PURPOSE AND ACCOUNTABILITY
Working under the direction of the Grounds Foreman, the purpose of this position is to provide leadership to, and participate on, a work crew in the repair and installation of asphalt pavement and storm sewer systems.
This position is accountable for:
- Demonstrating proficiency with various pieces of equipment use to perform job duties;
- Maintaining a productive balance between quality and quantity of work in an efficient and timely manner while demonstrating adaptability to changes in work procedures;
- Effectively prioritizing work and solving associated problems in a collaborative manner;
- Communicating effectively as well as demonstrating teamwork to contribute towards and maintain positive work relationships;
- Effective delegation and sharing of responsibilities to work crews, recognition of the work crews abilities, building confidence in others, encouraging growth and reflection in others, and demonstrating effective coaching and training skills; and
- Performing all duties in accordance with CBE and legislative safety practices and procedures at all times to ensure their own safety as well as the safety of team members, staff and students.
1. Participates in, and provides supervision to, a small work crew. Ensures safe working procedures and conditions exist at all times. Models appropriate conduct and behaviour for carrying out duties in a student environment and working with school staff.
2. Safely operates, and provides daily maintenance to, equipment.
3. Assists in the effective training of staff in the proper use of equipment and vehicles.
4. Repairs and installs storm drainage systems.
5. Ensures proper grading for drainage by utilizing a transit leveling devise.
6. Works from profile drawings and reads grade stakes on site.
7. Performs audits to evaluate the life cycle of asphalt surfaces and updates as required.
8. Excavates, prepares sub grades and replaces asphalt with appropriate mix.
9. Repairs concrete surfaces where required.
10. Performs other hard landscape construction such as retaining walls, staircases and interlocking stone.
11. Performs duties of Equipment Operator and Truck Driver on a temporary or ad hoc basis as required. May perform general labouring duties as assigned.
12. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Possession of a Class 3-Q driver’s license. Two to three years of experience in a related capacity with demonstrated skills in concrete and asphalt repair, and confined space entry as well as experience using manual and power tools, including jackhammers. Previous supervisory experience an asset. Appropriate TDG and WHMIS training certificates as well as a confined entry certificate. Carpentry experience also an asset. Demonstrated ability to read and understand blueprints, and understand written and oral directions. Demonstrated record keeping skills. Demonstrated communication skills. Demonstrated dependability and reliability. Demonstrated personal integrity and trustworthiness. Demonstrated time management and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment. Demonstrated ability to respect and value all individuals with sensitivity to diversity. Personal suitability.
Note: This position works outside in various weather conditions and temperatures and involves repeated physical movement and exertion
This position must provide a Police Security Clearance Check as well as a Driver Abstract.
Interested applicants are asked to apply by indicating PD # 3537 on their application.
We thank all applicants for applying and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.