Calgary Board Of Education Employee Reviews

Good work environment, great people
SCHOOL TECHNOLOGY SUPPORT SPECIALIST I (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 May 2017
Teaching staff were great to work with, and it was always fun interacting with the students. Day typically consists of troubleshooting computer issues for teachers and students and working with administration to plan current and future technology requirements.
Pros
Awesome people to work with, great benefits package
Cons
no work during summer break (schools out)
It's the same everywhere
Strategist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 May 2017
If you are a teacher then you will fully understand that there is no work/life balance in the teaching profession. You will work evenings and weekends. It is also very dog-eat-dog and unless you are friends with a principal or know someone in a position of power, your ability to advance is next to impossible. The lack of classroom supports are the same as in other provinces.
Teaching is a very difficult job and if I could go back in time I would choose another profession.
For my own health and well-being, and for the well-being of my family, I chose to leave the teaching profession in 2015.
Great education system
Learning Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 May 2017
Great education system that provides great opportunities for both teachers and students alike. I was sad to leave the district as it has provided me with valuable experience that I could not have received elsewhere.
rewarding and fun job
Education Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 May 2017
A typical day at work is structured based on age of student and their special needs. Every day is different, sometimes challenging but fun. Team work and communication between teacher, education assistant, specialists and parents is very important.
The most rewarding challenge
Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 April 2017
As a Sub, I've worked at several locations. I've worked with students who range from mild to severe, in their behavioural needs, cognitive needs, or learning needs. I've also gained the opportunity to collaborate with teachers and support staff in a variety of classroom settings. The majority of schools have a team-based culture; everyone is practically on the same page. Working one-to-one, small group facilitation and opportunities for professional growth are a bonus. Building a healthy, productive rapport with students was the most rewarding aspect in this position - they really look up to you.
Pros
Great staff and students, enjoyable atmosphere at most locations
Cons
Relocate to different schools regularly
very pleasant place to work
TEACHER ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 March 2017
I had the opportunity to work with a great staff and team members. They were all friendly, compassionate about their positions and always caring for other staff members
Pros
fun and friendly atmosphere
Cons
no cons to think of
My casual position is wonderful for work / life balance
Casual lunch room supervisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 March 2017
The CBE is fantastic school board. The opportunities are flexible and help attain a work/life balance. Excellent for parents who are reentering the workforce and want a flexible position that keeps the same schedule as their children.
Pros
Working the same schedule that my children are in school
Overwhelmingly rewarding
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2017
Being able to say I love my profession makes me extremely lucky.
Substituting for CBE has allowed me to grow personally and professionally. I get to learn about new topics, students and schools everyday. I substitute for one school regularly and have gotten to know a lot of the students and the community. The staff is amazing.
It is not the easiest job to walk into the front of a classroom of 30 plus students but with a positive and easy going personality you can earn students respect. And a sense of humour always helps.
Great benefits, hard work
Power Engineer- 5th Class (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
Good benefits, hard work if you are not in an office setting. Demand for overtime is huge, due to high staff turnover in some departments. Good thing the toughest jobs are under a Union. Don't get sick and don't get hurt is the mantra.
Pros
Union
Cons
Work demands constantly increasing year by year.
I enjoyed the job completely.
Mechanics Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2017
Very rewarding and satisfying career at the CBE. It was challenging and provided the opportunity to learn and grow. I always enjoyed working with the students and staff. I operated my Mechanics Program like a business and helped a lot of people with their vehicle issues.
Pros
Students and staff
Cons
Stressful
great friendlyenviroment
Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 February 2017
I enjoyed my time working at North Haven Elementary School. The staff was friendly, my boss was supportive, and the kids were great!
Enjoyable outdoor summer job
Calgary board of education (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB18 January 2017
We were responsible for cutting grass at schools in the NE and line trimming. It was enjoyable to work outside, and with people that had similar interests.
An abundance of opportunity
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 December 2016
given challenges - a plethora of operational resources available to garner support and experience in order to achieve the project objectives.
wonderful experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 December 2016
As a future teacher this is a great way to learn the daily life of a teacher, see them teach, and interact with the students. Also great way to build professional experience and connections.
Pros
Wonderful teachers who really care.
Cons
Hard to get in
enjoyed imparting knowledge on youth
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 December 2016
I was a teacher for 5 years with the school board teaching grades 7-9. It was very enjoyable and difficult to leave but i had other opportunities to pursue. Educating individuals has always been important to me whether it be in a teaching role, coaching role or managing role. I enjoy the interaction with the students and try to have some fun as well as impart the necessary knowledge.
Overall enjoyable to work there. Nice people to work with
Facility Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 October 2016
Great place, co-workers were fun and upbeat, learned about boilers. Checked boilers, clear snow/cut grass, clean facility.
Hardest - stripping floors
Pros
Monday to Friday work
Cons
Working Nights
Great School Board
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 September 2016
Loved working with staff and students at all the school's that I taught at in Calgary, AB. Fabulous atmosphere and hard-working staff.
Good atmosphere
Education/Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 August 2016
Good place to work. Would be best if they offered more full time permanent positions. Overall not a bad place a lot of good staff.
Great team, fun to work with
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 August 2016
Day to day work load is great and easy to do, the staff is fun & we know how to laugh and get the job done. Management can be a challenge some times but tolerable. Hardest part of my job going from office to office. Most Enjoyable part of the job the people I work with.
Pros
Kept busy
Cons
Working in two different offices
Fun and flexible
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2016
Love it, great support and lovely environment. Admin is helpful and lots of placement throughout the school year. Professional development is highly encouraged.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Calgary Board Of Education. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3