Reporting to the Managing Director of Canada Homestay International (CHI) the Relationship Manager (RM) plays a critical role in ensuring the overall success of the homestay program in their community. The RM has the ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with international students, host families, and school personnel. This position requires sound and reliable judgment as all decisions affect students, hosts, schools and, ultimately, CHI’s client relationships and reputation in the community.
To perform the duties of the job, flexible working hours are required including weekdays, weeknights and weekends. This position requires a home office setup that allows for work to be performed without unnecessary distractions, with a reliable high speed internet connection.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 2 years experience working full time in a cross-cultural environment with community agencies or in an educational setting. The candidate must have cultural awareness and experience living overseas is considered an asset.
- Develop a local network of host families through a variety of marketing efforts;
- Screen and personally interview potential host families and conduct all follow-up due
- Select suitable host families for all new students, while ensuring that host availability,
matching criteria, and student preferences are observed;
- Correspond on a regular basis with hosts, students, agents, and/or schools;
- Ensure that relevant and timely notes are accurately recorded in the company database;
- Regularly review host profiles for accuracy of information in accordance with applicable
- Continually develop relationships with both new and existing hosts in the region;
- Develop and maintain an effective working relationship with regional hosts, schools and
school board staff;
- Support the regional team with relocations, host education, student orientation, and school
- Collaborate with regional colleagues, host families and students in working through issues
regarding homestay problems and cultural differences and respond to crisis situations in a
prompt and caring manner;
- Perform other assigned duties that are within the area of knowledge and skills required by the
- Maintain professional, friendly, and prompt service at all times.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of general office procedures
- Working knowledge of spreadsheet, word and database software products
- Demonstrated ability to compose effective business correspondence
- Demonstrated ability to work independently; taking initiative and discretion in determining
- Demonstrated problem solving and organizational skills
- Demonstrated positive interpersonal and communication skills including conflict resolution
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team and maintain relationships with others
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain relationships with the local community
- Knowledge of homestay policies and procedures
- Knowledge of international students and their cultures
- An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered
- Ability to successfully obtain a police clearance
- Ability to work flexible hours as necessary
- Fluency in another language (especially Mandarin) is a strong asset. Additional duties in 1st
language support may be assigned to these candidates.
In addition, all Relationship Managers must have:
- readily accessible and cost effective transportation appropriate for these responsibilities;
- a cell phone for emergency support;
- a digital camera.
- Group benefits (medical, dental, extended health, life insurance) for employees who work
more than 20 hours per week; and
- The ability to telecommute from home.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and a covering letter stating your salary expectations by 5:00pm PST before February 1, 2013 to:
hr at canadahomestayinternational.com
WHEN APPLYING, PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU OUTLINE HOW YOUR TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE SPECIFICALLY RELATE TO THE JOB REQUIREMENTS.
SUBMITTED RESUMES SHOULD BE SAVED IN .doc, .docx OR .pdf FORMAT WITH YOUR NAME IN THE FILENAME (for example: Joe_Smith.doc).
PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICANTS WILL ONLY BE CONTACTED IF THEY ARE SELECTED TO PROCEED FURTHER IN THE PROCESS.
CANADA HOMESTAY INTERNATIONAL IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLES OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY.