Manager – Media Relations
CAPP requires a Manager, Media Relations. The successful candidate reports to the Vice President of Communications and is responsible for delivering a multi-faceted media relations program on behalf of Canada’s upstream oil and natural gas industry.
You will be part of a team that manages a variety of issues and projects across stakeholder, public, media and government relations. The oil and natural gas industry touches all Canadians through direct impact to our economy, our environment and our energy mix. The role and positions of Canada’s oil and natural gas producers on a range of economic, environmental and energy issues is covered extensively by Canadian and international news media. As CAPP’s Manager of Media Relations you will be comfortable with having a high profile on important business, social and environmental issues, and must enjoy a fast-paced, challenging work environment.
The Manager of Media Relations oversees the day-to-day activities and ongoing development of two Media Relations Advisors and interacts with CAPP technical and policy experts and members on an ongoing basis.
The successful candidate will:
- Act as the primary media contact for the Association;
- Act as a spokesperson with print, radio, TV and online media;
- Identify and prepare senior leaders and others for media interviews as needed;
- Work with CAPP committees and member companies directly to develop and execute media relations plans on specific issues and events, including general industry media education trips/tours, announcements of industry activities/positions/changes, milestones, operating practices, reporting practices, etc.
- Organize response to inaccurate media articles about the upstream oil and gas industry;
- Write and disseminate media materials, including key messages, releases, advisories, and speaking notes;
- Organize networking and briefing opportunities for journalists, CAPP members and other technical experts;
- Advocate for continuous improvement in communications and media relations within CAPP and among the industry;
- Manage CAPP’s issues management matrix with input from other CAPP staff and key committees;
- Manages and develops measurement tools to assess effectiveness of various initiatives and overall strategy;
- Oversee media monitoring.
- Strong judgment; thoughtfulness
- Innovative, team player
- First-rate writing and editing skills
- Experience working under deadlines
- Experience speaking and writing about complex and difficult issues
- Strong understanding of trade associations and business’ role in society, media’s role in society and journalistic operating procedures
- Strong understanding of social media
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, changing business environment
- Ability to understand but not necessarily agree with other peoples’ viewpoints
- Ability to communicate in challenging environments
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Balanced ego, good sense of humour
- Degree in public relations, communications or journalism degree and 10 years of related experience are required for this position
- Designation / accreditation from the International Association of Business Communicators and / or the Canadian Public Relations Society considered an asset
A background in the oil and natural gas sector is an asset.
CAPP offers all its employees a competitive compensation and benefits package; professional development opportunities; exposure to key industry members; and involvement in major industry issues in a stimulating, open, and professional work environment.
Please send your cover letter and resume in confidence by March 29, 2013 with “Manager – Media Relations” in the subject line. We thank those that respond. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more please visit our website at www.capp.ca.
The Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) represents companies, large and small, that explore for, develop and produce natural...