Cabot Corporation

Cabot Corporation Employee Reviews

Management issues
employee (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsSeptember 26, 2015
A typical work day is spent chasing around what its corporate office wants---and there is no questioning them. Collaboration is non-existent in many areas, with individual skills existing in a vacuous environment. Cabot is a reactive not proactive company when it comes to investing in their people. Promotions and the limited training they have are catered to building its external image and gaining positive employer ratings. Lastly, unlike most companies today, bonuses only apply to management, especially its executive team.
Production minded work flow.
Packer (Current Employee) –  Pampa, TXSeptember 24, 2015
A typical day is either being bored out of your mind or work at a very fast pace. You could have 20 things that need to be accomplished in an hour to having 0 things to do all twelve hours. I have tried to become more proficient at time management. The management here is alright. My crew we all work as a team, so this is good. The hardest part of the job is not having enough people to do the job. This company follows the less is more style of tactics. The most enjoyable part of the job is the days off.
Pros
Healthcare, overtime
Cons
Overtime all the time.
probably would not go back if ask
Production Finishing Operator (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXDecember 20, 2015
Each day you were extremely dirty and it was unavoidable. The pay was great and some of the job duties were easy. In the end they laid off a lot of people for poor financial decisions.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
extremely dirty job
stimulating work place
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Billerica, MAOctober 20, 2015
Setting up and building new process development assemblies. Applying electronic-data collection and interpretation.
I was able to improve my understanding of LabView programming, learned JMP software, executing DOE for multiple experiments.
Pros
Training, co-workers, benefits
Cons
Not competitive wages
High-pressure workplace
Finance Manager - Purification Solutions (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXNovember 2, 2015
Managed entirely from Corporate. Lots of politics and posturing for appearances with no accountability for results at the top. Financial games lead to misleading financial results. Systems are obsolete and inadequate. Not a good place to work.
small family plant atmosphere
Plant Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pryor, OKApril 17, 2016
Cabot has a family environment that is casual and easy to work within. We are a small group that has overlapping duties. It is challenging but rewarding.
Good company to work for competitive salary and good benefits
La. - Quality Assurance Tech (Current Employee) –  Franklin, LANovember 2, 2015
Typical day involves a twelve hour rotating shift with four crews working four days then off four day. After four days off the day crew switches to nights with the night crew switching to days.
Chemical company with a strong commitment to the safety of the environments and employees.
Buyer (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAAugust 2, 2015
Working for Cabot has allowed me to develop the skills and knowledge I possess today to be a successful Buyer. Management provides ongoing support and guidance. Overall culture is positive and nurturing.
Pros
Team building activities, paid tuition, amazing medical insurance benefits
Cons
Occasionally balance between work and life are affected due to unexpected increase in workload.
Company in layoff phase now
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Marshall, TXOctober 12, 2015
Supportive management but company having problems. They are currently laying people off due to hard times. They have treated me fair.
Pros
Good people there
Cons
They are laying off people now
Balance between work & family
Head of Corporate Strategy & Business Development (Current Employee) –  Jakarta, IndonesiaSeptember 20, 2015
Its a good company to have balance between family and work time. Although everyday is a challenge and learn new things, however if you work effectively the award is given to you
Great Pay and Benefits
PRoduction Associate (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAJune 2, 2015
I worked at their production plant since 2008. Very busy and friendly environment when theres jobs. The company says they invest in their employees and help them grow in the company but not so much when me amd a couple other individuals that worked their as long as i have. I applied for multiple positions within the company to advance my skills but they ended up hiring someone from the outside. Would only go back if they hired me direct thru the company and up my pay rate to $40 per hour. Wasted 5 years of my life there.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Dirty, unstable, temp job
package carbon black
Packer/Shipper (Current Employee) –  Pampa, TXSeptember 3, 2015
Just a job, morale is low and I am told it has been for years. work schedule is long and being on call while on a long off is not a plus.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
not being able to actually work the said schedule
great place to work
credit and collections (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GASeptember 8, 2015
fun place to work, group lunches, and casual business attire. paid holidays. Big company that cares about its employees and growth.
Pros
great management
Cons
sometimes overlooked
Duties & Responsibilities
WAREHOUSE SHIPPING SUPERVISOR/FOREMAN (Former Employee) –  Centerville, LouisianaMay 1, 2015
•Manager of a team in support of all manufacturing processes.
•Supports and trains Group Leaders/Team Members in all essential functions and skill sets as required effectively operating and continually improving their processes.
•Responsible for the work flow in their area of operation. Leads the team in safe and effective execution of production plans using a structured lean work and management system.
•This includes leading effective response to abnormal conditions, leading problem-solving activities to obtain sustainable standards, and supporting continuous improvement efforts in their area.
Good Benefits and Some Good People
Senior Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MAApril 8, 2015
The best part about Cabot were the benefits. The work was dull and a few of the people ruined the feeling of it being a good place to work. I would only recommend Cabot to people who are willing to deal with the hierarchy and really really really want to work with materials.
Transportation Specialist
Transportation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAJanuary 7, 2015
 Assist members of the Transportation Team in acquiring freight rates and booking shipments with carriers
 Ensure that there is a current freight rate entered in JD Edwards for all upcoming shipments
 Review daily Order Reports to identify new shipments and changes made to delivery times or locations of current shipments
 Maintain good relationships with carriers and coworkers in order to deliver excellent customer service
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
work over time often.
perfect work-life balance
Cost and Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  haasrodeFebruary 23, 2015
The Haasrode office was very close and reachable by bus and bike. The company advocated for work-life balance. Great pay and with lunch vouchers. Too bad they are closing down but definitely a good company to work with.
A firm full of energized and smart people. Great place to learn.
Applications Support & Corporate Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MANovember 4, 2015
Cabot is a leading specialty chemical and materials firm. As such, it is highly dependent upon the "value add" proposition gaining traction to the customer. This business model, when applied universally, translates to better margins especially in growth markets seeking more efficient product solutions. However, in a stagnant World economy as we are currently experiencing, customer decisions shift to overweight economics compared to value. This paradigm will over time lead to purchasing decisions being viewed as more commodity based especially in price sensitive markets such as energy.

In a Technically based Sales function, proving the efficacy of one product versus the other is difficult. Especially when the customer views minor points of differentiation between your offered material and the competitors product as minor and has data to prove it. It becomes a price and service competition with price being the key entry and decision point. We struggled to compete on price as it ran counter to our business model. Unfortunately, the market does not discriminate toward models and eventually reaches equilibrium. This led to major conflicts internally culminating in Operational Cost cutting. This required massive lay offs.
Pros
Intelligent and experienced workforce, Open and helpful culture
Cons
Our protracted adherence to a faulty business model was discouraging.
carer advancement, flexible,
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GANovember 10, 2014
great company to work for, very flexible, works with you needs. interested in what you want to do in the future within the company. I have learned so much concerning controls.
Everyone works as a team. the recognize your accomplishments.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
more parelle moves than upward
Cabot -MA
Accounting (Former Employee) –  MASeptember 4, 2014
Cabot is one of those companies you either like or you don't. Corporate office is very political. It's an established company and old school. Lot of turnover among employees but also employees that have longevity there. Fair pay and benefits. Although I maintained contact with co-workers after I left, not a place I would recommend.
Pros
fair pay and benefits
Cons
poor management