CGI Group Employee Reviews

Micro-Managed!
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 September 2015
At CGI there is no balance between life and work. Management is non-existent, except micro-management. Co-workers for the most part are good to work with, there are some bad apples as with any place of employment.
Not a satisfying experience
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 July 2015
Honestly, not one of the most memorable places that I have worked at. I would not recommend this company to my friends and acquaintances. Management talks about how great a place this is to work, but they don't seem to believe it themselves.
Pros
Recession-proof
Cons
Low pay; experience not valued
Many challenging responsibilities
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, Alberta, Canada15 December 2015
A good work environment with many opportunities to develop new skills using leading edge technology. Helping clients meet reporting requirements was very rewarding.
Pros
Software development
Cons
Government deadlines
Good Place to work
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS31 October 2014
Best place to work when comes to job security
Co-workers are really helpful and awesome work culture
A great place to build an IT career
Test Analyst - Various Clients (Former Employee) –  Stratford, PE20 April 2015
A very good culture to work in. You are encouraged to grow your skills. There is a very good social and community engagement with the company also.
Excellent learning experience
Senior Technical Team Leader assisting Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 August 2013
A typical day at work for me consists of emails, conference calls, projects, managing sla's, KPI's, and managing my employees.
CGI has an excellent structure and was a terrific learning experience for me in many aspects.
To me communication is a very important aspect to succeed as a manager and i am very keen on this with my employees on a daily basis.
Pros
Great stability and great core values.
Cons
Low salaries, outsoursing, no advancement.
Great School
Helpdesk Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 March 2015
CGI is a school by itself..it is the first company that exposed me to ITSM and ITIL at work. Gave me understanding on how to manage a support center and all the QA and metrics.
the problem with CGI is that the pay is not that great, but it would be a great gateway for those looking to launch their careers.
Pros
Advancement, structured
Cons
Low pay wages
Worst company I ever worked for.
Senior system analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto16 August 2013
I have been IT professional for the last 18 years.
CGI was the worst employer I ever worked for.
Pay was good, but the communications and management were extremely poor.
I wanted to leave the company after the first few weeks.
It may be good place to start with, but If you are experienced IT professional, do not waste your time there,
Pros
Pay
Cons
Poor management
Free lunch and dinner being held in our lunch room
Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2015
Day starts with the night shift to day-shift turn-overs.
Then checking emails for any instructions from the manager, special requests from the clients.
Checking the output queues for daily printing.
Prioritizing the immediate printing of sameday service clients.
Inserting the first printed batch while co-workers still printing the remaining reports.
The hardest part is when a client calls and makes a special requests of urgent printing. That request will screw up our schedule for the days output. Enjoyable part is when everybody pitches in including the manager just to make sure that the request is done making sure that the client is satisfied and happy.
Before the day's end the manager threats us with food and drinks.
Pros
Free lunches and sometimes dinner.
UNIX System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 May 2014
CGI Is a consulting firm. As a consultant for CGI I can say that the salary and benefits are par with industry standards.
OK place to work only if you don't have to interact with other CGI groups
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ontario12 April 2014
The process gods rule. Co-operation between groups is non-existent. Some employees' reason for living appears to be to create whatever roadblocks they can for other groups.
Company is really many different companies stuck together with gum. Everyone has their own standard way of doing things. Submitting simple requests becomes a nightmare even for seasoned employees because every helpline (and there are many) requires different procedures for requests and they keep changing them.
Employees are treated as commodity. To make up for it they're called member. Of course member is just a nice way of saying d*ck.
Pros
OK pay, basic benefit package.
Cons
Go there only if you can stop caring about things like being productive.
Not a place you'd want to stay more than a couple of years
Senior Consultant, Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 June 2015
Can be a great place to engage with a lot of interesting and different technologies, great place to be exposed to new things, quite challenging and you get thrown into a lot of deep water. How well you do and how fulfilling you find it is largely dependent on luck- join at the right time, luck onto a great project team, hit the right timing when fresh contract money is flowing in the door and you'll likely enjoy it here.
Siloed organization that stifles creativity and value generation
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB4 September 2014
This organization is not just siloed by tiers, but the tiers actively fight and compete with each other in front of the client. Knowledge is rarely transferred effectively and a steady stream of people passing through roles make solving even simple problems more rigorous and difficult than they should be.

As an independent consultant, you may have a different experience altogether as some friends have stayed with CGI for some time. If you are working for an IT-outsourced client and intend to stay within your job description, this organization may provide you with a good fit.
Pros
Work flexibility offered and considered as needed
Cons
Requests for training go unanswered and unfulfilled
World Leader in IT Consulting
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2015
CGI is a top provider of IT consulting. Focus on larger contract work around the world. Also offers in-house solutions to clients.
Routine work including Incident tickets,etc and other new fancy technology
Senior System Admin/Network Designer (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 April 2014
it's a good company to learn a lot but company has no good plan to provide the more professional training and career support for individuals.
Productive environment with room for advancement
Administrative Assistant - E-Business (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 January 2014
A typical work day for me varied greatly. I supported the VP of Marketing but I also assisted in getting new US clients in the company. I attempted the liaison between two groups that were merged into our very own 5 team members.
I learned how to look at challenges and tackle them. I learned how to deal with different types of individuals and deal with discretion as well as creating a team.
I truly had a difficult time leaving this workplace and most likely would not have had I not met my husband at this time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to be respected by my peers and being able to help and do a good job.
Pros
Working with professionals
Cons
Leaving to get married
Busy office and lots of work
Executive General Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB29 April 2012
On the fly. Enjoyed being busy.Lots of challenge.learned exceptional time management.Support staff were great.
Pros
lots of work provided to generate income
Cons
small office
Salary is too low
Change Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC27 May 2014
Salary here is too low. Salary increase not enough per year. We used to work 37.5 hrs, than make us work 40 hrs without salary increase. Working hour not too flexible in my department.
Pros
Regular hours
Cons
Not able to work from home, 40 hours/week
Fun place
Production Application Support Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Markham3 February 2015
busy
Good. Gives us full picture of upper management and details of changes
good
good
users
challenges of new issues and troubleshooting them
An employer
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 May 2013
Great co-workers but the company does not know how to benefit from its employees. If you are marketable then you are good to them, otherwise, they do not invest in the employee.
Pros
It pays me a salary
Cons
It has no clue how to deal with its employees