Cabela's Inc.

Cabela's Inc. Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Disconnected Management
Outfitter-Sales (Former Employee), Hamburg, PennsylvaniaJanuary 26, 2014
Cons: disconnected management, low wage and high benefit costs.
The GM and management team is very disconnected. Training was, by far, the worst I received at any company I worked for. The trainer talks to you like you are a two year old. New HR is nothing more than a yes man and does not support the employees when they approach with a concern/issue.

Hours are being cut due to lack of sales so this tells you the – more... direction the company is headed. Rapid expansion, adding layers of additional regional managers and no direction at the store level is a recipe for disaster.

Now the company comes up with a Cabela's arbitration policy. Why not employ managers that are true managers. Then you would not be asking your employees to sign an arbitrtion agreement if they truly knew how to manage people.

If you aren't in the 30 year old club than you don't fit with this group of what they call managers.

Consider all options before working here. – less
Fluid management situation with lack of focus
Manager (Former Employee), Green Bay, WIJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: good associates. benefits. always busy.
Cons: bad senior management. over the top politically correctness. very fluid management situation.
Senior management team lacks focus on day to day business items. The focus is more on a high school pep rally mentality rather than on managing key items and initiatives. Often seem out of touch with basic principles of business operation. Operations side, which includes warehouse, front end, and deli has lost 4 out the 5 managers under the direction – more... of its' senior manager. Promotions are handled through a system of being part of the "good ol' boys club". Extremely politically correct atmosphere; no minor infractions allowed or tolerated unless done by senior management. Constant changes to existing procedures even those that are working very well. A lot of unnecessary daily items that take away from pressing issues and concerns. They love to walk departments everyday, but are more focused on pet projects than major or obvious concerns. Lots of long hours and the compensation is below average. Benefits are decent, but expensive. The associates are hard working and a lot of fun. They make it enjoyable, but fluid management situation is a cause for concern. Retail is a tough area, but Cabela's makes it even tougher. Great company, trained at other stores, but this particular store's senior management team gives the rest of the company a bad name. – less
Management needs a lot of work
Fraud Analyst III (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: great benefits, good pay and fun employees to work with.
Cons: management. see my review.
I worked in the call center in Lincoln, NE for two years. I started out really enjoying the job. It was a comfortable, family oriented work environment. If you had questions you felt comfortable asking your manager for help. If you needed days off they were very flexible working with you, weather it be for school or personal reasons. After the manager – more... quit and they brought on 3 new managers about a year later is where it went down hill. The managers were power hungry. If they felt an employee was not doing things the correct way, they would have you move your seat right next to their office for 3 weeks so they could observe you. They did not coach you and tell you how to correct the mistake, instead they made an example out of you. They treated the whole department like a 2nd grade classroom. We were not allowed to leave our seats to ask questions to other employees. If we were away from our desk a manger was quick to tell us to get back on the phones (even if we were in a personal idle). Whenever employees had questions for the mangers they were no where to be found. Or if you did find one they would more often then not tell you to come back at a later time or they would not give you an answer to your question. Managers also had multiple complaints brought against them for how they were treating employees. One key complaint that kept arising was race. Supervisors were quick to overlook these complaints brought up and told employees “We will have a talk with them, but right now its best to move on”. I’ve never been a manager with any company, but in my eyes this was handled about as poorly as one could think. At least 13 people I knew that worked at Cabeals Call Center quit due to management. I do hope Cabelas corrects this. I wish them the best. But if you are looking at this job, please take this review to heart. – less
retail
Sales Outfitter (Former Employee), Verdi, NVJanuary 21, 2014
Great company but lacking on hours to give employees. tends to hire temps to take the extra hours
Fun workplace, great environment
CLUB Booth Outfitter (Former Employee), Thornton, COJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: great hours, pay, team-building activities
Cons: sometimes communication between department members was lacking
Cabela's is a wonderful, family-oriented company that was a lot of fun to work for. My coworkers were fantastic and we always had a great time while working together. Management was supportive, and always readily available.
Customer Service
Customer Service Representative II (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEJanuary 9, 2014
A typical workday would involve handling phone calls from typically aggravated customers for at least a 5 hours a shift. Although the pay was decent and the immediate management were very kind, overall the job was monotonous. I learned a lot about patience and biting my tongue from this job. It is in an office setting where you will be required to sit – more... still in one spot, typing and talking for hours at a time – less
Excellent Team
Firearms Lead Outfitter (Current Employee), Allen, TXJanuary 9, 2014
Loved working with the people at the gun counter and ATF compliance.
Productive and interesting place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Kearney, NEJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: good hours during the holiday season.
Cons: after the holiday season you dont get any hours.
I enjoy working with Cabela's customers as they are diverse and interesting to work with. Opportunity for good hours during the holiday season.
outdoor retail store
Cashier (Former Employee), South Charleston, WVJanuary 7, 2014
Pros: discount
Cons: hours
I ran the cash register promoted club cards and replacement plans along with stock shelves
A day at Cabela's CLUB
Dispute/Chargeback Supervisor II (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEJanuary 6, 2014
My days were spent overseeing a group of entry level staff who serviced our cardholders and participating in side projects to better the organization and the commitment to cardholders. I enjoyed the challenging projects I worked on, the casual work environment, and the people I worked with.
Cashier (Former Employee), Prairie du Chien, WIDecember 30, 2013
Pros: great people
Cons: not enough money
It was a fun place to work, helped out customer's. I worked with lovely people, the hardest thing about my job was having to ask the customer's if they wanted to sign up for a credit card because the customer's thought it was invading their privacy when we had to ask them all these question.
An OK job
NIC's out fitter (Former Employee), Boise, IDDecember 30, 2013
Pros: company bbq, and drawings for some great prizes
Cons: expensive insurance, no hours for part time employees and no set schedule for full time employees
Cabela's was a good job but it was a game of favorites everyday with the managers and there was no room for advancement for any one who was not on the favorites list so for two years I worked the same job even after applying for many jobs in other departments. But as far as a job goes not a bad place to work for temporary employment.
Learned selling abilities and order taking abilities.
Advanced Sales Rep (Former Employee), North Platte, NEDecember 20, 2013
Pros: got bonuses for different things.
Cons: you are constantly on the phone all day long.
Took phone orders from different people in different states. Learned about all the merchandise Cabela's offers. The hardest part of the job is tracking merchandise.
Made work like home
Customer Service Outfitter (Former Employee), Wichita, KSDecember 17, 2013
Pros: family like environment
Cons: to many hours, no family time
although home would have been a better option. Cabela's tried to make everyday a easy day. the company was extremely organized, yet I never got to truly spend time with my family as I would like at home. management was always around to help
Great place to work, will learn customer service quickly
Cashier, Customer Service (Former Employee), East Hartford, CTDecember 11, 2013
Great place to work, I learned a great deal of what customer service is actually about.Customer interactions and how management works within a retail business.
N/A
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee), Thornton, CONovember 19, 2013
I became familiar with using the scissor lift and pallet jack.
Fun place to work. Great co-workers and customers!
Cash Office Outfitter (Current Employee), Scarborough, MENovember 14, 2013
Pros: healthcare
Cons: closed in office, no advancement, no perks
Work starts at 6 AM, it is a very quiet environment with no windows, where we count/balance all the previous day's work for the store and the bank. Make up the deposits, then send daily reports to our managers and corporate contacts through email or our network system's and on excel.

