CGI Group

CGI Group Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Poor management workplace
IT consultant (Former Employee), Montreal quebecJuly 24, 2015
Pros: CGI as a whole is a good company, nice team environment
Cons: Low wage, poor management in my department
I worked 4 years in CGI Montreal IT department
Poorly managed from an employee perspective, compensation below market, no room for advancement. Duties increase, salary does not. No concrete training accepting every job anytime from clients, but not time to properly train the employees, only eyes on money and save costs.
And every good politics to save money, overtime not paid, yes they said it is their politic to save it (bank it ) up to 40h then your manager will ask you to take time off, you will be force to work statutory holidays and never get paid all you will get is a random day off. The salary is way below the industry standard, 16$/h while Desjardin, TD, Deloitte employees doing the same job were 25$/h
No carrier advancement for non-white, yes I said, if you are real Quebecois you get your way easily, and all the good comments are from them because they advance and get everything for less effort. From My VP, director, manager none of them had an university degree, but the employees had a Bsc to Msc. You have to know someone there to advance, a lot of family member of the VP were working there with no IT degree but were advancing at the speed of light.
After 3 years most of my colleagues got depress and were on medical leave, including me.

Team environment was very good (among colleagues, and my last manager was good too, the previous was horrible)
I hope this will help you
Canadian Proposal Managers at CGI
Senior Consultant - Proposal Manager (Current Employee), Toronto, ONApril 24, 2015
Pros: Work from home, Flexible hours, independence, career progression
Cons: High stress, poor management education in Canada, solitary
There's never a typical day as a Proposal Manager at CGI. The projects change weekly, bi-weekly and bi-monthly. Employees are called Members which is to ensure that members of the company feel tied to the company's personality and results. The most challenging part of this job in Canada is the high-stress role and orientation to deadlines. Project deadlines must be set and met. Individuals need to have a high degree of patience and stress tolerance to be able to compete and complete projects on time. Overall the company is a leader in Canada, and has some great people. The company has a long standing list of managers which were promoted within - this is a double edged sword. The good news is, CGI insiders or members with history are kept and keep climbing the corporate ladder; on the backside of this picture is poor management education. Few to minimal Canadian Manager at GIS Canada possess an MBA or higher management education. As a result, GEN-Y culture within the company is low and the employee turnover is quite high. New talent is always being sought.
Fast paced and diverse IT consulting firm
Project Delivery Officer (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: dynamic, friendly co-workers
Cons: did not have a permanent desk
4 months as a PDO reporting to Program Manager providing project support tasks for 2 accounts.

Typical tasks:
- Creating weekly defect reports that illustrated the progress of the testing stage and identified areas of risk that required immediate attention.
- Preparing client presentation packages on a daily basis; updating project statuses, creating reports as requested by client or manager, communicating with client about project issues
- Attend meetings with internal and external executives, preparing and distributing meetings minutes to participants
- Providing daily project support to my team as well as other tiers

My prject team at CGI consisted of friendly and hard working managers, often worked along other tiers and managers.

Hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable and rewarding which was that it was often times unpredictable, client-centric and overall, required results-driven attitude to get things done on short-notice.
What i have learned
IT Consultant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCOctober 23, 2015
After having 3 1/2 years experience in IT industry including my stage at CGI and obtaining a college certificate in Network Administration, I am still learning, but form day to day i fell more secure. Since that period i have learned a lot and from the first day till today i become more confident and efficient doing any task to meet the requirements demanded by my unit and the clients.

