Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

Generally good Job with bad components
Firearms product specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 September 2016
Working for Cabela's had many great benefits. There are some gaps in the way the business is run as the brand is being built up in Canada. I relished the opportunity to learn and work within a great growing company.
Ultimately the job wasn't for me under the circumstances in which I was working
Pros
Lot of great benefits, generally good atmosphere around the office
Cons
bad scheduling/playing favorites, no leadership
Fun and friendly environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 September 2016
Overall, not a bad place to work. People are friendly. Management could use a few courses on respect,integrity and professionalism.
I was an administrative assistant in the warehouse(the one that they shut down in march of 2015). You really cant apply at the warehouse anymore but can apply at the call center/headoffice on DeBeates. Some people from the warehouse now work there so beware.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
not enough pay
A Joke Of A Workplace
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 June 2016
Worst management team I have ever worked for in 40 years of experience. They seemed to take excessive pride in the fact that most had worked previously for a whole year at a now defunct Target. I saw no evidence of training, education or leadership abilities. Open door policy and being part of the "Cabela's Family" was laughable. I watched as mature, experienced and capable "outfitters" were "laid off" or hours cut so sharply they had no choice but to move on. (Can you survive on 8 hours a week?), of course not,but teenage students sure can.I believe that Cabela's was once a decent company to work for, now I advise you to stay far far away.....
Cons
Atmosphere, wages and dysfunction.
Great people , poor management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 November 2016
Everyone is very friendly expect for management, they don't know what they are doing nor will help you in time of need, they like to pin jobs on everyone else so they can hang out in the office, if they don't like you your pretty much not getting any shifts and they will push you out regardless of a good job you do.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
management
Excellent Place to work
Gun Counter Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
I was impressed as a customer prior to working there and I am equally as impressed now having worked there month 6 months so far. Management is accommodating and they work to make sure their employees work in a healthy, happy environment.
Pros
discounts on merchandise
Cons
can't pay enough to keep quality staff
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC3 November 2016
This job was really different and fun i learned new things and met new people. It was an fun atmosphere and i have never done footwear before so it was new to me,
Pros
salary was more than minium wage
Cons
only 8 hour shifts
Lack of Training and Communication
Corp Office (Former Employee) –  Wpg23 October 2015
Worked for the company for many years. Had a great time going out to conventions, and store openings. The issue I faced was lack of communication, lack of training, lack of timely follow up. Everything is secretive, the open door policy is a joke.

When Cabelas first took over SIR, it was fine. Still a family oriented business. Over the years it's become all about the almighty dollar and zero about the employees that work hard, for sub par pay, poor raises, or no raises.

I did work with a lot of great people.
Pros
Some great coworkers
Cons
Lack of communication, training and decent pay.
Love working here overall
Replenishment Team/ Shipper & Receiver - Full-time (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK7 April 2016
Overall great place to work. Average wages and benefits, Enjoy the overall work place culture. Does have some strict policies most of which are understandable for the business type.
Great employees to work with
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 May 2016
Overall very good. Management seemed to "micro-manage" often but generally quite approachable and friendly. The company was very customer oriented and client satisfaction was very important.
Loved the day to day interaction with my colleagues!
Pros
positive environment
Cons
low pay
Great place to work with many good employees
Sales Associate and Task Team (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 September 2016
Great place to work! has a very strong corporate structure and many knowledgable employees.
Hardest part of the job can be the amount of knowledge thats required to work in certain departments. Although many employees will help you with any information, they also provide vendor training to keep you updated with all the new products.
Pros
Great work atomsphere
Cons
Some seasonal struggles or slow times
Nice Workplace, amazing supervisors, learned new things, very clean environment, culture friendly
Merchandizer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 June 2016
I enjoyed every single day at cabelas and leaned warehouse work. I got forklift training too which was super fun and very useful because i could bring down big boxes myself without calling anyone else to bring it down for me. Very friendly co-workers. My supervisors made it so easy for me that i could not find anything hard. Most enjoyable and fun part when we got pizzas and drinks once a month.
Pros
Free meals once a month
Cons
Employees were great people to work with
Cashier part time (Former Employee) –  Cabelas Calgary26 May 2016
Great people to work with except management, they never could get their act together, and they really didn't care about their employees.
It's Retail, So Keep Your Expectations Low
Stock Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB22 February 2016
It's a retail environment. If you don't ask for a good starting wage in the beginning, you'll never get the opportunity again. After being there for a few years, I was making just as much or even less than new hires. Nothing screams motivation like having to attend a morning rally to hear daily sales figures and not getting paid a living wage.

The opportunities for growth and advancement are few and far between. It's not what you know but who you know.
Fun workplace.
Customer Service Lead (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 August 2016
Cabeles is a great company! It has done me well enjoyed working there for the time being now it's time to move onto better things for myself. Awesome environment to work, very calming & the customers are very kind
Pros
Great coworkers .
Cons
The hours, not very many given to employees
fun environment and everyone was pleasant.
Backroom team member (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB2 November 2015
A fun place to work, management was great, pay was not competitive, no room for advancement, they do not give employees second chances.
Pros
fun environment, not all about numbers.
Cons
wages very low, no room for advancement
Cabelas
Bilingual Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 August 2016
Cabelas treats the employees horrible but pay ok. I hate the manager shes not a very nice women. I want a job where they treat you like adults not like little babies
Pros
free food
Cons
brenda
fun and productinve
Call center Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 November 2016
good to start but not breaks are not enough plus training session is too short and no mocking calls. you are on you're own. and error are zero tolerated
Pros
Brand Name
Cons
Wage
Fun workplace with great people
Replenishment Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC8 August 2016
Enjoyed working here, made some great friends, and had a blast learning new skill's and making new relationships with those people around me. Would highly reccomend
Pros
Free popcorn
Cons
Tough work
It was like an 8 hour shopping shift
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK28 July 2015
The people I work with are generally pretty awesome. I can't say there is one person I could not sit and have coffee with; we come from a variety of backgrounds in careers, families and life. At the very least the people are interesting.
Working in retail takes a special understanding and acceptance of the general public. Because we have a diverse community, this position has helped me to broaden my vision of people (even at my age, I still learned about people).
I would recommend a position in the business for anyone who loves being around people and helping people.
Pros
Employee discount! Friendly staff, helpful staff. Management is helpful and approachable.
Cons
If you want good coffee, you gotta bring it in.
Fun and Reliable
Casheir (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK16 August 2016
wonderful place to work, they clearly care very much for their employees. Customers on average we not that terrible. wonderful environment in general.