Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 February 2018
very laid back work environment
fun customers
management was not great at resolving conflict
employees were grouped socially and formed clicks
loved the products
Went strongly downhill once excellent store manager was fired
Camping Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 January 2018
Was a great place to work with the best store manager that I have ever had the privilege to with but they were terminated without notice one day and their replacement is fairly difficult to work under.

Be cautious of all reviews before 2017 because the manager that likely caused all the positive feedback is no longer there.
Awesome place, great environment
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2018
Fun and energetic place, people are super nice to be around and wonderful environment. The time I've spent as a volunteer has been fabulous and I would go back and do it all over again.
Pros
Pizza for lunch that was free
Cons
Short break
Interesting place, not managed well, little to no benefits.
Outfitter (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 January 2018
The management do not communicate well if at all. Instant benefits like discounts are very limited, medical denefits are with an almost unheard of company. The corprate offices put into place policies and rules that sometimes make no sense and show that all the “higher ups” have never worked a day of retail in their lives.
Pros
Cons
Lots
Great management amazing staff, Like one big family
Cabelas inc (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 January 2018
Amazing employment. Celebrated every special day (National cereal day, build your own hot chocolate/ sundae, Find the elf on the shelf, ext...) I will continue to go back for the part time temporary position
Pros
Lunches and staff appreciation awards and amazing management
Cons
It was a nice place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 January 2018
I enjoyed the type of people that came through my till. Everyone seemed to really enjoy working their as I did. They are very focused on keeping everything running smoothly which I love.
We are a family
Cashier and Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2018
Cabelas is worth the while, we are a family there. its fun to work at the store, you will meet a lot of interesting people.
management is awesome no doubt about that and your coworkers will always have something to make you laugh about.
Pros
discount
Cons
can only use it for your own location
I enjoyed it
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Barrie2 January 2018
I actually enjoyed it. Not too many places that you can work and talk to people about hunting and fishing and get paid for it. Somedays are better then others. The pay was min. wage but I wasn't there to make a living. i just worked part-time seasonal, and wasn't lucky enough to stay on. Would go back if called!! Most managers are pretty good.
Nice place to work
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB25 December 2017
Nice co-workers, very good discounts. you can tell that corporate cares about the employees. Free lunches on occasion. Fairly flexible hours for students.
Pros
Good atmosphere, and bosses
Cons
low pay, hard to get even a small raise, long hours.
Great experience
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK14 December 2017
Cash duties were keeping tills clean and organized. Keep your paperwork organized and stocked. Also keep up on bag supply. Fill coolers and candy. At customer service you would help out with returns/exchanges and purchasing. Also had to sell licenses for hunting and fishing. Managers had their good and bad days. Hardest part of the job was to try and find staff to come in if someone got sick. The most enjoyable part was sharing stories and laughs with customers.
Cons
dress code
great company to work
Sales Associate - archery/hunting department (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 December 2017
great staff, management knows products, staff, and customers well. only downside is having to work 1 day of the weekend and 1 closing shift per week, otherwise its a pretty flexible schedule.
Pros
good co workers, management is very good at what they do
Cons
1 weekend day and 1 closing shift per week
Interesting place to work
Fudge Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON20 October 2017
The scheduling left a little to be desired but overall not a bad place to work. The regular staff are fun to work with but I feel management did not always stand behind their staff and looked at the numbers than the people.
Pros
Learned lots
Cons
Long run of shifts sometimes..and then some too short.
Fast fun place to work.
Front End Lead (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 October 2017
Fast fun place to work at.
Recognition from management.
Best customer and work environment for a specialized retail store.
To bad it was a long travel to and from Cabela's
Pros
merchandise discounts
Cons
long drive.
Fun place to work
Outfitter Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 October 2017
It was a fun place to work up until they started laying off ppl. Meeting new people everyday was a huge plus. Unfortunately i was one of the one who was laid off
Not Worth Your Time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Canada6 October 2017
Management reveals confidential information to you about other workers, so they probably reveal yours to others as well, all for the sake of gossip. Supervisors are lazy and think that since they have a promotion they can "sit back and relax" while you do all their work, and they take credit for it. Management is condescending and inconsiderate, even when their poor scheduling is the root of the problems in the store. You get strikes against your name for the simplest things, such as forgetting your time card (because it inconveniences the managers to file the paperwork for it, even though it's their job to do so) or phoning in sick once in a year of employment. Don't like workplace drama? Don't work here.
Cons
Unprofessional, not understanding
Most People are Great
Assistant Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 September 2017
my time there was mostly all great memories. it was a good experiance and made me realize that I can do more with what I learned here. I am grateful for the time I had there.
Cabela's Canada
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON19 September 2017
-Great place to work / awesome atmosphere
-Very friendly and approachable co-workers
-Lots of incentive to achieve sales goals
-Great managers and supervisors
Pros
great team to be on and lots of staff events
Footwear Lead
Sales Associate/ Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK10 August 2017
Working here was great. I really enjoyed everyone I worked with in my department. Management could have been a lot better. Unfortunately my manager wasn't really there when we needed her. I learnt a lot of things about being a supervisor and how to manage staff.
Pros
Staff was great
Cons
No control over the schedule
Can only get ahead if you are asuck up
Camping and archery outfitter/switchboard (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK29 July 2017
Scheduling is awful. You can book one single day off 3+ months in advance and you won't get the day off.
Management is inexperienced and has no management skills.
You can only get ahead and get raises or get better shifts if you Suck up to management
Terrible pay. Minimum wage. 33 cent raise per year. Won't let you change departments.
When reporting harassment, HR laughs at you.
Pros
Discount after working for 2 years, Vendor deals, The customers are amazing and become life long friends, popcorn machine in break room
Cons
Scheduling. Management. Pay. No raises. No way to move ahead. No praise.
Awesome company
Retail customer service lead (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB20 June 2017
I love it here. The staff and management are awesome and very funny and helpful. It feels like a big family and all are very great to train with. Lots to learn but they don't push or rush you.
Pros
Cons
Can't think of any

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Cabela's Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.