CGI Group Employee Reviews in Canada

Management is not that good
Financial Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 5, 2016
Management is not that happy with your progress until they are progressing .
There is favoritism not on the basis of performance, but on the basis of buttering
Pros
Good to start your career with IT
Cons
Not good for long term, no growth
Good for entry level and students
Consultant (Contract) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMarch 22, 2016
Great company to get industry experience. Hard to grow your career, and the management is not good. Work environment is friendly for the most part.
Pros
It's a job
Cgi
it project manager (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 18, 2016
Not a bad company to work for when you start off. However advancement is slow and management direction is poor. The organisation need little more maturity in terms of process and integration between various business units.
Pros
Many offices to choose from, with many different types of job paths.
Cons
Directors are basically empty suits.
Horrible Place to Work
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONOctober 6, 2015
Too much politics and favoritism. There is no chance of advancement. No chance of a long stay either.

Poorly organized and poorly qualified management.

Management do not like people who are innovative or think out side of the box even though the company claims they want people like this in their company.
Pros
Health Spending Account, Share Purchase Plan
Cons
Severe micro-management, unqualified management and leadership.
It is good place to stay but not to grow.
Senior Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJanuary 12, 2016
Job security.
Life and work balance.
No raise in salary for anyone.
Flexible working hours.
Have at least one training per year.
Very friendly environment.
Pros
Balancing work and life
Cons
Not a good place to grow
Multinational company that sometimes forget the littlle people
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 12, 2016
The company has a great concept on success. Many process and option to ensure greatness. The breakdown happens on the lower echelons when some of the teams lose sight of these and forget that a company is built on the shoulders of 3 things (Clients, shareholders and members) not only 1 (clients).
Pros
Large company that has a well defined company goal
Cons
Management sometimes forget that we are all human
good opportunites and challege environment
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMarch 2, 2016
A lot of opportunities in CGI which you can grow your career. I have learned a lot and gained very good experience in CGI. But the job is not secure since you have to look for the job all the time from one project to the next project.
Pros
challege and good opportunites
Cons
job is not secure
Excellent
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONMarch 18, 2016
Innovated company with excellent management and employee relations. A great product with excellent co workers and workplace environment. No issues with this employer.
Pros
flexiability
Cons
beta software tools
Poor management workplace
IT consultant (Former Employee) –  Montreal quebecJuly 24, 2015
I worked 4 years in CGI Montreal IT department
Poorly managed from an employee perspective, compensation below market, no room for advancement. Duties increase, salary does not. No concrete training accepting every job anytime from clients, but not time to properly train the employees, only eyes on money and save costs.
And every good politics to save money, overtime not paid, yes they said it is their politic to save it (bank it ) up to 40h then your manager will ask you to take time off, you will be force to work statutory holidays and never get paid all you will get is a random day off. The salary is way below the industry standard, 16$/h while Desjardin, TD, Deloitte employees doing the same job were 25$/h
No carrier advancement for non-white, yes I said, if you are real Quebecois you get your way easily, and all the good comments are from them because they advance and get everything for less effort. From My VP, director, manager none of them had an university degree, but the employees had a Bsc to Msc. You have to know someone there to advance, a lot of family member of the VP were working there with no IT degree but were advancing at the speed of light.
After 3 years most of my colleagues got depress and were on medical leave, including me.

Team environment was very good (among colleagues, and my last manager was good too, the previous was horrible)
I hope this will help you
Pros
CGI as a whole is a good company, nice team environment
Cons
Low wage, poor management in my department
good company
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 5, 2016
Salary increments will be less, but good place to work
work from home option is available. very big company so lot of opportunities to grow
Good Company
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 14, 2015
Pros:
Flexible with work hours
Good options for personal development

Cons
Career is self managed
Client and project circumstances determine the career advancement. You may not get to work on the projects that you want to work due to the client demands.
Great benefits, but with a few downfalls
Service Desk Analyst (Former Employee) –  Regina, SKMay 25, 2015
It is a great place to get a start in your career, just don't get stuck in the service desk analyst job. It can be high stress and the amount they pay for you to do that job isn't great, but it's suppose to be a stepping stone into what you really want to do.

