Cactus Communications (www.cactusglobal.com) is a pioneer in language services, serving more than 47,000 clients across 112 countries. In line with its mission—growth through effective communication—CACTUS offers specialist academic editing, medical communications, publication support, transcription, translation, and training services to individuals and corporations across sectors such as academia, publishing, and pharmaceuticals.
We are currently looking for experienced editors to work with us on a freelance basis for our English-language academic copyediting and substantive editing services.
Here’s what you need to become a CACTUS Freelance Editor
- Exceptional command of the English language: grammar, punctuation, and idiomatic expressions
- At least two years of experience in editing scientific manuscripts
- Expertise in one or more of the following subjects:
Engineering (electronics, telecommunications, mechanical, civil, biomedical), Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Food Chemistry, Metallurgy, Nanomaterials, Biomaterials, Materials Engineering, General Computer Science, Mathematics, Environmental Science, Energy, Physics, Nuclear Physics, Optics, Quantum/Atomic Physics, Medical Physics, Earth Sciences, Atmospheric Science, Cardiology, Sports Medicine, Orthopedics, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Plastic Surgery, Anatomy, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Cancer Research – Chemoradiotherapy, Radiotherapy, Endocrinology, Pathology, Emergency and Critical Care, Nutrition and Dietetics, Nursing, Physiology, Systems Biology, Embryology and Reproductive Biology, Food Science, Forensic Science, Medical Laboratory Technology, Structural Biology, Neurosurgery, Neuroimaging, Plant and Animal Biotechnology, Plant Genetics, Animal Genetics, Marine Biology, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Pharmacology/Pharmaceutics, Drug Design/Development, Pharmacognosy, Traditional/Alternative Medicine, Dentistry, Surgery/Anesthesiology, Ophthalmology, Radiology, Veterinary Sciences, ENT/Otolaryngology, Complementary and Alternative Medicine
One or more of the following are preferred:
- A doctoral degree, preferably with postdoctoral experience
- Experience in academic writing/editing, publishing, and scientific communications
- Experience in working with ESL (English as a second language) authors and their written materials
- Familiarity with the style and conventions followed in scholarly writing
Why work with us?
Becoming a CACTUS Freelance Editor will provide you with a platform to apply your scholarly knowledge and English-language skills. Our rigorous recruitment process ensures that we select only the best editors. Our managing editors, reviewers, and trainers dedicate quality time to ensure that once on-board, our freelance editors receive all the information and support they need.
- We screen your CV/resume and check whether your profile meets our requirements
- We ask you to take a short editing test
- You hear from us within one week of submitting your completed test
- If selected, we sign a contract and confidentiality agreement with you
- Once the paperwork is done, you’re on-board and we’re set to go!
Note: Since these are freelance positions, and NOT employment, job hours are flexible.