Calgary Board Of Education Employee Reviews

My casual position is wonderful for work / life balance
Casual lunch room supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2017
The CBE is fantastic school board. The opportunities are flexible and help attain a work/life balance. Excellent for parents who are reentering the workforce and want a flexible position that keeps the same schedule as their children.
Pros
Working the same schedule that my children are in school
Overwhelmingly rewarding
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2017
Being able to say I love my profession makes me extremely lucky.
Substituting for CBE has allowed me to grow personally and professionally. I get to learn about new topics, students and schools everyday. I substitute for one school regularly and have gotten to know a lot of the students and the community. The staff is amazing.
It is not the easiest job to walk into the front of a classroom of 30 plus students but with a positive and easy going personality you can earn students respect. And a sense of humour always helps.
Great benefits, hard work
Power Engineer- 5th Class (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
Good benefits, hard work if you are not in an office setting. Demand for overtime is huge, due to high staff turnover in some departments. Good thing the toughest jobs are under a Union. Don't get sick and don't get hurt is the mantra.
Pros
Union
Cons
Work demands constantly increasing year by year.
I enjoyed the job completely.
Mechanics Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
Very rewarding and satisfying career at the CBE. It was challenging and provided the opportunity to learn and grow. I always enjoyed working with the students and staff. I operated my Mechanics Program like a business and helped a lot of people with their vehicle issues.
Pros
Students and staff
Cons
Stressful
great friendlyenviroment
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2017
I enjoyed my time working at North Haven Elementary School. The staff was friendly, my boss was supportive, and the kids were great!
Enjoyable outdoor summer job
Calgary board of education (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2017
We were responsible for cutting grass at schools in the NE and line trimming. It was enjoyable to work outside, and with people that had similar interests.
An abundance of opportunity
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 December 2016
given challenges - a plethora of operational resources available to garner support and experience in order to achieve the project objectives.
wonderful experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
As a future teacher this is a great way to learn the daily life of a teacher, see them teach, and interact with the students. Also great way to build professional experience and connections.
Pros
Wonderful teachers who really care.
Cons
Hard to get in
enjoyed imparting knowledge on youth
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2016
I was a teacher for 5 years with the school board teaching grades 7-9. It was very enjoyable and difficult to leave but i had other opportunities to pursue. Educating individuals has always been important to me whether it be in a teaching role, coaching role or managing role. I enjoy the interaction with the students and try to have some fun as well as impart the necessary knowledge.
Overall enjoyable to work there. Nice people to work with
Facility Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 October 2016
Great place, co-workers were fun and upbeat, learned about boilers. Checked boilers, clear snow/cut grass, clean facility.
Hardest - stripping floors
Pros
Monday to Friday work
Cons
Working Nights
Great School Board
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2016
Loved working with staff and students at all the school's that I taught at in Calgary, AB. Fabulous atmosphere and hard-working staff.
Good atmosphere
Education/Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2016
Good place to work. Would be best if they offered more full time permanent positions. Overall not a bad place a lot of good staff.
Great team, fun to work with
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2016
Day to day work load is great and easy to do, the staff is fun & we know how to laugh and get the job done. Management can be a challenge some times but tolerable. Hardest part of my job going from office to office. Most Enjoyable part of the job the people I work with.
Pros
Kept busy
Cons
Working in two different offices
Fun and flexible
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2016
Love it, great support and lovely environment. Admin is helpful and lots of placement throughout the school year. Professional development is highly encouraged.
Friendly workplace environment
Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 June 2016
It is a good place to work. Co-workers are very helpful and friendly at work. Work schedule is flexible. We can deal with package boilers, HVAC systems and other commercial mechanical equipment.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Flexible shift.
Convient working enviroment, break area, cafeteria, break time (must take)
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB CANADA2 March 2016
The manager and supervisor will monitor the employees to take break, there is no excuse not to take break.

on site cafeteria is convenient to buy breakfast and lunch without leave the building.
Great Profession
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 October 2015
Calgary Board of Education was wonderful to work for. Thoroughly enjoyed my 30+ years teaching. Great administration and colleagues.
Pros
Working with Kids
Cons
Could get stressful.
Calgary Board of Education is great place to work and have funs as well. There is gym in the building where each an everyone can exercise. It's fun.
Diversity& Learning Support Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2015
The beauty of Calgary Board of Education is flexiblity of work hours and the diversity of the team. CBE has many employees who came from rich cultural backgrounds and experiences.
Pros
Free coffee & cookies
Cons
Variable & flexible week hours
Challenging and requiring great flexibility
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 October 2015
The job was fulfilling in that it allowed the teacher time to develop life and academic skills for the students. The chemistry of the work cohort was paramount in both the enjoyment and cooperative nature of working with a student body
Challenging workplace with lots of different opportunities
Resource and Classroom Teacher, Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2015
- each school was very different
- each situation was very different
- schools adapted to their students
- school board did offer many opportunities
- too many different systems in charge of teacher hiring and placement, left some people out of the loop or forgotten about
Pros
Good benefit plan
Cons
Confusing comunication system

4.3