Cactus Club Cafe Employee Reviews

Productive and fun work environment.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 June 2017
Great team of staff, amazing management with dedication to train each staff individually and bring the best out of you every shift. Fair wages and opportunity to move forward.
Fun Place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC14 June 2017
I worked at cactus for almost 2 years as a line cook and while I did love it when i first started i think that you become less appreciated after a while but you get stuck with more and more responsibilities without recognition. Basically if you're considered always good at your job they don't appreciate anything you do for them because that's what is expected from you. Other than being underappreciated, i think it teaches you a lot of life skills like standards and work habits and respect. i have learned so much from the company and their core values i do recommend this as a workplace but the fast paced environment isnt for everyone.
Pros
great people, staff discount and sometimes gift certificates, fun staff parties
Cons
long hours, low pay for what you do, when understaffed you are worked to the bone
Cactus Club Management
Junior Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 June 2017
Cactus is a great company to work for if you work under the right senior management. As a manager, the workload is extremely large and exhausting but the pay is good for an entry level position. If you put in a lot of hours, the opportunity to move up is there.
Pros
Great people to work with, room for growth
Cons
Long hours, no flexibility
I loved it my favourite job so far
Prep Cook and line cook (Former Employee) –  Park Royal, BC13 June 2017
Loved the in ironing, the team work, the professionalism. Just the right amount of friends and work, I really learned a lot here. Though the hours are insane.
Pros
Awesome food, great friends, chances to advance
Cons
Fun and very fast paced environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC13 June 2017
Super awesome place to star your career at the line. They train you well and everyone helps you at the beginning. The line is well organized and the dishes look great. Nice place to get consistency
Prodcuctive and fun place to work.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  North Vancouver5 June 2017
Great place, this was the first Cactus club so it has alot of history. Great leaders and wonderful regular guests. Management always had time to make me feel welcomed.
Extremely fast paced, a real fun company to work with
Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 May 2017
Typically the start of the shift is rough as you need to take over from the previous line cooks. Hardest part of the job would be the closing as it takes multiple hours (using leaving around 3-4:30am) but everyone in the kitchen helps each station close which makes it faster and more enjoyable. Cactus has an amazing workplace culture, everyone I've met there I have enjoyed working with.
Pros
Good amount of hours, nice co-workers
Cons
Long hours, sometimes would not get breaks
Fun Workplace
Line Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 May 2017
the entire Cactus Club cafe team was incredible to work with. The management team was there to help and make you grow without you asking and they had quality at the top of there list
Productive workplace
Hostess and Busser (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2017
A typical day at work was a positive experience. I learned how to work with other people and communicate effectively. I also learned how to do more than one task at a time and be more efficient. The culture of the workplace feels like going to a club, not like going to work. The hardest part of the job was trying to please customers during busy hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people that I worked with.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Long Hours
Depends on the Chef
Kitchen Partner (Former Employee) –  Delta, BC3 May 2017
Cactus Club Cafe is a great place to work, but it really depends on the chef that you have, and the management team that is present. Unfortunately the head chef at the cactus i worked at was an absolute nightmare. He was extremely unprofessional and was never around when you needed him. Overall Cactus was a nice experience and I would recommend it as an entrance into the culinary world, but unless you want to veer away from the culinary side and move towards people management and business management, I would stay away.
Pros
Great people, positive environment
Cons
Terrible management
Hostess (Current Employee) –  West Edmonton Mall, AB1 May 2017
Good hours. Great people to work with. Awesome time. A typical day at work is fast-paced and fun. I learned to move quickly and give customers a quality high-end experience. Management are incredibly helpful and always willing to work through any problems you have, and co-workers are friendly and accommodating.
Amazing
Closing Manager, Server (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC7 April 2017
Amazing manager. Great work enviroment. Amazing Staff. Extremely busy always fun and never hard at all. Great people. Great team. Great company to work for
Low Paying, Physically demanding,
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 April 2017
always kept me until 2am even without a ride home & no public transit running, sous chef offers rides home in exchange for late stays and never follows through, walked from DT to Valley Ridge, didn't get home until 5am and had to work at 12pm, Ripped off my tips and pay cheque constantly
Pros
nice kitchen staff
Cons
Everything else
Fun yet silly
Busser (Former Employee) –  Coal Harbour, BC1 April 2017
I really enjoyed my time at cactus, the problem arises when one bad apple seriously tarnishes the previous respect once had. Management tends not to care about you until you make big enough of a noise and they generally wont do anything to solve it just hide the problems.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long yet inconsistent hours
Ccc
Kitchen Partner (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC30 March 2017
Good vibe but HARDHARD work, promotion is hard for most people, and promises may always be delay. But happy to go to work to see nice people everyday.
Fun place to work
Hostess/Greeting guests/Reservations (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC22 March 2017
Working with friends, and tackling the lunch and dinner rushes. Making sure we coordinated tables properly to accommodate reservations later in the day or night. New challenges every day.
Restaurant Manager
Salary Front of House Manager/Bartender/Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC21 March 2017
What can I say. Always in the top 50 best managed companies in Canada, Continuously strive to make green table and ocean wise. Cactus Club in my eyes is the best company you could work for in this industry in the entirety of Canada, and even them some. From their execution to the love for their employees, its a perfectly oiled machine. Oh and the food is to absolutely die for.
Fun, High Energy, Artistic
Dishwasher / Prep (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC11 March 2017
Learned a lot about preparing food and commercial dishwashing
Conditioned to work under high stress and fast environments
Very high energy environment and staff
Management was very caring about their employees
Overall a great place to work and enjoyed the environment a lot
Pros
Great food, amazing people
Cons
Dishwashing was very gross at times
Competitive, dynamic, and an overall unpredictable environment
Server (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC11 February 2017
Working at Cactus Club Cafe has been an educational experience, and an interesting one overall. The most enjoyable part of my job I getting to interact with different types of people everyday. The culture is exciting and innovative.
Pros
working on my feet
Cons
Inconsistent scheduling and hours
Professional, exciting and fun place to work and hang out
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 February 2017
Management is outstanding at what they do, they handle the flow of the restaurant very well, which allows severs and bartenders to give optimal attention to there guests. They also provide us with training that goes above and beyond what most would consider good enough. Everyone that is hired and brought onto the team instantly feels like you've known everyone for years and team work is always present and encouraged. The hardest part of the job would be to remember all of the amazing clients that walk through our doors but after a few visits, it gets a little easier!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cactus Club Cafe. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2