Cactus Club Cafe Employee Reviews

I love working for The Cactus Club, great work environment especially for students who go to school and work on weekends.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 26, 2016
Everyone who I work with are fun, and positive. We all support each other to get jobs done to the best of our ability! Management was great, but it was very hard to move up into serving starting off as a hostess.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Hard to move up into serving.
I met funny, positive people and was able to have a work-life balance
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 22, 2016
I met many interesting people, who I could learn from. Also, outdoor sport activities are my lifestyle. Cactus' managers respected it, and accommodated it as much as they could.
Pros
Eating delicicous food for half of the price
Cons
I couldn't move up as quick as I thought I would, they could not accommodate my work schedule with my studies at BCIT
Productive workplace.
Dishwasher / Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 20, 2016
As one of Canada’s fastest growing restaurant, I had the chance of developing my skills and potential.
Work environment with fun, friendly.
The most enjoyable parts would include; amazing people, rewarding work and delicious food.
Your standard mid end restaurant franchise
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABSeptember 8, 2016
Work here if you want to get overworked with little regard to how you're treated. As a cook most of us are used to brutal hours and conditions but this place took the cake. This is one of those restaurants where people work for free to even achieve their basic job duties, and there is a culture of taking advantage of their employees. Not only that, I witnessed very shady firing practices in my tenure there.

If there is a reason to work there it is the people on the ground, some of the most fun individuals I have met here. Most of their chefs are sourced within the company from the cooks and there is actual upwards mobility if you are part of the clique. If you're not, good luck.

Their wages are actually some of the fairest I have seen though, so if you're all about money and don't mind getting involved in politics, you might like the place.
Decent work life balance, great hours, steady schedule, wonderful co-workers.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABAugust 26, 2016
As a manager, my shifts were 9 hours with minimal if any breaks. But the fast pace and friendly staff create an atmosphere where time moves quick enough that you usually don't need to sit for long. Management was good.
Fun employees tow ork with, junior management and limited forward movement
Shift Leader, Bartender (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJuly 21, 2016
Learning is self driven, and often not very rewarding.
Management is overall fairly junior
The most enjoyable part of the job is the staff you work with
Pros
Fun staff, discounted food
Cons
Inexperienced management
Great work environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2016
Great learning environment. Lots of opportunities to grow and advance. Very well qualified supervisory staff. Everyone is treated equally and given plenty of opportunity to learn
Productive and Fun work place.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 17, 2016
Great management team, and well-trained staff members who are very friendly and work oriented. Everyone is focused at whatever task is assigned and work as a team to get things done.
Fast paced place to work in with phenomenal growth potential
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 17, 2016
The management team is very helpful and flexible with regards to assisting with both customers and coworkers. The most enjoyable part of being an expeditor is probably the rush that comes with perfecting your skills and providing excellent service everyday. It takes a lot of patience and practice to learn how to expedite well, but you have a lot of support from your coworkers and managers every step of the way. There will definitely be growth, and you will be pushed to work hard, but you definitely grow and learn from every experience.
Pros
Young, fast paced environment, lots of opportunity to grow
Cons
Inadequate hours for full-time employment
CCC Jasper
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMay 1, 2016
I was really looking forward to working here, but as the months continued on it wasn't quite what I had expected. People there were so clicky due to the fact they have been there since it opened a couple years ago. I had troubles making friends and it wasn't enjoyable for me. Decided it wasn't for me and started focusing on school
Pros
Management was accommodating
Cons
People were mean
Cactus Club Cafe - My experience
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 21, 2016
My experience at Cactus Club was fantastic. Unfortunately due to my heavy school schedule and the type of schooling I am doing, it became too taxing on my body.

Cactus Club has the best training experience ever. They really do help and foster you as a cook in the kitchen. There are numerous opportunities for you to move up in the chain of command. It really is an amazing workplace.

