The Ottawa Integrative Cancer Centre (OICC) has been established to serve as a model interdisciplinary healthcare centre providing whole-person complementary and integrative care to people with cancer, cancer survivors, and those seeking primary and secondary cancer prevention. The OICC is formally part of the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM). CCNM, a registered charity, is Canada's premier institute for education and research in naturopathic medicine. As a stand-alone Centre, the OICC will provide a work environment characterized by a small team working to provide excellent support to medical practitioners and patients.
We are seeking an enthusiastic, dedicated and experienced Case Manager to serve as an integral member of the OICC. Reporting to the Clinic Manager, and working with the OICC healthcare team, the incumbent will support the OICC's patient base by participating in the care and enhancing the quality of life of patients living with or looking to prevent primary cancer or its recurrence. This position is a part-time, contract position for approximately three (3) months, with the possibility of an extension.
The successful candidate will support the OICC by being the first contact of patients and managing their care options consistent with integrative care values. This position will promote effective communication between patients, practitioners, and operational staff through ongoing and active dialogue. It is designed to support patients in navigating integrative care and managing health concerns. Other responsibilities include documenting all aspects of the therapeutic processes in the patient’s medical record, discussing treatment progress with members of the interdisciplinary team, providing feedback to external practitioners in the form of progress notes, and educating the patient and family members to reinforce treatment programs. As a member of the integrated health professional team, he/she must participate in team building and work collaboratively through team meetings, quality education, inter-referrals, shared medical records etc. This position will also be involved in collaborative interdisciplinary research and projects as required.
The position requires 16-24 hours per week. The Clinic hours are currently from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a Health Care Practitioner, including direct care of cancer patients
- Experience in palliative care/end of life counseling
- Integral understanding, including first-hand experience, of complementary modalities is required
- Familiarity working with MS Office and EMR applications an asset
- Fluency in French is an asset
- Familiarity with Provincial and Federal legislature policies governing the Naturopathic profession in Ontario including Personal Health Information Protection Act and PIPEDA
- Ability to communicate effectively– both orally and in writing
- Must be flexible, discrete, diplomatic, tactful, and compassionate
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to interact effectively with coworkers and patients alike
- Effective negotiation and conflict management skills to deal with a wide variety of practitioner and patient needs and situations
- Ability to exercise professional judgment in a highly confidential environment
- Demonstrate high level of empathy and emotional intelligence
Deadline for applications is Friday, June 28, 2013
On the covering letter, please indicate the title of the position that you are applying for and where you saw this job advertisement. We thank all applicants in advance and advise that only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
The clinic is located at 29 Bayswater Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario www.oicc.ca