Cabela's Inc.

Cabela's Inc. Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Buda is fantastic
Store Admin (Former Employee), BudaMay 2, 2014
Pros: people and culture at the store level
Cons: compensation, corporate leaders
The in store Senior Management team is fantastic. Fun and exciting culture. Opportunity for advancement. However they are getting too big for their perceived internal culture. From the corporate standpoint, the Outfitters used to be top priority. Not anymore. Corporate directors no longer care about the quality of people the company employs. They quality – more... of people that work the floor and at store level are what keep the customers coming back again and again; the exceptional customer service. They are doing away with knowledgeable employees and taking warm bodies instead. They will become Walmart before you know it. It's very sad to watch. – less
Fun place to work but hours and pay could be better.
Seasonal Outfitter (Former Employee), Allen, TXMay 1, 2014
Pros: friendly atmosphere, good people
Cons: short notice on ending seasonal employment, not enough hours, only hire part time.
Fun place to work with good people and good managers but they only hire part time employees and do not give you enough hours to make a living. Would be an awesome place to work if they hired full time and pay was a little better.
fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Post Falls, IDApril 27, 2014
Pros: discounted lunch, fun co-workers
Cons: poor hours, low pay
we would be restricted to working the cash registers and stockint the front area, I was allowed to operate a small eletric vehicle to assist in retrieving shopping carts. We perfered not to leave the area due to the customers woulod ask us complicated questions and we would perfer to not make our staff look bad by not knowing the answers
Productive and fun place to work.
Sales Manager (Current Employee), Allen, TXApril 26, 2014
Pros: on and off site events
Great place to work. If you enjoy the outdoors and wildlife scene you'll love working here. Fun environment to work in with great advancement opportunities.
Fun place to be!
Club Card (Current Employee), Boise, IDApril 25, 2014
Pros: country music is always playing, great atmosphere, store set up
Cons: our healthcare isn't approved by obama
Very fun and very country! I'm always happy to be there! A typical day consists of me taking applications for our Club Visa Card. We're generally pretty steady, but some days more than others. I have learned a lot about customer privacy and teamwork along with being able to build relationships and trust with your customers. Management is pretty well – more... staffed and is pretty fair with how to handle things, considering Club is without a manager at the moment. The outfitters I also work with are always fun to be around and work with. Life in Cabela's is never boring! The hardest part of the job (for me) would have to be not being able to go over 28 hours per week. I love to work and it bums me out when I'm not allowed to pick up more hours after reaching 28. The most enjoyable part of my job would have to be just talking with people and getting to know a part of them. It's just cool to see how different everyone's lives really are! – less
I really enjoyed the people I worked with. Management on the other hand was impossible.
Dept lead (Former Employee), Glendale AzApril 24, 2014
Pros: cool place to work if you like the outdoors
Cons: management low pay
The customers at Cabelas are great. The management or lack of was impossible. They are very degrading and belittling. They only look out for each other.
The pay is extremely low. Hours are cut to a minimum.There are no weekends off. Close one night open the next morning. They are clueless when it comes to running a buisiness. Only care about gun sales,no – more... other dept matters.
Managers know nothing of the outdoors. They are just there to make you miserable – less
customer service
Customer Service (Former Employee), Green Bay, WIApril 23, 2014
Pros: daytime hours
Cons: part-time status
answer phones, assist customers with paperwork for charge card, assist the bank with customer information, process payments for the charge card, assist customers to find merchandise
Great place!
CSR (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEApril 22, 2014
I loved working at Cabela's. I learned A LOT about a whole variety of things from materials to ammunition!
Great Company, Bad Management
Cashier (Former Employee), Rogers, ARApril 18, 2014
The title says it all. Some good co-workers. Benefits will try to take extra money for their mistakes. Management only cares about their "bottom line".
Stressful workplace
Camping Associate (Current Employee), East Hartford, CTApril 11, 2014
A typical work day would be full of customers and managers yelling at you and insulting my intelligence. the workplace itself was not that safe. there were too many managers telling you what to do at the same time and expected large tasks to be finished in minutes. customers were extremely disrespectful along with fellow employees. it felt like working – more... at a high school with all of the cliques that were formed between departments. – less
Great company at start
Archery/ Auto/ Camping ASM (Former Employee), Dundee, MIApril 9, 2014
Pros: learned a lot
Cons: poor pay
Cabela's was a fantastic company to work for however once they went public the first thing they did was cut salary positions.
Extraordinary experiance with Customer Relations
Cashier (Current Employee), Wichita, KSApril 8, 2014
Being a cashier I was the last person in the customers experience at Cabelas. Therefore it was my job to make sure their visit ended as well if not better than when they came in.