I have learned to use my time wisely and to multitask to keep up – more... with our daily deadlines. When my work is completed, I search out other work in the store where I can enjoy my co-workers and the customers until my shift ends.

The hardest most stressful part of my job is during the time I train people for the part time position in my office. – less
Core values
Softlines Manager (Former Employee), Tulalip, WANovember 12, 2013
Pros: getting to mentor people
Cons: upper management
I feel that I could have learned more about this company had they gave me the transfer I needed when I moved to Arizona. My co workers were great and enjoyed work with them. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I got to meet on a daily event. My Operations manager at the was an amazing influence on me and I apprieciated working closely with – more... him. Cabelas talks about how they take care of people but they let me down. – less
Fun workplace.
Cashier (Current Employee), Post Falls, IDNovember 10, 2013
A typical day at work is always fun, can never go through the whole day without a smile on your face. I have learned that if you stay positive at work, then you can have a fun and exciting day at work. The management is phenomenal! I like how the managers are always there for their workers and help them with whatever they are having troubles with. My – more... co-workers are very friendly; on my first day of work , my co-workers came up to me and introduced themselves and asked how I was liking the job so far. That right there makes me love this job more and more. The hardest part of the job is where customers see prices online but can only get those prices if they order online. So that can get frustrating. The most enjoyable part of the job is just being able to have fun at work. – less
Wonderful place to work!
Outfitter (Current Employee), Triadelphia, WVOctober 29, 2013
Pros: benefits, discounts, lots of employee incentive, paid holidays
Cons: working sundays
A great atmosphere to work in, something new to learn every day. Advancement is slow but opportunities are there for those who want them.

About Cabela's Inc.

Cabela’s Incorporated, headquartered in Sidney, Nebraska, is a leading specialty retailer, and the world’s largest – Read more