CGI Group Employee Reviews

World Leader in IT Consulting
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB3 November 2015
CGI is a top provider of IT consulting. Focus on larger contract work around the world. Also offers in-house solutions to clients.
What i have learned
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC23 October 2015
After having 3 1/2 years experience in IT industry including my stage at CGI and obtaining a college certificate in Network Administration, I am still learning, but form day to day i fell more secure. Since that period i have learned a lot and from the first day till today i become more confident and efficient doing any task to meet the requirements demanded by my unit and the clients.

In the same time i have started to use various techniques and methods with they helped me to finish my tasks and increase my experience in the IT domain.I have also visited some clients on site to do the necessary job ,and in the same time i have started to be more efficient in testing applications and software for the client using different platforms and techniques.
In the last few months I've started to prepare documents and templates to describe the procedure of QA testing.
Horrible Place to Work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON6 October 2015
Too much politics and favoritism. There is no chance of advancement. No chance of a long stay either.

Poorly organized and poorly qualified management.

Management do not like people who are innovative or think out side of the box even though the company claims they want people like this in their company.
Pros
Health Spending Account, Share Purchase Plan
Cons
Severe micro-management, unqualified management and leadership.
It has not changed here in awhile. It's a good learning ground if you aren't expecting work/life balance
Service Delivery Manager (Former Employee) –  Markham, Ontario5 October 2015
There is a lot to do, but it is difficult to advance if you do not match a specific mold. You can get stuck without advancement for awhile
Micro-Managed!
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON1 September 2015
At CGI there is no balance between life and work. Management is non-existent, except micro-management. Co-workers for the most part are good to work with, there are some bad apples as with any place of employment.
Director Consulting Services (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 August 2015
Good place to work, the organisation need little more maturity in terms of process and integration between various business units.
Poor management workplace
IT consultant (Former Employee) –  Montreal quebec24 July 2015
I worked 4 years in CGI Montreal IT department
Poorly managed from an employee perspective, compensation below market, no room for advancement. Duties increase, salary does not. No concrete training accepting every job anytime from clients, but not time to properly train the employees, only eyes on money and save costs.
And every good politics to save money, overtime not paid, yes they said it is their politic to save it (bank it ) up to 40h then your manager will ask you to take time off, you will be force to work statutory holidays and never get paid all you will get is a random day off. The salary is way below the industry standard, 16$/h while Desjardin, TD, Deloitte employees doing the same job were 25$/h
No carrier advancement for non-white, yes I said, if you are real Quebecois you get your way easily, and all the good comments are from them because they advance and get everything for less effort. From My VP, director, manager none of them had an university degree, but the employees had a Bsc to Msc. You have to know someone there to advance, a lot of family member of the VP were working there with no IT degree but were advancing at the speed of light.
After 3 years most of my colleagues got depress and were on medical leave, including me.

