CGI Group Employee Reviews in Canada

Not a place you'd want to stay more than a couple of years
Senior Consultant, Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BCJune 19, 2015
Can be a great place to engage with a lot of interesting and different technologies, great place to be exposed to new things, quite challenging and you get thrown into a lot of deep water. How well you do and how fulfilling you find it is largely dependent on luck- join at the right time, luck onto a great project team, hit the right timing when fresh contract money is flowing in the door and you'll likely enjoy it here.
World Leader in IT Consulting
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABNovember 3, 2015
CGI is a top provider of IT consulting. Focus on larger contract work around the world. Also offers in-house solutions to clients.
Great benefits, but with a few downfalls
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 25, 2015
It is a great place to get a start in your career, just don't get stuck in the service desk analyst job. It can be high stress and the amount they pay for you to do that job isn't great, but it's suppose to be a stepping stone into what you really want to do.

The benefits they offer are quite good though. almost healthcare (including dental), investment matching, retirement, etc. It honestly made working there a lot better.

The people I worked with were quite good, even if it was quite transient at the service desk side.
Pros
great benefits, lots of training
Cons
transient, lower pay, high stress
Not a satisfying experience
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 14, 2015
Honestly, not one of the most memorable places that I have worked at. I would not recommend this company to my friends and acquaintances. Management talks about how great a place this is to work, but they don't seem to believe it themselves.
Pros
Recession-proof
Cons
Low pay; experience not valued
Learning new things and handling a lot of huge task to make me a better person.
Chef D'équipe Réseau (Current Employee) –  MontrealMay 20, 2015
Arrive at Office, Review any new work (or help request) tickets and emails and escalations
Follow-up on any unfinished tickets from the day before.
Team Meetings with various departments.
Client Meeting
Hardest part of the job was satisfying everyone in a timely fashion.
Required status reporting on multiple levels.
Pros
Work from home if you can
Cons
Health benefits
Micro-Managed!
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 1, 2015
At CGI there is no balance between life and work. Management is non-existent, except micro-management. Co-workers for the most part are good to work with, there are some bad apples as with any place of employment.
Not the greatest
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJuly 9, 2015
The way the company had treated me the second time around was very disrespectful. Would not personally recommend for people to work here. Not open to change or new ideas. Lags behind its major competitors.
Cons
very organized
Free lunch and dinner being held in our lunch room
Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 29, 2015
Day starts with the night shift to day-shift turn-overs.
Then checking emails for any instructions from the manager, special requests from the clients.
Checking the output queues for daily printing.
Prioritizing the immediate printing of sameday service clients.
Inserting the first printed batch while co-workers still printing the remaining reports.
The hardest part is when a client calls and makes a special requests of urgent printing. That request will screw up our schedule for the days output. Enjoyable part is when everybody pitches in including the manager just to make sure that the request is done making sure that the client is satisfied and happy.
Before the day's end the manager threats us with food and drinks.
Pros
Free lunches and sometimes dinner.
Great School
Helpdesk Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 12, 2015
CGI is a school by itself..it is the first company that exposed me to ITSM and ITIL at work. Gave me understanding on how to manage a support center and all the QA and metrics.
the problem with CGI is that the pay is not that great, but it would be a great gateway for those looking to launch their careers.
Pros
advancement, structured
Cons
low pay wages
Director Consulting Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 11, 2015
Good place to work, the organisation need little more maturity in terms of process and integration between various business units.
Not a great place to work
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 28, 2015
I found the culture and moral was very low. I was never excited to go to work. I did enjoy working for my boss and the team. There always seemed to be a lot of politics.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Long hours with no compensation
Transcriptionist
Transcriptionist / Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABDecember 30, 2014
Transcribe Insurance Investigation reports with the use of a dictaphone and ensure reports are completed in a timely and accurate manner
Maintain great attention to detail
Ensure the rules of FOIP are followed when dealing with documentation handling
Assist adjusters with all aspects of report handling
Set up of new claims for file handling
Good company start your career
Learning and Development Consultant for Canada (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONJune 16, 2015
Good company start your career and grow.
Great team environment.
Effective Leadership
Importance given to Work-life balance
Dynamic Event coordinator
Administrative Coordinator, Global Communications (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 22, 2014
A typical day at work would be to begin the day with team meetings to discuss upcoming events, communications, presentations, etc. for the President that had to be addressed and coordinated.

