Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

Family oriented and very nice work environment
Picker, Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  766 Pandora ave east winnipeg mb15 November 2015
A typical day at Cabelas was very satisfying.i have learned many new things i had never tried before,such as using RF guns and internet shipping products that customers have ordered.Ihad set a goal for myself everyday to better my self the next day.I was cross trained in most departments which i enjoyed as i wanted to know as much of the warehouse operations as i could learn.As a result i was able to train new employees in various departments.My supervisors were very nice and easy to get along with as well as all of my co workers which it felt like a family where everybody would take the time to help if help was needed everybody was polite and helpful.I think the hardest part of the job would be the heat in the warehouse in the summer.The most enjoyable part of Cabelas is the people.They are all great,i still keep in touch with many of my coworkers.Also i enjoyed the environment ,working with all the different products and equipment. I truly miss this job.
Pros
Fantastic people and environment to work
Cons
hot in warehouse in summer
Productive and fun call center with flexible hours
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 November 2015
A typical day at work consists of answering calls and taking orders, working with credit cards, gun licenses etc. and also ocassionally making calls to customer informing them of status of their orders.
Pros
Free cofee and tea
Cons
Short breaks
Fine place to work while it was still opened
Warehouse Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 November 2015
Working at Cabela's warehouse was a great job for me while the were still in operation. After working there for 2 and a half years, upper-management closed down the warehouse and moved there business to a different province. The work environment was great, everyone got along reasonably and got rewarded for working hard. It's sad that they had to close down.
The most enjoyeable part of the job
Gun/Hunting Outfiter (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB9 November 2015
Was to make sure the customer had a very enjoyable shopping experience at Cabela's & hopefully they fund everything that they where looking for at the store.
fun environment and everyone was pleasant.
Backroom team member (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB2 November 2015
A fun place to work, management was great, pay was not competitive, no room for advancement, they do not give employees second chances.
Pros
fun environment, not all about numbers.
Cons
wages very low, no room for advancement
Lack of Training and Communication
Corp Office (Former Employee) –  Wpg23 October 2015
Worked for the company for many years. Had a great time going out to conventions, and store openings. The issue I faced was lack of communication, lack of training, lack of timely follow up. Everything is secretive, the open door policy is a joke.

When Cabelas first took over SIR, it was fine. Still a family oriented business. Over the years it's become all about the almighty dollar and zero about the employees that work hard, for sub par pay, poor raises, or no raises.

I did work with a lot of great people.
Pros
Some great coworkers
Cons
Lack of communication, training and decent pay.
met some amazing people but lacked so much more.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, Sk28 September 2015
Management is poor and lacks major communication with each other and the staff. They seem to always look into what employees are doing wrong but fail to see what they do wrong as a management team and as individuals as well. You are easily replaced to them it seems and MANY wonderful employees hard work and dedication definitely goes unnoticed and unappreciated a lot. Being short staffed is a common occurrence and if you think you'll only do the job you were originally hired for, think again. You will be thrown around all over the place. Your opinions and problems do not seem to matter, although it is made out to appear they do, there was rarely action to solve anything.

