CGI Group Employee Reviews in Canada

OK place to work only if you don't have to interact with other CGI groups
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ontarioApril 12, 2014
The process gods rule. Co-operation between groups is non-existent. Some employees' reason for living appears to be to create whatever roadblocks they can for other groups.
Company is really many different companies stuck together with gum. Everyone has their own standard way of doing things. Submitting simple requests becomes a nightmare even for seasoned employees because every helpline (and there are many) requires different procedures for requests and they keep changing them.
Employees are treated as commodity. To make up for it they're called member. Of course member is just a nice way of saying d*ck.
Pros
ok pay, basic benefit package.
Cons
go there only if you can stop caring about things like being productive.
Productive environment with room for advancement
Administrative Assistant - E-Business (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 22, 2014
A typical work day for me varied greatly. I supported the VP of Marketing but I also assisted in getting new US clients in the company. I attempted the liaison between two groups that were merged into our very own 5 team members.
I learned how to look at challenges and tackle them. I learned how to deal with different types of individuals and deal with discretion as well as creating a team.
I truly had a difficult time leaving this workplace and most likely would not have had I not met my husband at this time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to be respected by my peers and being able to help and do a good job.
Pros
working with professionals
Cons
leaving to get married
Where you go to gain hands on experience
Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 17, 2014
A typical day at CGI is rarely predictable, I am part of a team that handles end to end services, and therefore I am involved in every aspect of the business from the acquisition of a client, to the building of the architecture, delivery and transitio of the project and to the client customer service satisfaction of the service desk.
Pros
invaluable experience
Cons
hours often extend to evenings and weekends
Excellent learning experience
Senior Technical Team Leader assisting Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 29, 2013
A typical day at work for me consists of emails, conference calls, projects, managing sla's, KPI's, and managing my employees.
CGI has an excellent structure and was a terrific learning experience for me in many aspects.
To me communication is a very important aspect to succeed as a manager and i am very keen on this with my employees on a daily basis.
Pros
great stability and great core values.
Cons
low salaries, outsoursing, no advancement.
Decent place to work with
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  MarkhamJuly 23, 2013
The position and work environment is very good, but the upper managements are not doing so well, they like play politics, compete with each other and as a result, messed up some of the big ongoing project. Project went bad, the department lost the project, lost the client, project got scrapped, upper managements resigned, then a new guy come in to take over, and he just let half the people in the floor just so he could make the net income look nicer on the quarterly report, only to prove to the higher bosses that he can fit into the new shoes.
Pros
good for work and learning
Cons
politics and other uncontrollable factors
Overall it was a decent place to work
Account Manager - Business Development (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 19, 2013
Managed Sales Cycle from Opportunity Identification to contract signature. Responsible for Technology Planning and Planning Strategic Initiatives with Senior Client Management.
Managed sales for infrastructure projects for Desktop, Help Desk and Messaging Sales Funnels (Generated $3.62M in revenue in 2005) (Generated $7.33M in revenue in 2006) (Generated $8.9M in revenue in 2007) (Generated $12.5M in revenue in 2008)
Sought new sales opportunities for outsourcing services
Managed client relationship and Developed Strategy and Business Plan for the team
Poor employer if you are consulting / client sites
Process Improvement (Former Employee) –  TorontoMarch 6, 2013
Overall, your work day is your average work day.
Management is always changing, and overall have little contact with anyone. Relationships are a secondary aspect in my view.
Co workers are fine, but can tell they too are unsure about CGI.
Very little room for aggressive movement and promotion. Status quo. Management does lead people on (destroys morale).
No progressive increases (actually they manipulated the time/numbers so people earned LESS)
Pros
good if you like working for a large entity that moves you to different locations.
Cons
no increases, management dubious, no assistance to move ahead in career.
Entrepreneurial
Director, Consulting Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 10, 2015
It is a very entrepreneurial organization. Everyone has a part to play in growing the company. Wins are celebrated. This is why they are the largest consulting firm in Canada.
Worst company I ever worked for.
Senior system analyst (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 16, 2013
I have been IT professional for the last 18 years.
CGI was the worst employer I ever worked for.
Pay was good, but the communications and management were extremely poor.
I wanted to leave the company after the first few weeks.
It may be good place to start with, but If you are experienced IT professional, do not waste your time there,
Pros
pay
Cons
poor management
Agood place to work, the people are the best, a gym in building.
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 13, 2012
Installing mainframe products for clients. Supporting clients, and debugging client problems.
Please refer to my resume for courses I have taken and what I have learned.
As I montioned above the people I worked with are the very best, they are helpful and frinndly.
The hardest part of the job was being on call.
Go to work every day.
Administrative Assistant / Billing clerk
Admin Assist (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB CanadaJuly 16, 2012
I really enjoyed working with CGI Adjusters. I would prepare and type out reports/legal forms from dictation.

