C.H. Robinson

C.H. Robinson Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun workplace for sales and logistics experts
Sales Account Manager (Former Employee), MontrĂ©al, QCApril 3, 2012
Pros: people
Cons: stressfull at times.
Great company, great benefits, perks, competitive workforce and excellent training.
Fun workplace. everyone is like your family.
Operations Associate (Former Employee), Shreveport, LADecember 15, 2014
Fun workplace. everyone is like your family. Management was always willing to help.
Productive work environment
DATA ENTRY (Former Employee), Elk Grove, ILDecember 13, 2014
Pros: learned good communication skills with the ability to interface with customers, vendors and internal personnel
Cons: can be very tedious at times
- Verify federal data records in contrast with company documents for accountability and taxation purposes.
- Obtain and annotate necessary adjustments with authenticated data to ensure correct information and the mitigation of inaccuracies.
- Through proper coordination with pertinent personnel, I was entrusted with cross-referencing essential reports – more... prior to departmental accounting.
- Transcribe selected data into a computer and scans source documents in accordance with specific program instructions;
- Answer phone or assists at counter and provides information, as required. – less
Busy and enjoyable place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee), West Memphis, ARDecember 10, 2014
Pros: in west memphis
Cons: company moved to chicago.
Loved working for this company. Phones were very busy. The busier the better.
Hard work, bad work/life balance
Systems Analyst (Former Employee), Eden Prairie, MNDecember 9, 2014
Pros: overtime
Cons: public ridicule
Typical Support role. Heavy Metric based grading for performance. Difficult environment to thrive in.
Organization and Prioritizing is key.
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 9, 2014
Organization and Prioritizing is key. Self Motivation will go a long way.
Don't try too - hard too fast
Sales Executive (Former Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 2, 2014
Pros: lots of younger people, room to learn a lot from the few people that are left
Cons: one manager to at least 20 people, usually much much more. leaves a lot up in the air about what's allowed and not
The company is the best in the industry, and the largest in the industry. That being said, it has the downfalls that fit that bill.
Since it's so large, it makes selling the service easier. This means that if you sell too much too fast, you'll feel under appreciated (because you are). The commission structure isn't set up for people to "snatch and grab" – more... their way through their first few years, though it seems like it would be. There's a decently high turnover rate (maybe not in comparison to the industry as a whole since there are so many start ups) but this means that accounts will be handed down. You will not get any of these if you're bringing in new business at a fast pace, which is fine since they dock the percentage you get from "legacy accounts." However, if you get to the commission/ draw level faster than 18 months, you just have to deal with it. I had a huge problem with that since they say "once you've hit the level for 3 months in a row, you can chose to go on commissions."
I hit it around the 1 year mark with some "legacy accounts" and mainly new business, but by the time that the end of the next 6 months rolled around I was at 3x the commission level in branch revenue and wasn't paid on it.
Just a helpful concern. – less
TEAM Mentality that impacted day to day activities, and more importantly future compensation.
BUYER (Former Employee), Orange, CADecember 1, 2014
My office was great. Classic Work-Hard, Play-Hard mentality. Allowed me to deal with many large Fortune 500 Companies while also operating with many Mom-and-Pop business'. Management and Co-Workers were great; it's just tough/grinding work.
Productive, great co-workers, easy to advance.
Support Information Specialist (Current Employee), Chicago, ILDecember 1, 2014
Pros: benefits, pto, calm environment.
Cons: easy work, no challenge, short lunch.
Great benefits, good work environment and the work is easy. Though if you're looking for a challenge this job isn't for you. You will mostly be met with repetitive work that offers little to no mental challenge.
Assisting Truck Drivers
Shipment Information Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 30, 2014
Pros: learned to multi-task
Cons: short breaks, no privacy while working, treated like a child
My typical day at work would be to ask a lead for a seating chart to see where they placed me for the day. Then I will start to make sure that I sign into my User Name and set everything up that I need to assist the drivers. I've learned a lot about truck drivers with what they need to become a driver and how fast they can lose their license. The management – more... needs a lot of improvement with how they treat us simply with giving us our privacy on our computers and trusting that we are doing right by our binders which had everything we needed to fix any issue that comes our way. The hardest part of the job was just having to deal with the managers which we call "Leads". What I mean by having to deal with them is having to be treated as if we are new to the job and have no idea what we are doing there. We were basically treated as children. The only and I mean only Enjoyable part of the job was if our system went down or Lunch. – less
Worst place to work, EVER!
Brokerage (Former Employee), Chicago areaNovember 14, 2014
Pros: none. maybe the benefits.
Cons: everything.
I learned nothing from this place. Co-workers were all part of the mean girls club. Really! People were made managers just because of who they are friends with, not for deserving. Place is run by kids who think they know everything. I will be happy when they find out how the real world really is and they don't always get there way.
Best part of working – more... there? When it was Phoenix International! – less
Good Company, just needs to be the right fit for you.
Buyer (Former Employee), Sartell, MNNovember 13, 2014
Pros: free friday lunch, lots of mid 20's & 30's workers
Cons: lots of phone time
Start in a procurement type role, very sales like. Lots of phone time and warm-calling.

