Calgary Board Of Education

Calgary Board Of Education Employee Reviews

Great team, fun to work with
Secretary/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 9, 2016
Day to day work load is great and easy to do, the staff is fun & we know how to laugh and get the job done. Management can be a challenge some times but tolerable. Hardest part of my job going from office to office. Most Enjoyable part of the job the people I work with.
Pros
Kept busy
Cons
Working in two different offices
Friendly workplace environment
Facility Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 25, 2016
It is a good place to work. Co-workers are very helpful and friendly at work. Work schedule is flexible. We can deal with package boilers, HVAC systems and other commercial mechanical equipment.
Pros
Employee benefits
Cons
Flexible shift.
Fun and flexible
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 30, 2016
Love it, great support and lovely environment. Admin is helpful and lots of placement throughout the school year. Professional development is highly encouraged.
Convient working enviroment, break area, cafeteria, break time (must take)
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Calgary AB CANADAMarch 2, 2016
The manager and supervisor will monitor the employees to take break, there is no excuse not to take break.

on site cafeteria is convenient to buy breakfast and lunch without leave the building.
Miss the CBE!
Multimedia Designer/Developer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 21, 2014
Low job security for new employees: whenever the gov't feels like cutting education funding, you're guaranteed to be laid off. The people here are great! That said, since it's such a large organization I'm sure it depends on your workplace location.

I learned a LOT from management, who are all very knowledgeable and experienced. The hardest part of the job was leaving - and it wasn't out of my own (or anyone else's) choice. The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers.
Pros
co-workers, unionized hours and raises
Cons
cuts to funding makes for a worrisome work environment
It's a nice place to work knowing that I'm helping the school kids.
Facility Operator/Head Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 6, 2013
A typical day of work includes opening the school, checking the boilers, sweeping and mopping the hallway floors, classroom cleaning, and attend to the school admin requests. I learned that everybody that comes in to the school becomes my customer. The management is nice to me, and accomodates almost every request I ask, all are job related requests. My co-workers are hardworkers, talented and very cooperative. I think the hardest part of my job is dealing with my superiors and difficult teachers. The most enjoyable part of my job is when the kids appreciate the work I'm doing for them.
Pros
i have flexibility on my work schedule.
Cons
long hours of work.
Calgary Board of Education is great place to work and have funs as well. There is gym in the building where each an everyone can exercise. It's fun.
Diversity& Learning Support Advisor (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 26, 2015
The beauty of Calgary Board of Education is flexiblity of work hours and the diversity of the team. CBE has many employees who came from rich cultural backgrounds and experiences.
Pros
Free coffee & cookies
Cons
Variable & flexible week hours
it is the board way
building cleaner (Former Employee) –  high schoolFebruary 9, 2015
the job title was very misleading as you were expected to do many different tasks during your shift which rotatated at the supervisors whim you were given seven minutes to clean a classrooom which is not realistic for what is expected to do in theses seven minutes my workplace was always short of staff so you were expected to do your area in a rush then go to help in another area manj jos were timed down to the minute and you had to work in unsafe conditions due to the lack of adequate staffing scheduling as some one was always off sick due to the stress casued by the improperly trained foreman and supervisors and the faster faster attitude of it being the board way or the highway the hardest part of the job was working in a hurried enviroment and highly stressfull and unsafe conditions
benefits
Cons
to many to list
Below
Teacher - High School English (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABSeptember 9, 2012
Most of us know what a typical day at school is like: attendance, greetings, motivational talks, inspirational readings, discussion groups, written responses,and delivering presentations.

I learned that the greatest role a teacher can fulfill is to help a student recognize his or her real gift. With this, a student can find a potential field to move into. Kids need alot of nurturing and in spite of their tight peer relationships, they look to adults for direction.

I loved my 35 years as a teacher but I grew tired of the marking, especially since my field was High School English.

