty of training, both in theory learning and on the job training.
fast paced and hard work
Supervisor/Cashier (Former Employee), calgarySeptember 17, 2015
Co-op is a great company to work for. Good wages and a fair management team .Be prepared to work hard, it's fast paced and heavy work
Fun place to work
Grocery clerk and front end cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Really enjoyed working here.
Great first job to have, enjoyed the overall experience and learned a lot while I worked there.
Social and productive place
Cashier, Backup-Supervisor (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 12, 2015
Pros: Great Location
Cons: Not much for career advancement
I really enjoyed Calgary Co-op at the Dalhousie site because of the social and engaging people and fun co-workers. The environment and atmosphere was really great and cultivated a lot of friendships, which made the job more fun absolutely. The management and job opportunities were the most difficult part but the policies and practices made it easy to learn and get more certifications and programs complete.
Monterey Store Management/supervisors
cashier (Current Employee), Monterey Park, ABNovember 3, 2015
Pros: Can't think of any!
Cons: 7 minute coffee breaks
The management team here is micromanaged. Always watching you. Always on your case for a small mistake. Not a friendly place to work at.
Great team to work with. Seriously awesome people. Not very flexible in scheduling, hours not the best in my department
Front End Service Clerk (Current Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 23, 2015
I work the evening shift which was great for working while going to school. The culture is pretty awesome, but the best part of the job by far is talking to kids who come through the till (and other customers are sometimes entertaining).
Great co-workers, not so great work/life balance
Gas Bar Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 29, 2015
Pros: Job Security, lots of hours (generally)
Cons: Lots of hours, heavy shift rotation
Calgary Coop was my first real employer. I loved the support and security I felt with my managers and co-workers. As time went on, I had more and more problems with this job. When I transferred from the High River store to the Shawnessy gas bar, I was scheduled for 30 hours a week on top of High School. After High School, the shift rotation was almost unbearable, and a life outside of work was unheard of. If you are willing to live for this company, then go for it! They are great. Just not for me.
Ok to work at in summer not a good winter job
Pump Attendant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 28, 2015
Pros: free pizza parties
Cons: outside work low pay for amount of work
had to work outside didn't mind it till -30
taradale coop
only like white skin and are usually less prioritized to anyone else
A big boardroom, and lunch room
BAKER (Current Employee), Calgary, ABNovember 11, 2015
Pros: got the hours I needed
Cons: they were cutting back hours for some so lots of work during my hours
Fun place to work,managers where great, got 40hrs, good working conditions, a good enjoyable job while working along side colleagues, enjoyed going to work every day.
nothihng to say
Front -end Cashier (Current Employee), calgarySeptember 15, 2015
Pros: gain expereince
Cons: no oppertunity to move
it is different for everyone not always easy to deal with management

nor with people, it is hard sometime with customers and the supervisors are not always easy to deal with

But it is different for everyone
calgary co-op airdrie location
service clerk (Former Employee), airdrie albertaFebruary 24, 2012
Pros: upbeat people around you, health benefits, always busy, room for advancement in departments
Cons: fluctuating hours, can get alot of hours one week and none the next, get a bit overwhelming some of the time
amazing place to work i personally loved it every second i was there, always something to do so you are never just standing around, really funny and upbeat people to work with and be around all day, they care about the community only down fall is the fluctuation of hours
Productive, good work environment with nice co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee), Village SquareMay 8, 2015
Pros: Good overtime opportunities
Cons: Difficult to get time off
Co-op was a good place to work that could be very busy at times. I learned how to properly stock and count items the store sold, including cigarettes, food products, and miscellaneous products, as well as how to run a lottery machine and how to clean and use many of the coffee and other drink machines in the store. The management was good, and the co-workers were very friendly and supportive. The hardest part of the job was trying to keep items stocked and the line short at peak hours of gas, as well as keeping an eye out for drive offs and sometimes helping the pumpers. The most enjoyable part of the job was gaining experience as a cashier and helping to keep things running smoothly.
Hard working fun!
Intermediate Travel Consultant (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 11, 2015
Describe and sell travel destinations, products and services to clients
Prepare quotes for clients following requests and providing recommendations
Access information about costs, routes and schedules from computerised reservation systems and the Internet
Make reservations using telephone, fax, computerised systems and the Internet
Issue required documentation such as electronic tickets, travel insurance policies and itineraries
Calculate and prepare invoices, accept payment from customers and pay suppliers using Global-Matrix accounting system
Great computer skills; experienced with Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Word etc.)
Deal with all types of people patiently and pleasantly
Handle stressful situations calmly and effectively.
Created and organized many marketing projects
Excellent organization skills, attention for detail, great memory
I have enjoyed working for Calgary Co-op for 19+ years.
Cashier (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: job security, benefits even for part-time workers
Cons: working varied shifts as opposed to regular shifts.
I have always enjoyed new challenges, interesting new marketing and merchandising strategies over the years, and have found setting up new casms and displays to be most enjoyable. Calgary Co-op is a good company to work for.
You always learned something new in the year on your products.
Manager (Former Employee), Beddington and HamptonsOctober 6, 2014
Pros: lots of product knowledge seminars
Cons: long hours
I would go in first thing in the morning and do opening procedures. Handle deposit from night before. Handle in coming emails from other stores and head office. Deal with the reps from companies, that we carried product for. Build displays to merchandise.Helped customers with product choices. Ordered product in for our store from Connect, Brewers Distributors, Big Rock and Sleemans. Did store schedules for staff. Handled employee's complaints through our human resource department and our upper management. The hardest part of the job was the possiblity of armed robbery while the most enjoyable part being able to help customers with their product choice.
There is a reason they are always hiring...
Customer Service (Former Employee), Calgary, ABSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: its warm in there atleast...
Cons: long hours, repetative work, i was paid belowe minimum wage, expected to work when so sick you need hospitalization, reselling bad meat
Kept us at minimum wage for a month after minimum wage rose, and never caught up.

They had sent out bad meat and had people return it. They put a safe cooking sticker on it and put it back on the shelf. (Even the ones sitting in the trunks for hours.)

One time I had pneumonia and at that stage it stops being contagious. They said if its not contagious I should be in working. (I was the bagger at this time)
Headquarters
Calgary Co-operative Association Limited
Head Office #110, 151 - 86 Avenue S.E.
Calgary, AB T2H 3A5