Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

Salary
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 March 2017
Salary is not good, but it is the same across Retail.
Job Security is an interesting topic, however it is a very diverse and multicultural group of people. Management is good, it is a passionate people who enjoys nature and outdoors. Great job culture, from very passionate coworkers to people that just want to be busy.
Pros
Cons
reduced hours of work
Generally good Job with bad components
Firearms product specialist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 September 2016
Working for Cabela's had many great benefits. There are some gaps in the way the business is run as the brand is being built up in Canada. I relished the opportunity to learn and work within a great growing company.
Ultimately the job wasn't for me under the circumstances in which I was working
Pros
Lot of great benefits, generally good atmosphere around the office
Cons
bad scheduling/playing favorites, no leadership
Do not work for this company
Warehouse Lead Hand (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 March 2017
This company acts like there employees are there best friends and that they are so important but they do nothing for them. The pay in very low and the benefits are a joke.
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC3 November 2016
This job was really different and fun i learned new things and met new people. It was an fun atmosphere and i have never done footwear before so it was new to me,
Pros
salary was more than minium wage
Cons
only 8 hour shifts
Opportunities abound... for the right person
ASSOCIATE CATEGORY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 March 2017
While I am fine with a fast pace and a changing environment, too often there is weak leadership from above resulting in change just for the sake of change before figuring out the causes and possible fixes for issues. This results in redoing work or doing work that then is shelved so you end up wasting time. There is NO TIME to be wasting time. Having said that, there are many MANY coworkers so you are assured to find people you like and enjoy working with.
Pros
workplace culture
Cons
long hours and only constant is change
good to start with, but dont stay too long.
Merchandising Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 March 2017
great co-workers but horrible management, favoritism was clearly shown. The workload itself was good, had opportunities for overtime that seemed to be not offered to everyone. limited opportunity for growth.
Pros
discounts, co-worker
Cons
favoritism
Wonderful experience as a first job.
Backroom Team Member (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2017
Cabela's was my first job, so the environment it offered almost instantly was a very friendly and helpful area for me to be myself and actually get the job done and still be smiling by the end of the day. The Cabela's name is one that they take pride in and take care of the employees as well, like for Christmas everyday they had something new and fun going on for those who were working.
Pros
Great work environment, employees are all very enjoyable
Great products, bad management.
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 January 2017
during my stay I had the pleasure to work with some amazing people, we had great events for employees which was much appreciated but some supervisors showed favoritism. at some point I witnessed people being discriminated and terminated for no real reason which labor laws were definitely violated.
Pros
great employee discounts, amazing coworkers
Cons
favoritism, some managers are bad for the employees.
Management has favoritism
Fudge Shop Attendant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 February 2017
Overall a fun place to work making fudge however policies and standards are not followed and therefore staff stand around and do nothing while other staff work very hard. Very hard to deal with management due to favoritism.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
no consistency
Great people , poor management
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 November 2016
Everyone is very friendly expect for management, they don't know what they are doing nor will help you in time of need, they like to pin jobs on everyone else so they can hang out in the office, if they don't like you your pretty much not getting any shifts and they will push you out regardless of a good job you do.
Pros
friendly staff
Cons
management

Want to know more about Cabela's Inc.?

Ask a question
Love working here overall
Replenishment Team/ Shipper & Receiver - Full-time (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK7 April 2016
Overall great place to work. Average wages and benefits, Enjoy the overall work place culture. Does have some strict policies most of which are understandable for the business type.
Lack of Training and Communication
Corp Office (Former Employee) –  Wpg23 October 2015
Worked for the company for many years. Had a great time going out to conventions, and store openings. The issue I faced was lack of communication, lack of training, lack of timely follow up. Everything is secretive, the open door policy is a joke.

When Cabelas first took over SIR, it was fine. Still a family oriented business. Over the years it's become all about the almighty dollar and zero about the employees that work hard, for sub par pay, poor raises, or no raises.

I did work with a lot of great people.
Pros
Some great coworkers
Cons
Lack of communication, training and decent pay.
unorganized
outfitter (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC8 March 2017
great place to work but very unorganized there are favorites and its very obvious to see it. the management is very disorganized and often struggle to schedule.
Pros
great people
Cons
management
Retail
Hunting Outfitter / Task Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON22 March 2017
Its Retail.... what do you want, Under paid and over worked is the story from anyone that has ever worked in retail. The management at the Kanata Store are a little clueless.
Great work environment with great co-workers.
Footwear Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 February 2017
Cabala's was great because most days had variation. The workplace culture was fantastic as there was an events team dedicated to getting employees and customers excited about products.
Fun and friendly environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 September 2016
Overall, not a bad place to work. People are friendly. Management could use a few courses on respect,integrity and professionalism.
I was an administrative assistant in the warehouse(the one that they shut down in march of 2015). You really cant apply at the warehouse anymore but can apply at the call center/headoffice on DeBeates. Some people from the warehouse now work there so beware.
Pros
Easy work
Cons
not enough pay
Productive place to work
Hunting Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB11 December 2016
The work hours did not meet the work and home balance as the regular full time hours were not consistant. Enjoyed working with other employees. But found some management clicky.
Excellent Place to work
Gun Counter Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 October 2016
I was impressed as a customer prior to working there and I am equally as impressed now having worked there month 6 months so far. Management is accommodating and they work to make sure their employees work in a healthy, happy environment.
Pros
discounts on merchandise
Cons
can't pay enough to keep quality staff
loved it.
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB31 January 2017
its a really fun place to work. They reword good work and have really great courses where you learn allot. I sadly could only stay on for my three month term, i missed to many shift and they let me go. but i still really liked it, and respect them. I was young. live and learn.
A Joke Of A Workplace
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 June 2016
Worst management team I have ever worked for in 40 years of experience. They seemed to take excessive pride in the fact that most had worked previously for a whole year at a now defunct Target. I saw no evidence of training, education or leadership abilities. Open door policy and being part of the "Cabela's Family" was laughable. I watched as mature, experienced and capable "outfitters" were "laid off" or hours cut so sharply they had no choice but to move on. (Can you survive on 8 hours a week?), of course not,but teenage students sure can.I believe that Cabela's was once a decent company to work for, now I advise you to stay far far away.....
Cons
Atmosphere, wages and dysfunction.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.