File, photocopy, fax, courier and do reception duties as well. Everyday was a learning opportunity as reports and files varied everyday.

My co-workers were fantastic and family like.
Pros
great people to work with .
Extremely Poor Management
Developer (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, New BrunswickMarch 21, 2013
If you do not know or have:
- How to play politics
- Have a skill no one else does (don't share it)
- Power over someone
You're not safe. Do not count getting raises, advances or keeping your job.
Pros
some great co-workers
Cons
the worst mgmt, no training, bad orientation, cultural differences, no job security, not much bench period and fake reviews
Lack of Project Test Management Hinders Quality
Sr. Performance Tester (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 31, 2012
This is a warning message is for experienced performance testing consultants in Toronto GTA area, which could apply for Sr. Performance Tester position at CGI in Toronto.
The Manager of CTQ Performance Group in Toronto hired me for 6 month contract opportunity in 2011, but he could interrupt this acting contract any day due to "money issue". As result, I worked 3 months only from my 4 month performance testing engagement.
This Manager of CTQ Performance Group is very experienced Performance Tester, but he never worked before CGI even as a Performance Test Lead, and he has a lack of capable leadership and project estimating / management, which definitely affects on quality of consulting services in performance testing field.
I left CGI in Toronto on the previous week.
Pros
good consulting company
Cons
lack of project test management

Comment – January 4, 2013

The contractor was let go for many reasons. Specifically: 1) Lack of knowledge of Loadrunner 2) Very poor communication skills 3) Always complaining 4) Unable to meet deadlines

Fun place
Production Application Support Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  MarkhamFebruary 3, 2015
busy
Good. Gives us full picture of upper management and details of changes
good
good
users
challenges of new issues and troubleshooting them
Excellent reviews
Software Consultant - Contract to Permanent (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMay 1, 2013
Working for CGI is like working for a company which makes it living on entrepreneur spirit that runs high at this company however unattainable because of its standardize software platform.
Pros
working your on your own following rules and regulations
Cons
poor quality coding
productive and a learning experience, able to advance in company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BCSeptember 5, 2012
Was always a productive day in the office, multi tasking and always learning new techniques to the job. Working with co-workers pulling together team work. Taking initiative to helping others in the office to get the job done.
Canadian Proposal Managers at CGI
Senior Consultant - Proposal Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 24, 2015
There's never a typical day as a Proposal Manager at CGI. The projects change weekly, bi-weekly and bi-monthly. Employees are called Members which is to ensure that members of the company feel tied to the company's personality and results. The most challenging part of this job in Canada is the high-stress role and orientation to deadlines. Project deadlines must be set and met. Individuals need to have a high degree of patience and stress tolerance to be able to compete and complete projects on time. Overall the company is a leader in Canada, and has some great people. The company has a long standing list of managers which were promoted within - this is a double edged sword. The good news is, CGI insiders or members with history are kept and keep climbing the corporate ladder; on the backside of this picture is poor management education. Few to minimal Canadian Manager at GIS Canada possess an MBA or higher management education. As a result, GEN-Y culture within the company is low and the employee turnover is quite high. New talent is always being sought.
Pros
Work from home, Flexible hours, independence, career progression
Cons
High stress, poor management education in Canada, solitary
Salary is too low
Change Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 27, 2014
Salary here is too low. Salary increase not enough per year. We used to work 37.5 hrs, than make us work 40 hrs without salary increase. Working hour not too flexible in my department.
Pros
regular hours
Cons
not able to work from home, 40 hours/week
Routine work including Incident tickets,etc and other new fancy technology
Senior System Admin/Network Designer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 29, 2014
it's a good company to learn a lot but company has no good plan to provide the more professional training and career support for individuals.
An employer
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 23, 2013
Great co-workers but the company does not know how to benefit from its employees. If you are marketable then you are good to them, otherwise, they do not invest in the employee.
Pros
it pays me a salary
Cons
it has no clue how to deal with its employees