Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Cabelas Retail
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 April 2015
Cabelas is a fun place to work. There are always activities going on at work and the outfitters are awesome. There are always opportunities to learn multiple positions at Cabelas. The hardest part of the job would be the scheduling and the most enjoyable part of the job is how laid back the managers are and the fun atmosphere.
Pros
Good opportunities within Areas
Cons
Favouritism
Best job I had
Archery Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2015
Clocked in, went to station, did inventory and replenishment, front faced, cleaning, customer service, product repair, break,continue previous tasks, lunch, continue previous tasks, clock out and end of day chores.

New product knowledge and gaining more experience in areas previously weaker in.

Fantastic management, easy to talk to, easy to work with and are very understanding.

Fantastic co-workers, more than willing to help out answer any questions, and help out if needed.

Hardest part was having to quit due to family emergency.

Most enjoyable part was working there.
Pros
Amazing employee discount, knowledge, experience, teambuilding, fast pace, exciting
Cons
No rehire even leaving on good terms
Outdoor enthusiast's dream!
SKU Profiler (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 February 2015
Great team of hard-working individuals. Management was generally pretty good, but sometimes had slightly unrealistic expectations, but we all worked together to get things done in the end.
Awesome place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta2 February 2015
I loved working at Cabela's. Awesome crew and great management. Great work environment to be in. I couldn't have asked for a better job while going to school.
I Love This Job
FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  winnipeg,manitoba10 January 2015
Sometimes it's hard to work when im not feeling well or im sick because you can lost focus on your job but that barely happen though,yet i still need to go and work bacause that is my responsibility.I learned LOTS in Cabelas like using those RF Guns on SAP.Picking,binning of items,ang using a Forklift,Order Picker ang a Power Jack.The Management are well-mannered,they Respect you in anyway possible.I did'nt found any hard times working at Cabelas because i loved what I'm doing.The most enjoyable part is when i always used Order Pickers and HELP other co-workers when they need my help.
Pros
overtime
Cons
lack of work sometimes
fun place to work, no work left, contract ended
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 January 2015

gay
retail
Fun place too work.
Sales Associate (Gun Counter) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton AB29 October 2014
Sell Firearms & Optics.I am very informative and enjoy helping people and love the product I sell.
Pros
Fun with excellent benefits.
Cons
Poor wage.
Fun workplace.
Distribution Centre Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 September 2014
A typical day here would be a meeting every day before we start work. And making sure everything is done correctly. I learned how to operate a forklift and order picker.
Minumum wage really low pay based on the expectations. Long, long hours for VERY low pay
former employee (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON3 September 2014
I was very happy when I got the job at Cabela's but very soon I found out that this was just another big box retail store. The worst part is the pay, I was told we would get a raise but that never happened. Management is unfair, favouritism is something very visible and known in the store (As a manager you should not have "friends" in the store), there are different pay rates for the same job titles, most get paid minimum wage unless you are one of the favourites. Scheduling is unfair and I had to work every weekend while other employees got to take the weekends off another example of the favouritism . The worst part of my time there was dealing with my manager who was the worst manager I have ever had, she is very difficult to get along with, everyone in the store dislikes her, she changed her mind constantly and liked to blame things that were her responsibility on the employees. The manager did ask a lot and it was definitely NOT worth the minimum wage they were paying me. I felt under-trained in my position;The part I most enjoyed were the people I worked with, I made some good friends and most people are really great and truly deserve more than minimum wage for all the knowledge and excellent costumer service they provide, maybe if I had a better pay and a better schedule that worked with my other job and family life balance I would still work there, even putting up with all the unfairness and the horrible manager, the store is a fun place a lot of cool stuff, but high prices even with the employee discount.
Pros
discounts
Cons
micromanagment and favoritisam
Don't get sick EVER!
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 July 2014
So yeah just as it says, don't get sick ever, with anything. They don't care, they just say they do but the moment something happens they replace you, that simple.
Pros
Discount prices
Cons
Poor management, poor communication, gossip X10
Very easy-going, fun atmosphere
Temporary Hire (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 May 2014
I was handling order/complaints/billing issues as a CSR at Cabelas Canada from all across Canada. Taking orders for camping, hunting, fishing clothing, firearms. It was shift work but no later than 9 p.m. and they were open on Sunday's.

My co-workers were a fun group of people, the atmosphere was very casual.
Great place to work for second job
Firearms inspector/switchboard (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 May 2014
Typical day at work was always changing never staying the same something new happening each hour. Learn lots from moving into different departments and new job postings. The co-workers are great to work with and the hardest part of the job crazy with it was busy in the store and stress management with the managers always looking over your shoulder. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers never a dull moment.
Pros
staff days with great food
Cons
long hours and breaks few a far between
Great environment , lots of fun
Inventory and Stock Personal (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 March 2014
It was a great environment, the people there were very friendly.
managment was great the hardest part about it was the overnights but the best part was i got to move all kinds of material from firearms to clothing i never new what to expect
Pros
15% of and you got to listin to mp3s
Cons
somtimes worked overnights while in school
enjoyed working at cabelas pleasant surroundings
picker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB30 January 2014
climbed ladders to pick orders
learned how to pick orders
friendly management
enjoyable to work with
climbing ladders for eight hours
working with co-workers very enjoyable
Pros
working monday to friday
Inventory Analyst (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon2 January 2014
My work includes reporting/solving errors/working on cycle counts.
Extremely busy pace and a very positive work environment
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 October 2013
My work place is amazingly positive and an awesome place to be. I love giving awesome customer service and maintaining relationships with my customers and my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is the variety and individuality in service which I am able to provide.
Pros
I love the product and the lifestyle the company represents
Cons
I wish I could afford to do it full-time, but the rate of pay does not allow it.
Loved it!
outfitter (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta11 September 2013
I absolutely loved working here! The people are fantastic and make it a great environment!
A day in the life of a task outfitter - Readers Diagest version
Task Team (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 August 2013
The people you meet and get to work with are phenomenal. From every day co-workers, to the upper management in the store, establishing friendship bonds come easily.

A typical day, would take me to every department, getting to make displays throughout the store, assisting the receiving team with stock (making features to get it out of the warehouse), and usually planning upcoming promotions and executing them when the time comes.

Hardest part of the job was when we would get low stock levels of a popular item, and having to tell customers we were out of stock.

One of the most enjoyable was seeing the new products, and getting to feature them before the staff even knew we carried them.
Pros
Supportive Managment Team
Cons
Retail
Lots of slack employers that just chat to each other and leave the customers.
Sales/Retail (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK30 November 2012
The job was alright, but in my mind there was to much slack in teenage and young workers and they took advantage of it and just chatted instead of doing there job. In my mind a good company needs people with a good work ethic to stay strong.
Pros
scheduled hours
Cons
more training needed for many employees
inept management
Department Lead (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 October 2012
This is not the best place to work, employees are great, management sucks. No communication, and too much favoritism. If you kiss butt in this company you will get ahead, everyone else will be escorted out. Pay is not great either.
Pros
decent discounts on product
Cons
no appreciation for hard work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.