Cactus Club Cafe

Cactus Club Cafe Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun work environment, great people to surround yourself with. Everyday is different and presents new challenges.
Senior Manager (Current Employee), Edmonton/CalgaryAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Working with people my age in a fun enthusiastic environment.
Cons: Long hours, nights, weekends and away from my family.
I learnt the complete operation of a 13 million dollar a year business.

Developed great communication and people skills. Highly experienced in customer service and guest relations. Built relationships with guest including some of the most influential people in Alberta.

Lead, motivated and trained large team of employees and built solid relationships along the way. Development of junior managers and shift leaders as well as recruiting, hiring and training new managers.
Cactus club is amazing place to work. Everyone is a little family and my day is enjoyable because I can give guests an amazing experience and service
Hostess (Current Employee), Calgary, AlbertaJuly 17, 2015
My typical day at work would be to set up the computer floor plan and also put in reservations. I would set up the reservations, check tables, polish cutlery, wipe down menus and books. Bathroom checks are done to insurance cleanliness. I would vacuum and make sure all tables are clean and restaurant it set up. It will be my job to coordinate the screen and distribute guests evenly through out the restaurant as well flip tables quickly. The management team is incredible and the co-workers are all a little family. I have been their for 6 years and I love it and I am extremely hard worker. The hardest part of the job is the heels. My feet are so bad from wearing them for 6 years, I need a change where I can wear practical shoes as I am in need of surgery sometime in the future because of the damage done. Everything is awesome about my job! I love it, just not the heels.
fun workplace
Cook (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJuly 3, 2015
I learned alot from being a cook, different dishes and recepies. the management was fun and always engaging. co-workers were fun to work with.
A supportive workplace that focuses on your growth, as well as fun.
Trainer (Former Employee), Saskatoon, SKJuly 2, 2015
Pros: fun workplace, flexible hours, compensation for hard work
I worked for Cactus Club Café on and off for almost ten years. There is a reason I kept coming back to them. It is extremely difficult to find another culture or work environment that can compare.

A typical work day included being excited to see your co-workers, happy to see returning customers, training and learning about exciting new products, company sponsored events such as dodgeball, barbeques etc.

One thing that stuck out to me was whenever I felt I had a problem or issue with something at work, there was always an accomplished manager who was supportive and willing to find solutions. A safe work environment makes a huge difference in employee happiness.
Fast paced and fun.
Sous Chef (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCMarch 24, 2015
Live your restaurant dreams in a fast paced work environment.
Be passionate and strive for excellence. and you will make it past the restrictive wages.
Great work environment
Sous Chef (Former Employee), North VancouverFebruary 24, 2015
My job at Cactus Club Cafe was fun and an excellent learning experience. They taught me a lot in the food industry. The managemet was well organized and helped me excell into the chef I am today
Great Work Enviroment, with fun people and a positive atmosphere
Dishwasher (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: good staff discount, team building
Cons: late nights(expected)
Some hard work but any work done is always noticed and management sees hard work. Very active management team. Opportunity for advancement makes the job fun and enjoyable to stive for more.
Such a Fabulous Company
GENERAL MANAGER (Former Employee), Vancouver AreaOctober 27, 2014
Pros: room to grow and advance
Cons: have to work nights once in awhile
great great company to work for, tones of support from really knowledgeable upper management with great integrity. the company is growing at a very fast rate so lots of opportunity coming down the pike.
Fun working environment
Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, ABOctober 6, 2014
Pros: fun people to work with
Cons: hours can be tiring
Great place to work and develop social skills. Good atmosphere where you can meet lots of people from all walks of life. Learned how to handle customer complaints and how to balance co-worker needs to company needs.
The best casual fine dinning restaurant in North America
Server/Shift Leader (Former Employee), Calgary, AlbertaAugust 26, 2014
Dealing with happy customers and learning how to create happy customers. Great supportive management team and business partners.
LINE COOK (Former Employee), Coquitlam, BCJune 6, 2014
Pros: people, hours, learning new things
Cons: n/a
Cactus Club Cafe is rated the fourth best company to work for with over one hundred employees. Always had a great time at work starting anywhere from 12 o'clock to 6 and working anywhere from 8 to 10 hour days. The management team was always in a fantastic mood and had no trouble helping fellow employees. The environment was always friendly and people loved to be at work. I learnt a wide variety of different dishes which helped progress my knowledge of the culinary industry. The most enjoyable part of my job while working there would have to be the people as everyone were willing to lend a hand or teach you something new which brightened the overall atmosphere.
Fun
Kitchen partner (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCApril 21, 2014
Pros: good food
Cons: exhausting
Nice people, I like the energy between the people that feeling of rush and getting things done by the minute. I learned to be aware of many things at the same time, you know keeping the ears open at the same time focusing on the specific task and looking around for some future demands, being smart by noticing what would be more efficient to get the same result faster etc.. The hardest part of this job is honestly endurance. being on my feet 24/ 7 running left and right carrying loads of kitchen tools, keeping up to speed.
Productive place with a young crowd
Annonymous (Current Employee), AnnonymousApril 16, 2014
Pros: great tips
Cons: late nights
Cactus Club was a great place to work. The tips were great and the staff were, for the most part, hard working. The managers took the time to ensure that everyone performed to their best abilities. Job advancement was a plus, placing hard work over seniority.

