Cabela's Inc. Employee Reviews in Canada

Nice Workplace, amazing supervisors, learned new things, very clean environment, culture friendly
Merchandizer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJune 23, 2016
I enjoyed every single day at cabelas and leaned warehouse work. I got forklift training too which was super fun and very useful because i could bring down big boxes myself without calling anyone else to bring it down for me. Very friendly co-workers. My supervisors made it so easy for me that i could not find anything hard. Most enjoyable and fun part when we got pizzas and drinks once a month.
Pros
Free meals once a month
A Joke Of A Workplace
Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 11, 2016
Worst management team I have ever worked for in 40 years of experience. They seemed to take excessive pride in the fact that most had worked previously for a whole year at a now defunct Target. I saw no evidence of training, education or leadership abilities. Open door policy and being part of the "Cabela's Family" was laughable. I watched as mature, experienced and capable "outfitters" were "laid off" or hours cut so sharply they had no choice but to move on. (Can you survive on 8 hours a week?), of course not,but teenage students sure can.I believe that Cabela's was once a decent company to work for, now I advise you to stay far far away.....
Cons
Atmosphere, wages and dysfunction.
Love working here overall
Replenishment Team/ Shipper & Receiver - Full-time (Current Employee) –  Regina, SKApril 7, 2016
Overall great place to work. Average wages and benefits, Enjoy the overall work place culture. Does have some strict policies most of which are understandable for the business type.
It's Retail, So Keep Your Expectations Low
Stock Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBFebruary 22, 2016
It's a retail environment. If you don't ask for a good starting wage in the beginning, you'll never get the opportunity again. After being there for a few years, I was making just as much or even less than new hires. Nothing screams motivation like having to attend a morning rally to hear daily sales figures and not getting paid a living wage.

The opportunities for growth and advancement are few and far between. It's not what you know but who you know.
Worst job out there
Backroom Outfitter (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONDecember 11, 2015
Where should i start, for the amount of work that you are expected to complete it is extremely under payed. the majority of backroom outfitters making under $12/hr. there is a lot of harassment and sometimes assault between coworkers. ive seen coworkers come to work drunk,hung over, high and they never get in trouble due to the obvious favoritism from managers. the scheduling is terrible, sometimes i went almost a week and a half with no shifts then come back to schedule changes that no one tells you about. i have only seen two people advance in this store, but usually they will hire an outside person first. there is minimal training given and when you ask for training to learn different things you get ignored. there is bad communication between backroom and sales associates. As someone who has worked there since it opened, im surprised its still in business. the discount was terrible and the products are overpriced. when i recently quit the manager seemed enthused about it, which it felt like they wanted me gone.
Pros
made a couple friends
Cons
everything
fun environment and everyone was pleasant.
Backroom team member (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBNovember 2, 2015
A fun place to work, management was great, pay was not competitive, no room for advancement, they do not give employees second chances.
Pros
fun environment, not all about numbers.
Cons
wages very low, no room for advancement
Lack of Training and Communication
Corp Office (Former Employee) –  WpgOctober 23, 2015
Worked for the company for many years. Had a great time going out to conventions, and store openings. The issue I faced was lack of communication, lack of training, lack of timely follow up. Everything is secretive, the open door policy is a joke.

When Cabelas first took over SIR, it was fine. Still a family oriented business. Over the years it's become all about the almighty dollar and zero about the employees that work hard, for sub par pay, poor raises, or no raises.

I did work with a lot of great people.
Pros
Some great coworkers
Cons
Lack of communication, training and decent pay.
Cabelas Retail
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 16, 2015
Cabelas is a fun place to work. There are always activities going on at work and the outfitters are awesome. There are always opportunities to learn multiple positions at Cabelas. The hardest part of the job would be the scheduling and the most enjoyable part of the job is how laid back the managers are and the fun atmosphere.
Pros
Good opportunities within Areas
Cons
Favouritism
fun place to work, no work left, contract ended
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONJanuary 2, 2015

fun
not hard
gay
retail
Minumum wage really low pay based on the expectations. Long, long hours for VERY low pay
former employee (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ONSeptember 3, 2014
I was very happy when I got the job at Cabela's but very soon I found out that this was just another big box retail store. The worst part is the pay, I was told we would get a raise but that never happened. Management is unfair, favouritism is something very visible and known in the store (As a manager you should not have "friends" in the store), there are different pay rates for the same job titles, most get paid minimum wage unless you are one of the favourites. Scheduling is unfair and I had to work every weekend while other employees got to take the weekends off another example of the favouritism . The worst part of my time there was dealing with my manager who was the worst manager I have ever had, she is very difficult to get along with, everyone in the store dislikes her, she changed her mind constantly and liked to blame things that were her responsibility on the employees. The manager did ask a lot and it was definitely NOT worth the minimum wage they were paying me. I felt under-trained in my position;The part I most enjoyed were the people I worked with, I made some good friends and most people are really great and truly deserve more than minimum wage for all the knowledge and excellent costumer service they provide, maybe if I had a better pay and a better schedule that worked with my other job and family life balance I would still work there, even putting up with all the unfairness and the horrible manager, the store is a fun place a lot of cool stuff, but high prices even with the employee discount.
Pros
discounts
Cons
micromanagment and favoritisam
Great place to work for second job
Firearms inspector/switchboard (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 23, 2014
Typical day at work was always changing never staying the same something new happening each hour. Learn lots from moving into different departments and new job postings. The co-workers are great to work with and the hardest part of the job crazy with it was busy in the store and stress management with the managers always looking over your shoulder. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customers never a dull moment.
Pros
staff days with great food
Cons
long hours and breaks few a far between
Inventory Analyst (Current Employee) –  SaskatoonJanuary 2, 2014
My work includes reporting/solving errors/working on cycle counts.
Lots of slack employers that just chat to each other and leave the customers.
Sales/Retail (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SKNovember 30, 2012
The job was alright, but in my mind there was to much slack in teenage and young workers and they took advantage of it and just chatted instead of doing there job. In my mind a good company needs people with a good work ethic to stay strong.
Pros
scheduled hours
Cons
more training needed for many employees
fun place to work relly enjoyed it
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  WinnipegOctober 19, 2012
Pick orders out of stock send the order to packing to packed up and sent out .
Cabelas' Edmonton
outfitter (Former Employee) –  EdmontonOctober 16, 2012
It starts out as though they are very family oriented and as though they are very flexible...well they are if you are "one of the guy" or until you say no to being over worked and severly underpaid for the expectations placed on you. Don't ever think you will be hired for the position you applied for because in the end you are expected to work everywhere and be able to do everything. The promise to have every weekend off is a HUGE lie. There is not enough staff because they keep quiting. Management is a joke and and look forward to a 10 to max 50 cent raise/hr after a year of working your tail off if you do as you are told. Most staff are ok but the gossip and talking behind backs is over the top especially in the customer service area. This company makes a HUGE HUGE profit and will not pay accordingly and will not hire staff to help all of us who are severly overworked. This company does not care about it's employees one bit. Someone said it in another comment.. The owners of Cabelas' should be sad and ashamed that they allow this to happen. You want quality workers then treat ALL of them the same.
Pros
great merchandise, good discounts
Cons
long hard days, caddy co workers, management that plays favorites. poor pay and raises
over all good place to get great experience.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBAugust 13, 2012
Managers always willing to give a helping hand.
great program to learn every section bit by bit
always something to do so it makes the day go by faster and feels like you get so much more done when ur always on the go
Pros
great co workers and managment
Cons
not a set schedule