Cabela's Inc.

Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Minumum wage really low pay based on the expectations. Long, long hours for VERY low pay
former employee (Former Employee), Barrie, ONSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: micromanagment and favoritisam
I was very happy when I got the job at Cabela's but very soon I found out that this was just another big box retail store. The worst part is the pay, I was told we would get a raise but that never happened. Management is unfair, favouritism is something very visible and known in the store (As a manager you should not have "friends" in the store), there are different pay rates for the same job titles, most get paid minimum wage unless you are one of the favourites. Scheduling is unfair and I had to work every weekend while other employees got to take the weekends off another example of the favouritism . The worst part of my time there was dealing with my manager who was the worst manager I have ever had, she is very difficult to get along with, everyone in the store dislikes her, she changed her mind constantly and liked to blame things that were her responsibility on the employees. The manager did ask a lot and it was definitely NOT worth the minimum wage they were paying me. I felt under-trained in my position;The part I most enjoyed were the people I worked with, I made some good friends and most people are really great and truly deserve more than minimum wage for all the knowledge and excellent costumer service they provide, maybe if I had a better pay and a better schedule that worked with my other job and family life balance I would still work there, even putting up with all the unfairness and the horrible manager, the store is a fun place a lot of cool stuff, but high prices even with the employee discount.
Great place to work for second job
Firearms inspector/switchboard (Former Employee), Winnipeg, MBMay 23, 2014
Pros: staff days with great food
Cons: long hours and breaks few a far between
Typical day at work was always changing never staying the same something new happening each hour. Learn lots from moving into different departments and new job postings. The co-workers are great to work with and the hardest part of the job crazy with it was busy in the store and stress management with the managers always looking over your shoulder. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers never a dull moment.
Inventory Analyst (Current Employee), SaskatoonJanuary 2, 2014
My work includes reporting/solving errors/working on cycle counts.
Cabelas' Edmonton
outfitter (Former Employee), EdmontonOctober 16, 2012
Pros: great merchandise, good discounts
Cons: long hard days, caddy co workers, management that plays favorites. poor pay and raises
It starts out as though they are very family oriented and as though they are very flexible...well they are if you are "one of the guy" or until you say no to being over worked and severly underpaid for the expectations placed on you. Don't ever think you will be hired for the position you applied for because in the end you are expected to work everywhere and be able to do everything. The promise to have every weekend off is a HUGE lie. There is not enough staff because they keep quiting. Management is a joke and and look forward to a 10 to max 50 cent raise/hr after a year of working your tail off if you do as you are told. Most staff are ok but the gossip and talking behind backs is over the top especially in the customer service area. This company makes a HUGE HUGE profit and will not pay accordingly and will not hire staff to help all of us who are severly overworked. This company does not care about it's employees one bit. Someone said it in another comment.. The owners of Cabelas' should be sad and ashamed that they allow this to happen. You want quality workers then treat ALL of them the same.
Awesome and fun work place
Customer Service (Former Employee), Columbus, OHJanuary 20, 2015
This was the best place to work because everyone is so friendly and caring. Everyone helps each other out and you saw so many different kinds of people. Cabela's is not a store that you ever need to go into it is a store you want to go into because you love your hobby. From fishing to hunting and camping, all the great outdoors inside one building with experts in each area to help you find the perfect item that you need.
Challenging and fun
Softlines Outfitter (Former Employee), Waco, TXJanuary 12, 2015
Outfitted customers in proper gear for whatever they were going to do. Whether it was hunting, fishing, hiking, or camping. My coworkers were great, a nice drama free zone. Management was never rude, nor abused their authority. The hardest part for me was trying to get folks to sign up for the CLUB credit card. It was expected to have at least one sign up a day. Other than that Cabela's truly cares about their customers. It was a nice change from previous jobs.
Fun place to work.
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXJanuary 9, 2015
Cashier - checking customer out and answering questions about products.
only for kids
customer service (Former Employee), union gap, waJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: discount
Cons: management, pay is lousy, raises pennies
What started out as a great team atmosphere has been lost. Management is short term, and no longer same values as when the store opened. Don't look to work here and "move up". its not going to happen. The current management will only hire for management outside of store. Has done his best to get rid of almost all the original team, and brought moral into the toilet. Im not bitter, I enjoyed working there, up until the new management. I wasn't looking to move up, just watched many qualified, dedicated workers get passed over to outside resources. The people who work at outpost 1
generally have good hearts and care about each other and the store.
they just don't get recognition like they should. or used to.
fast paced retail
PICS Department (Former Employee), Hamburg, PADecember 29, 2014
Pros: great work environment
Cons: typical retail hours and rushes
standard retail job with the exception of being geared towards the outdoors lifestyle
Cool products to sell, management has priorities backwards.
Part-time Outfitter (Current Employee), Rogers, ARDecember 17, 2014
Pros: one hour lunch after working 7+ hours, paid breaks, allowed to demo products in store.
Cons: terrible management, expected to do more than is possible in one shift, management cares more about the cabela's credit card than sales, only way to move up is if you are best friends with managements and get club cards, always short-staffed, do not always get proper breaks.
On a normal day at work, there is usually one or two outfitters working in each department. I would check the warehouse for any freight that came in that morning or night before that needs to be put out. I would then bring back any freight to my department and begin putting it away in the warehouse while simultaneously watching the floor, unless there is coverage. Throughout the day we would stock the shelves, assist customers, check prices, create display tags, answer phone calls, do dock shipments/store-to-store transfers, etc..
Fun work environment with excellent managment
Cashier/ Footwear Sales (Former Employee), Dundee, MIDecember 17, 2014
Pros: 3 breaks an 8+ hours shift
A typical day at work was 5-8 hours, but never the same schedule
Cabela's
Marketing (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEDecember 10, 2014
Pros: work atmosphere, co-workers
Cons: pay
Great work atmosphere. Benefits were ok. Pay was terrible.
Its in your Nature
Firearm Salesman (Former Employee), Rogers, ARDecember 8, 2014
Work there if you only want part time work, if not its not worth it as the only way you can advance in the company is not through hard work but by kissing upper managements butt
Love the break times
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Lincoln, NEDecember 5, 2014
Pros: you get your own cubicle
Cons: calling in takes way longer
I only worked there for 2 weeks but i liked the environment. They were really helpful.
Wonderful place to work - great people, great opportunity for advancement!
Department Lead (Current Employee), Lone Tree, CODecember 5, 2014
Pros: opportunity for advancement, free lunches, great employee discounts
Every day is like Christmas, here. I love the people I work with and I have made some great friends here. I also love the interaction with our customers, and knowing that my expertise and knowledge has helped someone to better enjoy their adventure in the outdoors.