Hardest part of the job were the late nights and loud music. The vibe works for the environment, but not a scene for everyone. The crowd could be hit or miss, and the conversations can be quite upsetting. A lot of men there for the pretty girls.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the interaction with great guests. Most of the people were exceptional to talk to and work with.
Fun and fast paced enviroment
Server/Bartender (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 14, 2014
Pros: 50% off food, you get to work with your best friends
Cons: never knowing an end time
-Starts of steady and escalates to a busy but productive day.
-I have learned that patience is key in this industry and when the customer leaves happy you know you have done your job well.
-Management is understanding an very helpful when is comes to anything to do with their staff. They are a little disorganized at times but i feel as if that happens in any work place.
-The ladies and gentlemen that work there make it feel like a second home, they've always got your back.
-Names! Faces change frequently in the business so that can be a difficult part of the job
-The people you meet, they're are always characters when you serve and that is one of the best parts of the job
Good place to start for any cooks or servers
Dishwasher (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCMay 1, 2013
Pros: 50% off food on work days, free drinks (non-alcoholic), resturants always in need of work.
Cons: busy hours and early cut times.
Easy to get hired on washing dishes, but working to gain promotion requires stamina and full time hours.
Work is hard and monotonous and fast-paced when busy
This Job has taught me to be assertive and responsible.
excellent job to work at. They really try hard to keep themselves in the top 50 places to work in BC
Expeditor/Barback (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCFebruary 17, 2013
Pros: free meals and great tips
Cons: during a dead morning shift you had niothing to do.
I loved this job. everyone worked so well together even on a busy saturday night. working the bar back i would usually start around 9 am or 6pm and work till closing around 1am. all night i was stocking booze in the front so the bar team didn't have to go get it themselves. changing kegs at first was the hardest part but after a couple it gets so easy. the tips were also awesome, i walked away with 2.5% of whatever the bar top made.
Fun work place and provides good management
Hostess/Expeditor (Current Employee), Calgary, albertaNovember 18, 2012
Pros: half off food
I would go to work and everyone would be friendly and all of us co workers would be friendly and get along and have a good time, i've learned throughout my experience with cactus how to engage people more and how to really get to talk to people and pay attention to detail. The management was really good and you have the chance to advance within the company if you chose so. The hardest part of the job is to wear heels for 8 hours straight and the most enjoyable is getting to know people you meet within the restaurant and the customers.
n/a
General Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABOctober 25, 2012
Cactus is a great company to work for. The training is some of the best you will see.