In the same time i have started to use various techniques and methods with they helped me to finish my tasks and increase my experience in the IT domain.I have also visited some clients on site to do the necessary job ,and in the same time i have started to be more efficient in testing applications and software for the client using different platforms and techniques.
In the last few months I've started to prepare documents and templates to describe the procedure of QA testing.
OK place to work only if you don't have to interact with other CGI groups
Consultant (Current Employee), Ottawa, ontarioApril 12, 2014
Pros: ok pay, basic benefit package.
Cons: go there only if you can stop caring about things like being productive.
The process gods rule. Co-operation between groups is non-existent. Some employees' reason for living appears to be to create whatever roadblocks they can for other groups.
Company is really many different companies stuck together with gum. Everyone has their own standard way of doing things. Submitting simple requests becomes a nightmare even for seasoned employees because every helpline (and there are many) requires different procedures for requests and they keep changing them.
Employees are treated as commodity. To make up for it they're called member. Of course member is just a nice way of saying d*ck.
Productive environment with room for advancement
Administrative Assistant - E-Business (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: working with professionals
Cons: leaving to get married
A typical work day for me varied greatly. I supported the VP of Marketing but I also assisted in getting new US clients in the company. I attempted the liaison between two groups that were merged into our very own 5 team members.
I learned how to look at challenges and tackle them. I learned how to deal with different types of individuals and deal with discretion as well as creating a team.
I truly had a difficult time leaving this workplace and most likely would not have had I not met my husband at this time.
The most enjoyable part of the job was to be respected by my peers and being able to help and do a good job.
Siloed organization that stifles creativity and value generation
Senior Consultant (Former Employee), Moncton, NBSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: work flexibility offered and considered as needed
Cons: requests for training go unanswered and unfulfilled
This organization is not just siloed by tiers, but the tiers actively fight and compete with each other in front of the client. Knowledge is rarely transferred effectively and a steady stream of people passing through roles make solving even simple problems more rigorous and difficult than they should be.

As an independent consultant, you may have a different experience altogether as some friends have stayed with CGI for some time. If you are working for an IT-outsourced client and intend to stay within your job description, this organization may provide you with a good fit.
Free lunch and dinner being held in our lunch room
Senior Operator (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Free lunches and sometimes dinner.
Day starts with the night shift to day-shift turn-overs.
Then checking emails for any instructions from the manager, special requests from the clients.
Checking the output queues for daily printing.
Prioritizing the immediate printing of sameday service clients.
Inserting the first printed batch while co-workers still printing the remaining reports.
The hardest part is when a client calls and makes a special requests of urgent printing. That request will screw up our schedule for the days output. Enjoyable part is when everybody pitches in including the manager just to make sure that the request is done making sure that the client is satisfied and happy.
Before the day's end the manager threats us with food and drinks.
Poor employer if you are consulting / client sites
Process Improvement (Former Employee), TorontoMarch 6, 2013
Pros: good if you like working for a large entity that moves you to different locations.
Cons: no increases, management dubious, no assistance to move ahead in career.
Overall, your work day is your average work day.
Management is always changing, and overall have little contact with anyone. Relationships are a secondary aspect in my view.
Co workers are fine, but can tell they too are unsure about CGI.
Very little room for aggressive movement and promotion. Status quo. Management does lead people on (destroys morale).
No progressive increases (actually they manipulated the time/numbers so people earned LESS)
Highly professional management & staff with great work ethic and values. Good work does not go un-noticed and culture of life-work balance is strong
Executive Assistant to VP, BBM & Cust Ops (Current Employee), Montreal, Quebec, CanadaJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Ability to occasionally work from home, regular fun events, strong social club activities; gym and kiniesiologists on worksite, great downtown location, conveniences in the building.
Cons: Can't think of one.
Workplace full of interesting and intelligent people, diverse and professional. Hard work and innovation are the cornerstones of this company and they really live up to their values. A strong culture of life-work balance is prevalent and personal growth and development are not only encouraged, but required. Member recognition is a regular and practiced occurence.
Decent place to work with
Java Developer (Former Employee), MarkhamJuly 23, 2013
Pros: good for work and learning
Cons: politics and other uncontrollable factors
The position and work environment is very good, but the upper managements are not doing so well, they like play politics, compete with each other and as a result, messed up some of the big ongoing project. Project went bad, the department lost the project, lost the client, project got scrapped, upper managements resigned, then a new guy come in to take over, and he just let half the people in the floor just so he could make the net income look nicer on the quarterly report, only to prove to the higher bosses that he can fit into the new shoes.
Lack of Project Test Management Hinders Quality
Sr. Performance Tester (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 31, 2012
Pros: good consulting company
Cons: lack of project test management
This is a warning message is for experienced performance testing consultants in Toronto GTA area, which could apply for Sr. Performance Tester position at CGI in Toronto.
The Manager of CTQ Performance Group in Toronto hired me for 6 month contract opportunity in 2011, but he could interrupt this acting contract any day due to "money issue". As result, I worked 3 months only from my 4 month performance testing engagement.
This Manager of CTQ Performance Group is very experienced Performance Tester, but he never worked before CGI even as a Performance Test Lead, and he has a lack of capable leadership and project estimating / management, which definitely affects on quality of consulting services in performance testing field.
I left CGI in Toronto on the previous week.