Doesn't pay well at all
Sales Associate / Cashier (Former Employee), East Hartford, CTApril 8, 2014
Pros: good people to work with, easy customers.
You do stock, floor sets, cover for other departments, clean up...For just above minimum wage. There is NO movement possibilities.
Work
Warehouse Worker/Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Lacey, WAApril 6, 2014
I really liked my job, but none of my bosses knew what they were doing.
Could have been an amazing job or career, but was blown by poor management.
Outfitter (Former Employee), Thornton, COApril 5, 2014
Pros: lots of free food all the time, generally good work environment, amazing deals and discounts through a website, great coworkers
Cons: the chosen managment team, a control-freak manager, terrible communication throught whole team
As soon as I heard Cabelas was being built basically down the street from my house, I became ecstatic. I continuously scoured the internet for openings and job positions. After finding their mass hire interviewing deal-e-o, I jumped on the opportunity like a cat to a red laser pointer. I could not contain my excitement for a job their. With positions – more... is firearms, archery, camping and more available, I wished for the best. And of course recieved the one thing I was hoping to avoid: footwear. But I didn't let that smolder my ambition, and pushed on as there was promise of movement opportunities. The mass training was extremely fun and I met now one of my greatest friends through it. They kept the information lively and entertaining. And I have never received that level of training. That only fueled my excitement for the job. They made a big ceremony to congratulate us and let us know when we will be able to see the store for the first time and set it up. Which was again, the most fun I have ever had at a job. The store set up was just pure fun, and was fucused on getting to know your peers and become a team, while also getting acquainted with the store itself. By far the best two months of employment anywhere. And then, there was the grand opening. As much as I wish I was the one shopping, I still enjoyed being a Cabelas Outfitter and wore my tan proudly. As the time progressed, the management efficiency and communication diminish. Slowly it became impossible to reach managers for customer concerns or personal reason. Even through record setting sales, the group reduced hours. Which is completely understandable seeing as a part time employee, I worked two months at 40+ hours a week. After being consistently denied or ignored my requests and applications for archery and hunting, I began growing tired of the hectic footwear manager. When the outfitters found a way to simplify work flow while maintaining policy, the manager made it her utmost goal to have things her way, which always ended up train wrecks. Dealing with an immature, self absorbed manager (who has received numerous corporate complaints with no real action taken against her) was acceptable. But cutting hours in the middle of shifts with no warning ahead of time (usually a two week warning is given to state reduce hours) my hours went from 24-30 down to a single 4 hour shift once a week. And the only reason I found out was a coworker was returning from break when the schedule change appeared. Knowing I would be unable to afford my bills or find a job fast enough, I resigned. And with no easy way to get a hold of any managers, I was left with the only option being I turn in my badge and shirt. And as sad as it was to say goodbye to being an Outfitter, there was no way I could survive with the position management was in. – less
nice place to be but its a teaser
Cashier (Former Employee), Dundee, MIApril 3, 2014
Pros: good discounts, nice environment, supportive staff
Cons: easy to spend every paycheck
Cabelas has great co-workers a great support system and management is very good at answering any questions and being helpful. the only downside i can say was that i was working at a place with a lot of high dollar items and it is very easy to spend a paycheck there.
It was very stressful and not always a happy place to be.
Clothing Outfitter (Former Employee), Louisville, KYApril 2, 2014
I was just a seasonal worker. they always reminded you that anyone could fill your position and that your job was on the line. it wasn't very friendly.
FUN!!!
OutfitterResponsible for Customer Service (Current Employee), Thornton, COMarch 29, 2014
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: monetary compensation
Working at Cabelas is nothing less than FUN!!! The management team is great to work with. Systems technology for the retail environment is the latest and greatest. Co-Outfitters work together as a cohesive team!
co workers are great but managers, gm terrible
retail outtitter (Current Employee), wisconsinMarch 24, 2014
Pros: co-workers
Cons: management
I have worked several departments and as long as you didn't question the managers/corporate you were a great worker. Question something and you get written up on something bogus.
Fun atmosphere with great growth opportunity
HR Training Administrator (Current Employee), Buda, TXMarch 21, 2014
Cabela's is a fun place to work. They offer several different options to make extra money on your paycheck. Management varies with styles, but is mostly very flexible and great to work for. The company is growing tremendously so there are several opportunities to grow in the company.

About Cabela's Inc.

Cabela’s Incorporated, headquartered in Sidney, Nebraska, is a leading specialty retailer, and the world’s largest – Read more