CGI Group Employee Reviews

Great Team
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 October 2017
Friendly environment, I worked with a great team. Nice culture, however the majority of positions are sent to offshore. Good benefits. Management changed recently and they should try to know better the employees.
Lieu de travail loin du centre-ville
Conseiller principale (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC6 October 2017
Nécessite un transport supplémentaire. Lieu de travail confiné, espace petit.
Lay off's and re-structuring, Off shore hiring is the name of the game at CGI
Business Systems Analyst/ Consultant (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON26 September 2017
I have worked two rounds at CGI....Expect the lay off AX any time during your stay at CGI. They call it company wide re-structuring when they lay off good knowledgeable staff who worked hard. On the other side they hire staff from Off-shore...due to cheap labour. It is an ongoing process. At CGI staff say "you are good as today" your tomorrow at CGI is questionable. Think twice before getting on board. The good old staff left CGI long ago...or being laid off. Lots of new comers with No experience are now running the show. The management are happy as long as they get their pay cheque being deposited twice a month. Good-Luck CGI. Keep hiring OFF-SHORE....
Productive and Happy workplace
HR Officer - On the Job Training (Former Employee) –  Philippines21 September 2017
Everyday involves a lot of interaction among colleagues, workplace culture is vibrant and never boring. Management is fair and open to suggestions. This is a BPO company located in Philippines.
Pros
Energetic company
Cons
slow paced advancement
Great work experience
SharePoint And Java J2EE Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicoutimi, QC19 September 2017
I love working there, very positive experience and nice professional ambiance. The only thing I don't like is the lower salary... Great advantages with the stock plan they give you.
Public company.
Senior Business Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2017
If you are unfortunate to be on a failing project you will feel the hurt somehow (fired or sent to work out of Thornhill). They promote horizontal movement available across projects but the Directors of Consulting Services (DCS) mostly try to protect themselves.Employees try to mask the fear or keep their heads very low.
Pros
Multi-national company
Cons
Employees are called members but are regarded as pions
CGI Group
QA Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 September 2017
CGI is a consulting company which would place you to clients for mostly working at client locations. At client site, you will be working on different projects. Usually, there is a client interview before you are selected to work at that client.
Not a great place to work
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2017
CGI is a large company with a lot of processes that are out of date and make working difficult. The culture at CGI is one of "us against them". Teams don't work together and there is no feeling of togetherness. CGI only cares about the numbers which leads to a lot of unhealthy work environment traits - ie CGI informs members there is a lot of room for movement, however if a member is trained and good at what they do, it is very difficult to move to another position because of the monetary value now associated with the training that went into that one individual.
Pros
There are some really great pockets in CGI with good bosses and coworkers.
Cons
The business cares more about the numbers then the people.
Progessive company, I worked there very long ago.
MANAGER, CREDIT CARD PROCESSING (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 August 2017
Great place to work. As Manager I managed several departments and problem solving was key. Accounting an Finance were key aspects to my role so audit and control was the most important aspect of my job. Human Resources such as hiring, firing, promotions and development were part of my role.
Pros
close to where I lived
Cons
Stressful. tight schedules
Good Company Overall
Director, Consulting Services (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2017
Overall a good company with good vision. They have a few leaders that are rough around the edges, but they are usually successful in their pursuits and delivery.
Pros
Strong opportunities and leaders
Cons
Too many office politics at the higher levels
Looking for Permanent Position with Advancement opportunity
Scanning Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 August 2017
Hard working and reliable willing to take on any tasks, looking for permanent full time career with advancement opportunity. Willing to begin in an entry level position.
Pros
Steady Work
Cons
Temporary
great work life balance
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 August 2017
Great work life balance. Not necessarily the highest pay or benefits. Not great opportunities for growth. Good place to start a career. Great for retirement.
Good start
QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON28 July 2017
CGI is a good place to start at but not a good place to stay. If you are looking for advancement go somewhere else after max 2 years. Pay is terrible, raises very small.

When I worked at the CGI office, if I turned to talk with someone about anything not work related the team lead would put a quick stop to it (sorry but should be able to talk to fellow employees). The worked me like a dog, no down time allowed

When I work at client site it is much better atmosphere as you get to live that company culture. Still no matter how much the client likes you it is not reflected in your yearly reviews. (the reviews have no impact on your income)
Pros
Stock purchase
Cons
Management treats employees like dogs
un environnement agréable à travailler
Conseillers en gestion et informatique (Current Employee) –  Quebec City, QC28 June 2017
un environnement où nous avons du plaisir à travailler ensemble et en tant que propriétaires, nous participons au développement de l'entreprise
Pros
remboursement frais transport
Canadian IT consulting firm with strong male gender bias
Project and Service Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 May 2017
CGI is closely held by the founder and very profitable. For shareholders it's an excellent investment. For employees it's a big machine that produces revenue. This is a good place to learn and grow but caring about the client or the quality of the work is reserved for those below director level; above that the focus is on the pursuit of profit.
Pros
Broad span of technologies to learn about and work with
Cons
Not so much enphasis on helping clients be smarter; more on relieving them of their IT budgets
Interesting company to work for, doing different things
IT Consultant working for various organizations (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS and Moncton, NB and Fredericton, NB25 May 2017
Good company in general. The have profit sharing in the form of shares in the company. If you like working on different contracts with different companies as a consultant, this is a great company. When not on contract they offer training to their employees. Only issue I had was I had a supervisor that wouldn't do my yearly performance review/pay increase for 2 straight years.
Pros
profit sharing
Cons
most times off-site so don't get to meet peers
Great pay bad work/life balance
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Montreal, Canada2 May 2017
The corporate office has a lot of new management that insist on making their own (avoidable) mistakes instead of learning from the past. Management has a lot to be desired
Pros
great pay
Cons
everything else
few raises
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 April 2017
Raises were infrequent. Usually had a re-org in Sept (fiscal year-end)
Stock purchase was a good deal they match you up to 3%.
Depending on the project days could be very long. Clients were varied and we provided their IT Dept. Most of the people I worked with were knowledgeable and easy to get along with.
Pros
Benefit flexability and Health Spending account. Stock purchase plan
Cons
Uncertainty of job security
Great company
Unix System Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 April 2017
CGI is the first North America company I worked with after I immigrated from Japan to Canada in 1996. When I first get to Canada and started looking for a job, almost all the company asked me: "Do you have Canadian experience". easy question, kind of hard for me to answer. The four years' experience at CGI help me to get established in Canada, a great company!
Lots to learn
Kinesiologist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON12 April 2017
This placement was a good introduction to everything you can do with Kinesiology in terms of health and fitness, health promotion, ergonomics. I learned a lot, and not every day is the same which allows for a lot of variety.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at CGI Group. Our community is ready to answer.