January 4, 2013

The contractor was let go for many reasons. Specifically: 1) Lack of knowledge of Loadrunner 2) Very poor communication skills 3) Always complaining 4) Unable to meet deadlines

Co-workers were great
Computer Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, flexible times, possible work from home
Cons: corporate culture
Our company was taken over by CGI Group and the pay and benefits were on par with other companies at the time. They were very flexible on what time you arrived as long as you put in a full day which was nice on those days that you just wanted to sleep in. The corporate culture was difficult to navigate as they expected the employees to make up any work time missed during natural disasters or take it as unpaid or vacation. Overall I had a good experience due to the quality of the co-workers I was able to work with every day.
Great benefits, but with a few downfalls
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee), Regina, SKMay 25, 2015
Pros: great benefits, lots of training
Cons: transient, lower pay, high stress
It is a great place to get a start in your career, just don't get stuck in the service desk analyst job. It can be high stress and the amount they pay for you to do that job isn't great, but it's suppose to be a stepping stone into what you really want to do.

The benefits they offer are quite good though. almost healthcare (including dental), investment matching, retirement, etc. It honestly made working there a lot better.

The people I worked with were quite good, even if it was quite transient at the service desk side.
customer needs Matter most
Senior Helpdesk technician (Current Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 25, 2015
CGI is a huge company with lots of rules to follow. for a big company to run smoothly, you will expect that.
the company is really focus on customer satisfaction so the emphasis is stress on that.
the hardest part of the job are for those dealing directly with costumers via phone calls. the costumers are quite exigent
but when you work as a back office is much fun, less stress, and lots of encouragements from the managing team.
employee training is at the heart of the company. so lots of training either personal and collective are available
Not a place you'd want to stay more than a couple of years
Senior Consultant, Project Manager (Current Employee), Victoria, BCJune 19, 2015
Can be a great place to engage with a lot of interesting and different technologies, great place to be exposed to new things, quite challenging and you get thrown into a lot of deep water. How well you do and how fulfilling you find it is largely dependent on luck- join at the right time, luck onto a great project team, hit the right timing when fresh contract money is flowing in the door and you'll likely enjoy it here.
Dynamic Event coordinator
Administrative Coordinator, Global Communications (Former Employee), Montréal, QCSeptember 22, 2014
Pros: shareholder of company and great benefits
Cons: large teams that prevented mgmt to meet with employees
A typical day at work would be to begin the day with team meetings to discuss upcoming events, communications, presentations, etc. for the President that had to be addressed and coordinated.

I learned to become a team player and developed leadership skills during the time I was there. I was given the opportunity to share my ideas and intentions to improve the company development.

I worked with fantastic, dynamic colleagues that made my work environment very pleasant.
Learning new things and handling a lot of huge task to make me a better person.
Chef D'équipe Réseau (Current Employee), MontrealMay 20, 2015
Pros: Work from home if you can
Cons: Health benefits
Arrive at Office, Review any new work (or help request) tickets and emails and escalations
Follow-up on any unfinished tickets from the day before.
Team Meetings with various departments.
Client Meeting
Hardest part of the job was satisfying everyone in a timely fashion.
Required status reporting on multiple levels.
Overall it was a decent place to work
Account Manager - Business Development (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMay 19, 2013
Managed Sales Cycle from Opportunity Identification to contract signature. Responsible for Technology Planning and Planning Strategic Initiatives with Senior Client Management.
Managed sales for infrastructure projects for Desktop, Help Desk and Messaging Sales Funnels (Generated $3.62M in revenue in 2005) (Generated $7.33M in revenue in 2006) (Generated $8.9M in revenue in 2007) (Generated $12.5M in revenue in 2008)
Sought new sales opportunities for outsourcing services
Managed client relationship and Developed Strategy and Business Plan for the team
Horrible Place to Work
Analyst (Former Employee), Markham, ONOctober 6, 2015
Pros: Health Spending Account, Share Purchase Plan
Cons: Severe micro-management, unqualified management and leadership.
Too much politics and favoritism. There is no chance of advancement. No chance of a long stay either.

Poorly organized and poorly qualified management.

Management do not like people who are innovative or think out side of the box even though the company claims they want people like this in their company.
Headquarters
1130 Sherbrooke St. West 7th Fl.
Montreal QC, Canada