Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

Is It In Your Nature?
Warehouse Lead (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON19 May 2017
Cabela's is an interesting place to work. If you can get used to those awful tan shirts and asking everyone "what brings you in today?" it is a pretty good place to work. They have a lot of social events, providing a lot of free food, and the pro deals they offer can be really good.
Pros
Lots of free food, Fudge, Pro Deals
Cons
Management expectatins, Tan shirts
Great job if you love outdoors stuff. Otherwise, run-of-the-mill retail.
Gun Counter Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2017
I very much enjoy my position at Cabela's. Working at the gun counter, assisting people with their purchases and talking about their firearms and experiences is very rewarding. In general Cabela's is a great place to have a part-time job and to reap the rewards of staff discounts, especially distributor/manufacturer deals. It makes a great "second job" for anyone who loves the outdoors and doesn't mind spending more in the store than they pay you. It's important that you get a position that you care about, otherwise it's just a retail job like any other.
Pros
Great deals for staff, good hours, good people
Cons
It's retail
You can do better.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 May 2017
I love Cabela's as a store. The displays are incredible and the product is honestly pretty good. However, I would recommend shopping here and not working here.
First of all, you are just a number. Personal problems and being sick are not allowed.
You will be required to do the work of not only yourself, but also your department lead. But, you won't get credit or recognition for it.
If you bring up a problem to Management, the entire store will know within the hour. There is no such thing as a private matter.
You will be required to work hours that constantly get cut but they will refuse to work around another job.
HR doesn't care about you or your problems. Sitting in the office is the only task in their job description.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Hours constantly cut, benefits are slim to none, pay is low
Cabela's
Customer Service Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC7 April 2017
Fairly good company with good values but management often made me feel like I was always doing something wrong or would get overly mad when we were all brand new to the store and were all learning.
Retail
Hunting Outfitter / Task Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 March 2017
Its Retail.... what do you want, Under paid and over worked is the story from anyone that has ever worked in retail. The management at the Kanata Store are a little clueless.
fun place to work for
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 March 2017
there are certain times in a day that it gets busy specially on the holidays but if they have scheduled too many staff they might ask you to go home or cut off your time. staff are friendly, I only met one person who does not like coaching new staff. company is diverse - culture, age-wise. most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and bonding with other staff.
Pros
sometimes get free lunch or dinner
Cons
short hours
Salary
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2017
Salary is not good, but it is the same across Retail.
Job Security is an interesting topic, however it is a very diverse and multicultural group of people. Management is good, it is a passionate people who enjoys nature and outdoors. Great job culture, from very passionate coworkers to people that just want to be busy.
Pros
Cons
reduced hours of work
Over all good place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 March 2017
Over all Cabela's is a good place to work, you can get a lot of hours if you ask. Easy and fun. Can learn a lot while working on your customer service skills
unorganized
outfitter (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC8 March 2017
great place to work but very unorganized there are favorites and its very obvious to see it. the management is very disorganized and often struggle to schedule.
Pros
great people
Cons
management
Do not work for this company
Warehouse Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 March 2017
This company acts like there employees are there best friends and that they are so important but they do nothing for them. The pay in very low and the benefits are a joke.
Opportunities abound... for the right person
ASSOCIATE CATEGORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 March 2017
While I am fine with a fast pace and a changing environment, too often there is weak leadership from above resulting in change just for the sake of change before figuring out the causes and possible fixes for issues. This results in redoing work or doing work that then is shelved so you end up wasting time. There is NO TIME to be wasting time. Having said that, there are many MANY coworkers so you are assured to find people you like and enjoy working with.
Pros
workplace culture
Cons
long hours and only constant is change
good to start with, but dont stay too long.
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 March 2017
great co-workers but horrible management, favoritism was clearly shown. The workload itself was good, had opportunities for overtime that seemed to be not offered to everyone. limited opportunity for growth.
Pros
discounts, co-worker
Cons
favoritism
Great work environment with great co-workers.
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 February 2017
Cabala's was great because most days had variation. The workplace culture was fantastic as there was an events team dedicated to getting employees and customers excited about products.
Fun but serious environment
Front End Lead (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB21 February 2017
Cabela's has a great work/life balance and are very flexible when it comes to working nights and time off. Day in the life at Cabela's is assisting on cash when required, slow time is January, February and March, so we don't have the hours and the Leads (Supervisor's) are helping on cash. I am responsible for doing the weekly schedules and my husband works away a lot so they are flexible when the time comes as we have a little man at home. They have a fun work balance, but know when to be serious. The hardest part about the company, is that there is not much room to move up, as the management team don't transfer and growth.
Pros
Flexibility around my husband's schedule when he travels
Management has favoritism
Fudge Shop Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
Overall a fun place to work making fudge however policies and standards are not followed and therefore staff stand around and do nothing while other staff work very hard. Very hard to deal with management due to favoritism.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
no consistency
Wonderful experience as a first job.
Backroom Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
Cabela's was my first job, so the environment it offered almost instantly was a very friendly and helpful area for me to be myself and actually get the job done and still be smiling by the end of the day. The Cabela's name is one that they take pride in and take care of the employees as well, like for Christmas everyday they had something new and fun going on for those who were working.
Pros
Great work environment, employees are all very enjoyable
Fun place
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK1 February 2017
Fun place to work out. Hours are great, people are fun to work with. Great customers it's a want store not a need store. Not sure what else to say it's a good place to work
loved it.
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2017
its a really fun place to work. They reword good work and have really great courses where you learn allot. I sadly could only stay on for my three month term, i missed to many shift and they let me go. but i still really liked it, and respect them. I was young. live and learn.
Great products, bad management.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 January 2017
during my stay I had the pleasure to work with some amazing people, we had great events for employees which was much appreciated but some supervisors showed favoritism. at some point I witnessed people being discriminated and terminated for no real reason which labor laws were definitely violated.
Pros
great employee discounts, amazing coworkers
Cons
favoritism, some managers are bad for the employees.
Good
Warehouse Reciever (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 January 2017
Was good until they shut down the warehouse. I heard the call center sucked though. Everyone there was pretty unhappy. I'm just happy they got sold by bass pro

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.