Cabela's Inc.

Cabela's Inc. Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Work
Warehouse Worker/Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Lacey, WAApril 6, 2014
I really liked my job, but none of my bosses knew what they were doing.
Could have been an amazing job or career, but was blown by poor management.
Outfitter (Former Employee), Thornton, COApril 5, 2014
Pros: lots of free food all the time, generally good work environment, amazing deals and discounts through a website, great coworkers
Cons: the chosen managment team, a control-freak manager, terrible communication throught whole team
As soon as I heard Cabelas was being built basically down the street from my house, I became ecstatic. I continuously scoured the internet for openings and job positions. After finding their mass hire interviewing deal-e-o, I jumped on the opportunity like a cat to a red laser pointer. I could not contain my excitement for a job their. With positions – more... is firearms, archery, camping and more available, I wished for the best. And of course recieved the one thing I was hoping to avoid: footwear. But I didn't let that smolder my ambition, and pushed on as there was promise of movement opportunities. The mass training was extremely fun and I met now one of my greatest friends through it. They kept the information lively and entertaining. And I have never received that level of training. That only fueled my excitement for the job. They made a big ceremony to congratulate us and let us know when we will be able to see the store for the first time and set it up. Which was again, the most fun I have ever had at a job. The store set up was just pure fun, and was fucused on getting to know your peers and become a team, while also getting acquainted with the store itself. By far the best two months of employment anywhere. And then, there was the grand opening. As much as I wish I was the one shopping, I still enjoyed being a Cabelas Outfitter and wore my tan proudly. As the time progressed, the management efficiency and communication diminish. Slowly it became impossible to reach managers for customer concerns or personal reason. Even through record setting sales, the group reduced hours. Which is completely understandable seeing as a part time employee, I worked two months at 40+ hours a week. After being consistently denied or ignored my requests and applications for archery and hunting, I began growing tired of the hectic footwear manager. When the outfitters found a way to simplify work flow while maintaining policy, the manager made it her utmost goal to have things her way, which always ended up train wrecks. Dealing with an immature, self absorbed manager (who has received numerous corporate complaints with no real action taken against her) was acceptable. But cutting hours in the middle of shifts with no warning ahead of time (usually a two week warning is given to state reduce hours) my hours went from 24-30 down to a single 4 hour shift once a week. And the only reason I found out was a coworker was returning from break when the schedule change appeared. Knowing I would be unable to afford my bills or find a job fast enough, I resigned. And with no easy way to get a hold of any managers, I was left with the only option being I turn in my badge and shirt. And as sad as it was to say goodbye to being an Outfitter, there was no way I could survive with the position management was in. – less
nice place to be but its a teaser
Cashier (Former Employee), Dundee, MIApril 3, 2014
Pros: good discounts, nice environment, supportive staff
Cons: easy to spend every paycheck
Cabelas has great co-workers a great support system and management is very good at answering any questions and being helpful. the only downside i can say was that i was working at a place with a lot of high dollar items and it is very easy to spend a paycheck there.
It was very stressful and not always a happy place to be.
Clothing Outfitter (Former Employee), Louisville, KYApril 2, 2014
I was just a seasonal worker. they always reminded you that anyone could fill your position and that your job was on the line. it wasn't very friendly.
FUN!!!
OutfitterResponsible for Customer Service (Current Employee), Thornton, COMarch 29, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: monetary compensation
Working at Cabelas is nothing less than FUN!!! The management team is great to work with. Systems technology for the retail environment is the latest and greatest. Co-Outfitters work together as a cohesive team!
co workers are great but managers, gm terrible
retail outtitter (Current Employee), wisconsinMarch 24, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: management
I have worked several departments and as long as you didn't question the managers/corporate you were a great worker. Question something and you get written up on something bogus.
Fun atmosphere with great growth opportunity
HR Training Administrator (Current Employee), Buda, TXMarch 21, 2014
Cabela's is a fun place to work. They offer several different options to make extra money on your paycheck. Management varies with styles, but is mostly very flexible and great to work for. The company is growing tremendously so there are several opportunities to grow in the company.
Great company to work for
Front-End Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Tulalip, WAMarch 19, 2014
Cabela's gives its employees a lot of power to help guests.They create a good working environment.
Great place to work.
Customer service, cleaned department (Former Employee), Springfield, ORMarch 18, 2014
Pros: great people, fun environment, great management
Cons: don't get much of a raise when it is deserved.
Cabela's is a really fun place to work. Great co-workers and management staff. Corporate controlled.
great place to work
SEO Program Manager (Current Employee), Westminster COMarch 17, 2014
Pros: learned a lot about hunting and fishing
Cons: very political
I really enjoyed working with all the employees at Cabela's. They are a great group of people with high level of integrity
Fun enviorment loved all employees made me feel useful.
Human Resources Administrator/Store Administrator (Former Employee), Lehi, UTMarch 17, 2014
Pros: always fun enviorment and fun friday's
Cons: long drive
Stayed busy worked with management team and employees. I loved a challenge and would never give up until figured out and was challenged daily.
Fun and Upbeat Place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Buda, TXMarch 13, 2014
This company was great to work for! I loved everyone I worked with, as well as the managers. It was difficult leaving, but unfortunely I relocated. My job was a customer service outfitter. Along with performing cashiering duties, I was the one to come to for returns/exchanges/in store pickup etc. Any inquiries could be brought to us and we were glad – more... to help. We also shipped customers products we had in the store to their homes, and if we didnt have it in the store we have an in store Kiosk we used to ship customers what they needed from Distribution Centers. The hardest part of my job was deciding the amount to return to customers. Having the 90 day policy in place, once they were outside the time frame we were allowed to use our discretion to take care of the customer. It could be from giving them a depreciated amount that they originally paid for to store credit for their items. – less
Nice place to work
Retail Salesman (Current Employee), Mitchell, SDMarch 12, 2014
Pros: nice atmosphere.
Cons: no advancement
Not real good job security. Laid a lot of people off. Part time is okay don't set your heart on full time
good group of workers
night time outfitter (Current Employee), polarisMarch 5, 2014
Pros: summit discounts
Cons: job security/ managment
have some serious issues to work out with management, with little chance to move from seasonal to full time. 3 positions in 13 months
reduced my hours at the end
Club Booth Outfitter (Former Employee), Mitchell, SDMarch 4, 2014
The manager informed me that my hours would be reducing to personal reasons.
Excellent place to work
Store Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Rogers, MNMarch 2, 2014
Cabela's has excellent employees and it is a great place to work!
Very corporate with little innovation
Software Engineer (Current Employee), Westminster COFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: good benefits
Cons: stagnant workplace, no innovation, heavy micro management
This is a waterfall development shop and as such, developers will spend the majority of their time in meetings rather than writing code. They are very set in their ways, and make a point to dumb down their website for non-technical users. Supporting browsers such as IE7 and AOL Explorer make the use of any modern web technologies very difficult. The – more... use of new technologies and practices are actually discouraged as most of the developers and management have never used anything other than Java EE. Developers have no say in implementations or architectures. – less
Nice, friendly, and welcoming environment.
Task Team Operations (Current Employee), Fort Worth, TXFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: incentives to earn extra money. positive environment.
Cons: aren't too many of these, 2 yrs and i love it here!
A typical day at work would include us coming into our scheduled departments for the day, and looking for red tags or scanning products that we should have up on the floor and either finding where it's hiding at and place it in it's set location, or checking the history on the product and making sure inventory count is not off, if it is then we being – more... the process of rack verifying the product.