The benefits they offer are quite good though. almost healthcare (including dental), investment matching, retirement, etc. It honestly made working there a lot better.

The people I worked with were quite good, even if it was quite transient at the service desk side.
Pros
great benefits, lots of training
Cons
transient, lower pay, high stress
Canadian Proposal Managers at CGI
Senior Consultant - Proposal Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 24, 2015
There's never a typical day as a Proposal Manager at CGI. The projects change weekly, bi-weekly and bi-monthly. Employees are called Members which is to ensure that members of the company feel tied to the company's personality and results. The most challenging part of this job in Canada is the high-stress role and orientation to deadlines. Project deadlines must be set and met. Individuals need to have a high degree of patience and stress tolerance to be able to compete and complete projects on time. Overall the company is a leader in Canada, and has some great people. The company has a long standing list of managers which were promoted within - this is a double edged sword. The good news is, CGI insiders or members with history are kept and keep climbing the corporate ladder; on the backside of this picture is poor management education. Few to minimal Canadian Manager at GIS Canada possess an MBA or higher management education. As a result, GEN-Y culture within the company is low and the employee turnover is quite high. New talent is always being sought.
Pros
Work from home, Flexible hours, independence, career progression
Cons
High stress, poor management education in Canada, solitary
Highly professional management & staff with great work ethic and values. Good work does not go un-noticed and culture of life-work balance is strong
Executive Assistant to VP, BBM & Cust Ops (Current Employee) –  Montreal, Quebec, CanadaJuly 14, 2015
Workplace full of interesting and intelligent people, diverse and professional. Hard work and innovation are the cornerstones of this company and they really live up to their values. A strong culture of life-work balance is prevalent and personal growth and development are not only encouraged, but required. Member recognition is a regular and practiced occurence.
Pros
Ability to occasionally work from home, regular fun events, strong social club activities; gym and kiniesiologists on worksite, great downtown location, conveniences in the building.
Cons
Can't think of one.
Don't treat employees very well
Senior Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QCMay 25, 2016
You get the general feeling that you are only a number rather than an employee. I have run into many former employees from CGI throughout my employment career, and they all seem to share stories of the same unpleasant employment experience.
Cgi
IT Project Manager of Operations (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 18, 2016
CGI great company to work for if you are looking to work in IT
I would recommend to anyone, good people and very knowledgeable.
The down side people promoted is only chosen my favoritism, that is the reason I left CGI
Pros
Good people
Cons
Bonus
customer needs Matter most
Senior Helpdesk technician (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 25, 2015
CGI is a huge company with lots of rules to follow. for a big company to run smoothly, you will expect that.
the company is really focus on customer satisfaction so the emphasis is stress on that.
the hardest part of the job are for those dealing directly with costumers via phone calls. the costumers are quite exigent
but when you work as a back office is much fun, less stress, and lots of encouragements from the managing team.
employee training is at the heart of the company. so lots of training either personal and collective are available
Not a great place to work
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMay 28, 2015
I found the culture and moral was very low. I was never excited to go to work. I did enjoy working for my boss and the team. There always seemed to be a lot of politics.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Long hours with no compensation
What i have learned
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCOctober 23, 2015
After having 3 1/2 years experience in IT industry including my stage at CGI and obtaining a college certificate in Network Administration, I am still learning, but form day to day i fell more secure. Since that period i have learned a lot and from the first day till today i become more confident and efficient doing any task to meet the requirements demanded by my unit and the clients.

In the same time i have started to use various techniques and methods with they helped me to finish my tasks and increase my experience in the IT domain.I have also visited some clients on site to do the necessary job ,and in the same time i have started to be more efficient in testing applications and software for the client using different platforms and techniques.
In the last few months I've started to prepare documents and templates to describe the procedure of QA testing.
Co-workers
QA Analyst/Senior QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONNovember 13, 2015
The most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues, everybody helped each other and always traded information
Pros
Treats Fridays
Cons
Long hours at certain times