Aside from that I met a lot of wonderful people, the coworkers where like a big family. If it wasn't for them I would have never stayed as long as I was there for. The discount was also an added bonus too. But besides that I wouldn't recommend this job even with its perks.
Pros
discounts, awesome coworkers
Cons
No communication, poor scheduling, management
great people, good atmosphere
Retail Associate - Archery (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 September 2015
The wage is minimal as a sales associate. opportunity for advancement im told is reasonable, they hire internally if possible. The discount for the first few years in negligible. Not very accommodating with scheduling hours. Opportunity to learn is great.
Pros
passionate industry
Cons
wage, choice in schedule
It was like an 8 hour shopping shift
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 July 2015
The people I work with are generally pretty awesome. I can't say there is one person I could not sit and have coffee with; we come from a variety of backgrounds in careers, families and life. At the very least the people are interesting.
Working in retail takes a special understanding and acceptance of the general public. Because we have a diverse community, this position has helped me to broaden my vision of people (even at my age, I still learned about people).
I would recommend a position in the business for anyone who loves being around people and helping people.
Pros
Employee discount! Friendly staff, helpful staff. Management is helpful and approachable.
Cons
If you want good coffee, you gotta bring it in.
It was nice experiance to work with retail
Auto replanishment outfitter (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK11 June 2015
I learend lots of skills for customer service.There was really good management.Company provide all kind of training what i need.
Enjoyable work environment, always something new to learn.
Switchboard Operator/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK9 June 2015
A typical day at work was very enjoyable. It is an outdoor sports/adventure store, so the customers were always happy to be there. During my employment at Cabela's, I learned about many different things from fire arms to camping. Product knowledge seminars were available at various times to ensure there was always someone on staff who knew about certain products. Management was always fair with customers and staff. They were all very approachable and helpful. Everyone who worked there had a passion for what they did and loved being there which made it very easy to go to work every day. The hardest part of the job was not being able to wander around and look at all the new merchandise. Every time you look around there is something new to look at or learn about. The most Enjoyable part of the job was talking to the customers that came in. Most of the time they were there searching for a new item(s) that would make their outdoor experience more enjoyable so they were happy to be there.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
long hours during slow times
Best Place
Distribution Center Outfitter Full- Time (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 April 2015
Awesome company with great culture
They love their workers as their very owned families.
Never gonna forget working with these people
Cabelas Retail
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON16 April 2015
Cabelas is a fun place to work. There are always activities going on at work and the outfitters are awesome. There are always opportunities to learn multiple positions at Cabelas. The hardest part of the job would be the scheduling and the most enjoyable part of the job is how laid back the managers are and the fun atmosphere.
Pros
Good opportunities within Areas
Cons
Favouritism
Best job I had
Archery Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2015
Clocked in, went to station, did inventory and replenishment, front faced, cleaning, customer service, product repair, break,continue previous tasks, lunch, continue previous tasks, clock out and end of day chores.

New product knowledge and gaining more experience in areas previously weaker in.

Fantastic management, easy to talk to, easy to work with and are very understanding.

Fantastic co-workers, more than willing to help out answer any questions, and help out if needed.

Hardest part was having to quit due to family emergency.

Most enjoyable part was working there.
Pros
Amazing employee discount, knowledge, experience, teambuilding, fast pace, exciting
Cons
No rehire even leaving on good terms
Outdoor enthusiast's dream!
SKU Profiler (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 February 2015
Great team of hard-working individuals. Management was generally pretty good, but sometimes had slightly unrealistic expectations, but we all worked together to get things done in the end.
Awesome place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Alberta2 February 2015
I loved working at Cabela's. Awesome crew and great management. Great work environment to be in. I couldn't have asked for a better job while going to school.
I Love This Job
FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  winnipeg,manitoba10 January 2015
Sometimes it's hard to work when im not feeling well or im sick because you can lost focus on your job but that barely happen though,yet i still need to go and work bacause that is my responsibility.I learned LOTS in Cabelas like using those RF Guns on SAP.Picking,binning of items,ang using a Forklift,Order Picker ang a Power Jack.The Management are well-mannered,they Respect you in anyway possible.I did'nt found any hard times working at Cabelas because i loved what I'm doing.The most enjoyable part is when i always used Order Pickers and HELP other co-workers when they need my help.
Pros
overtime
Cons
lack of work sometimes
fun place to work, no work left, contract ended
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 January 2015

gay
retail
Fun place too work.
Sales Associate (Gun Counter) (Current Employee) –  Edmonton AB29 October 2014
Sell Firearms & Optics.I am very informative and enjoy helping people and love the product I sell.
Pros
Fun with excellent benefits.
Cons
Poor wage.
Fun workplace.
Distribution Centre Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 September 2014
A typical day here would be a meeting every day before we start work. And making sure everything is done correctly. I learned how to operate a forklift and order picker.