Cactus Club Cafe Employee Reviews

Fast Pace, goal driven, excellence in quality.
SOUS CHEF (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC29 January 2017
-One of the fastest growing organization in Canada as of current, lots of opportunities to progress. If you enjoy working in a fast pace team environment and cooking/service as your passion definitely a company to work for. Great work life balance, salary is debatable as salary will differ with individuals experience and on the job productivity. Also as a manager, on the job training and annual seminar/conferences which happens quarterly is another great experience offered by the organization. If you are just starting and looking to progress in the industry, the level of training and knowledge offered at Cactus Club Cafe is one of the best in the industry.

-Really enjoyed working with people who are fun loving but serious about their career and the culture that is built around it.

-If you are looking for an opportunity to be great, Cactus Club Cafe is one of the best company to work for.

-If I didn't decide to change in field of study and career I would have definitely stayed with the company.
Pros
Working with passionate people
Great bosses, co-workers, and environment.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 January 2017
All around great place to work. The work life balance as a manager is bar none compared to other restaurants out there. The salary was decent, but the benefits were great. Would recommend this company to anyone seeking a career in the restaurant industry.
Your standard mid end restaurant franchise
Shift Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 September 2016
Work here if you want to get overworked with little regard to how you're treated. As a cook most of us are used to brutal hours and conditions but this place took the cake. This is one of those restaurants where people work for free to even achieve their basic job duties, and there is a culture of taking advantage of their employees. Not only that, I witnessed very shady firing practices in my tenure there.

If there is a reason to work there it is the people on the ground, some of the most fun individuals I have met here. Most of their chefs are sourced within the company from the cooks and there is actual upwards mobility if you are part of the clique. If you're not, good luck.

Their wages are actually some of the fairest I have seen though, so if you're all about money and don't mind getting involved in politics, you might like the place.
Fast paced place to work in with phenomenal growth potential
Expeditor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2016
The management team is very helpful and flexible with regards to assisting with both customers and coworkers. The most enjoyable part of being an expeditor is probably the rush that comes with perfecting your skills and providing excellent service everyday. It takes a lot of patience and practice to learn how to expedite well, but you have a lot of support from your coworkers and managers every step of the way. There will definitely be growth, and you will be pushed to work hard, but you definitely grow and learn from every experience.
Pros
Young, fast paced environment, lots of opportunity to grow
Cons
Inadequate hours for full-time employment
Productive workpace with great job culture
Line / Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB29 January 2017
I have learned how to work in the great team and culture, how to prepare different types of food from the menu, following carefully the recipes (salads, entrees etc.), weigh and measure ingredients for cooking, cook menu items in cooperation with the rest of the kitchen staff
I love working for The Cactus Club, great work environment especially for students who go to school and work on weekends.
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC26 September 2016
Everyone who I work with are fun, and positive. We all support each other to get jobs done to the best of our ability! Management was great, but it was very hard to move up into serving starting off as a hostess.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Hard to move up into serving.
Cactus Club Cafe - My experience
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 March 2016
My experience at Cactus Club was fantastic. Unfortunately due to my heavy school schedule and the type of schooling I am doing, it became too taxing on my body.

Cactus Club has the best training experience ever. They really do help and foster you as a cook in the kitchen. There are numerous opportunities for you to move up in the chain of command. It really is an amazing workplace.

For me, I was just interested in part-time work. However, they would often give me 10 hour shifts which is honestly a lot. If I was not in school full time and I was working at Cactus Club, I think it would be a fantastic job.
Pros
amazing training, great management, able to move up chain of command, respect
Fun
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 September 2016
A Typical day at work is smile on your face always! and welcoming customers and most importantly making customers feel amazing and to endure a amazing dining experience.
Pros
50 percent off meals
Cons
A supportive workplace that focuses on your growth, as well as fun.
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK2 July 2015
I worked for Cactus Club Café on and off for almost ten years. There is a reason I kept coming back to them. It is extremely difficult to find another culture or work environment that can compare.

A typical work day included being excited to see your co-workers, happy to see returning customers, training and learning about exciting new products, company sponsored events such as dodgeball, barbeques etc.

One thing that stuck out to me was whenever I felt I had a problem or issue with something at work, there was always an accomplished manager who was supportive and willing to find solutions. A safe work environment makes a huge difference in employee happiness.
Pros
fun workplace, flexible hours, compensation for hard work
Decent work life balance, great hours, steady schedule, wonderful co-workers.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 August 2016
As a manager, my shifts were 9 hours with minimal if any breaks. But the fast pace and friendly staff create an atmosphere where time moves quick enough that you usually don't need to sit for long. Management was good.
I met funny, positive people and was able to have a work-life balance
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 September 2016
I met many interesting people, who I could learn from. Also, outdoor sport activities are my lifestyle. Cactus' managers respected it, and accommodated it as much as they could.
Pros
Eating delicicous food for half of the price
Cons
I couldn't move up as quick as I thought I would, they could not accommodate my work schedule with my studies at BCIT
fun workplace
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 January 2017
Cactus Club Cafe is a great work place, they have wonderful costumers and even better employees, coming into cactus club youre always going to leave happy
Great place to start and a fun environment
Sous chef (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC10 January 2017
Steady and consistent
Always looking for oppurtunities to make everyone better
Learned how to manage people and develop
fun
HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC4 January 2017
such a fun staff to work with, you make a lot of close friends. fun work place and always busy. loved working there! staff was so fun
Fun employees tow ork with, junior management and limited forward movement
Shift Leader, Bartender (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC21 July 2016
Learning is self driven, and often not very rewarding.
Management is overall fairly junior
The most enjoyable part of the job is the staff you work with
Pros
Fun staff, discounted food
Cons
Inexperienced management
Productive workplace.
Dishwasher / Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC20 September 2016
As one of Canada’s fastest growing restaurant, I had the chance of developing my skills and potential.
Work environment with fun, friendly.
The most enjoyable parts would include; amazing people, rewarding work and delicious food.
CCC Jasper
Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 May 2016
I was really looking forward to working here, but as the months continued on it wasn't quite what I had expected. People there were so clicky due to the fact they have been there since it opened a couple years ago. I had troubles making friends and it wasn't enjoyable for me. Decided it wasn't for me and started focusing on school
Pros
Management was accommodating
Cons
People were mean
Great work environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 July 2016
Great learning environment. Lots of opportunities to grow and advance. Very well qualified supervisory staff. Everyone is treated equally and given plenty of opportunity to learn
Productive and Fun work place.
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC17 May 2016
Great management team, and well-trained staff members who are very friendly and work oriented. Everyone is focused at whatever task is assigned and work as a team to get things done.
Fun work environment, great people to surround yourself with. Everyday is different and presents new challenges.
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton/Calgary4 August 2015
I learnt the complete operation of a 13 million dollar a year business.

Developed great communication and people skills. Highly experienced in customer service and guest relations. Built relationships with guest including some of the most influential people in Alberta.

Lead, motivated and trained large team of employees and built solid relationships along the way. Development of junior managers and shift leaders as well as recruiting, hiring and training new managers.
Pros
Working with people my age in a fun enthusiastic environment.
Cons
Long hours, nights, weekends and away from my family.

4.2