I learned to become a team player and developed leadership skills during the time I was there. I was given the opportunity to share my ideas and intentions to improve the company development.

I worked with fantastic, dynamic colleagues that made my work environment very pleasant.
Pros
shareholder of company and great benefits
Cons
large teams that prevented mgmt to meet with employees
Co-workers were great
Computer Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Our company was taken over by CGI Group and the pay and benefits were on par with other companies at the time. They were very flexible on what time you arrived as long as you put in a full day which was nice on those days that you just wanted to sleep in. The corporate culture was difficult to navigate as they expected the employees to make up any work time missed during natural disasters or take it as unpaid or vacation. Overall I had a good experience due to the quality of the co-workers I was able to work with every day.
Pros
great co-workers, flexible times, possible work from home
Cons
corporate culture
Siloed organization that stifles creativity and value generation
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NBSeptember 4, 2014
This organization is not just siloed by tiers, but the tiers actively fight and compete with each other in front of the client. Knowledge is rarely transferred effectively and a steady stream of people passing through roles make solving even simple problems more rigorous and difficult than they should be.

As an independent consultant, you may have a different experience altogether as some friends have stayed with CGI for some time. If you are working for an IT-outsourced client and intend to stay within your job description, this organization may provide you with a good fit.
Pros
work flexibility offered and considered as needed
Cons
requests for training go unanswered and unfulfilled
Productive environment with room for advancement
Administrative Assistant - E-Business (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 22, 2014
A typical work day for me varied greatly. I supported the VP of Marketing but I also assisted in getting new US clients in the company. I attempted the liaison between two groups that were merged into our very own 5 team members.
I learned how to look at challenges and tackle them. I learned how to deal with different types of individuals and deal with discretion as well as creating a team.
I truly had a difficult time leaving this workplace and most likely would not have had I not met my husband at this time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to be respected by my peers and being able to help and do a good job.
Pros
working with professionals
Cons
leaving to get married
Decent place to work with
Java Developer (Former Employee) –  MarkhamJuly 23, 2013
The position and work environment is very good, but the upper managements are not doing so well, they like play politics, compete with each other and as a result, messed up some of the big ongoing project. Project went bad, the department lost the project, lost the client, project got scrapped, upper managements resigned, then a new guy come in to take over, and he just let half the people in the floor just so he could make the net income look nicer on the quarterly report, only to prove to the higher bosses that he can fit into the new shoes.
Pros
good for work and learning
Cons
politics and other uncontrollable factors
Excellent learning experience
Senior Technical Team Leader assisting Manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 29, 2013
A typical day at work for me consists of emails, conference calls, projects, managing sla's, KPI's, and managing my employees.
CGI has an excellent structure and was a terrific learning experience for me in many aspects.
To me communication is a very important aspect to succeed as a manager and i am very keen on this with my employees on a daily basis.
Pros
great stability and great core values.
Cons
low salaries, outsoursing, no advancement.
Poor employer if you are consulting / client sites
Process Improvement (Former Employee) –  TorontoMarch 6, 2013
Overall, your work day is your average work day.
Management is always changing, and overall have little contact with anyone. Relationships are a secondary aspect in my view.
Co workers are fine, but can tell they too are unsure about CGI.
Very little room for aggressive movement and promotion. Status quo. Management does lead people on (destroys morale).
No progressive increases (actually they manipulated the time/numbers so people earned LESS)
Pros
good if you like working for a large entity that moves you to different locations.
Cons
no increases, management dubious, no assistance to move ahead in career.