For me, I was just interested in part-time work. However, they would often give me 10 hour shifts which is honestly a lot. If I was not in school full time and I was working at Cactus Club, I think it would be a fantastic job.
Pros
amazing training, great management, able to move up chain of command, respect
Cons
Great place to learn valuable skills in the food and beverage industry.
Bartender (Current Employee) –  Delta, BCNovember 26, 2015
Cactus club is a great company to work for and grow in. I have worked there for nine years now and still love everyday. The level of training you receive in every area is impeccable. I would advise anyone wanting to learn and grow in the restaurant industry to go work there.
greeting customers
Prep/Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCOctober 12, 2015
Greet customers as they come to your till. scan food, make the customers feel appreciated. be fast and efficient. do a walk through around your till make sure it is clean and no baskets are laying around.
Pros
nice break times
Cons
standing on feet for long hours
Good place to work for pretty people
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCSeptember 16, 2015
The job itself is great.
Besides being underpaid and somewhat poorly trained, I loved working at Cactus and would again.
The sous chefs truly care about their staff, as do the regional chefs and head chef.
Cactus Club is one of the greatest establishments to work at for two main reasons
-The management is phenomenal
-They use the best of the best foods
Pros
50% off days worked. $500 cash bonus if you referred a new employee
Cons
10 hr shifts, lucky to get your 15 minute break. You got to look a certain way, otherwise you could get sent home.
Fast paced work environment with a fun based staff.
Server (Former Employee) –  Langley, BCAugust 18, 2015
Was in an environment that enabled me to push myself to be better in order to move up through the company. Was surrounded by like minded people who were thriving to do the same.
Fun work environment, great people to surround yourself with. Everyday is different and presents new challenges.
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton/CalgaryAugust 4, 2015
I learnt the complete operation of a 13 million dollar a year business.

Developed great communication and people skills. Highly experienced in customer service and guest relations. Built relationships with guest including some of the most influential people in Alberta.

Lead, motivated and trained large team of employees and built solid relationships along the way. Development of junior managers and shift leaders as well as recruiting, hiring and training new managers.
Pros
Working with people my age in a fun enthusiastic environment.
Cons
Long hours, nights, weekends and away from my family.
Cactus club is amazing place to work. Everyone is a little family and my day is enjoyable because I can give guests an amazing experience and service
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AlbertaJuly 17, 2015
My typical day at work would be to set up the computer floor plan and also put in reservations. I would set up the reservations, check tables, polish cutlery, wipe down menus and books. Bathroom checks are done to insurance cleanliness. I would vacuum and make sure all tables are clean and restaurant it set up. It will be my job to coordinate the screen and distribute guests evenly through out the restaurant as well flip tables quickly. The management team is incredible and the co-workers are all a little family. I have been their for 6 years and I love it and I am extremely hard worker. The hardest part of the job is the heels. My feet are so bad from wearing them for 6 years, I need a change where I can wear practical shoes as I am in need of surgery sometime in the future because of the damage done. Everything is awesome about my job! I love it, just not the heels.
fun workplace
Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 3, 2015
I learned alot from being a cook, different dishes and recepies. the management was fun and always engaging. co-workers were fun to work with.
A supportive workplace that focuses on your growth, as well as fun.
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKJuly 2, 2015
I worked for Cactus Club Café on and off for almost ten years. There is a reason I kept coming back to them. It is extremely difficult to find another culture or work environment that can compare.

A typical work day included being excited to see your co-workers, happy to see returning customers, training and learning about exciting new products, company sponsored events such as dodgeball, barbeques etc.

One thing that stuck out to me was whenever I felt I had a problem or issue with something at work, there was always an accomplished manager who was supportive and willing to find solutions. A safe work environment makes a huge difference in employee happiness.
Pros
fun workplace, flexible hours, compensation for hard work
Fast paced and fun.
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMarch 24, 2015
Live your restaurant dreams in a fast paced work environment.
Be passionate and strive for excellence. and you will make it past the restrictive wages.

4.2