There were many opportunities to make friendships within the school system. As far as management, the school I worked in was very large so really outside of large meetings, we didn't see much of management...unless there was a problem!
Challenging workplace with lots of different opportunities
Resource and Classroom Teacher, Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 24, 2015
- each school was very different
- each situation was very different
- schools adapted to their students
- school board did offer many opportunities
- too many different systems in charge of teacher hiring and placement, left some people out of the loop or forgotten about
Pros
Good benefit plan
Cons
Confusing comunication system
Great Profession
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 30, 2015
Calgary Board of Education was wonderful to work for. Thoroughly enjoyed my 30+ years teaching. Great administration and colleagues.
Pros
Working with Kids
Cons
Could get stressful.
Great people at local level. Upper management needs to be people oriented.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 10, 2013
Secure working environment. Great to work with children and staff of school. Board needs to focus on children more than administration and results. Very demanding job, little time for personal life.
Pros
security, salary
Cons
Challenging and requiring great flexibility
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABOctober 2, 2015
The job was fulfilling in that it allowed the teacher time to develop life and academic skills for the students. The chemistry of the work cohort was paramount in both the enjoyment and cooperative nature of working with a student body
Good place to work at
General Ledger Controller (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 20, 2015
Prepared spreadsheets, account reconciliations, worked in Oracle, Excel, PeopleSoft, QuickBooks, Outlook. Prepared journal entries, uploaded accounting information into Oracle, prepared working papers for year end, etc. Trained accounting staff when required.
Pros
job security, good benefit package
Cons
Never a dull day at work, always challenging and rewarding
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 19, 2014
With over 15 years in this position there are so many stories, but each day brought it's own unique challenges and rewards.

Many new faces each year, regardless if it was new staff or new students, there was always a fresh feeling each new year.

I enjoyed interacting with the students when given the opportunity even though my position was mainly focused on office type work, this was the next best thing to being a Teacher.
Pros
very good hours, and friendly co-workers
Cons
limited room for advancement within the system.
was okay for the time looking for other work
Facility Operator (Former Employee) –  calgary abMarch 11, 2015
lots of work shrt handed alot the people were nice every task was part of my job just had to be done

i learned to use certain eqiupment
managment had alot of politics
hardest part plunging the stuffed toilet
co workers some i liked some just couldnt win with
i liked dealing with people
Pros
inside work mostely
Cons
disrespectful students
A supportive and educational environment.
Educational Interpreter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 27, 2013
I interpret from American Sign Language (ASL) into English or vice versa in a classroom setting. The other staff in both of the schools I work in currently, are very supportive and friendly. In the elementary school it is particularly interesting and fun to watch the young children as they participate in story telling. I really enjoy that! The high school is interesting particularly when different cultures and beliefs come together to share information.
Pros
supportive environment with excellent team members.
Cons
short work year.
clean working environment
Electrician, Fire Alarm (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABApril 26, 2012
Enjoyed testing fire alarm systems inproper all Calgary public schools .Proper methods to test various types of fire alarm systems. Management somewhat helpful. Good knowledgeable tradesmen in all trades.coordinating bell ringing with principals and staff. Feeling of satisfaction when you have successfully signed off a properly functioning system. Knowing the children and. staff will be notified in case of a fire and can take measures to ensure the safety of all
Pros
work with little or no supervision.van supplied
Cons
a lot of driving
I have been a dedicated Calgary Board of Education Employee
Leave from the Calgary Board of Education (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 8, 2013
For several years I have worked as a Calgary Board of Education Employee,I have specifically worked with coded students that have diagnosed mental health issues,I have given 100% to all my assigned positions in a variety of school settings, it is time for a completely different career that would be working with adults
Pros
being a team member with the calgary board of education system, and educational teams, to educate youth
Cons
limited supervisory roles that would utilize all my skills
Enjoyable place to work as fun events would be put together to address, relieve the stresses of the work place
Supervisor of Caretaking (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 23, 2012
As a Supervisor a typical day at work involved teaching and supervising caretaking staff. Addressing the needs of the many buildings which included HVAC SYSTEMS, grounds, building envelopes, contractors, interacting with administration staff of schools and other admin. buildings.
My learning, work experience was constantly being upgraded through the many work shops that was offered through on sight, off sight, organizations such as Chemical Companies, OHS, HR, Sait.

My co-workers were a great group. We supported each other when needs and issues arose and the end result was improvement of the system.

Due to the nature of the position, it commanded a great deal of your time and tested your professional experience on a daily bases.
The enjoyable part of the job was seeing the positive effect that came out of a days work whether that was from a conflict resolution situation, or a mechanical solution that you were part of.
Pros
always having the opportunity to learn more and become more effective and efficient at what you did
Cons
under staffed, which translated into long hours, but that was a given.

Calgary Board Of Education Reviews by Location