Cabot Corporation Employee Reviews

Can not say anything bad about Cabot Corperation
Maintenance Mechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  Haverhill, MA11 July 2017
Great place to work, they closed the plant for a day and took us all to Fenway to enjoy a Red Sox game. Excellent Benefits Highest paid job i had ever had! I sure miss the people i worked with! Great bunch of guys & girls. The best foreman I had ever had!!!!
great place to work
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GA23 June 2017
Cabot was a great place to work. The indeed had work life balance with flexible hours. Unfortunatly, the company decided to outsource some departments overseas.
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Boston, MA17 June 2017
Great, collaborative, atmosphere and knowledgeable people. Recent turnover at the CEO level, that has been definitely for the better. New CEO is visionary and, I believe has the right skill set and vision to keep the Company growing.
Pros
Great leadership team, collaborative, multinational environment
Great place
HOUSEKEEPER (Former Employee) –  Ville Platte, LA29 May 2017
it was a nice place to work. Everyone is friendly and willing to help. They believe in teamwork and give positive feedback on all work and attempt to work.
Lacking structure
Senior Drilling and Completion Fluids Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen City16 May 2017
An decent enough company which do invest in their employees and engage with customers. Lacking in structure though and their management / HR is not what is should be.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Get rid of staff when things get tough
Best Company I have worked for
Sr. Applications Development Coordinator (Former Employee) –  BILLERICA, MA16 April 2017
I always looked forward to coming to work because every day was never the same. Workload was always heavy and I constantly learned new skills. Great sense of team work in every department and overall when I first started in 2004, people were very happy.
Sadly as management made more and more bad financial decisions and an atrocious unbalance in spending I saw some of the hardest working and most valuable employees laid off. Very sad.
Through it all, I think Management's intent is to continuously uphold the great company it has always been.
Pros
Very pro-employee benefits. Respect in the workplace.
Cons
Management favoritism
Great company with good benefits
Mailroom Supervisor /Shipper (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA2 February 2017
Great work place environment, where employees are shown a great of respect regardless what level you are level in the organisation. Clean, pleasant, friendly culture.
production company
Heavy Equipment Mechanic/Millwright (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TX21 December 2016
Allowed to work up and learn new things to develop skills. Able to work with a team of highly trained millwrights and large company.
Company allowed us to cross train and become well rounded associate.
Pros
Great benefits and allowed to work overtime.
Cons
Company sold many times.
Stable, no rocking the boat
Sr. Plant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Ville Platte, LA17 December 2016
OK company, doesn't do anything without months of review. Fairly bureaucratic from the top down. If you want to work at a place that is slow moving, this would be a good place.
Cabot has the vision to invest in welfare and training of their people at all levels
Engineering and Technical Manager (Former Employee) –  Cabot Barry U.K15 December 2016
A great place to work for .You have been valued as a person at any level in the organisation . The company is looking after the welfare of the individual ie you are not a number and you have been listened to.
The company allocates a substantial budget for training the individuals in both technical and the soft-skill .The opportunity for promotion is also available for the right candidates both in UK or overseas within the Cabot Corporation.
I was sad to leave the workforce and the company when I retired from my job.
Pros
Open door policy and support from the management
shipping clerk (Former Employee) –  Centerville, LA26 June 2016
Unless you fit in with the click or do non company things you will not work there. I worked there for almost 2 years and trust me Cabot is not all what it seems. I did not my work to the best of ability and was not enough,
Great company with good benefits. People are very nice
Sr. Admin Coordinator/Facilities and SH&E Manager (Former Employee) –  Billerica, MA15 June 2016
Cabot is a great company to work for. My skills were utilized and I felt challenged everyday.

The people made the job enjoyable. All levels interact directly and there is advancement available in most departments.

I learned more about Accounts Payable at Cabot which put me in a "super users" category using the JD Edwards finance system. With this knowledge I was able to train new employees on the system and help when needed.

The hardest part of the job was the inconsistent workload.

Event planning was also a job task that I enjoyed. Several times/year there were large meetings and events planned at our site that required customization and attention to details. This was the "fun" part of my job.
Pros
Benefits/Compensation
small family plant atmosphere
Plant Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pryor, OK17 April 2016
Cabot has a family environment that is casual and easy to work within. We are a small group that has overlapping duties. It is challenging but rewarding.
long hours, good product, competitive market, great customer relationships.
region sales (Current Employee) –  Western states7 January 2016
Overnight travel 50% large region, 25-30% administrative work, Selling premium product in a very price competitive market. Good customer relationships.
Pros
good benefits good people reasonable about expenses and entertaining.
Cons
highly competitive environment
probably would not go back if ask
Production Finishing Operator (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TX20 December 2015
Each day you were extremely dirty and it was unavoidable. The pay was great and some of the job duties were easy. In the end they laid off a lot of people for poor financial decisions.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
extremely dirty job
A firm full of energized and smart people. Great place to learn.
Applications Support & Corporate Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MA4 November 2015
Cabot is a leading specialty chemical and materials firm. As such, it is highly dependent upon the "value add" proposition gaining traction to the customer. This business model, when applied universally, translates to better margins especially in growth markets seeking more efficient product solutions. However, in a stagnant World economy as we are currently experiencing, customer decisions shift to overweight economics compared to value. This paradigm will over time lead to purchasing decisions being viewed as more commodity based especially in price sensitive markets such as energy.

In a Technically based Sales function, proving the efficacy of one product versus the other is difficult. Especially when the customer views minor points of differentiation between your offered material and the competitors product as minor and has data to prove it. It becomes a price and service competition with price being the key entry and decision point. We struggled to compete on price as it ran counter to our business model. Unfortunately, the market does not discriminate toward models and eventually reaches equilibrium. This led to major conflicts internally culminating in Operational Cost cutting. This required massive lay offs.
Pros
Intelligent and experienced workforce, Open and helpful culture
Cons
Our protracted adherence to a faulty business model was discouraging.
High-pressure workplace
Finance Manager - Purification Solutions (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TX2 November 2015
Managed entirely from Corporate. Lots of politics and posturing for appearances with no accountability for results at the top. Financial games lead to misleading financial results. Systems are obsolete and inadequate. Not a good place to work.
Good company to work for competitive salary and good benefits
La. - Quality Assurance Tech (Current Employee) –  Franklin, LA2 November 2015
Typical day involves a twelve hour rotating shift with four crews working four days then off four day. After four days off the day crew switches to nights with the night crew switching to days.
stimulating work place
Senior Research Associate (Current Employee) –  Billerica, MA20 October 2015
Setting up and building new process development assemblies. Applying electronic-data collection and interpretation.
I was able to improve my understanding of LabView programming, learned JMP software, executing DOE for multiple experiments.
Pros
Training, co-workers, benefits
Cons
Not competitive wages
Company in layoff phase now
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Marshall, TX12 October 2015
Supportive management but company having problems. They are currently laying people off due to hard times. They have treated me fair.
Pros
Good people there
Cons
They are laying off people now

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabot Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9