Team environment was very good (among colleagues, and my last manager was good too, the previous was horrible)
I hope this will help you
Pros
CGI as a whole is a good company, nice team environment
Cons
Low wage, poor management in my department
Not a satisfying experience
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 July 2015
Honestly, not one of the most memorable places that I have worked at. I would not recommend this company to my friends and acquaintances. Management talks about how great a place this is to work, but they don't seem to believe it themselves.
Pros
Recession-proof
Cons
Low pay; experience not valued
Highly professional management & staff with great work ethic and values. Good work does not go un-noticed and culture of life-work balance is strong
Executive Assistant to VP, BBM & Cust Ops (Current Employee) –  Montreal, Quebec, Canada14 July 2015
Workplace full of interesting and intelligent people, diverse and professional. Hard work and innovation are the cornerstones of this company and they really live up to their values. A strong culture of life-work balance is prevalent and personal growth and development are not only encouraged, but required. Member recognition is a regular and practiced occurence.
Pros
Ability to occasionally work from home, regular fun events, strong social club activities; gym and kiniesiologists on worksite, great downtown location, conveniences in the building.
Cons
Can't think of one.
Not the greatest
Recruitment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON9 July 2015
The way the company had treated me the second time around was very disrespectful. Would not personally recommend for people to work here. Not open to change or new ideas. Lags behind its major competitors.
Cons
very organized
Not a place you'd want to stay more than a couple of years
Senior Consultant, Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 June 2015
Can be a great place to engage with a lot of interesting and different technologies, great place to be exposed to new things, quite challenging and you get thrown into a lot of deep water. How well you do and how fulfilling you find it is largely dependent on luck- join at the right time, luck onto a great project team, hit the right timing when fresh contract money is flowing in the door and you'll likely enjoy it here.
Good company start your career
Learning and Development Consultant for Canada (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON16 June 2015
Good company start your career and grow.
Great team environment.
Effective Leadership
Importance given to Work-life balance
Not a great place to work
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 May 2015
I found the culture and moral was very low. I was never excited to go to work. I did enjoy working for my boss and the team. There always seemed to be a lot of politics.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Long hours with no compensation
Stay away
Consultant -Full (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS25 May 2015
Pros
Secure position
Cons
Salary, no advancement
Great benefits, but with a few downfalls
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK25 May 2015
It is a great place to get a start in your career, just don't get stuck in the service desk analyst job. It can be high stress and the amount they pay for you to do that job isn't great, but it's suppose to be a stepping stone into what you really want to do.

The benefits they offer are quite good though. almost healthcare (including dental), investment matching, retirement, etc. It honestly made working there a lot better.

The people I worked with were quite good, even if it was quite transient at the service desk side.
Pros
great benefits, lots of training
Cons
transient, lower pay, high stress
Learning new things and handling a lot of huge task to make me a better person.
Chef D'équipe Réseau (Current Employee) –  Montreal20 May 2015
Arrive at Office, Review any new work (or help request) tickets and emails and escalations
Follow-up on any unfinished tickets from the day before.
Team Meetings with various departments.
Client Meeting
Hardest part of the job was satisfying everyone in a timely fashion.
Required status reporting on multiple levels.
Pros
Work from home if you can
Cons
Health benefits
Productive and fun place to work
CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON18 May 2015
Interesting (customer site), but productive place to work.Learned a lot in ITIL Service Manager practice in corporate environment.
Pros
comany size
Cons
work hours
Canadian Proposal Managers at CGI
Senior Consultant - Proposal Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 April 2015
There's never a typical day as a Proposal Manager at CGI. The projects change weekly, bi-weekly and bi-monthly. Employees are called Members which is to ensure that members of the company feel tied to the company's personality and results. The most challenging part of this job in Canada is the high-stress role and orientation to deadlines. Project deadlines must be set and met. Individuals need to have a high degree of patience and stress tolerance to be able to compete and complete projects on time. Overall the company is a leader in Canada, and has some great people. The company has a long standing list of managers which were promoted within - this is a double edged sword. The good news is, CGI insiders or members with history are kept and keep climbing the corporate ladder; on the backside of this picture is poor management education. Few to minimal Canadian Manager at GIS Canada possess an MBA or higher management education. As a result, GEN-Y culture within the company is low and the employee turnover is quite high. New talent is always being sought.
Pros
Work from home, Flexible hours, independence, career progression
Cons
High stress, poor management education in Canada, solitary
A great place to build an IT career
Test Analyst - Various Clients (Former Employee) –  Stratford, PE20 April 2015
A very good culture to work in. You are encouraged to grow your skills. There is a very good social and community engagement with the company also.
Free lunch and dinner being held in our lunch room
Senior Operator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2015
Day starts with the night shift to day-shift turn-overs.
Then checking emails for any instructions from the manager, special requests from the clients.
Checking the output queues for daily printing.
Prioritizing the immediate printing of sameday service clients.
Inserting the first printed batch while co-workers still printing the remaining reports.
The hardest part is when a client calls and makes a special requests of urgent printing. That request will screw up our schedule for the days output. Enjoyable part is when everybody pitches in including the manager just to make sure that the request is done making sure that the client is satisfied and happy.
Before the day's end the manager threats us with food and drinks.
Pros
Free lunches and sometimes dinner.