Good environment, decent pay, strong leadership. Just make sure the job is the correct fit for you.
CH Robinson
Sales Executive (Current Employee), Kansas City, MONovember 9, 2014
Pros: i enjoyed my coworkers a lot, they were good people who worked hard.
Cons: not one person really felt fulfilled at this company. stuck around simply out of security.
10 hour days with little to no flexibility.
Initial goals were vague and not properly trained to new employees.
Having Fun while making things happen
Buyer / Logistics Broker (Current Employee), Sugar Land, TXNovember 3, 2014
A great company to start your carrier with. A fun young cultured work environment, but fast paced and results driven.
Productive place to work. Great Advancement opportunities.
Transportation Logistic Account Manager (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: lack of diversity
A fast paced company which allows you to be challenged. Great place to learn about the 3PL and logistic field. This is a enjoyable work place the job culture is very open to new ideas and career development.
Fast Paced, Ever Changing
Buyer (Former Employee), Sartell, MNOctober 23, 2014
Every day is different which made the job exciting. You needed to be able to adapt quickly and think on your feet.
nice place to work
Troubleshooter (Former Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 19, 2014
Pros: able to come in early
Cons: n/a
enjoyed working there the people were ok. Able to learn new things
Awesome team environment.
Buyer (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXOctober 14, 2014
Awesome team environment. Management and fellow employees always willing to support each other. High pace environment comparable to the New York Stock Exchange.
Sports
Transportation Sales Representative (Former Employee), Kalamazoo, MIOctober 13, 2014
Supporting a family business is awesome! Helping beginners experienced ball players find what they are looking for.
Terrible place to work 10 years ago
Data Warehousing Data Architect (Former Employee), Eden Prairie, MNOctober 9, 2014
Pros: coworkers
Cons: management, terrible work environment
When I started working there about a decade ago, the mentality was that technology was something like electricity, an expense that needed to be reduced, that CHR was not a technology company. It really is - it uses complex logistics solutions to route and track shipments. Instead, it was all about the sales and old timers using push pins to map out – more... truck routes.

There are horror stories about the the IPO and all the technology workers not being offered stock, while the sales and business people all became millionaires overnight. Apparently most quit their jobs immediately.

I was hired to be an architect, but found myself doing ETL coding in a high pressure environment. They misrepresented what the position was, and it took me two years to find a way out.

They did not pay for training during my two years there, or even books. One unforgettable day, I came in to work to find all my expensive technology books gone that I had paid for. Some manager decided she would create an IT library using the tech books that the employees had paid for themselves. She did not leave a note explaining what she had done, and my boss had to find out what happened. They were not even nice or apologetic about doing it. Needless to say, I took my books and brought them home.

Another time, I referred a friend for a high level management job. They set him up with a series of interviews, but did not tell him who any of the people were. He called me and asked about these people. Someone overheard me talking to him and I wound up in my manager's office being fired for giving out manager names and titles to a recruiter. Once I explained what I was doing, I was given a very quick apology and not fired. I told my friend what had happened, and he withdrew his application. That was the day I posted my resume and was out of CHR a week later.

The rank and file tech workers were great. The management was the problem. Hopefully ten years later, the old guard is gone and my former coworkers are now managers, but I doubt it.

I have never been in a worse work environment. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About C.H. Robinson

C.H. Robinson—accelerating careers with immense opportunities and professional growth within the global supply chain industry. – Read more