Calgary Board Of Education Employee Reviews

Wonderful working environment
Student Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2017
Prep for classes each day for the students selected for literacy program
That staff communicates needs of the students and shares suggestions to ensure student success.
Pros
Seeing students being sussessful learners.
Cons
Lots of paper work and little time to complete.
Do not see these people
High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2017
I do not see any of the downtown staff
I wrote a review about the school I work at which was very positive. I cannot comment on this. The benefits and salary are good
Working with staff and students to deliver successful outcomes
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2017
A great place to work. Fabulous supports and benefits. You work hard but you feel accomplished.

Seeing a direct through line of your work to student success is a strong motivator
Rewarding job requiring lots of commitment..
Teacher/Special Education (Former Employee) –  Sir John A MacDonald School26 August 2017
I learned the importance of treating each student as an individual. I worked in classrooms with very diverse groups of students each year. The best days were when our students would demonstrated progress in skills they had been practicing. My classroom staff and I were always happy to see this. Ongoing assessment and report writing were tedious requirements of the job.
Pros
witnessing students' progress
Cons
paperwork
Productive in only a few places.
Senior Facility Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 August 2017
I worked for nine years with the CBE. They like to pride themselves on the CBE being the greatest place to work, this is not true. This review has nothing to do with the ATA. This is about facilities (caretaking ). Supervisors no longer care. They won't admit that all caretaking actually works for the principles in each school. They like to tell you that you don't, but most of us know we do. As soon as you upset a principal, you find yourself demoted.
I warn you all, be very careful. Always have union rep present when talking to the supervisors, as the truth can be hard to come by.
Pros
wages and benifets
Cons
Lack of caring supervisors and team leader's.
a temporary assignment on a project that was poorly planned / managed
Multimedia Designer/Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2017
Work environment was friendly and pleasant but some co-workers were too chatty and always brought up useless pointless topics that didn't need to be heard by the entire room of cubicles. Project was monotonous and poorly planned. Budget was cut so even though project was not completed, our positions were ended and the unfinished work was turned over to already overloaded permanent employees.

No cross training on any other skills, no variety in the work and no advancement potential to other more highly skilled types of work.
Pros
free coffee, use of kitchen
Cons
lot so useless chatter, lack of team interaction/collaboration, no advancement potential, subject to budget cuts
Productive office with great co-workers
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2017
A typical day included sorting and opening mail, entering student data into the data system, filing and any other jobs required around the office. Very supportive atmosphere.
Good job.
Education Assistant Casual Roster (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
I loved working for them just hard to secure a perm position in my desired field. Loved having summers and holidays off, I enjoyed that we got a discount at Repsol to support a healthy lifestyle.
Great staff and students, good work/home balance, good pay
Lunch Supervisor/School Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2017
Presently working Casual Lunch Room Supervisor at various schools.
Staff is very friendly and helpful in every school. Everyone works together and there is good communication. I've had positive experiences supervising students. I really enjoy being able to help in the office or in the classroom after lunch supervision is over.
Pros
Variety
Cons
Hard to get on full time.
CBE is a class act!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 June 2017
Working at the CBE was exactly as expected. They work with thousands of students and do it well. Most days feel like all employees are appreciated. Lots of staff interaction.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 May 2017
Having a great time at the moment. Hoping to have a full time job down the road. Learning tons every day and growing from each assignment. Every day is different. Met some very wonderful people.
Good work environment, great people
SCHOOL TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT SPECIALIST I (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2017
Teaching staff were great to work with, and it was always fun interacting with the students. Day typically consists of troubleshooting computer issues for teachers and students and working with administration to plan current and future technology requirements.
Pros
Awesome people to work with, great benefits package
Cons
no work during summer break (schools out)
It's the same everywhere
Strategist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2017
If you are a teacher then you will fully understand that there is no work/life balance in the teaching profession. You will work evenings and weekends. It is also very dog-eat-dog and unless you are friends with a principal or know someone in a position of power, your ability to advance is next to impossible. The lack of classroom supports are the same as in other provinces.
Teaching is a very difficult job and if I could go back in time I would choose another profession.
For my own health and well-being, and for the well-being of my family, I chose to leave the teaching profession in 2015.
Great education system
Learning Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2017
Great education system that provides great opportunities for both teachers and students alike. I was sad to leave the district as it has provided me with valuable experience that I could not have received elsewhere.
rewarding and fun job
Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2017
A typical day at work is structured based on age of student and their special needs. Every day is different, sometimes challenging but fun. Team work and communication between teacher, education assistant, specialists and parents is very important.
The most rewarding challenge
Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 April 2017
As a Sub, I've worked at several locations. I've worked with students who range from mild to severe, in their behavioural needs, cognitive needs, or learning needs. I've also gained the opportunity to collaborate with teachers and support staff in a variety of classroom settings. The majority of schools have a team-based culture; everyone is practically on the same page. Working one-to-one, small group facilitation and opportunities for professional growth are a bonus. Building a healthy, productive rapport with students was the most rewarding aspect in this position - they really look up to you.
Pros
Great staff and students, enjoyable atmosphere at most locations
Cons
Relocate to different schools regularly
very pleasant place to work
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 March 2017
I had the opportunity to work with a great staff and team members. They were all friendly, compassionate about their positions and always caring for other staff members
Pros
fun and friendly atmosphere
Cons
no cons to think of
My casual position is wonderful for work / life balance
Casual lunch room supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2017
The CBE is fantastic school board. The opportunities are flexible and help attain a work/life balance. Excellent for parents who are reentering the workforce and want a flexible position that keeps the same schedule as their children.
Pros
Working the same schedule that my children are in school
Overwhelmingly rewarding
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2017
Being able to say I love my profession makes me extremely lucky.
Substituting for CBE has allowed me to grow personally and professionally. I get to learn about new topics, students and schools everyday. I substitute for one school regularly and have gotten to know a lot of the students and the community. The staff is amazing.
It is not the easiest job to walk into the front of a classroom of 30 plus students but with a positive and easy going personality you can earn students respect. And a sense of humour always helps.
Great benefits, hard work
Power Engineer- 5th Class (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
Good benefits, hard work if you are not in an office setting. Demand for overtime is huge, due to high staff turnover in some departments. Good thing the toughest jobs are under a Union. Don't get sick and don't get hurt is the mantra.
Pros
Union
Cons
Work demands constantly increasing year by year.