Calgary Board Of Education Employee Reviews

The experience was positive. Regular professional development and variety of challenges.
Elementary School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 February 2018
I enjoyed my work experience within the class setting and the opportunities to work a member of a team. In general the staff at each location were supportive, encouraging and professional.

The work load was high, but I learned how to manage my time and develop leadership skills. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the constant changes in policies, curriculum.

I enjoyed the witnessing the growth academically, socially and emotionally in my students.
Pros
Working with others with similiar interests.
Cons
long hours including personal time outside of the daily schedule
Special Educational Assistant
Special Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 January 2018
Under the direction of the teacher, and as a member of the student’s learning team I provide assistance in the education and support of students with a variety of special needs.

I have achieved high praise for my problem solving/conflict management skills.
I planned and organized activities and learning opportunities.
Pros
Working with children to help them learn and grow
Cons
not enough hours
Staff is a commodity that is not valued
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 January 2018
Constantly told that you are replaceable. Managment has no training on staff and team development. For a place the focuses on education there is no in-house staff development plans or opportunities.
It was a learning experience
network analyst (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2018
I spent 4 years in IT so did this job almost 8 years. It was ok but I did not get the social interaction. The computer monitors became hard on my eyes and sitting all day. Needed more fresh air, walking around and moving.
Benefits
Cons
Locked at a computer for 13 hours a day.
Excellent workplace
ERNEST MORROW JR. HIGHSCHOOL (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 November 2017
I work with young children and love the interaction I have everyday with students. This job is continually helping me grow educationally, my favorite part is working with the elementary students.
Wonderful working environment
Student Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2017
Prep for classes each day for the students selected for literacy program
That staff communicates needs of the students and shares suggestions to ensure student success.
Pros
Seeing students being sussessful learners.
Cons
Lots of paper work and little time to complete.
Do not see these people
High School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 October 2017
I do not see any of the downtown staff
I wrote a review about the school I work at which was very positive. I cannot comment on this. The benefits and salary are good
Working with staff and students to deliver successful outcomes
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 September 2017
A great place to work. Fabulous supports and benefits. You work hard but you feel accomplished.

Seeing a direct through line of your work to student success is a strong motivator
Rewarding job requiring lots of commitment..
Teacher/Special Education (Former Employee) –  Sir John A MacDonald School26 August 2017
I learned the importance of treating each student as an individual. I worked in classrooms with very diverse groups of students each year. The best days were when our students would demonstrated progress in skills they had been practicing. My classroom staff and I were always happy to see this. Ongoing assessment and report writing were tedious requirements of the job.
Pros
witnessing students' progress
Cons
paperwork
Productive in only a few places.
Senior Facility Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 August 2017
I worked for nine years with the CBE. They like to pride themselves on the CBE being the greatest place to work, this is not true. This review has nothing to do with the ATA. This is about facilities (caretaking ). Supervisors no longer care. They won't admit that all caretaking actually works for the principles in each school. They like to tell you that you don't, but most of us know we do. As soon as you upset a principal, you find yourself demoted.
I warn you all, be very careful. Always have union rep present when talking to the supervisors, as the truth can be hard to come by.
Pros
wages and benifets
Cons
Lack of caring supervisors and team leader's.
a temporary assignment on a project that was poorly planned / managed
Multimedia Designer/Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2017
Work environment was friendly and pleasant but some co-workers were too chatty and always brought up useless pointless topics that didn't need to be heard by the entire room of cubicles. Project was monotonous and poorly planned. Budget was cut so even though project was not completed, our positions were ended and the unfinished work was turned over to already overloaded permanent employees.

No cross training on any other skills, no variety in the work and no advancement potential to other more highly skilled types of work.
Pros
free coffee, use of kitchen
Cons
lot so useless chatter, lack of team interaction/collaboration, no advancement potential, subject to budget cuts
Productive office with great co-workers
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2017
A typical day included sorting and opening mail, entering student data into the data system, filing and any other jobs required around the office. Very supportive atmosphere.
Good job.
Education Assistant Casual Roster (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2017
I loved working for them just hard to secure a perm position in my desired field. Loved having summers and holidays off, I enjoyed that we got a discount at Repsol to support a healthy lifestyle.
Great staff and students, good work/home balance, good pay
Lunch Supervisor/School Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2017
Presently working Casual Lunch Room Supervisor at various schools.
Staff is very friendly and helpful in every school. Everyone works together and there is good communication. I've had positive experiences supervising students. I really enjoy being able to help in the office or in the classroom after lunch supervision is over.
Pros
Variety
Cons
Hard to get on full time.
CBE is a class act!
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 June 2017
Working at the CBE was exactly as expected. They work with thousands of students and do it well. Most days feel like all employees are appreciated. Lots of staff interaction.
Substitute Teacher
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 May 2017
Having a great time at the moment. Hoping to have a full time job down the road. Learning tons every day and growing from each assignment. Every day is different. Met some very wonderful people.
Good work environment, great people
SCHOOL TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT SPECIALIST I (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2017
Teaching staff were great to work with, and it was always fun interacting with the students. Day typically consists of troubleshooting computer issues for teachers and students and working with administration to plan current and future technology requirements.
Pros
Awesome people to work with, great benefits package
Cons
no work during summer break (schools out)
It's the same everywhere
Strategist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2017
If you are a teacher then you will fully understand that there is no work/life balance in the teaching profession. You will work evenings and weekends. It is also very dog-eat-dog and unless you are friends with a principal or know someone in a position of power, your ability to advance is next to impossible. The lack of classroom supports are the same as in other provinces.
Teaching is a very difficult job and if I could go back in time I would choose another profession.
For my own health and well-being, and for the well-being of my family, I chose to leave the teaching profession in 2015.
Great education system
Learning Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2017
Great education system that provides great opportunities for both teachers and students alike. I was sad to leave the district as it has provided me with valuable experience that I could not have received elsewhere.
rewarding and fun job
Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2017
A typical day at work is structured based on age of student and their special needs. Every day is different, sometimes challenging but fun. Team work and communication between teacher, education assistant, specialists and parents is very important.