The Ottawa Integrative Cancer Centre (OICC) has been established to serve as a model interdisciplinary healthcare centre providing whole-person complementary and integrative care to people with cancer, cancer survivors, and those seeking primary and secondary cancer prevention. The OICC is formally part of the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM). CCNM, a registered charity, is Canada's premier institute for education and research in naturopathic medicine. As a stand-alone Centre, the OICC will provide a work environment characterized by a small team working to provide excellent support to medical practitioners and patients.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, dedicated and experienced Physiotherapist to serve as an integral member of the OICC. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, and working with the OICC healthcare team, the incumbent will support the OICC's patient base by participating in the care and enhancing the quality of life of patients living with or looking to prevent primary cancer or its recurrence.
The successful candidate will assess the status of patients and carry out individually designed treatment programs in coordination with the interdisciplinary team to achieve the patient’s goals through physiotherapy. Other responsibilities include documenting all aspects of the therapeutic processes in the patient’s medical record, discussing treatment progress with members of the interdisciplinary team, providing feedback to external practitioners in the form of progress notes, and educating the patient and family members to reinforce treatment programs. As a member of the integrated health professional team, he/she must participate in team building and work collaboratively through team meetings, quality education, inter-referrals, shared medical records etc. This position will also be involved in collaborative interdisciplinary research and projects as required.
Hours will be flexible to start with a goal of having two (2) consistent full days each week as the practice builds. The Clinic hours are currently from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (Monday to Friday); appointments must be scheduled within clinic hours.
- Post-secondary degree from an accredited physical therapy program or equivalent education as recognized by the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
- Current registration in good standing with the College of Physiotherapists of Ontario
- Minimum one (1) year of related cancer care experience preferred
- Working knowledge of/and familiarity with CAM therapies, especially naturopathic medicine preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as interpersonal skills to deal with patients, their families, other health care team members and the community
- Good time management skills
- Fluency in French an asset
- Experience working with electronic medical records an asset
- Ability to exercise professional judgment in a highly confidential environment
Deadline for applications is Friday, June 21, 2013.
On the covering letter, please indicate the title of the position that you are applying for and where you saw this job advertisement. We thank all applicants in advance and advise that only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
The clinic is located at 29 Bayswater Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario www.oicc.ca