Cactus Communications (www.cactusglobal.com) is a pioneer in language services, serving more than 43,000 clients across 107 countries. In line with its mission—growth through effective communication—CACTUS offers specialist academic editing, medical communications, publication support, transcription, translation, and training services to individuals and corporations across sectors such as academia, publishing, and pharmaceuticals.
Leverage your scientific knowledge and professional experience to carve out a career as a freelance academic translator with Cactus Communications. Join our global (in-house & telecommute) team that includes 700+ doctors, engineers, PhDs, post-docs, peer reviewers, BELS-certified editors, and researchers from across the science spectrum, all with one common passion—effective science communication.
We are looking for experienced Japanese, Korean, Brazilian Portuguese and Chinese translators to work on academic manuscripts written in the languages stated above. To qualify, you must have technical expertise in your field. Experience working in a foreign-language setting will be preferred. Essentially, your work will involve translating academic research papers from Japanese/Korean/Chinese/Brazilian Portuguese into English.
Your role will involve
- Reading through academic manuscripts written in Japanese/Korean/Brazilian Portuguese and Chinese and rewriting it in the target language, ensuring that the meaning of the source text is retained
- Using specialist dictionaries, thesauruses and reference books to find the closest equivalents for terminology and words used
- Using appropriate software for presentation and delivery
- Researching legal, technical and scientific phraseology to find the correct translation
- Proofreading and editing final translated versions
- Providing clients with a grammatically correct, well-expressed final version of the translated text, usually as a word-processed document
- Using the Internet and email as research tools throughout the translation process
- Managing your time well to meet deadlines
Here’s what you need to become a freelance translator with CACTUS
- Proficiency in Japanese/Korean/Chinese/Brazilian Portuguese and English (essential)
- An understanding and knowledge of technical terminology as expressed in Japanese/Korean/Brazilian Portuguese and Chinese as well as in English (highly preferred)
- Expertise/an advanced degree in any of the following fields: Engineering (all disciplines), Technology, Environmental Science, Energy, Sustainability, Earth Science, Planetary Science, Atmospheric Science, Physics, Optics, Medicine, Pharmaceuticals, Robotics, Dentistry/Orthodontics, Psychology, Economics, and Statistics
- Relevant certification or training, e.g., MA in translation studies (preferred)
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in Japanese/Korean/Brazilian Portuguese and Chinese to English translation
- Familiarity with Microsoft Word
- Good time management skills (you will be required to work on deadlines)
Our selection process involves a short sample exercise.
Indeed - 12 months ago