I've learned a lot, from dabbling a bit with AS400, JDA, learning a little bit about inventory control, and learning more about the products we have in the store, since I spend all this time in each department everyday and am physically handling them myself.

Management there was wonderful. I didn't have an issue with any of the leads, managers, or senior managers, but then again I honestly don't like having any issues with anyone as I prefer to work in a positive and uplifting environment and strongly believe in showing others respect in order to receive it and can vouch myself that, that's truth.

I love my coworkers, I love that everybody has different personalities. Never a dull moment, love having that "work family" type of bond.

The hardest part of the job pretty would seeing that we are supposed to have a certain amount of a particular item, that we are supposed to have on the floor, that we did receive and has been made active for customer purchase for quite some time.

The part I enjoy most about my job, is putting the department and products in order. That and being able to use my knowledge of the departments to help customers, although I do not work there and it may not be my strong suit, but I at least have some sort of knowledge to feed the customers needs either until I am able to help him with his questions and search, or I can get an employee that works the department to take over and gladly assist the customer. – less
Family oriented company.
Receiving Outfitter (Former Employee), WarehouseFebruary 23, 2014
Wealth of good, hard working employees.
Management cares about the employee and customers.
Learned if you treat people well you will receive much in return.
Enjoyed most every aspect of my job.
Hardest part was leaving Cabela's to pursue my dream of living in Florida.
Semi-productive employer
Customer Service (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: decent discount
Cons: poorly managed
Each day is different. I have learned a lot of different aspects of the business that I will take with me onto the next adventure.

About Cabela's Inc.

Cabela’s Incorporated, headquartered in Sidney, Nebraska, is a leading specialty retailer, and the world’s largest – Read more