Cactus Communications (www.cactusglobal.com) is a pioneer in language services, serving more than 47,000 clients across 112 countries. We offer researchers, universities, institutes, and research laboratories high-quality, cost-efficient editorial solutions that help them create publication-ready documents.
We employ a global team of experienced editors, who are experts in various academic fields. We’re currently looking for specialist freelance copyeditors and substantive editors.
Here’s what we’re looking for in applicants:
- Exceptional command of the English language: grammar, punctuation, and idiomatic expressions
- At least two years of experience with editing scientific manuscripts
- A PhD/Masters’ degree and expertise in one or more of the following subjects:
- Healthcare: Cardiology, Orthopedics, Obstetrics, Gynecology, Sports Medicine, Rheumatology, Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Plastic Surgery, Cancer Research – Chemoradiotherapy, Radiotherapy Planning, Nutrition, Dietetics, Nursing, Hematology,
- Life Sciences: Plant and Animal Science, Biotechnology, Ecology, Plant Genetics, Veterinary Sciences, Biostatistics, Biophysics, Structural Biology, Bioinformatics, Biomaterials/Nanobiotechnology, Biofuels, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Neurosurgery, Neuroimaging, Pharmaceutics, Drug Design/Development
- Medicine: Physical Medicine, Anatomy, Endocrinology, Emergency and Critical Care, Dentistry, Surgery, Alternative Medicine, Traditional Medicine, ENT, Surgery, Respiratory Care, Otolaryngology, Anesthesiology, Pain Medicine, Ophthalmology, Radiology
One or more of the following are preferred:
- Experience with academic writing/editing, publishing, and scientific communications
- Experience working with ESL (English as a second language) authors and their written materials
- Familiarity with the style and conventions of scholarly writing
Our editors are assigned work in their area of expertise, and compensation is based on the manuscript length and the service level they have been signed up for, viz. copyediting or substantive editing. Editors can choose their preferred job hours, and can indicate availability on our system.
The assignments are typically research manuscripts of varying levels of difficultly; many of our clients have an ESL background, so copyediting may not always be restricted to “cleaning copy.”
Our in-house quality assurance team maintains a friendly, professional relationship with our remote editing staff; we are in touch often, passing on updates and regular feedback on assignments. Since we offer our clients a strong after-sales support to facilitate their publishing needs, editors may need to occasionally respond to author queries, or revise edited documents based on further input from the author. By joining our freelance editorial team, you will have a platform to apply your scholarly knowledge and language skills to help researchers prepare manuscripts of the highest standard and further the cause of communicating global science.
Note: Since these are freelance positions, and NOT employment, job hours are flexible. Also, since we receive a huge number of applications, we get back to only shortlisted applicants.