The work can be hard and the hours long, and it can be difficult to plan events around the fluctuating schedule, but management is very accommodating if you need to change your schedule, or if you need time off for personal reasons.

Turn-over is high, but it is mostly with the younger employees who lack a strong work ethic. I work with military enlisted and officers, a medical doctor, an attorney, an architect, a Ph.D. and a few former business owners, all of whom are retired and who don't really "need" the money, but who love the outdoors and the opportunity to share their knowledge of the outdoors with our customers.
Great Place
Receiving Associate (Former Employee), Praire du Chien WINovember 26, 2014
1st job I had but for the most part it is a very good job for a warehouse job.
New Store, inexpeience Management
Sales Counter Outfitter (Former Employee), Augusta, GANovember 22, 2014
Pros: close to home and enjoyed my position
Cons: badly mismanaged, low wages
Good company, however this store wasn't a full size cabela's. The management wasn't trained well.
Fun place to work. Great customer service
Special Order Firearms Manager (Former Employee), Hazelwood, MONovember 11, 2014
Pros: great employee discounts
Cons: retail is just a strange business
Cabela's is a top notch company. They wrote the book on taking care of customers
Innovative and rewarding
Associate (Former Employee), Prairie du Chien, WINovember 5, 2014
Working with the advertising at the retail store. This allowed me to use my creativity. Management allowed me to use my creativity in any way that I seen as acceptable per the company policy.
Tough Job
Asset Protection Specialist (Current Employee), Tulalip, WAOctober 31, 2014
lots of responsibilities but a lot of opportunity for development

1 2 3 4 5

About Cabela's Inc.

Cabela’s Incorporated, headquartered in Sidney, Nebraska, is a leading specialty retailer, and the world’s largest – Read more