Calfrac Well Services

Calfrac Well Services Employee Reviews in Canada

Great balance between work and play
Fracturing Operator (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABNovember 2, 2015
A good place to work with many chances to advance within the company. The 15 and 6 schedule provides workers with a good chance to earn money as well as spend time off with family and needed rest. Hydraulic fracturing can be a very dangerous job but with controls in place and experienced workers, the job was made safe by everyone.
Calfrac was a good place to work. Challenges and experiences were met.
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Red Deer AlbertaOctober 16, 2015
Calfrac was easy to blend in and be part of a team. My experience was used to trouble shoot and mentor others.

The work pace could be very fast due to operational requirements at times. The overall atmosphere was amiable and easy going.

Calfrac employees kept a professional workplace and were treated very well.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
Hotel Living
I enjoyed all aspects of my job and really enjoyed passing on my knowledge to coworkers.
Coil Tubing Operator 3/Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABNovember 2, 2015
it was a great job. The opportunity for learning and advancement was made clear from the get go. Hard work is rewarded and failure is taken as a learning experience.
Pros
rewarded for hard work
Cons
it is best described as feast or famine
Poor working atmosphere
Parts person (Former Employee) –  Clairmont, ABOctober 20, 2015
Management is clueless on how to lead. Sneaky backstabbing goes on all the time amongst employees and from supervisors/managers to employees. Hidden agendas, politics, and B/S on a daily basis. Not a nice place to work.
Pros
Good wages and benefits, not worth the hassle though.
Cons
Toxic work environment
OK
Frac Hand (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABNovember 18, 2015
Guys were good. Salary and bonuses OK. Benefits so so.
Management in Medicine Hat not great - Friends and family program.
On the road all the time once the price of natural gas went to nothing.
Pros
mostly decent guys
Cons
management, away from home
Calfrac well is a good company
Frac Lead Pump Hand (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABDecember 13, 2015
Its pretty good company to work for, ambiance, people, life, money ,
work it was pretty much good.I enjoyed working there.
Pros
free stuff
Cons
yes long hours
no chance to move up in this job
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCJuly 27, 2015
take yard list and send it to Dispatch-check that warehouse is clean -check on computer that all the job board is up to date-transfer chemicals to work or travel totes as required-load or unload trucks as required -check with job supervisors to see if they know when trucks are coming in and plan to unload and reload them as required
Pros
talking to operators
Cons
need to know can be diffcult to handel at times
Productive Work place
CTAN Operator (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABSeptember 14, 2015
Fun Workplace with Challenges everyday, You always learn something. People are good to work with. Long hours in which sometimes pay off in which other times it dont. Apply Within
Pros
Decent pay
good safe place to work
Fracturing Operator / CTAN supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie ABAugust 21, 2015
Safety culture is very high and good pay when its busy. Great bunch of guys to work with but being gone for two weeks from my family is hard
Pros
pay
N/A
N/A (Current Employee) –  Grande PrairieOctober 2, 2015
Given the current state of the economy, it is very difficult to maintain a positive working environment. Good company otherwise.
Excellent Company
Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABJuly 15, 2015
Just an excellent Company to work for, unfortunately, price of oil and the new Alberta Government ended my job with them.. Hope to get hired back,
Terrible company to work for.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grande prairieJuly 11, 2015
Bottom of the industry benefits, pay depends on how often you're in the field (going camping quadding or fishing with people in positions of authority are the best way to ensure good pay).

Management come from the field and have no idea what it takes to manage people, they're promoted to the point of incompetence because they know people higher up.

Be prepared to work 15-16 hours days when you do finally get into the field as they will try to run you into the ground or until you drop or burnout. No doubt you will be blamed for said burnout.

Good luck trying to move up without knowing someone, and be prepared to be treated like poorly on a daily basis. You will hear the term "we own you for 15 days" repeatedly and they constantly remind you that you can be replaced... And they will, they recently laid off 60% of their workforce this spring. You mean nothing to them, bottom line is all that matters!

Service first, people don't matter

Terrible leadership, terrible model, do yourself a favour and look elsewhere. You'll thank me for it.
Pros
Industry average pay(which was just cut)
Cons
Poor benefits, poor treatment, egotistical management
Productive and fun place to work
Level 2 desktop support (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 2, 2014
• Provide in depth support to clients requiring assistance with IT products and services.
• Troubleshoot and resolve complex software, hardware and technical issues for clients.
• Identify and escalate situations requiring a field technician when necessary.
• Collaborate with development staff to recreate problems in test environment.
• Remote trouble shooting using variety of different software tools.
• Log all help desk interactions with clients and field technicians.
• Track issues to resolution and update knowledge base.
Great place to work!
Class 1 Driver/operator (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABNovember 15, 2013
HI! I enjoy working with Calfrac, however, I am looking for a job that keeps me busier and there is more room for advancing. The pay is not bad with Calfrac, but considering I have a family to support I am looking for something with more consistent hours and not something with up's and down's. My co-workers are great and I am comfortable working with them they give me their time and patience if I am struggling with something that I can't figure out. My hardest part of my job is being away from my family at extended periods of time, however, I do realize that this will be a life thing. The most enjoyable part of my job is my job itself and getting to work with my co-worers daily and meeting new people and learning new things.
parts department
parts person (Former Employee) –  red deerFebruary 19, 2013
This place is a gong show. Management is terrible, won't resolve issue's, give no resources that are needed. Alot of infighting, favourtism.

Manager of department has DUI's, yet the job requires you to make deliveries, pickups and get parts to other departments areas, however manager can't do it because of no license. Friends work together there. Volitile working environment, very high turnover.

Long hours and very negative environment. Don't waste your time. Red Deer branch has extremely high turnover.
Pros
bbq's, rsp plan excellent
Cons
bad management, favourtism..volitile environment
not sure what to say
Coiled Tubing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  GP AlbertaOctober 22, 2012
As a professional I am compelled to be tight lipped and selective about the things I say about current or previous employers , the old addage dont burn any bridges behind you is at the forefront as well. I will say that my experience at Calfrac was not an enjoyable one , and I would not return there under any circumstances , but that is just one mans opinion and experience .
Good place to work when busy
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 11, 2013
Great place to work the company does some really great things for their employees. When it comes to actually going out into the field... well just don't expect to go out in the field very much. Which means no bonus and less money in your pocket and if it keeps up expect lay offs.
Pros
good company great benefits
Cons
well less money and a lack of job security
Great place to start an oil field career
Coil Tubing Operator III (Lead Hand) (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABMay 26, 2014
Company takes good care of employees. Great benefits, compensation structure, great place for new to oil field workers. Good training, typically a good working environment.

Company schedules and pays for all flights and accommodation while on shift.
great bunch of guys to work with
Operator 2 (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, ABSeptember 18, 2012
great guys to work for. But hard to move up unless you are friends with the boss or with someone high up :(. guys that should get moved up don't and guy that don't deserve a promotion get it :(
Pros
work with guys from home town
Cons
working hard dosen't get you a head with these guys
good place to work. not enough mechanical work
Apprentice Heavy Duty Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABAugust 19, 2013
oil changes, annual inspections, changing filters and hoses. didn't get to do a whole lot of mechanical work. while i did learn a lot, it wasn't what i saw myself doing for years on end.
Pros
8 days on, 6 days off
Cons
10 hour days minimum